What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

Rodehazrd

Fiddy
Did the humidity not rise when they stretched out before and started using more water? Of course I tend to spill reaching g for the back around a big bush. So each watering some goes on The concrete

Rodehazrd

Good morning Rodehazrd.
I've seen those probes at the garden store but didn't know how reliable they are. It sounds like they must work and it might be a good idea for me to get one.

When you say that pH is a moving target and you don't try to correct are you talking about soil pH? Do you still pH your water and nutes or nothing at all? I've herd that with organic grows there is no need to pH anything. I'd like to here more about your method.
Yeah probe helps tell water in the bottom
I wait till it's barely moist with probe in 4 inches.

I use the basic 653 rock powder mix the hibrix folks like and add bone char. Look up RBTI Reams Biological Theory of Ionization
Budrunner copied a lot of info and posted on this site.
From what I gather the soft rock phosphate does more for ph buffering than the calcitic lime

Fiddynut

Fiddy
Did the humidity not rise when they stretched out before and started using more water? Of course I tend to spill reaching g for the back around a big bush. So each watering some goes on The concrete
Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
I think the humidity did go up in my veg tent when I transplanted to bigger pots. It makes sense that more moist soil will evaporate more water into the environment. Bigger plants transpire more moisture too. I always pull my plants out and water them on plates outside the tent so there isn't any spilled or runoff water in the tent. But I could put a bowl of water in there to help rase RH.

The real test will be when the cold dry winter air moves in. My first grow was during the summer and I was having a hard time keeping humidity below 55% or so. It will be a different story this winter. It's hot and humid during the summer here but cold and very dry during the winter. I'm fighting different battles at different time of the year here. I never paid attention to humidity before I started growing so I don't know what to expect this winter. I wasn't really worried about it until I started reading threads about VPD on icmag. I think it will be fine but I want to be aware of it so that I can keep my girls happy.

Fiddynut

Yeah probe helps tell water in the bottom
I wait till it's barely moist with probe in 4 inches.

I use the basic 653 rock powder mix the hibrix folks like and add bone char. Look up RBTI Reams Biological Theory of Ionization
Budrunner copied a lot of info and posted on this site.
From what I gather the soft rock phosphate does more for ph buffering than the calcitic lime
Good evening Rodehazrd.

I just read through some of the "high brix soil grow" thread by budrunners. Very interesting stuff. I've come across some threads about organic gardening and really like the concepts. It just makes sense to me that allowing Mother Nature to do her job and feeding the soil so it in turn feeds your plants is the right way to go.

I have more to read but so far I'm very impressed at how budrunners explains things so that even a guy with no gardening or growing experience like me can understand it. I have a feeling I'll be going back to that thread again and again as I learn how to grow more naturally. I've herd the term brix before but didn't know exactly what it meant until reading that post.

Thanks a lot for sharing with me and pointing me to that post. It gives me hope that someday I can try to do an organic grow sometime.

Rodehazrd

Im starting a batch of mix this weekend. the only change I make to his mix is bone char I add. His feeding routine is way too hot for most of my strains. Em Dog eagle clawed and its supposed to want high ec.I buy the hygrozyme now in big bottles and use it a lot. I do micros and humic acid watering. but only fed the second week with tiger and the forth week with the same. The earth juice was ok but one of my bottles came with a layer of gel on the bottom that did not dilute.plus I was burning everything so I went back to foxfarm at one quarter strength. the spray schedule I use the cation mostly the anionic seems counter to me at flowering stage. I use the pump up type sprayer and it works best for me.. I found calcium nitrate on the Amazon. When I need more i will go direct to aglab.com. they are the motherlode of hibrix.

Fiddynut

Im starting a batch of mix this weekend. the only change I make to his mix is bone char I add. His feeding routine is way too hot for most of my strains. Em Dog eagle clawed and its supposed to want high ec.I buy the hygrozyme now in big bottles and use it a lot. I do micros and humic acid watering. but only fed the second week with tiger and the forth week with the same. The earth juice was ok but one of my bottles came with a layer of gel on the bottom that did not dilute.plus I was burning everything so I went back to foxfarm at one quarter strength. the spray schedule I use the cation mostly the anionic seems counter to me at flowering stage. I use the pump up type sprayer and it works best for me.. I found calcium nitrate on the Amazon. When I need more i will go direct to aglab.com. they are the motherlode of hibrix.
Thanks for the wisdom and sharing Rodehazrd.
I'm bookmarking this to come back to when I'm ready to try organic. Making my own soil is still kind of intimidating to me but it sounds fun and rewarding. It's going to be a few months until it's going to be warm enough to cook soil up here so that gives me some time to read more and gather ingredients.

Rodehazrd

Thanks for the wisdom and sharing Rodehazrd.
I'm bookmarking this to come back to when I'm ready to try organic. Making my own soil is still kind of intimidating to me but it sounds fun and rewarding. It's going to be a few months until it's going to be warm enough to cook soil up here so that gives me some time to read more and gather ingredients.

Good morning Fiddynut,
cooking may be the wrong term I think proofing would be more accurate. but the line is if you only add the rock powders you will have good results. Calcitic Lime was hard for me to find. I had to take 40 pounds of gypsum and soft rock phosphate I only find in small bags at walmart.

Fiddynut

Good morning Fiddynut,
cooking may be the wrong term I think proofing would be more accurate. but the line is if you only add the rock powders you will have good results. Calcitic Lime was hard for me to find. I had to take 40 pounds of gypsum and soft rock phosphate I only find in small bags at walmart.
Good morning Rodehazrd.
I remember the line about the rock powders and just that making a big difference. I only got part way through the thread but I'll read through it a couple times this weekend. I remember him saying how foliar feeding was very important and that is something I've yet to do. Maybe I could proof the soil indoors in bins or something. Sounds like I've got to do a little researching to find and get the ingredients and might have to get something shipped. Defiantly going to spend some time looking into it after work today and tomorrow.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

I'm a day late but doing an update anyway. The girls were thirsty yesterday morning and I wanted to get some updated pics of them. I also put the cuttings I took into foam cups with vermiculite and got a couple pics of them too. The cuts are looking a little droopy but not dead yet or anything.

I gave the girls plane old water and have had good results with one part spring water to two parts bottled RO water. The spring water I use has kind of a high pH and the store bought RO water always seems a little low. I'd elite to start using more of the spring water but I had some issues with lockout earlier in the grow and the water may have been part of the issue. I've herd that water with a lot of minerals and bicarbonate can cause lockouts of other minerals and nutes. It's also possible that it was more of a pH lockout and I was using too much acidic product to lower pH and my roots didn't like it.

Plant #1 looking great. Nice and bushy. Happy and green.

Plant #2 looking great and just a touch behind #1.

Plant #3 which is the Girl Scout cookie and sprouted a week behind the other 2.

The cuttings looking a little sad and droopy but I'm not giving up on them.

The girls are going to get transplanted soon and then into the flower tent with them. I'm hoping they are going to like the 600w light. I'm planing on using the MH bulb for the first couple weeks or so and switch to the HPS when I start seeing buds. Here is a shot of them in their soon to be former homes.

So far I'm really happy with how things are going. They had one bad week out of this grow and they have been happy since the transplant. Other than that it's been a fun grow and I've learned probably more this time than my first try.

Rodehazrd

Those cuts don't look bad. I cut the tips off the larger leaves for less droop. Also I blow into the dome a lot. You got a heat pad ?

Fiddynut

Those cuts don't look bad. I cut the tips off the larger leaves for less droop. Also I blow into the dome a lot. You got a heat pad ?
Good morning Rodehazrd.
The cuts seem to be chilling out. They look pretty much the same as from day one. I've seen and read about cutting the leaves but didn't know if I should or not. I'm just going to be patient with them and see what happens. I don't have a heat pad right now but may pick one up soon. Temps right now are 74-75 deg lights on and 69-70 deg lights off on 18/6. I'm misting them 1-2 times a day, vents closed. There is a box fan moving the air around pretty well in there. I guess watching clones root is kind of like watching paint dry. The moms are looking great and growing like crazy.

I'm going to flip the Larry OG's to 12/12 soon so we can get a feel for how much they stretch and how long it takes them to finish. Not sure how much will translate from my style and environment to yours but hopefully it will give you an idea of what to expect when you run yours.

I read through the budrunners high brix thread and a couple others a couple times this weekend and I'm starting to get an understanding of some of the key parts. I'm learning way more about soil than I thought I ever would. From what I gather even a new grower like me can have success with that method. It's something I'm going to have a go at for sure. Thanks again for sharing.

Fiddynut

Update

Update

Good morning icmag friends.
I'm happy to say that my plans to transplant the girls went perfectly and as long as they still look great tomorrow I'll be putting them into the flower tent and starting the clock on harvest. I was a little worried about transplanting them out of the 10" pots they were in since I haven't transplanted out of anything bigger than 6" pots before. It turned out to be a snap although a little bit messier than with the smaller pots. The girls are getting big. They have outgrown the fluorescent light as well. Not only are they too wide for the 4 bulb light but they are tall enough that not much light is getting to the lower part of the plants. The 600w is going to give them all the light they can handle and penetration should be much better.

The plants were already getting root bound after only 2 weeks in their pots. Much of the root mass was finding the gap between the soil and the bottom of the pots. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't reported that they would start getting droopy between waterings again. It's possible I've been guilty of slight under watering because I'm trying so hard not to over water. These new pots should give them some more room to stretch out and I'm expecting them to grow aggressively.
Here is a pic of the roots.

As long as I don't see any transplant shock I'm going to move them tomorrow night into flower tent and start a 12/12 schedule. If they look stressed I'll wait until they are happy. I'm thinking the sooner the better because I don't want them to get too tall. As you can see they are getting too big for the veg tent and light.

The plant I named #1 is turning out to be the most aggressive grower so far. It's the bushiest and has the closest node spacing of the 3. From the yellow lower leaves it also seems to be a heavier feeder.

Plant 2 is slightly taller than 1 but not as bushy and not as many nodes. It's a little stretchier and has been since seedling.

Plant 3 is looking good and has the biggest fan leaves of the three. It is a Girl Scout cookie and sprouted a week after the 2 Larry OG's. This one was much less bushy until recently when it started filling out.

So fingers crossed that they are happy and can transition to flower nicely. When I transplanted I put in my temporary support stakes. Last grow I forgot to do this and when it came time to put stakes in I had to go throughout the roots. I can't put the final stakes in yet because they are tall and I wouldn't be able to get my light close enough. I think I'm ready to get the flowering under way.

One thing I'm pondering is lighting for the cuttings. I won't have anything in the veg tent once the girls go into the other tent. It seems a waste to have a 4 foot t5 running 18 hours a day for just a small tray with 5 cuttings. I'm thinking about just putting a couple CFL bulbs in there for the cuttings and turning the t5 out. Anybody have any experience with this?

Tri_Cho_Me

Good morning icmag friends.
I'm happy to say that my plans to transplant the girls went perfectly and as long as they still look great tomorrow I'll be putting them into the flower tent and starting the clock on harvest. I was a little worried about transplanting them out of the 10" pots they were in since I haven't transplanted out of anything bigger than 6" pots before. It turned out to be a snap although a little bit messier than with the smaller pots. The girls are getting big. They have outgrown the fluorescent light as well. Not only are they too wide for the 4 bulb light but they are tall enough that not much light is getting to the lower part of the plants. The 600w is going to give them all the light they can handle and penetration should be much better.

The plants were already getting root bound after only 2 weeks in their pots. Much of the root mass was finding the gap between the soil and the bottom of the pots. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't reported that they would start getting droopy between waterings again. It's possible I've been guilty of slight under watering because I'm trying so hard not to over water. These new pots should give them some more room to stretch out and I'm expecting them to grow aggressively.
Here is a pic of the roots.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1675330&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

As long as I don't see any transplant shock I'm going to move them tomorrow night into flower tent and start a 12/12 schedule. If they look stressed I'll wait until they are happy. I'm thinking the sooner the better because I don't want them to get too tall. As you can see they are getting too big for the veg tent and light.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1675331&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

The plant I named #1 is turning out to be the most aggressive grower so far. It's the bushiest and has the closest node spacing of the 3. From the yellow lower leaves it also seems to be a heavier feeder.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1675332&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Plant 2 is slightly taller than 1 but not as bushy and not as many nodes. It's a little stretchier and has been since seedling.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1675333&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Plant 3 is looking good and has the biggest fan leaves of the three. It is a Girl Scout cookie and sprouted a week after the 2 Larry OG's. This one was much less bushy until recently when it started filling out.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1675334&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

So fingers crossed that they are happy and can transition to flower nicely. When I transplanted I put in my temporary support stakes. Last grow I forgot to do this and when it came time to put stakes in I had to go throughout the roots. I can't put the final stakes in yet because they are tall and I wouldn't be able to get my light close enough. I think I'm ready to get the flowering under way.

One thing I'm pondering is lighting for the cuttings. I won't have anything in the veg tent once the girls go into the other tent. It seems a waste to have a 4 foot t5 running 18 hours a day for just a small tray with 5 cuttings. I'm thinking about just putting a couple CFL bulbs in there for the cuttings and turning the t5 out. Anybody have any experience with this?

It does seem like a waste, but also remember T5's are actually pretty energy efficient. It could be worse I suppose. With that being said, I'm sure the CFL route would be fine as well.

Things are looking great! Can't wait to see these girls in flower.

Tri_Cho_Me

Fiddynut

It does seem like a waste, but also remember T5's are actually pretty energy efficient. It could be worse I suppose. With that being said, I'm sure the CFL route would be fine as well.

Things are looking great! Can't wait to see these girls in flower.

Tri_Cho_Me
Good morning Tri_Cho_Me.
Not too worried about the power cuz electricity is cheap here but just pondering a bit. I've read that cuttings do better under lower intensity floro's and that t5 can be a bit much for them. That's why I don't have them closer to the light. I'm a bit lazy so I'll probably just leave them under the t5 unless I get motivated to make some changes. The t5 also provides some heat for them. By the middle and end of the light cycle it's about 5 deg warmer in the tent than lights out.

I'm looking forward to getting these lady's flowering as well. Other than being a little nervous about how tall they will get. These girls are so much bushier than on my first grow. I'm also looking forward to some new flavor of buds to smoke. I've been smoking the last batch for a couple months now and getting a little strain tolerance. Can't wait to see how these taste.

Fiddynut

Man those plants have grew fast ...looking forward to bud shots soon :tiphat:
Good afternoon tleaf.
Yep the lady's are growing like crazy. They have been nice and happy for the last couple weeks. Once they start getting 12 hours of 600w they will really go crazy. I'm looking forward to seeing buds as well. I hope things keep going smoothly and the girls stay happy. Thanks for stopping by.

Tri_Cho_Me

Good morning Tri_Cho_Me.
Not too worried about the power cuz electricity is cheap here but just pondering a bit. I've read that cuttings do better under lower intensity floro's and that t5 can be a bit much for them. That's why I don't have them closer to the light. I'm a bit lazy so I'll probably just leave them under the t5 unless I get motivated to make some changes. The t5 also provides some heat for them. By the middle and end of the light cycle it's about 5 deg warmer in the tent than lights out.

I'm looking forward to getting these lady's flowering as well. Other than being a little nervous about how tall they will get. These girls are so much bushier than on my first grow. I'm also looking forward to some new flavor of buds to smoke. I've been smoking the last batch for a couple months now and getting a little strain tolerance. Can't wait to see how these taste.

:laughing: Welcome to the lazy club!

Do you think it's strain tolerance, or THC tolerance? I always thought it was THC, but I could be wrong. I suppose if you're going from Indica to Sativa you'd notice differences.

Tri_Cho_Me

Fiddynut

:laughing: Welcome to the lazy club!

Do you think it's strain tolerance, or THC tolerance? I always thought it was THC, but I could be wrong. I suppose if you're going from Indica to Sativa you'd notice differences.

Tri_Cho_Me
Good question T_C_M.
I've never gotten thc levels tested but it seems like when I smoke the same strain for a long time and then switch to something new the new stuff always gets me higher. As far as general tolerance goes I've been puffing for 30 + years and it takes me more than a hit or two of anything I've smoked in a long time so I know that there's some tolerance there. It could just be in my head but it seems like there is something to switching strains and the effect being different. Maybe something like the thc/cdb ratio or the level of CBN or some interaction of the above. Interesting food for thought though. People say that the indica/sativa hi bred buzz can be a little boring compared to a true indica or sativa buzz. I doubt I've had a pure indica or sativa in a long time. I'd love to grow a sativa sometime but that's down the road a bit.

Fiddynut

Def strain tolerance ...once you try sumn new youll be sky hi :biggrin:
That's how I've always felt too. Not sure why but when I've been smoking the same strain for a while I always get higher when I get something different. I wonder how different pheno's affect it. Like if there is more of a strain tolerance or pheno tolerance. Either way it's more reason to try growing some variety.