What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
lurker?!?
shoot,we all know you 3'cho_me
/you sir are on my list of "usual suspects" !

Last edited:

Fiddynut

looks like we have a new friend around!
welcome tl,jr!
please feel free to comment or just post random words of encouragement!
f'nut is a cool guy and we can all learn through his expence!
this goes for you too GG, and anyone else who may be lurking
chime in and lets cheer our man fiddy on!

those chicas are looking great and will soon be ready to multiply
yeah you could take the first set of cuts and then wait a few weeks and take the second
as long as you give them at least a week or so to recover before flpping to flower you will be fine
their nodes are really tight and you may need to take an extra node off to get the cut end deep into the rr cube
lets see how they do and we can think about that later
another idea would be if that lower growth starts to stretching, cut those and try rooting that
in addition to lst on top, im a big fan of lolypopping the bases
it improves yields at the top and provides improved airflow
also,it makes it easier to check on any irrigation gear you may have and just looks neater

will def have to talk to him about the local laws re food trucks
thanks for helping me think this through and sharing what you know
even if it does not pan out i am enjoying learning new things

i hear you on comfort being top priority when you ride!
we are all getting older,man and our priorities grow too!
now its more about having fun and just enjoying the ride
Good evening pop_rocks.
It's great to see new friends the more the better. I'm going to need plenty of advise while I'm learning about this great plant and it's so nice that people like you guys are wiling to share experience and wisdom.

I think the girls are coming along great as well and I'll probably top the #1&2 pretty soon. I'd love to keep that node spacing tight and get more branches with these girls. I'm thinking that more smaller tops would be better than a couple large ones.

I like your idea of taking cuts from lower growth as well. I remember a random thread on icmag I read about cloning where the poster was claiming that cuts from lower branches were stronger than ones from the tops. If I remember it went quite a few pages and there was a lot of discussion and differing views. There were quite a few people who agreed that the lower branches were the best to take cuts of. Since I want them to stay low I'm thinking the first cuts come off the tops and the second ones a few weeks later will come from the lowers.

When I was in my 20's I use to ride all over NorCal on an sv650 with no wind protection and not a very comfortable seat. It wasn't a fast bike but did handle well in the canyons and that was good enough back then. Riding across the bay bridge to work and back every day in the wet sf winters. Never gave a shit. I'd still do it today if I had to but I'd like to think my taste in bikes has matured a bit. I value my comfort a bit more than in those days but the bike has to perform really well too.

On a different note I'm super high from a bowl of my last harvest and I am starting to ramble a bit. It's past my bed time anyway so off to sleepy land I go.

Fiddynut

Guilty. I'm a lurker. I was giggling at your sausage conversation, lol.

#sausagefest

Tri_Cho_Me
Keep your sausage in your pants Tri_Cho_Me. You should have your hands full with your grow anyway:)
I hope things are well with your girls. I enjoy checking in on your grow and look forward to your updates. Let's get a look at those plants of yours. I think you promised pics a couple days ago:)

Fiddynut

Possible problems

Possible problems

I think I have discovered some type of deficiency on my #1 plant. I had a look at the girls last night and the #1 had some very slight spots on her first and second set of leaves. It was hard to see last night but easer to see this morning. Looking back on Sunday mornings pics I don't see it at all so it's defiantly something new. The patchy spots are kind of a yellow/brown/gold in color and toward the edges of the older growth. I looked at a few diagnosis charts and found 4 options that seem to fit. Granted mine are at the very early stages so it's hard to tell. Here is what I found.
1. Potassium (K) deficiency. Yellow or brown spots on older growth. Also mentioned that K deficiency is common in your most vigorous plants.
2. Magnesium deficiency. Same symptoms as above.
3. Phosphorus (P) deficiency. Same symptoms as K def but also red or purple stems. I did notice some of my stems are red on this plant.
4. PH fluctuations or root problems/rot.

My gut says it's a deficiency and not a pH or root problem. I've been pretty consistent with a 6.5 pH when watering them so unless my pH pen is failing me I think I'm good. I'll test runoff next time I water to be sure.
The water I use comes from a natural spring and has a ton of minerals in it. I didn't have and mag deficiency on my last grow and I never had to use cal/mag so I'm doubtfully that lack of mag is causing this. I do have cal/mag so I can add some if need be.
I'm really thinking it's a K or P deficiency. Just a gut feeling but the pictures look the most like what I am seeing on this plant. I'm thinking of giving them a light dose of bloom fert with just P and K and no nitrogen. I have a bottle of fox farm big bloom organic with an N-P-K of 0-0.5-0.7.

Am I just freaking out over nothing or is this something I should try to get under control right away. I have herd people say you can do more damage trying to fix a problem that you don't know what it is. Like I said this just showed up in the last 24 hours or so so I'm trying to be proactive and do the right thing.

Anyone want to give me their opinion of what is going on please be my guest. Also any advise or tips on whether to do something right away or to watch them for a couple days first. They will be due for water in a day or two so if I'm going to supplement the water with something I can do it then. Here are 2 pics the first under halogen light and the second under floro's.

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Cloning isnt to difficult , keep moist not dripping dont mist directly and make sure the tray stays warm and humid o and wait lol...thanks fr the compliment ny plants actually happier now than ever, need to post mre pics honestly been a while for me...

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
I think I have discovered some type of deficiency on my #1 plant. I had a look at the girls last night and the #1 had some very slight spots on her first and second set of leaves. It was hard to see last night but easer to see this morning. Looking back on Sunday mornings pics I don't see it at all so it's defiantly something new. The patchy spots are kind of a yellow/brown/gold in color and toward the edges of the older growth. I looked at a few diagnosis charts and found 4 options that seem to fit. Granted mine are at the very early stages so it's hard to tell. Here is what I found.
1. Potassium (K) deficiency. Yellow or brown spots on older growth. Also mentioned that K deficiency is common in your most vigorous plants.
2. Magnesium deficiency. Same symptoms as above.
3. Phosphorus (P) deficiency. Same symptoms as K def but also red or purple stems. I did notice some of my stems are red on this plant.
4. PH fluctuations or root problems/rot.

My gut says it's a deficiency and not a pH or root problem. I've been pretty consistent with a 6.5 pH when watering them so unless my pH pen is failing me I think I'm good. I'll test runoff next time I water to be sure.
The water I use comes from a natural spring and has a ton of minerals in it. I didn't have and mag deficiency on my last grow and I never had to use cal/mag so I'm doubtfully that lack of mag is causing this. I do have cal/mag so I can add some if need be.
I'm really thinking it's a K or P deficiency. Just a gut feeling but the pictures look the most like what I am seeing on this plant. I'm thinking of giving them a light dose of bloom fert with just P and K and no nitrogen. I have a bottle of fox farm big bloom organic with an N-P-K of 0-0.5-0.7.

Am I just freaking out over nothing or is this something I should try to get under control right away. I have herd people say you can do more damage trying to fix a problem that you don't know what it is. Like I said this just showed up in the last 24 hours or so so I'm trying to be proactive and do the right thing.

Anyone want to give me their opinion of what is going on please be my guest. Also any advise or tips on whether to do something right away or to watch them for a couple days first. They will be due for water in a day or two so if I'm going to supplement the water with something I can do it then. Here are 2 pics the first under halogen light and the second under floro's.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1666221&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1666222&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Ph problems not a big deal those leaves will diie off neway

Fiddynut

Cloning isnt to difficult , keep moist not dripping dont mist directly and make sure the tray stays warm and humid o and wait lol...thanks fr the compliment ny plants actually happier now than ever, need to post mre pics honestly been a while for me...
Good morning tleaf. Cloning is defiantly something I need to learn that will make me a better grower. I'm sure it will just take some practice and being patient. I usually need to do something successful a few times to get confident and I hope to start getting practice in a couple weeks.
I find doing these diaries kind of force me to post pics and talk about my thoughts. It gives me a way to vent when I'm freaking out about my plants. Glad your plants are happy and healthy.

Fiddynut

Ph problems not a big deal those leaves will diie off neway
So maybe it is a pH thing after all. I was looking back on my first grow and I had some yellow spots on some of the leaves when they were young as well. Maybe the roots aren't developed enough to fully support all the growing they are doing. I suppose the plant might be moving nutrients to new growth because that is where it needs it most.
I'll keep a close eye on them for the next few days and make sure it doesn't spread or start getting much worse. For the time being I'll try not to worry so much.
Thanks for giving me your opinion. I am learning a lot but have a ton more to learn and confidence to gain.

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Well the rust spots are calcium def. But not because you dont have enough in your nutes but because of lickout. You have to familiarize yourself with the ph lockout chart..

Fiddynut

Well the rust spots are calcium def. But not because you dont have enough in your nutes but because of lickout. You have to familiarize yourself with the ph lockout chart..
Thank you tleaf. I'm sure I've seen the chart in the past but didn't think about looking at it in this case. I see that Ca and Mg are locked out below 6.5 and P isn't as available as it should be according to one of the charts I was just looking at. I'm going to water at 7 next time and check the pH of my runoff.
I'm surprised that my pH is out of whack this early in the grow. Maybe it's because I use water with a high pH and a lot of minerals to buffer. I have to use more pH down and maybe when the water evaporates some of the acidic stuff is left behind and is bringing my soil pH down too much.
This has me thinking about my last grow and how yellow some of my leaves got early in flower. Maybe I was having lockout then as well. It also has me thinking about amending my soil a bit to help this from happening. Shows me how much I have to learn still just basic things.
Thanks a lot for sharing some knowledge and wisdom with me. You have been a big help.

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
no problem, testing the runoff will def help figure out if the ph is outta whack. 6.5 to 7.0 nutrient work well for soil but be careful because after constantly pouring a solution in your soil will lower or raise the pH past inaproapiate levels. its best to ph accordingly to how their looking.

after checking the runoff water with a pH thatll bring your soil to a good pH.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
good to see others joining in the fun!

i agree with checking the ph in the run off
right now the plants are small and like tl,jr mentioned, those are the first leaves to go as the plan grows
but if there is an imbalance we want to identify it
i forget which fox farm soil you are running but i know the ocean forest i use is about 6.8
i run my feedings at about 7 as i think the soil drifts lower with time
i think because of your light feedings build up is less an issue once you get to larger containers but there should be enough nutrients in the fresh bag mix to sustain your plants at this stage so i would go light on any additives

have you ever tested the ph of your water?
how about after a day of letting it sit in the air?
how about after running it through a charcoal filter?
/just throwing some ideas around

once you get a good mother establish, maybe you could run your own test and see where on teh plant produces the best clones
im kind of on the fence but like the clones taken from larger stems
i just take the lower growth as root it because i would ahve thrown it away so not much to loose
i kind of feel that plant health and overall cloning conditions prob play the largest role in rooting success

Fiddynut

no problem, testing the runoff will def help figure out if the ph is outta whack. 6.5 to 7.0 nutrient work well for soil but be careful because after constantly pouring a solution in your soil will lower or raise the pH past inaproapiate levels. its best to ph accordingly to how their looking.

after checking the runoff water with a pH thatll bring your soil to a good pH.
Sounds good tleaf. Looks like I have to raise the pH of the water I'm giving them a bit. I guess I need to flush once in a while so the acid doesn't build up and mess with my soil pH. I've never herd of pH'ing based on how plants look but it makes sense to me. Thanks for the input.

Fiddynut

good to see others joining in the fun!

i agree with checking the ph in the run off
right now the plants are small and like tl,jr mentioned, those are the first leaves to go as the plan grows
but if there is an imbalance we want to identify it
i forget which fox farm soil you are running but i know the ocean forest i use is about 6.8
i run my feedings at about 7 as i think the soil drifts lower with time
i think because of your light feedings build up is less an issue once you get to larger containers but there should be enough nutrients in the fresh bag mix to sustain your plants at this stage so i would go light on any additives

have you ever tested the ph of your water?
how about after a day of letting it sit in the air?
how about after running it through a charcoal filter?
/just throwing some ideas around

once you get a good mother establish, maybe you could run your own test and see where on teh plant produces the best clones
im kind of on the fence but like the clones taken from larger stems
i just take the lower growth as root it because i would ahve thrown it away so not much to loose
i kind of feel that plant health and overall cloning conditions prob play the largest role in rooting success
Good morning pop_rocks.
I did a runoff check last night and I'll make a separate post with the results and my thoughts.
I'm not going to get all worried about a couple spots on a couple leaves but like you said if something is out of whack I need to get it corrected as soon as possible so these girls stay happy.
I'm using happy frog soil. It has less nutrients than ocean forest but more beneficial microbes.
I'm going to raise the pH of the water I give and check runoff regularly and see how that helps.
I use water from a natural spring and the pH changes from time to time but it's usually around a pH of 8. I'm not sure if letting it air out for a day or two would affect it but I guess I can try that. By charcoal filter do you mean a brita drinking water type filter? I think I have one of those that we don't use for drinking water any more. I much prefer drinking the spring water to any filtered water I've had.
I will try cuttings from different parts of the plant when the time comes. Like you said overall plant health has to be more important than which branches you use.

Fiddynut

Runoff pH test

Runoff pH test

When I checked on the plants last night I found the #1&2 were pretty dry and the pots were light when I picked them up. I wanted to check runoff pH anyway so the timing was good. #3 was still moist and heavier so now I'll have to water the 1&2 separately form the #3. Now I'll have 2 watering schedules to keep track of.

I mixed 2 cups spring water with 2 cups distilled and checked pH was 7.5 with the pen that was just calibrated. One drop of pH down took the 4 cups water down to a pH of 7.0. Next I gave the plant 1/2 cup water to get the soil damp and waited a few min to let the water distribute. I then put 1 cup of the water into the soil and collected the first ounce of runoff to test. It tested at pH 6.6.

After doing some reading on runoff testing I have the understanding that a 0.5-1.0 drop in pH is fairly normal and acceptable. I'm not sure how acidic my soil would have to be to drop the pH 0.4 but I know it is below 6.5 and may be below 6.2. I'm hearing more and more that 6.2 is the lowest it should be so if I'm down there I need to get it up a bit. I think raising the pH of the water I give should be good enough to get it up a few points.

The plan is to water with pH 7 water the next couple waterings and check runoff to see if it's improving. If not I can add lime to the soil to help buffer and maintain neutral pH.

I'm not sure why I'm having issues that I didn't have last time but it gives me an opportunity to learn more about identifying and correcting problems. I think this is a minor issue and shouldn't have a long term effect on these girls as long as it gets corrected.

I have a feeling that the roots are still a little young on these girls and are having a hard time keeping up with the above ground growth. This may be contributing to this rust spot issue. It makes sense to me that the young roots are more susceptible to lockout or whatever because they aren't as developed and are just barley able to supply the plant with what it needs. What you add borderline pH to that they won't be able to keep up with growth. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not but I'm starting to ramble a bit.

I'll be keeping a close eye on them and checking runoff the next couple of waterings. I'm also going to adjust pH on my little #3 plant to keep it in check before it shows problems.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
checking ph is not as important when growing in soil as it is in hydro
when growing strictly in water the plant has only one source of food
any imbalances are amplified and can take hold very quickly
this goes for ph as well as ppm/ec

ive seen plenty of plants grown out using nothing but dirt and water
they came out good but you want to grown the best your genetics have to offer
plus, its a good learning experience and something you should at least understand
good on tl,jr for catching the spots!
yes, i was thinking of a britta type filter
it will filter out most solids and im wondering what effect that will have on your ph

ill be honest tho and admit that as long as my girls look happy i dont really fuss with them too much
its more about being able to diagnose problems and take the proper course of action when they arrise
otherwise, if it aint broke i dont mess with it

just got some new tires for my bike and am super excited to ride
im sticking around tonight to watch the baseball but tomorrow it will jsut be me and mrs chicky on the trail, so maybe i will be able to bring the camera and take a few pics to share

Fiddynut

checking ph is not as important when growing in soil as it is in hydro
when growing strictly in water the plant has only one source of food
any imbalances are amplified and can take hold very quickly
this goes for ph as well as ppm/ec

ive seen plenty of plants grown out using nothing but dirt and water
they came out good but you want to grown the best your genetics have to offer
plus, its a good learning experience and something you should at least understand
good on tl,jr for catching the spots!
yes, i was thinking of a britta type filter
it will filter out most solids and im wondering what effect that will have on your ph

ill be honest tho and admit that as long as my girls look happy i dont really fuss with them too much
its more about being able to diagnose problems and take the proper course of action when they arrise
otherwise, if it aint broke i dont mess with it

just got some new tires for my bike and am super excited to ride
im sticking around tonight to watch the baseball but tomorrow it will jsut be me and mrs chicky on the trail, so maybe i will be able to bring the camera and take a few pics to share
Good afternoon pop_rocks.
I see what your saying about how touchy hydro can be. Those are all reasons that I doubt I'll ever try doing hydro. I don't need the higher yield and quicker grow times. I also don't want to invest in all the extra equipment either. I would be more tempted to try coco or straight perlite or those clay balls where you feed and water a couple times a day. But for now just learning to grow in soil is going to keep me busy.

I wish it was just as easy as just add water but I'm finding out that it is a little more complicated than that. I want to learn how to make the best of them but get overwhelmed with all the different deficiencies and lockouts and what not. Sometimes a little disappointment leads to discouragement for me and I just need to man up and try stuff and learn. Even just a few little spots can have me thinking that I suck and that my plants will never look as good as the plants I see in the grow journals of the people that have been doing it for a while. Maybe I'm just a little depressed today because it's so cold and rainy outside and I know it's going to be a few months before the nice weather comes back.

I have a brita filter but not sure about using it. I thought that good spring water with minerals in it is the best thing for plants. I keep reading that people who use RO and DI water have to add minerals like cal/mag back into the water. It seems silly to filter that good stuff out only to add it back in. Unless too many minerals are not good but I know other people use this water from the same spring for growing with great results. It occurred to me that I was using bottled water for the first month of my last grow so the young plants never got this spring water. I think I started using the spring water right after transplanting to the big pots last time when they started drinking 3 gallons every 3 days. I think I'll mix the spring water with distilled 50/50 for a little while until my roots get more developed.
I like your philosophy that as long as they look good don't worry too much. I think these baby's will be fine and I can get back to enjoying them soon. Like you said being able to spot problems and know what to do about it are great tools to have. Maybe after a bunch of grows I'll have those skills.

New tires make such a difference for the feel and traction of a bike. When the knobs are new they have a nice square edge that really bites in and gets traction. Once they get some use the leading edge of the knob gets rounded off and traction declines quickly.
I'll be watching baseball tonight as well. I use to watch a lot of baseball but gave up cable a couple years ago and don't see many games anymore. I'm rooting for Cleveland since the cubs are a rival of my team. We are so close to Chicago that when the cubs come to Milwaukee we get overrun with cubs fans. I won't even go to a brewer game when the cubs are in town because their fans are so obnoxious.
Let's see some picks of the bikes and terrain you are riding when you get a chance.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
this is why a lot of people use RO water when running hydro
you can have excelent water but to be totally dialed in you need to be as close to "pure" as you can get
depending on how precise you want ot make things, thats just how it is
/i agree, taking out natural minerals only to add them back in seems kind of wacky

at this point friend, i think its good to practice, jsut to learn about ph and how to manage it
also you say your water fluctuates so it may be in that sweet spot part of the year and need attention at other times

how are the kids looking today?
is the new growth nice and healthy?

i have a couple quick pics i took but dident think how fast it would get dark
/i actually look better in the dark but that is another story

here is a quick shot of the bikes at "the falls"
i will try and grab some better shots next time we ride
picture.php

View image in gallery

Last edited: