What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

GastroGrower

Oh no! So sorry to hear about that. It does sound like an issue stemming from the genetics themselves. It doesn't look like you really stressed them out enough during the grow to cause them to seed up.

I'd say take this opportunity to practice seed starting once they mature enough, haha. Try all different kinds of methods since you can just chuck the seeds once they sprout (since the genetics are in question).

Fiddynut

Oh no! So sorry to hear about that. It does sound like an issue stemming from the genetics themselves. It doesn't look like you really stressed them out enough during the grow to cause them to seed up.

I'd say take this opportunity to practice seed starting once they mature enough, haha. Try all different kinds of methods since you can just chuck the seeds once they sprout (since the genetics are in question).
Good morning GG.
I spent a few hours reading the threads on hermies on icmag last night. More and more I'm thinking that plant was going to do that no mater what. This is really looking like a case of the plant throwing male flowers right after or while putting out female ones. I think I just got unlucky and planted a seed that happened to have that trait. From what I've been reading a lot of the elite's have a slight predisposition and then you put 2 or 3 of them together to make a strain like Blackwater or Larry OG and a few of the offspring are bound to have this issue. Just gotta suck it up and move to the next challenge.

That's great PMA looking on the bright side and using the seeds to practice germination with. I may do some of that. Thanks for the positivity bud...Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

Oh no not the Larry
you had a cookies in there too could it be that.
I had some hermies in my 818 from Swerve but my Maggie cut of it has been rock solid for years. I have six new fem 818 in veg now looking for better pheno. I will be on them now like a hawk especially after they stretch.
I read about abusing a cut with light changes to see if it is likely to hermie before putting in a run in commercial applications, sort of like gas lighting but with different intentions.
I plan on popping my larry in april but being regs I dont think they have the same parents as the fems. I do agree with you though it does happen to a lot of strains. I think less in regs.
Good Reframe play with the seeds.
Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

Oh no not the Larry
you had a cookies in there too could it be that.
I had some hermies in my 818 from Swerve but my Maggie cut of it has been rock solid for years. I have six new fem 818 in veg now looking for better pheno. I will be on them now like a hawk especially after they stretch.
I read about abusing a cut with light changes to see if it is likely to hermie before putting in a run in commercial applications, sort of like gas lighting but with different intentions.
I plan on popping my larry in april but being regs I dont think they have the same parents as the fems. I do agree with you though it does happen to a lot of strains. I think less in regs.
Good Reframe play with the seeds.
Rodehazrd
Good morning Rodehazrd.
Your right it could be either of the Larry's or the cookie. I'm pretty sure it's the Larry 1 because of how full to the top it is and the others seem to be not as much up top. I doubt you'll have the issue with regular seeds as you are right about these being fems. When I got these seeds I didn't know what I know today and thought it would make my grow easer. Not going to be using fem seeds anymore. I'm just going to get regular seeds and pop twice as many as needed and find the best lady's out of them to grow out. Just gotta keep positive and keep learning and growing.

Rodehazrd

Hey fiddy
I had hermie in my last batch of ak47 and they were regular so that won't totally prevent it.
Also I ran my freebies fems and no hermie in mango tango, 707,em dog, and original amnesia.
So it's both luck and genetics In my mind.
I wonder if it's possible to predict like on a breeding square ?
I see folk bashing Swerve of CC but if you keep looking there's real fire in his gear. And some of it is stable.
I hear good things about ace I'm trying the bangi.
Rodehazrd

Last edited:

Fiddynut

Hey fiddy
I had hermie in my last batch of ak47 and they were regular so that won't totally prevent it.
Also I ran my freebies fems and no hermie in mango tango, 707,em dog, and original amnesia.
So it's both luck and genetics In my mind.
I wonder if it's possible to predict like on a breeding square ?
I see folk bashing Swerve of CC but if you keep looking there's real fire in his gear. And some of it is stable.
I hear good things about ace I'm trying the bangi.
Rodehazrd
Good evening Rodehazrd.
I agree with you that it's not just fems or regs but the plant itself is predisposed to hermie for it's own preservation. It's something I have to get better at looking for, finding and just cutting and getting rid of in the future before it messes my whole harvest up. I have no doubt that an experienced grower could do better with these genetics and a new grower like myself is more likely to stress my plants. As we know it's this stress that brings out hermies.

As I said when I got these seeds I didn't know as much as I know now and would have gotten reg seeds if I was buying them today. I'm not going to blame swerve or anyone else because the more I read the more I learn that this just happens sometimes. My first grow was with his genetics and went really well for a first time. I have read the threads that bash cc and also ones that people have had great luck with his beans. It might be something I'm doing wrong and need to fix on my end. That said I still want to try some new gear and heard that Bodhi has some great stuff. I've also read that reg seeds are stronger than fem seeds even if they aren't hermie prone.

Fiddynut

Opinions welcome

Opinions welcome

Greetings friends.
I need to ask your opinions on something. I'm going to watch my last 2 plants closely but they are at least 2/3 seeded. They seem to be stalled out and not progressing any the last few days. I've herd that once they start growing seeds they put all their energy into making the seeds and not into flower and thc production. I really don't want to waist another month trying to finish these if they will never finish up. I have 6 autos in veg that are about ready to go into the flower tent and take advantage of the bigger light. I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses and ditch the other Larry and the Girl Scout and get the tent cleaned up and move on. If I fuck around and spend a bunch of time trying to finish the seedy girls my autos will probably suffer from lack of powerful light. The way the flowering plants are looking they will finish super slow and might be really full of seeds if they do finish anyway. So here are some questions I'd like some opinions on.
Is it true that heavily seeded plants will not finish or will take a long time to finish?
If I don't see any progression should I assume that they are stalled and will suck?
If you were in my situation what would you do?

I was planing on them finishing in 2-3 weeks and would be happy to give them that much time if they look like they will be something good in the end. I don't want to leave them in and have them go an extra 2 or3 weeks to finish since I know I won't get a great harvest anyway.
Thanks in advance for your opinions....Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

well you don't want to continue that gene. I doubt you will see more flowers, but I only ever had a few nanners found seeds in harvest. I would chop.
Hopefully someone can speak to this with some knowledge. I'm only guessing. We're supposed to be having fun here so watching a slow wreck naa.������
Rodehazrd

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
"...once they start growing seeds they put all their energy into making the seeds and not into flower and thc production."

this all the way
once a plant is heavily seeded its goal is to nurture those seeds and not produce the sincemillia flowers we want
she is not trying to produce more flower and she will not pack on the resin like an unseeded plant
you might get a little more maturity in the resin glands present
i dont think it would be worth it to continue these plants unless you were trying to produce seed
/but being very prone to hermi this is not a good mother even for seed

my vote goes "no"

better to cut your loses and clean out the space, like you said the autos will be very happy in their new home

Fiddynut

well you don't want to continue that gene. I doubt you will see more flowers, but I only ever had a few nanners found seeds in harvest. I would chop.
Hopefully someone can speak to this with some knowledge. I'm only guessing. We're supposed to be having fun here so watching a slow wreck naa.������
Rodehazrd
Good evening Rodehazrd.
Thanks and I respect and appreciate your opinion. I've been thinking cut and move on for a couple days but was trying to kid myself into thinking it would improve. I'm going down to get one more look at them and will probably pull the plug. It's hard letting go but I think it's best for the future. Thanks...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

"...once they start growing seeds they put all their energy into making the seeds and not into flower and thc production."

this all the way
once a plant is heavily seeded its goal is to nurture those seeds and not produce the sincemillia flowers we want
she is not trying to produce more flower and she will not pack on the resin like an unseeded plant
you might get a little more maturity in the resin glands present
i dont think it would be worth it to continue these plants unless you were trying to produce seed
/but being very prone to hermi this is not a good mother even for seed

my vote goes "no"

better to cut your loses and clean out the space, like you said the autos will be very happy in their new home
Good evening pop_rocks.
Thanks for being honest and I'm with you and Rodehazrd. Time to move on and focus on the one grow. I was getting pretty busy with both tents packed anyway. Some lessons learned and also that I need to spend a lot of time looking for hermies when flipping next time. Going to recheck tent for light leaks too. Can't be too down and since I can get the autos moved I'll be popping some new seeds in a couple weeks.
Thanks for your opinion and let's hope for a better grow next time. 2017 is still going to be a green year dammit ..Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Greetings friends.
Last night I switched the light off on this grow and the show is just about over. I'm a bit disappointed with how it's ending but trying to stay positive. I learned several things on this grow that will help me in the future. I learned how to take cuttings and get them to root. I learned how topping affects plants and how to get more colas and a much better canopy. I learned that plants don't like to be root bound and I learned how to see symptoms of that. I'll be transplanting at least twice in future grows. I also learned not to be afraid to use nutes even at close to full strength, always starting with low doses and working up. I also learned how to manage space in the tents more efficiently. Nothing to hang my head about.

For now I will keep this thread going and also my auto flower thread. I'll have more time to concentrate on the auto grow and thread. I'll also be poping some new seeds in a couple weeks. When I start these seeds I'll get a now thread going. The new thread will be a continuing grow thread and not focus on one grow at a time since I plan on having mothers, clones, veging plants, and flowering plants at any time in the future. I'll probably call it something like "Fiddy tries to grow plants without seeds".

I'm sorry this wasn't a better show and I want to thank everyone who stopped by and the regulars for being there to read my rambling and sharing their wisdom. You guys make icmag a great place....Fiddy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt

/claps way longer than normal
i dont know why my .gif wont work but i hope you get the point

bravo my man!
i say this grow was a total success!
yeah your yield wasnt close to what you were hoping for but you walked away from this with more than just some good smoke

all those things you mentioned are the hallmarks of a seasoned grower!
how many people do you know who ahve successfully propagated their own plants?
feedings and nutrient strength?
/ who isnt looking for that perfect ratio?

no my friend, this was a great show and i hope its helped you and others here!
they say you dont become a good sailor during calm seas and you are definatly cutting your teeth and stepping up a peg
/a whole peg!!

as far as your new thread?
reserve my spot now man

Fiddynut

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67160&pictureid=1692037&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

/claps way longer than normal
i dont know why my .gif wont work but i hope you get the point

bravo my man!
i say this grow was a total success!
yeah your yield wasnt close to what you were hoping for but you walked away from this with more than just some good smoke

all those things you mentioned are the hallmarks of a seasoned grower!
how many people do you know who ahve successfully propagated their own plants?
feedings and nutrient strength?
/ who isnt looking for that perfect ratio?

no my friend, this was a great show and i hope its helped you and others here!
they say you dont become a good sailor during calm seas and you are definatly cutting your teeth and stepping up a peg
/a whole peg!!

as far as your new thread?
reserve my spot now man
Good evening pop_rocks.
I think the new look icmag is messing with your .gif. I noticed I had to add pics to my auto thread post differently than I normally did. Must be some bugs to work out in this icmag mobile I think they call it.

I think you may be right that this wasn't a failure. I do however need to start really spending the time to look close at every node of my plants every day so that if I have a problem I can deal with it. It seems like the bigger the plant get the harder it is to really focus in and see the nodes and see balls. I've found and booted 5 males form my auto grow and it's so easy to see on the little young plants.
I'll be interested to see how this stuff smokes. At least a couple weeks early and a mix of clear and cloudy trichomes. I'm trying a different style of drying. Since I have low humidity I just striped most of the leaves and hung the whole plant to dry. The one I did Saturday morning is not even close after 5 days. Last time with higher humidity I dried in the tent with the ventilation fan and filter going and it only took like 3 days. This slower dry method might be a good one for me in winter. I'll defiantly put up a smoke report when I sample it.
You are too kind and thanks for the positivity and support.
Your front row spot in the new thread is about ready.
Time to go down and put the autos into their new tent.
Respect...Fiddy

Fiddynut

Update

Update

Greetings friends.
I have a coupe thoughts on some things that may have stressed these plants and contributed to the pollination. I was checking for light leaks a couple days ago. I sat in the tent for several minutes and while I couldn't find any light leaks I discovered that my remote temp and humidity gauge has a tiny red LED that blinks once in a while. Not sure how often it blinks because it only did once during the time I was in there. For such a tiny light it sure is bright in the otherwise pitch blackness of the dark in there. Even if it only blinks once an hour or something it's probably enough to piss off the plants. The only other thing I can think of is the white dusty residue that I found after getting and using an ultrasonic humidifier. I was worried about low humidity and figured I'd try using a humidifier. It didn't do much for the humidity but after a coupe days I noticed a white powdery residue in the tent and on some of the leaves of the plants. I guess it's the minerals from the water that the humidifier was vaporizing. I unplugged it and stopped using it right away but the plants might not have liked the powdery minerals or whatever on them and that might have been a factor. These are just the only things that I can think of that could have been problematic for the girls. Not sure if either was the cause or just a contributing factor. The good news is that I won't be using the humidifier again and I put some tape over the light on the temp remote so I have eliminated these problems.lets hope I have it fixed and the next few grows go well.
I hope everyone has a great weekend and your plants are healthy and happy...Fiddy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
yeah the white powder is prob calcium form the water
do you have hard water where you are at?

im not sure if the tiny blinking light is the cause of the nanners but it dosent hurt one bit to tape over it

hope your new year is off to a great start
how are your new sprouts doing?

Fiddynut

yeah the white powder is prob calcium form the water
do you have hard water where you are at?

im not sure if the tiny blinking light is the cause of the nanners but it dosent hurt one bit to tape over it

hope your new year is off to a great start
how are your new sprouts doing?
Good morning pop_rocks.
I am on well water here and it's both hard and full of iron. We have to use a softener and an iron filter just so it doesn't clog up our faucets and appliances. My wife's house plants don't like the water here so I've never used it on my plants. Since the humidifier didn't really help much with humidity I'm not going to experiment with distilled water or anything.

Not sure about the light either but I've herd that little things like that or the glowing button on a power strip can piss the girls off. I just have to try and remove any thing that could be causing them to stress out.

2017 is going good so far and the autoflower plants are growing and budding up. They get right after it and should be done in a few weeks. That said I have to choose my next seeds to grow. I got a few packs and some freebies a couple days ago and I'm excited to get to pooping some of them. I have 3 Bodhi packs, lemon wookie(lemon diesel x wookie15), granola funk (GSC forum x wookie15), and his chem91 jb x snow lotus. I also have a pack of tony greens gorilla bubble BX1F1. I plan on spending the next few grows going through these packs and finding some good keepers. These will be the first non fem photos I'm working with so I'm trying to get a strategy together for getting the males out and cuttings taken of the girls before final transplant and flip to 12/12. Been reading a lot on icmag lately and want to get cracking ASAP.

Looking like I got 5 quart mason jars of mostly seed free flower from the Larry's and GSC. After drying and trimming and the sample flavors have been pretty good. Defiantly should get me to the next harvest.

I hope your new year is off to a cracking start as well and you and yours are healthy and happy...Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

Hey Now
hope all are well
I think the grow was success too we all learned something. and made some friends.
if a flashing led will make them herm i dont have room for it. we get airplanes all night and never had any trouble with a stable cut. i still wonder which one did it. I want it to be the cookies. since i got larry beans from Swerve too.
when you find that cut like my 818 hang on to it
Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

Hey Now
hope all are well
I think the grow was success too we all learned something. and made some friends.
if a flashing led will make them herm i dont have room for it. we get airplanes all night and never had any trouble with a stable cut. i still wonder which one did it. I want it to be the cookies. since i got larry beans from Swerve too.
when you find that cut like my 818 hang on to it
Rodehazrd
Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
All is well here. Your right I learned a few things and ended up with a few jars of grass too. The quantity was not great considering but the lessons made it more than worth it. Not sure about the blinking light but I just one more thing to eliminate and won't be a problem next time. I also am not currently using the tower fan. I've herd that too much wind can stress them. Like you said I want something more stable that I can abuse a bit and won't turn on me. I have a friend that grows roof top in the city of Oakland with street lights and other city lights all night long and she dosent seem to have these problems. I'm really hoping that I was just unlucky and not that my environment was the cause. Only way to know is to get the next run underway and see if I have better luck next time. I have a lot of new gear to run and I think I'll find some keepers over the next few grows.

Reading threads on icmag about cc it seems like some people have a lot of hermies and others don't have any so may be just luck or the ones who have more problems have harsher environments. So when I was trimming I found one set of balls and it was on the GSC. Judging by the amount of seeding on l1 I'd still say it must have also had some balls but I rushed through the trim and didn't take the time to find them. The others were mostly ok in the tops but the lower 2/3 were all seeded larf. The Larry's taste great. Both are skunky and I love that. My Blackwater had very different tastes between the three but both Larry's taste similar. The GSC has an interesting flavor and the lavender comes through nicely, never tasted any weed like that. More sativa like high as well. All were picked early so not a lot of body buzz. I'm sure you will find a good Larry.
Hoping all is well...Fiddy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
that sounds like some nice smoke
if you have some of the other stuff you grew try mixing the two together!
one will have the clear heads and the other will provide the back end kick

i esp like the sounds f how the gsc smokes
who dosent like a floral/ fruity bud every now and then

thats the weird thing about herrmies
i very rarely see them on any plants indoors or out
/and hope im not jinxing myself to a lifetime of nanners
the one time i did it was because i had left the tent open for several days so the plants were getting a really erratic light schedule
i would like to add i pretty much use only reg seed

i think it was something in the genetics you got but like your idea of checking for any stray light
we can always improve on our grow techniques and this is somehting so easy that unless you need to see that little light, why not cover them all

so what are you planning on goign with next,fiddy?

Latest posts

Latest posts