What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

Fiddynut

mornin fuddy

those roots look great!

nice work there friend and hopefully they are taking to their new homes
you will want to up the volume of water the first few times just to make sure you saturate the entire soil mass and i would go wiht just plain water just to get everything nice and settled in

/you will prob see a burst of new growth once they get going and established in their new homes

hopefully we can start thinking about taking cuttings soon!

so how have the dunks worked at controlling your gnat problem?
/that sucks that you are having the problem again, this is soil you kept in your hot car for all those days?

keep it going man, the plants look good
Good morning bud.
I agree the roots are nice and thick, white and healthy looking. I watered them with my usual 3 stage method to get them completely saturated. I gave them 2 cups at a time slowly them repeat with each plant 3 times and got about 1/2 cup runoff for each pot. Just going to give them ph'd water for the next couple weeks. It will take a couple waterings to see how much water it takes to saturate this size pot.

I think I'm seeing new growth already. The tops of 1&2 are starting to stretch up and get their second nodes. If they explode into growth we may think about cuttings next week. It won't be long until it will be time to start thinking about moving them to flower tent soon after that. Last time I only let them get about 16" tall before switching to 12/12 and they still almost maxed out my tent hight. I can't let them veg too much or I'll have to tie them down or something. I think this time I'll take one set of cuttings and hope for the best.

I haven't seen any other gnats since catching the one last week. I treated the soil right away so I'm hoping not to see anymore flyers. The dunks kill the larva so they can't hatch or breed. I think I'll just use the dunks on my soil from now on before I even see evidence of them just as a preventative. I started the seeds in the happy frog that I cooked in my car a couple months ago. I'm not sure where they come from. If they were in the soil I'd think I would have seen them before now. My wife has some house plants and for all I know that's where they could be coming from. As long as the dunks do there job and I keep using them I should be fine.

I think the girls are looking better already and I'm going to keep a close eye on them. I know the older damaged leaves won't fix themselves so I'll be concentrating on new growth. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have fixed any problems and can start having fun with this grow again. I've been way too worried about them lately.

Rodehazrd

Hi guys
Reading this thread makes me want to pop my Larry now but patience is required in these matters. I'm in my third season and and still do dumb impulsive things sometimes. My worst sins are over watering and starting too many at a time causing overcrowding and thin girls. also I harvested too early the first two times before buying a 20 dollar scope. I started trying to give more room to the roots by jumping to big pots too early but after harvest the roots had only gone to the edge and down but had not filled in the middle. Now I'm trying more potting stages to get a stronger root system Like yours.I hope this move increases my yield. Although I only grow for myself and family I would like more than the 250 gsm I get now. I see Swerve says I should get 800 from the 818 but he is in sales.

Fiddynut

Hi guys
Reading this thread makes me want to pop my Larry now but patience is required in these matters. I'm in my third season and and still do dumb impulsive things sometimes. My worst sins are over watering and starting too many at a time causing overcrowding and thin girls. also I harvested too early the first two times before buying a 20 dollar scope. I started trying to give more room to the roots by jumping to big pots too early but after harvest the roots had only gone to the edge and down but had not filled in the middle. Now I'm trying more potting stages to get a stronger root system Like yours.I hope this move increases my yield. Although I only grow for myself and family I would like more than the 250 gsm I get now. I see Swerve says I should get 800 from the 818 but he is in sales.
Good morning Rodehazrd.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can be impulsive and do dumb things. I just want my plants to be happy and sometimes love them almost to death. Overwater underwater and trying to fix perceived problems that may not even exist. I was convinced I had root aphids last grow and probably stressed my plants with captain jacks dead bug and azamax. Now I know they were just fungus gnats. I haven't been guilty of over crowding yet but if I get the hang of cloning my tents could start to fill up fast. I'm defiantly guilty of having a bad potting this time and will be doing more gradual transplanting next time.

I too just grow for me and my bro and a little for mom and dad but they don't smoke much anymore. A bigger harvest is always better as long as it's dank. I also want to eventually learn to increase my yield so that I can take a couple months off from growing and go on vacations and what not.

I'm not sure what kind of training you do but my Larry didn't like being topped very much. It could have been that they were stressed for other reasons but they shut down for a week after I topped. I had under watered right before and they had some other stress so if not sure how they would have reacted if happy. I'm going to take cuttings from them pretty soon as long as they are happy and we will see how they like a second topping.

Rodehazrd

Good morning Rodehazrd.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can be impulsive and do dumb things. I just want my plants to be happy and sometimes love them almost to death. Overwater underwater and trying to fix perceived problems that may not even exist. I was convinced I had root aphids last grow and probably stressed my plants with captain jacks dead bug and azamax. Now I know they were just fungus gnats. I haven't been guilty of over crowding yet but if I get the hang of cloning my tents could start to fill up fast. I'm defiantly guilty of having a bad potting this time and will be doing more gradual transplanting next time.

I too just grow for me and my bro and a little for mom and dad but they don't smoke much anymore. A bigger harvest is always better as long as it's dank. I also want to eventually learn to increase my yield so that I can take a couple months off from growing and go on vacations and what not.

I'm not sure what kind of training you do but my Larry didn't like being topped very much. It could have been that they were stressed for other reasons but they shut down for a week after I topped. I had under watered right before and they had some other stress so if not sure how they would have reacted if happy. I'm going to take cuttings from them pretty soon as long as they are happy and we will see how they like a second topping.
Fiddy
how much stretch did you get after switching to 12-12. that will determine how to train or support them. I did scrog first in a tent, now my 6x8 has a 11 foot ceiling and i'm trying different things. Tomato cages sucked, bamboo sticks worked well, I put some amnesia {a sativa} on a rolling clothes rack with netting up one side like a vertical scrog. Its doing ok in week 8 of flower will try to post a pix but never have so wish me luck. I want to do sog but the watering is tedious. I tried the 30 gal tub inside another tub of water and that works well but bulky. I plan to do that for clone mothers if i ever find another cut I like. Ive had my 818 cut 3 years and just keep cutting off several lower limbs to clone from each new plant. I clean off the bottom 8" anyway when going to 12-12.

Fiddynut

Fiddy
how much stretch did you get after switching to 12-12. that will determine how to train or support them. I did scrog first in a tent, now my 6x8 has a 11 foot ceiling and i'm trying different things. Tomato cages sucked, bamboo sticks worked well, I put some amnesia {a sativa} on a rolling clothes rack with netting up one side like a vertical scrog. Its doing ok in week 8 of flower will try to post a pix but never have so wish me luck. I want to do sog but the watering is tedious. I tried the 30 gal tub inside another tub of water and that works well but bulky. I plan to do that for clone mothers if i ever find another cut I like. Ive had my 818 cut 3 years and just keep cutting off several lower limbs to clone from each new plant. I clean off the bottom 8" anyway when going to 12-12.
Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
Not sure about the Larry but the Blackwater I grew last time stretched 2.5 times it's hight from when I switched to 12/12. I think the Blackwater has the same father as the Larry so I'm planing on at least that much stretch this time. I didn't plan for support last time so I ended up sticking bamboo sticks through the roots for support. This time I want to put the bamboo in right when I pot up to the final pots. Only thing I'm not sure about is if the bamboo poles will be too tall until the plants grow and I may not be able to get my light close enough at first. I'm thinking about using short poles at first and them put the taller ones in when the plants stretch up a bit.

I admire you guys using the nets but I'm way too much a chicken to scrog. I like to be able to pull my girls out to have a good look at them and water and what not. Someday I may concur my fear and try it but not until I have a few grows under my belt. Vertical scrog sounds cool and I'm defiantly interested in growing a sativa some day. I'd like to do sog someday as well but I have a lot to learn about the basics first. Last time I didn't top or train at all. This time I am topping twice and that's about it. I also want to clean up the bottoms this time to get less popcorn buds and bigger tops.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
evening fiddy!
yeah man, the plants are looking great and i hope they are settling into their new homes
that is weird about the pests, but like ive said before it happens to all of us
you just deal with them and move on

hopefully we can take some cuts soon!

sounds like we might have a new friend following along!
welcome rodehazard!
we have all been there and im most guilty of loving my plants too much
lst and scrog will def be discussed as these babies move along!
im excited to watch as our man learning how to train his plants and make the most of his space

rad on keeping that cut for so long!
headband is a classic! i wish i held on to
so whats your current set up?

Rodehazrd

I run a 1k in a 6x8 i thought that would give plenty of room to move around. I have a 6" can filter and fan for aroma control although with my current run its not doing it. I got some fait 150 cfl bulbs for veg from home depot I move around depending on need. My soil mix keeps changing. Started with FFHF and moved to the OF I found the more pearlite I added the better my plants grew. This year I went with a mix I found on a budrunner post.He sent it in to aglab and they approved as a hibrix soil. I use one bale of promix hp, half a bag of FFHF, one bag of worm castings. To this I add six cups calcitic lime, not dolomite five cups soft rock phosphate, organic I get at walmart, and three cups gypsum. the last batch also got six cups bone char or phosphene. I dump it all on a big tarp and work it from corner to corner for too long. Then it goes in two thirty gallon tubs. I brew a tea of microbes and corn syrup and pour a couple gallons in each tub with a breaker head. Put the lid on it and wait four to six weeks add more brew if it gets dry. In winter keep it above sixty. I have reused this mix by adding the rock powders happy frog and about twenty five percent hp with good results.
I feed the second week of flower with tiger bloom and big bloom 5 mlg and I use budrunners foliar schedule his feeding routine was too hot for my strains. I feed again on week four 10 mlg and thats it.all other watering is done with black diamond humic acid per directions on bottle. search hibrix or budrunner. I bet you enjoy his threads and do highly suggest any reading on C Reams Biological Theory of Ionization which he follows. For my part I now know way more than I understand but I always did enjoy some confusion in my life.

Fiddynut

evening fiddy!
yeah man, the plants are looking great and i hope they are settling into their new homes
that is weird about the pests, but like ive said before it happens to all of us
you just deal with them and move on

hopefully we can take some cuts soon!

sounds like we might have a new friend following along!
welcome rodehazard!
we have all been there and im most guilty of loving my plants too much
lst and scrog will def be discussed as these babies move along!
im excited to watch as our man learning how to train his plants and make the most of his space

rad on keeping that cut for so long!
headband is a classic! i wish i held on to
so whats your current set up?
Good morning pop_rocks.
I think the girls are enjoying their new homes. I took some pics this morning and will do an update today.
The tops of 1&2 are growing again and have a couple or three nodes but I'm thinking of letting them grow a couple more so when I cut there are a couple nodes left. I doubt it would be good for structure if I cut them all the was back to where I originally topped them. I also want to make sure they are happy since they didn't seem to like the last topping but that may have been because of other stresses. Plant 3 is ready to take a cutting any time now.

It's great to have Rodehazrd following along and it sounds like he is an adventurous grower. All this talk of scrog'ing has me more interested but I'm still too chicken. Maybe a couple more grows and I'll be more adventurous. I'm just worried about not being able to move my plants around.

Fiddynut

I run a 1k in a 6x8 i thought that would give plenty of room to move around. I have a 6" can filter and fan for aroma control although with my current run its not doing it. I got some fait 150 cfl bulbs for veg from home depot I move around depending on need. My soil mix keeps changing. Started with FFHF and moved to the OF I found the more pearlite I added the better my plants grew. This year I went with a mix I found on a budrunner post.He sent it in to aglab and they approved as a hibrix soil. I use one bale of promix hp, half a bag of FFHF, one bag of worm castings. To this I add six cups calcitic lime, not dolomite five cups soft rock phosphate, organic I get at walmart, and three cups gypsum. the last batch also got six cups bone char or phosphene. I dump it all on a big tarp and work it from corner to corner for too long. Then it goes in two thirty gallon tubs. I brew a tea of microbes and corn syrup and pour a couple gallons in each tub with a breaker head. Put the lid on it and wait four to six weeks add more brew if it gets dry. In winter keep it above sixty. I have reused this mix by adding the rock powders happy frog and about twenty five percent hp with good results.
I feed the second week of flower with tiger bloom and big bloom 5 mlg and I use budrunners foliar schedule his feeding routine was too hot for my strains. I feed again on week four 10 mlg and thats it.all other watering is done with black diamond humic acid per directions on bottle. search hibrix or budrunner. I bet you enjoy his threads and do highly suggest any reading on C Reams Biological Theory of Ionization which he follows. For my part I now know way more than I understand but I always did enjoy some confusion in my life.
Sounds like interesting stuff Rodehazrd. I'm interested in building a soil that mostly has everything my plants need someday. I'll have to look up some of those posts you reference.

Fiddynut

Update and pics.

Update and pics.

It's been a couple days so time for an update. The girls look to me like they are getting happy again after a couple weeks of being up and down. They are growing again and I haven't seen that droopy look since the repot on Saturday. I haven't seen any new signs of problems on any of the new growth. Some of the fan leaves on 1&2 are slightly pale but otherwise looking pretty good. Plant 3 is growing and now only an inch or so shorter than 1&2. The tops on 1&2 are growing well finally and should be ready to take clones from soon. Their are 3.5 days post transplant and the soil is just starting to dry on top for the first time but still nice and moist just below the surface. I'm in a much better mood this week and finding that my happiness is related to the health of my plants.

I'm super happy with the structure of plant 1. The lower branches are almost fought up with the tops and this should make for a bunch of colas at the same hight. This one is going to make better use of the light than any of my plants on my first grow. Here are a couple pics of her.

Plant 2 also has nice structure and is just a little slower growing than #1. Both have nice thick hearty stems. Here are a couple pics of her.

Plant 3 is looking good as well but since it's a week behind it's hard to tell how the structure is going to be. So far it's less bushy.

I'm going to watch these girls for a few more days before doing anything to them. I want to get the cuttings taken and get them ready for flower within a couple weeks. I'm already getting nervous about them out growing my tent when they stretch out. I think I'll be fine as long as I don't let them get over 18" or so before flipping. Their also starting to smell like pot plants again and I love that young plant smell.

Rodehazrd

Fiddy
I agree with you on a soil that gives everything needed for the full 9 weeks. I did that to some 818 using straight OF and had happy healthy girls. Adding 30 percent pearlite did make it better. The change to a fabric pot was another improvement. I dont know why but side by side you can see a difference. On my current mix I am finding less added nutes to be just fine and they are plenty green. Microherd doing its job on the rock powders i think. So now unless I see trouble just give the humate water.
I see a lot about flushing but have never thought it made any difference in flavor. May be Pop rocks could chime in on that. It seems to be an accepted practice but I come to think of the flower as a sink and not able to transport ions out. The mother gives everything to the flower not the other way. Eh?

Rodehazrd

It's been a couple days so time for an update. The girls look to me like they are getting happy again after a couple weeks of being up and down. They are growing again and I haven't seen that droopy look since the repot on Saturday. I haven't seen any new signs of problems on any of the new growth. Some of the fan leaves on 1&2 are slightly pale but otherwise looking pretty good. Plant 3 is growing and now only an inch or so shorter than 1&2. The tops on 1&2 are growing well finally and should be ready to take clones from soon. Their are 3.5 days post transplant and the soil is just starting to dry on top for the first time but still nice and moist just below the surface. I'm in a much better mood this week and finding that my happiness is related to the health of my plants.

I'm super happy with the structure of plant 1. The lower branches are almost fought up with the tops and this should make for a bunch of colas at the same hight. This one is going to make better use of the light than any of my plants on my first grow. Here are a couple pics of her.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1670886&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1670885&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1670884&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Plant 2 also has nice structure and is just a little slower growing than #1. Both have nice thick hearty stems. Here are a couple pics of her.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1670882&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1670880&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Plant 3 is looking good as well but since it's a week behind it's hard to tell how the structure is going to be. So far it's less bushy.

I'm going to watch these girls for a few more days before doing anything to them. I want to get the cuttings taken and get them ready for flower within a couple weeks. I'm already getting nervous about them out growing my tent when they stretch out. I think I'll be fine as long as I don't let them get over 18" or so before flipping. Their also starting to smell like pot plants again and I love that young plant smell.

I see those green veins there I have that too on a 707 headband that got over fed and a repot .

Fiddynut

Fiddy
I agree with you on a soil that gives everything needed for the full 9 weeks. I did that to some 818 using straight OF and had happy healthy girls. Adding 30 percent pearlite did make it better. The change to a fabric pot was another improvement. I dont know why but side by side you can see a difference. On my current mix I am finding less added nutes to be just fine and they are plenty green. Microherd doing its job on the rock powders i think. So now unless I see trouble just give the humate water.
I see a lot about flushing but have never thought it made any difference in flavor. May be Pop rocks could chime in on that. It seems to be an accepted practice but I come to think of the flower as a sink and not able to transport ions out. The mother gives everything to the flower not the other way. Eh?
I'm thinking about the fabric pots as well. From what I've been reading it seems that the roots get more air and soil dries more uniformly. I think that must make a difference in growth. Only reason I didn't try them yet is a friend of mine says he tried them and felt like he couldn't trust them not to fall over. I haven't herd any other reports of them being unstable so I'm thinking he was just paranoid. I think they also do a better job of pruning roots and not letting them spin out so much.

Most of what I've read about flushing is it seems to be more important if you are using a lot of salt based synthetic nutes. Routine flushes to keep salts from building up and affecting roots. And a final flush to let the plants use up it's nuts and yellow out. I was using organic budswel last grow and didn't do any final flush. If I use a lot of nutes in flower I will probably do a flush at the end of this grow but mostly because other people do and recommend it. I could see myself doing a side by side experiment sometime to see how much difference it makes.

Fiddynut

I see those green veins there I have that too on a 707 headband that got over fed and a repot .
Keeping an eye on them. I transplanted into a hotter soil than I started them in so they may have to adjust to the new soil. I shouldn't need to feed them until after the final transplant which I'm thinking is only a couple weeks away.

Rodehazrd

Here's some shots of my room
The old clothes rack I already had the net just holds the thin stems up. The side by side shot is an 818 / 707 both got same feeding 707 didn't like it. I flushed some repotted most left this one with just watering

Attachments

• IMG_20161110_073355.jpg
    IMG_20161110_073355.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20161110_072632.jpg
    IMG_20161110_072632.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20161110_072652.jpg
    IMG_20161110_072652.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 14
  • c99P harvest 1
    c99P harvest 1
    61.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20161110_072524.jpg
    IMG_20161110_072524.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 22

Fiddynut

Here's some shots of my room
The old clothes rack I already had the net just holds the thin stems up. The side by side shot is an 818 / 707 both got same feeding 707 didn't like it. I flushed some repotted most left this one with just watering
Good morning Rodehazrd.
That is a nice sized space you have to work with there. I like the support you are giving your girls. That rack is a great idea. I broke off a couple branches late in flower on my first grow because they got too heavy and I hadent done a good job of supporting them. It was ok because it gave me a chance to sample but I want to avoid that this time.

That side by side is interesting. I am surprised that the different strains have such different feeding preferences. When I was reasearching before my first grow I found feeding to be one of the most confusing aspects of growing. So many products and everyone seems to do it differently. I just want to learn to read my plants so I can experiment a bit. I see the stripes on the one on the left. Some of my leaves look similar.

Rodehazrd

I don't know if all.the 707 phenotypes are that sensitive this is a freebie or ufo from the seed co. I only got the one seed but she stanky and easy to clone. Close branching and well done in 8 weeks.
All those free ones to taste crowds my room,so this find makes it worth it try more of them.
Strains I won't continue, emdog nice colas,slow too much body effect I'm happy to have a jar for late night but mine not really a keeper

Original amnesia still too much couchlock
Mango tango nice small buds low yield delicious
AK 47 the phenotype I liked auto flowering on 24 hr cfl so lost it
Serious Happiness pretty bush not for keeps
Grizzly purple kush close may order more for a closer look very delicious
I'm confused about the sativa it's supposed to be all up but some are and some not so .much

Fiddynut

I don't know if all.the 707 phenotypes are that sensitive this is a freebie or ufo from the seed co. I only got the one seed but she stanky and easy to clone. Close branching and well done in 8 weeks.
All those free ones to taste crowds my room,so this find makes it worth it try more of them.
Strains I won't continue, emdog nice colas,slow too much body effect I'm happy to have a jar for late night but mine not really a keeper

Original amnesia still too much couchlock
Mango tango nice small buds low yield delicious
AK 47 the phenotype I liked auto flowering on 24 hr cfl so lost it
Serious Happiness pretty bush not for keeps
Grizzly purple kush close may order more for a closer look very delicious
I'm confused about the sativa it's supposed to be all up but some are and some not so .much
Sounds good Rodehazrd.
I haven't even herd of a lot of these strains you speak of. Where I live there's no med or rec and most of the buds people are selling you never know the strain. I got these 3 packs of cc seeds from a friend in the sf Bay Area. I have enough beans for 1 or 2 more runs and then I gotta pick some new genetics. I have a lot of research to do because I want an old school type of road kill skunk sour flavor. I've heard of a lot of the older strains and the classics but it seems like there are so many choices today it's a bit overwhelming. One of the things that is driving my desire to learn to clone is that I want to find some pheno's that I like and try to keep them around. Every time I log on to a seed bank and start browsing I get kind of over stimulated and all the pictures of the buds look great. I defiantly want to try some classics like Nl and purple haze and skunk1. It's early in the journey of growing for me and I have a lot to learn but am motivated and don't mind putting in the effort. It's easer for me to grow good weed than to find it here. I guess that's what motivates a lot of us.

Rodehazrd

Yeah
I had not heard of most of them either.I did order the 818 on recommendations of the seed bank all the others were samples I cloned. I just got in an order of 6 818s looking for another phenotypes and the 10 regular Larry's were samples from swerve at cali. I do.t know if it's ok to name the seed bank but when I pay the special shipping I get a nice bag and they never fail to arrive. Always shipped from a different European countries.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
evening fellows!
those are some nice plants rode' what is that thing in the 2nd pic?
is it like a clothes rack or something?
it looks like its easy to move but gives you solid support for your netting

as far as flushing goes, i stop feeding my plants for the last couple weeks
whatever nutrient program im using i stop after about the 6-7 week of flower even if its jsut teas and sugars
ive heard you can feed them molasis up until the end but i just cut out all supplements and give them plain water
i dont really do a heavy flush when growing in soil but i tend to go light on nutrients

so many great strains out there!
what are some that you would consider keepers?