What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

GastroGrower

Yes! Lots of lessons learned. And for a second grow, your results are much better than mine were :)

I think with such a high variety of GSC hybrids, you're going to have an increased chance of getting one prone to seeding out or hermaphroditism. Seems like a lot of what I've seen from other people running GSC.

Rodehazrd

I had a bit of that with AK I ran but they showed up about two weeks into 12 12. Of course they were the biggest ones.
Do you think yours were later ?
By the way they were regs

Last edited:

Fiddynut

that sounds like some nice smoke
if you have some of the other stuff you grew try mixing the two together!
one will have the clear heads and the other will provide the back end kick

i esp like the sounds f how the gsc smokes
who dosent like a floral/ fruity bud every now and then

thats the weird thing about herrmies
i very rarely see them on any plants indoors or out
/and hope im not jinxing myself to a lifetime of nanners
the one time i did it was because i had left the tent open for several days so the plants were getting a really erratic light schedule
i would like to add i pretty much use only reg seed

i think it was something in the genetics you got but like your idea of checking for any stray light
we can always improve on our grow techniques and this is somehting so easy that unless you need to see that little light, why not cover them all

so what are you planning on goign with next,fiddy?
Good morning pop_rocks.
The smoke is surprisingly good for how early they were harvested. The larry2 seems to be a bit more mature than the GSC and is a more balanced buzz. The Girl Scout is more sativa like and probably would have gone longer in flower than the Larry's. Great idea to make a "salad" with some of my old harvest and get more body buzz.
I've been reading a lot of threads about hermies and there are many different opinions and possible causes. One thing that has come up a couple times has been that indoor plants get so much light up top and so little at the bottom. Some say that is very stressful for the plant and is a reason some plants will herm indoor but not outdoor where the sun gets better penetration. This has me thinking about how thick my canopy was and has me considering doing at least some light defoliation in the future.
Not sure which beans to pop next but be flipping a coin or something and getting them in some soil this weekend. I'll also be starting a new thread which will be a perpetual grow thread and should be up by the end of the weekend. I'll put a link up in this thread as soon as it's up.
Are you getting any use out of your meat grinder? I'm doing a pork butt for the NFC game on Sunday. You been doing any cooking or riding lately? Have a great weekend and enjoy some football and food and drink...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Yes! Lots of lessons learned. And for a second grow, your results are much better than mine were :)

I think with such a high variety of GSC hybrids, you're going to have an increased chance of getting one prone to seeding out or hermaphroditism. Seems like a lot of what I've seen from other people running GSC.
Good morning GG.
Much learned and much more to learn indeed. In the end it's hard not to look at it as a step in the right direction. My first grow yielded more but I didn't learn as much and to be honest 2 of the 3 plants on the first grow didn't have a great flavor. At least all these plants stayed healthier and have a nice dankness to them.
Like you said I've noticed a lot of mixed results with Girl Scout genetics with a lot of the threads I've been reading through. Only one of the Bodhi seeds packs I just got has any GSC in it and I'll have to see if I have any better luck with that. Looking forward to getting some seeds in the soil this weekend and starting a new journey.thanks for stoping by and your positivity...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

I had a bit of that with AK I ran but they showed up about two weeks into 12 12. Of course they were the biggest ones.
Do you think yours were later ?
By the way they were regs
Good morning Rodehazrd.
I'm thinking a couple weeks into flower is about right for when the pollination would have occurred given the maturity of the seeds. I remember reading a thread of a test grow of some feminized seeds whare the breeder said that weeks 2-4 of flower is where they usually herm and pollinate. I'm thinking mine were on the earlier side of that probably weeks 2 or 3. This makes sense since the balls would be obscured by the calyx and pistils making it hard to spot. I have to pay better attention from now on and deal with it.
Have a great weekend...Fiddy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
i think each case is unique and some plants are more prone to hermie than others
i know its a survival mechanism for the plant but any little thing we can do to discourage them is worth it

how many weeks did they go anyway?
im all about the variety and totally encourage you to salad it up!
i always have a few different strains on my tray at any given time
i like the different flavors and i think its brings a more balanced high

i have been doing a lot of things with fresh dough lately
we have a large ball of pizza dough rising right now and i am going to make some egg noodles later this afternoon
after having so much fun wiht the pizza dough mrs chicky made last weekend i thoguht wouldent it be cool to make some fresh homemade noodles too?
i went to amazon and found this pasta dough roller for like $20
i figured what the heck and am going to make my first batch today

im still working on my grind and have learned a few things like keeping things colder and working in smaller batches
we are planning on making some sliders too, and with ny strip on sale i figure thats what im goign to use

pork butt sounds awsome! do you add vinigar to your after its done?
i like the apple cider kind
man, lay some of that on bun with some pickles and im in heaven!

good luck to your packers and i cant wait to see this games this weekend

hope you have a great weekend too buddy!

Fiddynut

i think each case is unique and some plants are more prone to hermie than others
i know its a survival mechanism for the plant but any little thing we can do to discourage them is worth it

how many weeks did they go anyway?
im all about the variety and totally encourage you to salad it up!
i always have a few different strains on my tray at any given time
i like the different flavors and i think its brings a more balanced high

i have been doing a lot of things with fresh dough lately
we have a large ball of pizza dough rising right now and i am going to make some egg noodles later this afternoon
after having so much fun wiht the pizza dough mrs chicky made last weekend i thoguht wouldent it be cool to make some fresh homemade noodles too?
i went to amazon and found this pasta dough roller for like $20
i figured what the heck and am going to make my first batch today

im still working on my grind and have learned a few things like keeping things colder and working in smaller batches
we are planning on making some sliders too, and with ny strip on sale i figure thats what im goign to use

pork butt sounds awsome! do you add vinigar to your after its done?
i like the apple cider kind
man, lay some of that on bun with some pickles and im in heaven!

good luck to your packers and i cant wait to see this games this weekend

hope you have a great weekend too buddy!
Good afternoon pop_rocks.
They went about 7 weeks I think. Long enough to frost up a bit but would have done a lot of swelling if they had finished and not been seeded. I'm with you on the variety. I need to get a rotation of keepers going and keep adding variety. Once I find my favorite skunky/chemy pheno's then I'll add some nice contrasting strains like blueberry and other sweet ones.
Good work on the pizza dough. It's been too long since I've made any of that. I need to get to some bread making soon. Maybe a fresh loaf for tomorrow with the pulled pork. I have a pasta attachment for my kitchen aid mixer and have only used it once. I think my dough was too dry and it didn't want to separate into noodles much. I improvised and made the sheets into lasagna noodles and it was good. Got to get back to experimenting with pasta as well. Good luck on the pasta making.
Smaller batches is a great idea for keeping things cold while grinding meat. Ny strip sliders sounds absolutely delicious. Make sure to get some cuts with plenty of fat cap on them to keep them juicy.
When I'm doing a competition style pork butt I inject it with apple cider and apple cider vinigar. It's a bit more work but it's really juicy and the acid is a great addition for the rich smoky meat. Pickles for sure if making sandwiches and my other favorite is to serve it on tortillas with diced onion.
I've been critical of how the packers have played this year but they have been hot at the right time. The cowboys have always been a good rival and there have been many great games over the years. Not making any bets but I hope it's a good game to watch.
Enjoy the pizza, pasta and sliders and of course the games....Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Just a quick harvest update and an early smoke report. The larry1 was seeded to the top and there was not much harvested. I got about 1/2 a quart jar of partly seeded buds ant the rest went into the hash bin. It was however very well covered in trichomes and should make good hash of butter. The bit that is smokeable is nice and skunky. The buzz is a nice energetic head high but if you keep smoking there is a bit of body buzz to be had. Would have to smoke a lot for couch lock.

Larry2 is similar to larry1 but the buds were more compact. The skunk really comes through and it's got a lot of nice orange hairs. This turned out to be my best yielder. I haven't weighed any of it yet but I got 2 nice full quart jars. This plant would have been a more indica leaning high had it finished.

The Girl Scout was something different for me both in the way it grew and the way the finished flower tastes and the buzz. It grew tall and much more sativa like in structure. It was probably the farthest from finished when harvested. The buds are greener with fewer lightly covered hairs. The flavor is not like anything I've tasted before. It kind of reminds me of cookie dough or something. Very interesting and a great contrast to the skunky Larry OG. The buzz is very up and energetic. Would be a great one to smoke before a bike ride or other physical activity. I can really taste the lavender flavor. Makes me want to grab some and have a puff right now. Oh well only 2 more hours of work and then it's home to puff some.

After only a week of cure time it's getting pretty dry. I had to leave the jars open overnight once this week and it got slightly crispy. I'll do another report in a couple weeks when it's had a more proper cure. Have a great weekend everyone...Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

Hey that pork sounds good. I was raised on vinegar sauce bbq and red slaw. Most of the Midwest seems to slather on The brown sugar goo. And if I ask for it without sauce it bruises their ego.
I think you have to put sugar on meat...
should've got better meat.
Glad you got something out of the Larry and gsc
I have some hso diesel about two weeks in flower I'm watching closer now that the alarm is sounded. and some cc headband about to go in (6 new seeds) I was looking for a different phenotypes but they look like carbon copies so far. 100% germination and totally homogenous. What's the odds on That

Fiddynut

Hey that pork sounds good. I was raised on vinegar sauce bbq and red slaw. Most of the Midwest seems to slather on The brown sugar goo. And if I ask for it without sauce it bruises their ego.
I think you have to put sugar on meat...
should've got better meat.
Glad you got something out of the Larry and gsc
I have some hso diesel about two weeks in flower I'm watching closer now that the alarm is sounded. and some cc headband about to go in (6 new seeds) I was looking for a different phenotypes but they look like carbon copies so far. 100% germination and totally homogenous. What's the odds on That
Good morning Rodehazrd.
The pork turned out great. I'm with you on the sauce thing. A nice thin vinegar based spicy sauce is great for pulled pork. I like a sticky glaze on my ribs but I rarely put anything sweet on my butts. Around here if you go to a bbq place they will automatically put that crap all over the meat and it just overpowers the flavors. Like you said get good meat and cook it well and there is no need for all that sauce. And a nice sour red slaw is like icing on the cake.
In addition to the flower from the Larry's I used the trim and seeded buds to make some nice bubble hash this weekend. It was almost dry this morning and is really nice and sticky. I'll be sampling it after work today for sure.
I hope that diesel does you right and grows out sticky and stinky. That's interesting that all 6 of the headband are same. You'd think there would be at least a runt or one that would be a quicker more aggressive grower. Maybe they will all be killer. I hope so.
Sounds like things are good and your plants are happy...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Greetings friends. I'll make a couple more posts in this thread for a "hash report" on the hash I made this weekend and probably one more smoke report once I get some more cure time on the buds.

Today I started a new thread in the indoor grow section. It will be a perpetual grow and not focus on one grow or strain. I welcome all of you to come over to the new thread and continue the discussions we have been having. We can talk plants, food, bikes, music or anything else we may have in common.
Here is the link to the new thread called Fiddynut's indoor jungle: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7781958#post7781958

Looking forward to seeing you there...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Hash report

Hash report

Since I had a plant full of seeds and some trim and lower seeded buds from my other Larry OG I decided to make lemonade from lemons. I have a set of bubble hash bags that I've used before a coupe times with flower. The first time I tried to use them I didn't get much of anything. I now know that I didn't get the buds cold enough or mix it well enugh. I ended up making butter out of the soggy buds and it worked out ok. The next couple times I tried I had ground the flower up really well. I then mixed the crap out of it and got a huge pile of powdery material. It was very weak and low qualaty. I had way too much plant material in the finished product due to the grinding and over mixing. It wasn't very tasty or strong. I wanted different results this time so I did some searching and reading on icmag.

Since I was using trim for the first time I figured I'd start over and learn a new method. I read that too much grinding and mixing causes low qualaty hash. I took about a quart jar and 1/2 worth of trimmings and larf and put it in a clean bucket with a few inches of ice and then I covered it with a few more inches of ice. I let it freeze up for about 1/2 hour until I could tell it was really cold. Then I added just enugh water so that it was an icy slurry. I gave it a few more minuets to get nice and cold. Then I took a plastic paint mixer and put it into my drill and mixed gently for about 5 minuets. In another bucket I put 3 bags, a 25micron, a 73micron and the 220 micron on top. I poured the slurry into the bucket with the bags and gave another light mix. Then I pulled the top bag out with the trim and ice in it and collected what was on the 73 and 25 micron screens. I did 4 passes back and fourth and took what I'd collected and put it on a Pyrex pie plate. It dried within 24 hours and I choped it up once to make sure there were no pockets of water in it.
The end product was far different than I'd gotten in the past. It was really sticky and came together in a ball nicely. I think this new method did a great job. This was like the hash I'd seen and bought in the past. It tastes great and packs a nice punch. I haven't sampled much but I did put some on a bowl and it melted in nice and made a small bowl burn for a long time. I got super high and forgot several times that I was in the middle of smoking a bowl. I'm super happy with how this batch turned out and will be making a lot more bubble hash in the future. Here are a couple pics of the finished product.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
looks nice man
the true test is in the pipe and it sounds like dynamite!
btw, is that a pipe or a bubbler you are using (the kind with water?)

it sounds like you figured out that over mixing is a no no making hash
too many bits of plant matter get ground up and sieve through the bags
if this happens you can always run the stuff through additional screens and try and filter out the green bits but its usually a lot of work
/i would use it for baking instead of smoking

thats why i use a hand mixer, its a lot more gentile and harder to over mix
also be aware of how much you are putting in at once
im still working out the ratios myself but you want there to be plenty of water
/like cooking pasta, the weed needs room to swim in the container

glad to hear your lemons dident go to waste and it sounds like you got soem good smoke in the end
/loves smoking hash
/takes explosive hit off hash pipe and stares off into distance

Fiddynut

looks nice man
the true test is in the pipe and it sounds like dynamite!
btw, is that a pipe or a bubbler you are using (the kind with water?)

it sounds like you figured out that over mixing is a no no making hash
too many bits of plant matter get ground up and sieve through the bags
if this happens you can always run the stuff through additional screens and try and filter out the green bits but its usually a lot of work
/i would use it for baking instead of smoking

thats why i use a hand mixer, its a lot more gentile and harder to over mix
also be aware of how much you are putting in at once
im still working out the ratios myself but you want there to be plenty of water
/like cooking pasta, the weed needs room to swim in the container

glad to hear your lemons dident go to waste and it sounds like you got soem good smoke in the end
/loves smoking hash
/takes explosive hit off hash pipe and stares off into distance
Good afternoon pop_rocks.
I'm super happy with how it turned out and can't wait to make more. That pipe isn't a bubbler but it is my oldest piece. It's 20+ years old and has survived when so many more have broken. I've had a couple bubblers but my laziness has always been a problem and they get super dirty and hard to clean. I have a slightly easer time keeping my bongs clean but still use them more rarely since they do require maintenance. That pipe really has stood the test of time I've dropped it so many times even on concrete and it never brakes. My buddy brought it back from eugene Oregon with him when he was out there gathering mushrooms in the mid 1990's. He says it was blown by one of Bob Snodgrass's apprentices. Very happy to have this piece and use it every day for so long.

The mixing seems very important and I finally resisted the temptation to over mix. Also minimal handling before putting it in the ice helped I believe. My bro found this plastic mixer that seems to work nicely and it dosent have any sharp edges to tare up the material. I like your hand mixer you told me about but haven't been able to find one. Your pasta analogy is spot on.
Speaking of pasta did you get any made? And the ny strip sliders? Still thinking about those sliders and getting hungry. I guess it's time to get some lunch.

Fiddynut

Nice outcome! Making bubble hash does take a couple tries to get it down.
Good afternoon GG.
Looks like fourth time is when I figured it out. Super happy with how it worked this time. The only thing I didn't do was weigh the trim to see what the ratio of material in to how much I get out. Not too concerned with yield since it's just kind of a bonus anyway but it would be interesting to know. Looking forward to the next batch allready.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
yes!
i am now so sold on fresh pasta!

it was easy to make the dough, you would not believe how stoked i was seeing those fetuchini strands fall from the pasta maker
and it cooked so fast!
i let them boil for about 5 min but am going to cut that back to about three in the water adn then toss in the pan w/ sauce

i am still working on the grind and will be making the slides for the super bowl along with soem fresh bread to dip in fondue

that pipe sounds epic!
i have a sour bong that is about that old!
the classic pieces are like members of the family

Fiddynut

yes!
i am now so sold on fresh pasta!

it was easy to make the dough, you would not believe how stoked i was seeing those fetuchini strands fall from the pasta maker
and it cooked so fast!
i let them boil for about 5 min but am going to cut that back to about three in the water adn then toss in the pan w/ sauce

i am still working on the grind and will be making the slides for the super bowl along with soem fresh bread to dip in fondue

that pipe sounds epic!
i have a sour bong that is about that old!
the classic pieces are like members of the family
Good evening pop_rocks.
That's great news about the pasta. You have inspired me to work on it. I'd love to have good pasta dialed in. It doesn't take a lot of time and is so good. A nice plate of pasta with just salt pepper fresh garlic and olive oil is wonderfully simple but soooo gooooood. I think your right about the shorter cook time maybe a couple minutes. It's been a while but sometimes I buy fresh pasta at one of the Italian markets and I remember it cooking really fast. Tossing the pasta and sauce is a great method it takes on some great flavor as it finishes cooking slightly in the pan and doesn't stick together. Sounds like you did a great job. I can't wait for a report on how those sliders turn out. I am a burger junkie and start drooling at the thought of them. Bread and (cheese?) fondue sound great. I hope we are watching the packers in a couple weeks.

I know what you mean about old pieces being like members of the family. That thing has been all over the country with me. Countless Bowles have been smoked through it. It feels so good in the hand it's like it was made for me. I've managed to hang on to one pretty old bong that a buddy gave me before moving back to great Britton in about 2001. That is the only water pipe that made it back to the Midwest with me from Oakland. Many others have been knocked over and broken but this one just doesn't break.

Rodehazrd

Hey guys
That hash method sounds cool.
Good move to prevent any waste.
I'm not a very good sports fan but I'm pulling for the packers this year.
I have let a jar mold over the holidays I didn't burp enough. It's got white specks all in it. Is there lemonade here or trash bin?
I was looking forward to that mango flavor.
I mix it to sweeten some other smoke.
I still have amnesia for that sweet but miss the tangie.
Another stupid move passed around among us.
Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

Hey guys
That hash method sounds cool.
Good move to prevent any waste.
I'm not a very good sports fan but I'm pulling for the packers this year.
I have let a jar mold over the holidays I didn't burp enough. It's got white specks all in it. Is there lemonade here or trash bin?
I was looking forward to that mango flavor.
I mix it to sweeten some other smoke.
I still have amnesia for that sweet but miss the tangie.
Another stupid move passed around among us.
Rodehazrd
Good morning Rodehazrd.
The bubble hash method is great when done right and the supplies are easy to find. Once you get a set of bags you just need ice and water. You can order bags from any number of places or get them at head shops. I found plenty of helpful threads here on icmag for method but basically the less you chop it the better. Then let it get real cold and mix for about 5 minuets. Then the trichomes collect on the screens and scoop them out with a spoon and dry them. As far as mold there seem to be a lot of opinions out there. I did some reading about what to make with moldy buds and some people say bubble hash is ok to make with them and others say no. Some say that the mold spores are small enough to make it through the screens and will stay in the water when you extract the hash. Others make bubble and then add ISO alcohol and then strain through coffee filter then evaporate the alcohol and are left with a hashy oil that you can take dabs with. Any time I've used ISO to extract I can always taste the alcohol in the finished product. I've also read that some people are more sensitive to mold than others. I'm sure I've smoked moldy buds before and never had any bad reaction but others get really sick. It's a tough call but I'd be tempted to run it and see what turns out. I've agonized about how dry to let my buds get every harvest. I think I let them get a little dry this time. I left the jars open overnight twice and they are pretty crispy. Curing isn't the easiest part of the process and since things happen so quickly I'd say it's one of the tougher parts. Don't get down on yourself. I sure we've all made mistakes curing and must live and learn.