What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

Rodehazrd

Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
I'm interested to see how they do as well. This is my first try so we'll see. I'll be updating this thread with a post about taking the cuttings today and I'll keep up the progress reports.

I haven't planted according to moon cycles as of yet. I didn't really even know that that stuff pertained to indoor gardens until I read your post a few days ago. I am thinking of using that in the future though. After reading a couple articles about it I'm interested. I have to read more about it so that I can get a better idea of how it all works.

I just looked up today on a moon gardening calendar and it looks like I picked a bad day to take cuttings. It says today is a great day to harvest because of full moon but it's a bad day to prune or transplant. If I'm understanding this right I'd have to wait until after the new moon until the moon starts getting bigger again to get the benefits. Maybe better planing next time but I had to get them done this morning. At least im learning something.

Well ,
Like granddaddy said " best sign you got all your stuff together".
And a diminished moon is good for roots. So there's that going for you.

Fiddynut

Update

Update

The girls were thirsty last night after 3 days since last watering. I gave them 7 cups of water at ph6.8. They were looking happy and have been filling out lately. New growth has been looking nice and green and they have been growing about 1/2 inch a day all last week. I want to get them flipped as soon as possible so I decided to take the cuttings today. I was temped to chicken out and not take cuts after seeing how they reacted to topping last time. I was really thinking of just veging them for another week and then putting them in the flower tent. I decided to man up and just do it. I want to learn to clone but don't want to kill my plants accidentally and possibly miss a harvest. So my fingers are crossed that the girls are not going to freak out on me.

The topping went smoothly. I had set out everything I needed. I had a shot glass with water to put the cut into right after taking it off the plant. Sterilized razor and cutting board to cut the nodes and diagonal cut. Another shot glass full of rooting gel to leave the cut in for a couple min. I'm using a few toothpicks to prop up the rapid rooters. Everything went easy and smoothly. For something that I was a little intimidated to try it went really well.

One thing that seemed odd was one of the tops on plant 2 has unevenly spaced nodes. I don't see that anywhere else on any of my plants. I remember reeding something a few months ago that said plants from seed tend to have even node spacing and clones have uneven spacing. Just something that I remember reeding that stuck out.
Here is a pic of that cut.

So I'll be keeping a close eye on the girls for signs of stress and an eye on the humidity dome to make sure it stays moist in there. I'll have to make sure I check on them at least a couple times a day. I took the cutting a couple hours before lights out and the lights will be coming back on in a couple hours so it will be interesting to get a look at them then.
Here is a pic of everyone in their homes.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
way to go!
i know it was tough at the time, but you did the home work and set yourself up to do it right
im glad you made that first cut!
as long as there is a node between your fingers, that is just about the same sized cutting i would have taken too!
so far everything is looking great,man!
how many cuts did you take total?
pnly from #1-2?
i dont know if i mentioned getting the holder trays for the cubes, but i like your tooth pick idea!
only thing is,you might have to get them into their baby homes a few days sooner as the roots will naturally air prune themselves whereas in the container they would grow down into the bottom following the water

yeah, you packer fans have had it good for a long time
i imagine that a whole generation of fans does not know what it means to not win
at least my chargers keep it interesting by finding new ways to give up games
and now i dont even think they will be in san diego next season...
ill always be a chargers fan but if they leave san diego i may be looking for a new team

i dont really know much about moon cycles and gardening
i always assumed it was because the added illumination helping wiht the harvest/planting?
/i also know we are having the biggest full moon of the year and im going for a night bike ride tomorrow! love riding at night!

maybe you can you share some of what you know about the subject
liek fiddy' said, we are all about learning here!

Rodehazrd

I think you will have good results on clones. I think the health of the mother is the biggie in being successful. And some strains just don't cut well .
Only real clone failure I had was on some sick way overfed cuts I tried to take for a neighbor. He had gotten guano and been too happy with it. I read about spraying the mother every day to leach out nitrogen. That guy also used honey as a rooting gel.
Being a beekeeper that calls to me.
On new strains I get the razor and make clean cuts. On my 818 it's so easy growing I just trim with my fiskars dip and go. Sometimes one fails but not many

Fiddynut

way to go!
i know it was tough at the time, but you did the home work and set yourself up to do it right
im glad you made that first cut!
as long as there is a node between your fingers, that is just about the same sized cutting i would have taken too!
so far everything is looking great,man!
how many cuts did you take total?
pnly from #1-2?
i dont know if i mentioned getting the holder trays for the cubes, but i like your tooth pick idea!
only thing is,you might have to get them into their baby homes a few days sooner as the roots will naturally air prune themselves whereas in the container they would grow down into the bottom following the water

yeah, you packer fans have had it good for a long time
i imagine that a whole generation of fans does not know what it means to not win
at least my chargers keep it interesting by finding new ways to give up games
and now i dont even think they will be in san diego next season...
ill always be a chargers fan but if they leave san diego i may be looking for a new team

i dont really know much about moon cycles and gardening
i always assumed it was because the added illumination helping wiht the harvest/planting?
/i also know we are having the biggest full moon of the year and im going for a night bike ride tomorrow! love riding at night!

maybe you can you share some of what you know about the subject
liek fiddy' said, we are all about learning here!
Good morning pop_rocks.
Yep I don't know why I was so intimidated, it was an easy process. I think I was more worried about how the girls would react. If I accidentally kill them I'm going to be out of buds before I can get another harvest if I have to start over. Just me being paranoid. They still look happy as of this morning which is 24 hours post cutting. I think the fact that they were so much happier yesterday when I took the cuts than when I topped last time is big.

I took a total of 5 cuttings. One from the #3 plant that hadn't been topped because I was letting it catch up to the others that are a week older. I took both tops from the 1&2 plants so I have two of each plant and twice the chance of success. The cuts may be on the slightly smaller side from what I've seen but they are tops and were growing vigorously before being cut. Many of the YouTube vids of cloning that I watched were showing how to take cuttings from more mature plants and they were taking longer cuttings but the stems were skinnier than the ones I took. Time will tell how well they do.

I neglected to plant on holders for the rooter plugs. I'll pick up some trays on the next trip to the hydro store. The tooth pics were just a thought I had to keep them mostly upright. I could put them each in a small cup or something but for now I was thinking it would be better if they got as much air as possible. Once I start to vent the dome I'm probably going to want them to retain more water and maybe just put them in foam coffee cups with perlite or something.

Yep us packer fans have been spoiled for a long time. You can bet nobody under 25 or 30 years old remembers when the team was a joke in the 1980's. I predict that the packers have some tough years ahead and the fans will have to learn to deal with disappointment. 25 years of HoF quarterbacks and only 2 rings pisses me off. That's crazy that the chargers might move and that St. Louis and Oakland too. The chargers have that great running back that they drafted from Wisconsin. He was fun to watch in collage. I hope they stay in SD.

Fiddynut

I think you will have good results on clones. I think the health of the mother is the biggie in being successful. And some strains just don't cut well .
Only real clone failure I had was on some sick way overfed cuts I tried to take for a neighbor. He had gotten guano and been too happy with it. I read about spraying the mother every day to leach out nitrogen. That guy also used honey as a rooting gel.
Being a beekeeper that calls to me.
On new strains I get the razor and make clean cuts. On my 818 it's so easy growing I just trim with my fiskars dip and go. Sometimes one fails but not many
Good morning Rodehazrd.
I hope you are right that these baby's will root. The moms were real happy and are still looking good both right after and 24 hours after taking cuts. So far the Larry's have taken my abuse with mostly a smile on their faces.

I've herd that too much nitrogen keeps the cuttings from rooting and that is one of the reason that I haven't really been feeding these girls yet. I've also herd that honey is a natural rooting stimulant. I think I read that some people use aspirin as well.

That's cool you keep bees. How are your colonies doing? I've herd a lot about all the problems with the bees dieting off in the last few years. We need them to do all the work of pollination and stuff. I stopped using any kind of pesticide on my grass because it might be bad for the bees. I bet having that nice fresh honey is a great reward.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
i like your idea of putting the rr's into a small cup
fill it with coco coir or perlite
you can wait a little, but if you start seeing white roots against the edge of the rr cube you need to get them moved
/with these babies, its all about the root and we dont want any airpruning

cloning is one of those things that seems harder than it looks
if you have the right tools and a little knowledge the rest is the plant
as far as the vents on the dome go, i dont really use them
once they are at a point where i would open the vent, im ready to start hardening them off so i jsut take the cover off all together
/please consider that i live in a place where 60%rh is kind of the norm
//in a drier climate like where you are at you may want to keep a closer eye on them, esp this first time around until you get a feel for your cloning enviroment

@rhodehaz': that is intersting that you know someone who uses honey a a rooting jell!
honey has a natural antiseptic property and as long as the rest of the enviroment is right a clone want to root

Rodehazrd

Pop I just read about th honey. Jelly is so cheap for such a small grow like mine but it could happen a few month ago I had to dig out an old bag of rootone.
As far as the moon signs go I do see anecdotal evidence of planting by the phases but the signs I would not say that. I did start my last seeds in Libra one day before new moon as Dubi for ace seeds does. But how would I know if it were better? Compared to what as they say. But Dubi has grown out thousands and if he says it I'll honor it if I can

Fiddynut

i like your idea of putting the rr's into a small cup
fill it with coco coir or perlite
you can wait a little, but if you start seeing white roots against the edge of the rr cube you need to get them moved
/with these babies, its all about the root and we dont want any airpruning

cloning is one of those things that seems harder than it looks
if you have the right tools and a little knowledge the rest is the plant
as far as the vents on the dome go, i dont really use them
once they are at a point where i would open the vent, im ready to start hardening them off so i jsut take the cover off all together
/please consider that i live in a place where 60%rh is kind of the norm
//in a drier climate like where you are at you may want to keep a closer eye on them, esp this first time around until you get a feel for your cloning enviroment

@rhodehaz': that is intersting that you know someone who uses honey a a rooting jell!
honey has a natural antiseptic property and as long as the rest of the enviroment is right a clone want to root
Good morning pop_rocks.
I'll keep a close eye out for roots and use foam cups with vermiculite if I see any if I don't get to the hydro store and get trays. So far they look just like they did 2 days ago when I put them in. I noticed that the dome is staying humid. I'll give them a little mist when the dome dries. If they still look good in a few days I'll start pulling the dome off for an hour or two and see how they react. If they seem ok I'll start leaving it off for longer or all together. I've got my dehuey off and have been able to get humidity up to about 60% or so in the tent. The cold and dry air is going to start moving in in a few days so we will see how the humidity is once it cools off. I suspect it will get hard to keep humidity above 50% soon. Maybe I'll start looking into humidifiers.

Fiddynut

Update

Update

Just a quick update this morning. The girls were thirsty last night so I gave them water and a little kelp fertilizer. I kept the feeding very light at 2ml per gallon water. The plants look healthy and happy. New growth has started at the topping sights. The #3 plant is starting to bulk up and get a little more bushy in the last couple days. On the 1&2 plants the lower branches have grown higher than the tops. I think they are looking nice and healthy.

This was the third watering since transplant. It took them 5 days to dry out after the transplant and first soak. The next watering was 3 days later and they were very dry and got slightly droopy. This last watering was only 2 days later and they weren't droopy but the pots were very light and I didn't want to let them go another 12 hours without. I have a box fan blowing right across the tops of the pots and I think that is part of why they are drying out so quickly. I also think they are looking to get to their bigger pots pretty soon. Since they didn't seem to mind the topping a couple days ago I'm thinking they won't mind being transplanted in a few days. I want to get them into the flower tent soon since they are already 16" tall. I want to keep them to 36"-42" max final size and I'm counting on at least a 2x stretch. They are already as tall as my last ones were when I flipped to 12/12. I'm going to do a little training and tying down this time so that should help them not get too tall.

The cuttings I took a couple days ago look just like they did when I put them in the rooters and into the dome. I gave them a couple mists of water last night and they still seem nice and moist this morning. I'm not expecting much action out of them for at least a few more days but I'm keeping a close eye on them for any changes. I've herd it's not good to let them get too comfortable in the dome for too long or they will just chill and not grow roots. Having no experience with this I'll just have to play around and get a feel for it.
Here is a group shot from this morning.

Tri_Cho_Me

Just a quick update this morning. The girls were thirsty last night so I gave them water and a little kelp fertilizer. I kept the feeding very light at 2ml per gallon water. The plants look healthy and happy. New growth has started at the topping sights. The #3 plant is starting to bulk up and get a little more bushy in the last couple days. On the 1&2 plants the lower branches have grown higher than the tops. I think they are looking nice and healthy.

This was the third watering since transplant. It took them 5 days to dry out after the transplant and first soak. The next watering was 3 days later and they were very dry and got slightly droopy. This last watering was only 2 days later and they weren't droopy but the pots were very light and I didn't want to let them go another 12 hours without. I have a box fan blowing right across the tops of the pots and I think that is part of why they are drying out so quickly. I also think they are looking to get to their bigger pots pretty soon. Since they didn't seem to mind the topping a couple days ago I'm thinking they won't mind being transplanted in a few days. I want to get them into the flower tent soon since they are already 16" tall. I want to keep them to 36"-42" max final size and I'm counting on at least a 2x stretch. They are already as tall as my last ones were when I flipped to 12/12. I'm going to do a little training and tying down this time so that should help them not get too tall.

The cuttings I took a couple days ago look just like they did when I put them in the rooters and into the dome. I gave them a couple mists of water last night and they still seem nice and moist this morning. I'm not expecting much action out of them for at least a few more days but I'm keeping a close eye on them for any changes. I've herd it's not good to let them get too comfortable in the dome for too long or they will just chill and not grow roots. Having no experience with this I'll just have to play around and get a feel for it.
Here is a group shot from this morning.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1673443&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I wish I could pick my pots up, but the scrog kind of prevents that. I rely on memory, as well as look/feel. As a guess, I would say I water around every 3 days on average. That is for my 5 gallon ladies. The one gallon ladies of course dry out a bit quicker, but since they're just bag seed bullshit, I let'em ride so I can water it all at once.

In regards to your last paragraph, have you tried topping? Or did you do that already and I'm not remembering? :joint:
If not, I did it with my current round and seem to be having good results so far. Although, I have nothing to compare to. I know it stunts the growth, so the other buds can catch up, as well as disperses auxin to the other tops.

Tri_Cho_Me

Fiddynut

I wish I could pick my pots up, but the scrog kind of prevents that. I rely on memory, as well as look/feel. As a guess, I would say I water around every 3 days on average. That is for my 5 gallon ladies. The one gallon ladies of course dry out a bit quicker, but since they're just bag seed bullshit, I let'em ride so I can water it all at once.

In regards to your last paragraph, have you tried topping? Or did you do that already and I'm not remembering? :joint:
If not, I did it with my current round and seem to be having good results so far. Although, I have nothing to compare to. I know it stunts the growth, so the other buds can catch up, as well as disperses auxin to the other tops.

Tri_Cho_Me
Good afternoon Tri_Cho_Me.
One of the reasons I'm too chicken to try a scrog net is that I'm more comfortable being able to pick up the pots to see how light they are. I also like to be able to take the girls out to inspect them for pests and what not. I will probably get over it at some point and try it though. I've changed my circulation fan mid grow and I think that is part of why I'm unable to estimate how often to water. I've under watered a couple times this grow because I didn't expect them to dry so fast. It something I'll get better with experience and I still put my finger down into the soil as a gauge as well. Once they are in their final pots I'll have it pretty dialed I think. Going to pot up and flip to 12/12 in a couple weeks max.

Plants 1&2 were topped early at the fifth node while plant 3 was catching up and not topped previously. They were all topped again Monday morning when I took the cuttings. I took the one top off the three plant and both tops off the 1&2. The girls didn't react well to the first topping but I had a couple other stresses at that time which must have contributed to their reaction. They all seem like they are doing well after the final topping on Monday so no worries about the plants being freaked out. I can tell these girls are going to have many more tops than my first grow when I let them grow naturally. The side branches on 1&2 are already above the tops and both are super bushy. I know the tops will catch up once they take off again and I'm going to try to tie them down a bit for a more even canopy.

Tri_Cho_Me

Good afternoon Tri_Cho_Me.
One of the reasons I'm too chicken to try a scrog net is that I'm more comfortable being able to pick up the pots to see how light they are. I also like to be able to take the girls out to inspect them for pests and what not. I will probably get over it at some point and try it though. I've changed my circulation fan mid grow and I think that is part of why I'm unable to estimate how often to water. I've under watered a couple times this grow because I didn't expect them to dry so fast. It something I'll get better with experience and I still put my finger down into the soil as a gauge as well. Once they are in their final pots I'll have it pretty dialed I think. Going to pot up and flip to 12/12 in a couple weeks max.

Plants 1&2 were topped early at the fifth node while plant 3 was catching up and not topped previously. They were all topped again Monday morning when I took the cuttings. I took the one top off the three plant and both tops off the 1&2. The girls didn't react well to the first topping but I had a couple other stresses at that time which must have contributed to their reaction. They all seem like they are doing well after the final topping on Monday so no worries about the plants being freaked out. I can tell these girls are going to have many more tops than my first grow when I let them grow naturally. The side branches on 1&2 are already above the tops and both are super bushy. I know the tops will catch up once they take off again and I'm going to try to tie them down a bit for a more even canopy.

Yea, I've heard to only top when your plant is completely healthy, or like you said, it can be more detrimental than you had hoped. Sounds like you're in the clear though! You learned something :)

Cheers,
Tri_Cho_Me

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
the cups will work just fine and the plant will prob outgrown the cups ability to support the clone before it gets too root bound
when you say they look just like they did two days ago, you mean upright and full, right?
that is great and means they are not suffering too much
keep the dome on for at least the first week-10days
at this point the cuttings dont have any roots to supply themselves wiht water and nutrients
by keeping them in a humid environment, we minimize transpiration
this gives them time to grow some roots and start feeding themselves

it jsut occourred to me that if you have like some deep ice cube trays those might work too
you just dont want light hitting the sides of the rr'cubes

maybe hold off on the humidifier
by using the dome you can create the micro environment that is best for your cuttings while still keeping the rest of your garden happy
we dotn want the whole space to be at high humidity
/soon, you are flowering and vegging and pulling clones in teh same room
so does it feel like winter there yet,man?
the weather here in san diego changed overnight and its damp and cold outside today
/i think this time its for real and we can begin to enjoy the fall weather

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
yeah rode, its kind of hard to tell what really works
as long as its not putting any extra plates on the table, why not?
it would be fun to try an experiment and see if others can tell the difference between the two

if nothing else i think it would be a fun experiment and im in for the lulz

Rodehazrd

Hey fiddly
I used a moisture probe at first
Cheap and consistant.I still drag it out sometimes. Mine has ph too but I used paper. Now I see ph a moving target and don't try to correct it

Fiddynut

Yea, I've heard to only top when your plant is completely healthy, or like you said, it can be more detrimental than you had hoped. Sounds like you're in the clear though! You learned something :)

Cheers,
Tri_Cho_Me
Good morning Tri_Cho_Me.
Yep I learned something once again. I feel like I learn something every day here on icmag. Even if it's something that doesn't pertain to my currant grow I learn something I can look back on and say ah-ha and make the connection.

Fiddynut

the cups will work just fine and the plant will prob outgrown the cups ability to support the clone before it gets too root bound
when you say they look just like they did two days ago, you mean upright and full, right?
that is great and means they are not suffering too much
keep the dome on for at least the first week-10days
at this point the cuttings dont have any roots to supply themselves wiht water and nutrients
by keeping them in a humid environment, we minimize transpiration
this gives them time to grow some roots and start feeding themselves

it jsut occourred to me that if you have like some deep ice cube trays those might work too
you just dont want light hitting the sides of the rr'cubes

maybe hold off on the humidifier
by using the dome you can create the micro environment that is best for your cuttings while still keeping the rest of your garden happy
we dotn want the whole space to be at high humidity
/soon, you are flowering and vegging and pulling clones in teh same room
so does it feel like winter there yet,man?
the weather here in san diego changed overnight and its damp and cold outside today
/i think this time its for real and we can begin to enjoy the fall weather
Good morning pop_rocks.
They aren't really standing up but not any more droopy than when they were cut. They were all new growth so they were a little droopy to begin with. I'll take some pics tonight of them. I'll probably have to water tonight and want to get some pics of the individual plants up anyway. It's not critical that the cuts make it but if they don't do well I'd like to find out why so I can do things differently next time. I'll keep them moist and won't give up on them too quick. I'll probably get them in cups with vermiculite tonight as well. I'm thinking I should soak the vermiculite first and then also put some drainage holes in the cups. Then I can pull the rooters out to check for roots when I need to.

I'll hold off on the humidifier until the cold dry air gets here and well see how it goes. I'm thinking I still want it close to 50% for flower and 60% for veg. If I keep some water in the veg tent that may keep it a little more moist in there. If my basement drops below 45% I may have to rase the humidity to keep it at 50 in the flower tent. I'll just have to keep an eye on it and adjust accordingly. Both tents are in the basement right next to each other. I look at it as the basement is a lung room since that's where the tents get there air from.

Winter is holding off for another couple days here. Today it's high 60's and sunny. Way above normal temps for us. Big changes this weekend it's predicted to be high in the upper 30's. Maybe even get some snow flurries.
Glad you are getting a break from the heat. Cool and damp is good riding weather.

Fiddynut

Hey fiddly
I used a moisture probe at first
Cheap and consistant.I still drag it out sometimes. Mine has ph too but I used paper. Now I see ph a moving target and don't try to correct it
Good morning Rodehazrd.
I've seen those probes at the garden store but didn't know how reliable they are. It sounds like they must work and it might be a good idea for me to get one.

When you say that pH is a moving target and you don't try to correct are you talking about soil pH? Do you still pH your water and nutes or nothing at all? I've herd that with organic grows there is no need to pH anything. I'd like to here more about your method.

Latest posts

Latest posts