What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

Prodigygrower

Veteran
I know right?... we owe Frank a lot.

Microbial activity in organic soil produces abundant co2, you can easily achieve more than double regular atmospheric levels, ime. The larger the volume of soil the better obviously, so a bed is ideal.

Had I discovered this earlier in life I would have saved a lot of money and numerous experiments to produce co2 .

See these are things I’m just getting into I’m so excited I’m upgrading the next run to 4x8 amended beds. This garden will have all the bells and whistles growers choice 720 Roi’s full co2 Emerson ect ect . I’m excited to see what the ambient co2 levels are in the room prior to to using the co2 with the 4x8 beds in a sealed environment . I mean if I can achieve certain levels of co2 from the beds being in the 600–800 ppm range there imop will be no need to supplement additional c02. This is still a area I’m not very knowledgeable in( VPD ). Idk if those numbers are achievable? As well as what are the optimum levels per your environment + c02 + led spectrum and lightning intensity. There are so many factors to dial in. These things get me excited.
Any way I plan on finding out. l truly want to see the limits I can push organic water only amended soil or like I’ve stated this base recipe frank has put together.
I couldn’t agree more Frank’s contribution to the community here through his knowledge of organic soil composition as well as genetics are a true blessing. I’ve said 1000 times when DF talks dirt or plants I listen because the man knows his shit.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yes I have been following a conversation in another thread on that exact topic. Someone was saying how LED grows require higher temps to get the metabolism of the plant going properly. Same thing with co2 enrichment, you need to raise temps, increase nutes and waterings to take advantage of the co2 boosted plant. I guess the plant is in overdrive so to speak.

So what happens with LEDs that already require higher temps and then you add co2. Do you then run temps higher still?

I guess this will be process of trial and error as LEDs are so recent.

eyesdownchronic

Yes I have been following a conversation in another thread on that exact topic. Someone was saying how LED grows require higher temps to get the metabolism of the plant going properly. Same thing with co2 enrichment, you need to raise temps, increase nutes and waterings to take advantage of the co2 boosted plant. I guess the plant is in overdrive so to speak.

So what happens with LEDs that already require higher temps and then you add co2. Do you then run temps higher still?

I guess this will be process of trial and error as LEDs are so recent.

Interesting topic!

There are two different factors that LED's diminished heat output will have on a grow.

The first, and more regularly discussed one has to do with transpiration. Transpiration (ie water uptake) is dependent on temperature, humidity, as well as light and air flow. LED's put out a lot less heat than traditional HID lighting, and they also dissipate A LOT less humidity out of the air. HID are capable of dissipating out transpirational load in the air, while LED's aren't able to do so, so without proper ventilation and airflow, one will quickly run into transpirational issues. This can lead to wet feet causing root rot problems and such, as well as fungal problems in general. The other frequently described symptom is cal mag deficiency, which is not a function of a lack of cal mag in solution. Ca and mg are both primarily taken up via bulk flow, which means they can only be taken up passively when the plant draws in water. On the other hand, N,P, and K, can all be taken up via diffusion and are therefore less affected.

The other effect of decreased temperature on the grow is related to respiration and ties in with the CO2 point you made.
Its somewhat of a nit picky distinction, but increased temps improving co2 supplementation isnt related to improving co2 uptake or PS. The drivers for photosynthesis are light and co2, temperature has practically no effect. plants will pretty much photosynthesize at the same rate at 70f or 85 f. the increases in "growth", are actually increases in development, and are related to a plants photosynthesis (energy creation) vs. respiration rate (energy usage), ie energy budget. The differential between energy creation (PS) and energy usage (rate of r.) is directly related to plant mass and therefore yield. while rate of respiration is directly tied to plant development (ie rate of growth). as growers, we're really just trying to maintain the highest energy differential (yield), while also trying to run at the highest temperature possible, so as to finish as early as can be. so really, what someone is saying when they say "increasing temps improves co2 supplementation", is that you can get away with a higher developmental rate, while maintaining the same differential, because plants have more energy at their disposal.

ive seen people say that increasing temps improves yield or increases growth, but this is just not true. increasing temps causes a plant to develop faster. measure for that is leaf count. plant size or mass is directly tied to photosynthesis or how much energy a plant has. the difference between growth and development is an important distinction to make.

Point is, increasing photosynthesis, respiration, or transpiration requires similar increases to each of the other variables, to see a positive effect, unless the one improved was the limiting factor. These increases will also increase a plants need for nutrition (in general, not for just ca, or mg.) What this means is that if someone wants to implement a new light, to really see any meaningful improvements, they need to adjust their temperatures and airflow, and possibly feed, accordingly. All these variables are tied in with one another.
**edit. this is still a very simplified explanation. light and temperature also have impacts on a lot other things, such as leaf expansion, hormonal regulation etc.

i think there are a lot of growers who could benefit a whole lot from spending some time going over the fundamentals of photosynthesis, respiration, and transpiration, and then spending a little bit of time thinking about how they all relate to one another. This isnt just throwing shade at the canna community. in the whole horticultural grower world, there seems to be a lack of interest and almost disdain for plant physiology and molecular biology. which is only the very basis of how plants work... instead, people will just latch onto individual tidbits of information, without any frame of reference with which to apply it. the actually bad kind of misinformation isnt the obvious bullshit, its the stuff thats half true, or applies only part of the time. but, people come and treat it as some eternal truth and then get pissed when something doesnt work.

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Still drying:

#1 was taken too long and is sitting heavy amber. That's okay though. She's going to need revegged anyway, because he cuts didn't root. Her numbers and quality will be limited due to needs some nuggets left on. She also needs better light. She also didn't finish with a heavy sour terp in her. Not sure where it went. Maybe it comes back in the dry or cure but as of now, she's just crazy frosty.

#5 - is the biggest plant in the room. She looks like a pure chem clone only. A mash up of Chem 3 and Chem 4. She smells of metallic copper and earthy forest floor and lemon cleaner - but mostly leaves that scent you get in your nostrils after sucking on a penny. Fills the air with it as well. She was taken down @86 days.

She's bigger than #7 and I lost a few buds - maybe 7-10g total on #7 to some interior mold growing along the stem - so I fully expect to find mold on the interior of #5, but I hope not.

#1 -
#2 - 143.3
#3 - 126.2
#4 - 64
#5 -
#6 - 49.2
#7 - 135.3

Current totals, with two plants left. Not too shabby. I'll post more later and get some photos up.

Next run is all rooted and ready to transplant. Pretty much all FAM95 #2 and a couple Snomoji.

dank.Frank

genetic freaked

Veteran
Killed it this round brother..

This looks nothing like a seed run. You hit numbers people try their hardest to hit with trusted clones they been running for years..

I cant wait for you to get Sex Monkey going

picture.php

Mattbho

Nice job just under 2lb is incredible especially dank . Have u smoked #2 yet? I think 1 is a pretty unique plant as well

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
She's bigger than #7 and I lost a few buds - maybe 7-10g total on #7 to some interior mold growing along the stem - so I fully expect to find mold on the interior of #5, but I hope not.

If I may make an inquiry about those plants with the mold along the stem?

I have observed a trait I've noticed amongst those plants that develop mold in the buds. I almost want to refer to it as a pheno type, even though it's more of a trait.

The plants that that get bud mold all have one thing in common! the bud stems do not elongate and the bud forms a hard mass with no air space between it and the stem. The buds that the bud stem elongates even just slightly creates a small air space.

If you KNOW the plant is the type that is prone to bud mold, "cracking" ("training the buds") can prevent the bud mold. by taking the buds and bending them out slightly it helps to make a slight gap
between that bud, the stem, and the buds next to and around it.

I've actually done this and seen cuttings that would get bud mold in a less than 20% humidity and harvested mold free buds.

nickman

Veteran
DF, all I have to say is WOW...!!!... those Fam95 plants all look insane man...!!!... just wicked nice looking plants brother...!!!...

Beautiful work I must say buddy ... ... ...

I’ve really really missed visiting your journal Frank...!!!... I’ve missed this entire place a lot ...!!!... but you how it is - life just gets in the way sometimes and you just gotta do what you gotta do ...!!!...

I’m actually back to growing again and I must say that I’ve seriously missed it so much...!!!... the few months I took off from growing just really sucked and I’m just very happy to be back to doing what I love and enjoy again...!!!...

I’m growing some of OJD’s gear: his Fuel Zkittles x OG Kush dominant male and some East Coast Sour Diesel x Casey Jones x Fuel Zkittles...!!!...

thailer

just stopping by to actually say how dope your plants look instead of just pushing the rep button.....and also just to say

THANKS DF!!!!!
:peacock:

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
Man I’m sorry I haven’t swung bye earlier
Busy w/kids but sheeeit meng I’m blessed to have family/friends like you thank you for being you brother
They plants obviously love your green thumb
There’s more for your freeze as well next time I see ya
Just in case
I found some bangers as well just didn’t keep them just making sure she was stable
Always interesting to see peers definition of elite or to what qualifies for the space of growers sq ft
Big bug bro blessed I/you are

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Found my thread. Made a post. New ICmag. Give me some time to adjust and adapt. I have a lot of updates to post. Lots to discuss and babble about. Lots of plant related reflections.

dank.Frank

Latest posts

Latest posts