• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodehazrd
    replied
    Originally posted by Fiddynut View Post
    Good morning Rodehazrd.
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can be impulsive and do dumb things. I just want my plants to be happy and sometimes love them almost to death. Overwater underwater and trying to fix perceived problems that may not even exist. I was convinced I had root aphids last grow and probably stressed my plants with captain jacks dead bug and azamax. Now I know they were just fungus gnats. I haven't been guilty of over crowding yet but if I get the hang of cloning my tents could start to fill up fast. I'm defiantly guilty of having a bad potting this time and will be doing more gradual transplanting next time.

I too just grow for me and my bro and a little for mom and dad but they don't smoke much anymore. A bigger harvest is always better as long as it's dank. I also want to eventually learn to increase my yield so that I can take a couple months off from growing and go on vacations and what not.

I'm not sure what kind of training you do but my Larry didn't like being topped very much. It could have been that they were stressed for other reasons but they shut down for a week after I topped. I had under watered right before and they had some other stress so if not sure how they would have reacted if happy. I'm going to take cuttings from them pretty soon as long as they are happy and we will see how they like a second topping.
    Fiddy
    how much stretch did you get after switching to 12-12. that will determine how to train or support them. I did scrog first in a tent, now my 6x8 has a 11 foot ceiling and i'm trying different things. Tomato cages sucked, bamboo sticks worked well, I put some amnesia {a sativa} on a rolling clothes rack with netting up one side like a vertical scrog. Its doing ok in week 8 of flower will try to post a pix but never have so wish me luck. I want to do sog but the watering is tedious. I tried the 30 gal tub inside another tub of water and that works well but bulky. I plan to do that for clone mothers if i ever find another cut I like. Ive had my 818 cut 3 years and just keep cutting off several lower limbs to clone from each new plant. I clean off the bottom 8" anyway when going to 12-12.

Leave a comment:

• Fiddynut
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodehazrd View Post
    Hi guys
    Reading this thread makes me want to pop my Larry now but patience is required in these matters. I'm in my third season and and still do dumb impulsive things sometimes. My worst sins are over watering and starting too many at a time causing overcrowding and thin girls. also I harvested too early the first two times before buying a 20 dollar scope. I started trying to give more room to the roots by jumping to big pots too early but after harvest the roots had only gone to the edge and down but had not filled in the middle. Now I'm trying more potting stages to get a stronger root system Like yours.I hope this move increases my yield. Although I only grow for myself and family I would like more than the 250 gsm I get now. I see Swerve says I should get 800 from the 818 but he is in sales.
    Good morning Rodehazrd.
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can be impulsive and do dumb things. I just want my plants to be happy and sometimes love them almost to death. Overwater underwater and trying to fix perceived problems that may not even exist. I was convinced I had root aphids last grow and probably stressed my plants with captain jacks dead bug and azamax. Now I know they were just fungus gnats. I haven't been guilty of over crowding yet but if I get the hang of cloning my tents could start to fill up fast. I'm defiantly guilty of having a bad potting this time and will be doing more gradual transplanting next time.

I too just grow for me and my bro and a little for mom and dad but they don't smoke much anymore. A bigger harvest is always better as long as it's dank. I also want to eventually learn to increase my yield so that I can take a couple months off from growing and go on vacations and what not.

I'm not sure what kind of training you do but my Larry didn't like being topped very much. It could have been that they were stressed for other reasons but they shut down for a week after I topped. I had under watered right before and they had some other stress so if not sure how they would have reacted if happy. I'm going to take cuttings from them pretty soon as long as they are happy and we will see how they like a second topping.

Leave a comment:

• Rodehazrd
    replied
    Hi guys
    Reading this thread makes me want to pop my Larry now but patience is required in these matters. I'm in my third season and and still do dumb impulsive things sometimes. My worst sins are over watering and starting too many at a time causing overcrowding and thin girls. also I harvested too early the first two times before buying a 20 dollar scope. I started trying to give more room to the roots by jumping to big pots too early but after harvest the roots had only gone to the edge and down but had not filled in the middle. Now I'm trying more potting stages to get a stronger root system Like yours.I hope this move increases my yield. Although I only grow for myself and family I would like more than the 250 gsm I get now. I see Swerve says I should get 800 from the 818 but he is in sales.

Leave a comment:

• Fiddynut
    replied
    Originally posted by pop_rocks View Post
    mornin fuddy

those roots look great!

nice work there friend and hopefully they are taking to their new homes
    you will want to up the volume of water the first few times just to make sure you saturate the entire soil mass and i would go wiht just plain water just to get everything nice and settled in

/you will prob see a burst of new growth once they get going and established in their new homes

hopefully we can start thinking about taking cuttings soon!

so how have the dunks worked at controlling your gnat problem?
    /that sucks that you are having the problem again, this is soil you kept in your hot car for all those days?

keep it going man, the plants look good
    Good morning bud.
    I agree the roots are nice and thick, white and healthy looking. I watered them with my usual 3 stage method to get them completely saturated. I gave them 2 cups at a time slowly them repeat with each plant 3 times and got about 1/2 cup runoff for each pot. Just going to give them ph'd water for the next couple weeks. It will take a couple waterings to see how much water it takes to saturate this size pot.

I think I'm seeing new growth already. The tops of 1&2 are starting to stretch up and get their second nodes. If they explode into growth we may think about cuttings next week. It won't be long until it will be time to start thinking about moving them to flower tent soon after that. Last time I only let them get about 16" tall before switching to 12/12 and they still almost maxed out my tent hight. I can't let them veg too much or I'll have to tie them down or something. I think this time I'll take one set of cuttings and hope for the best.

I haven't seen any other gnats since catching the one last week. I treated the soil right away so I'm hoping not to see anymore flyers. The dunks kill the larva so they can't hatch or breed. I think I'll just use the dunks on my soil from now on before I even see evidence of them just as a preventative. I started the seeds in the happy frog that I cooked in my car a couple months ago. I'm not sure where they come from. If they were in the soil I'd think I would have seen them before now. My wife has some house plants and for all I know that's where they could be coming from. As long as the dunks do there job and I keep using them I should be fine.

I think the girls are looking better already and I'm going to keep a close eye on them. I know the older damaged leaves won't fix themselves so I'll be concentrating on new growth. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have fixed any problems and can start having fun with this grow again. I've been way too worried about them lately.

Leave a comment:

• pop_rocks
    replied
    mornin fuddy

those roots look great!

nice work there friend and hopefully they are taking to their new homes
    you will want to up the volume of water the first few times just to make sure you saturate the entire soil mass and i would go wiht just plain water just to get everything nice and settled in

/you will prob see a burst of new growth once they get going and established in their new homes

hopefully we can start thinking about taking cuttings soon!

so how have the dunks worked at controlling your gnat problem?
    /that sucks that you are having the problem again, this is soil you kept in your hot car for all those days?

keep it going man, the plants look good

Leave a comment:

• Fiddynut
    replied
    Originally posted by tleaf jr. View Post
    Roots look good nice and white
    Good morning tleaf.
    I agree that the roots look thick and healthy. I hope they respond well to their new homes. Nothing would make me happier than seeing the girls happy and growing well again.

Leave a comment:

• Fiddynut
    replied
    Originally posted by Tri_Cho_Me View Post
    I think you will be surprised at how well they respond. I have only been doing this a short time, but both times I have re-potted, they responded tremendously.

Keep up the good growing!
    Tri_Cho_Me
    Good morning Tri_Cho_me.
    I'm hoping your right about the bounce back. Last grow I remember getting great results after repotting. I just have to be patient now and watch them.

Leave a comment:

• tleaf jr.
    replied
    Roots look good nice and white

Leave a comment:

• Tri_Cho_Me
    replied
    Originally posted by Fiddynut View Post
    So I had this update done yesterday morning and was previewing it when my iPad battery ran out before I could hit submit. I type very slow so these take me some time. I didn't have time to rewrite it until now because I had to go outside to play.

I transplanted Saturday night into 10" pots. The girls were nice and dry and the time was right. I am also using a new soil blend with more nutes in it. To fight the gnats I used mosquito dunks in the soil and sprinkled on top and watered in. I took pics of the roots and noted that the pots were uniformly dry.

For the soil I got a bag of FFOF and mixed it 2 parts ocean forest with 1 part happy frog. Then I added an additional 10% vermiculite. I also sprinkled in some crushed up mosquito dunk for my gnat buddies. After mixing the soil seemed nice and light. I don't think drainage will be an issue.

The girls were nice and dry so I took a butter knife and gently went around the edges of the pot to loosen the rootball. They came out easily and the transplant went well. I gave them each about 6 cups of bottled water pH'd to 6.8. They were pretty droopy right after transplant but were looking much better by the following morning.

I haven't read much about root bound plants but did do a couple hours of reading after looking at the roots on my plants. I'm no expert but I think I had a lot of root mass getting in the air gap between my soil and the edges of my pots. I have a feeling that the roots were drying out before my soil was and that was why the girls were looking thirsty before the soil was dry. Passably also part of the reason for slowed growth the last week or so. I'm hoping that the fresh soil and larger environment will have these girls looking pretty and growing like crazy again soon.

Here are the roots plant by plant. Starting with plant #1 the roots are really circling the bottom of the pot. I didn't get a good side shot of these but here is what the bottom looked like.
    View Image

Here is what #2 looks like. I got a better side shot of this one.
    View Image

And here is #3. It's a week or so younger than the other 2 and already has roots circling around the bottom.
    View Image

I'm not sure how rootbound these girls are but looking at some pictures I'd say they were ready for transplant. I was hoping to only transplant once from the 6" pots I started them in to the 14" ones I'd be finishing them in. I hadn't thought out a good potting strategy and will be doing things differently on my next grow. I will probably start in 4" pots then up to 8" and finish in the 14".

I'll be keeping a close eye on them in the next few days and I am hoping to see good things. This grow has already been more challenging than my first one. In the last 10 days I've seen signs of deficiencies, found fungus gnats, and have had slow growth and droopy plants. I hope I'm learning some things from this. I've done all I know to correct the issues that I'm seeing up to this point. Now I just have to chill and see how these girls react.

Here is a group shot in their new homes.
    View Image
    I think you will be surprised at how well they respond. I have only been doing this a short time, but both times I have re-potted, they responded tremendously.

Keep up the good growing!
    Tri_Cho_Me

Leave a comment:

• Fiddynut
    replied
    Update and pics

So I had this update done yesterday morning and was previewing it when my iPad battery ran out before I could hit submit. I type very slow so these take me some time. I didn't have time to rewrite it until now because I had to go outside to play.

I transplanted Saturday night into 10" pots. The girls were nice and dry and the time was right. I am also using a new soil blend with more nutes in it. To fight the gnats I used mosquito dunks in the soil and sprinkled on top and watered in. I took pics of the roots and noted that the pots were uniformly dry.

For the soil I got a bag of FFOF and mixed it 2 parts ocean forest with 1 part happy frog. Then I added an additional 10% vermiculite. I also sprinkled in some crushed up mosquito dunk for my gnat buddies. After mixing the soil seemed nice and light. I don't think drainage will be an issue.

The girls were nice and dry so I took a butter knife and gently went around the edges of the pot to loosen the rootball. They came out easily and the transplant went well. I gave them each about 6 cups of bottled water pH'd to 6.8. They were pretty droopy right after transplant but were looking much better by the following morning.

I haven't read much about root bound plants but did do a couple hours of reading after looking at the roots on my plants. I'm no expert but I think I had a lot of root mass getting in the air gap between my soil and the edges of my pots. I have a feeling that the roots were drying out before my soil was and that was why the girls were looking thirsty before the soil was dry. Passably also part of the reason for slowed growth the last week or so. I'm hoping that the fresh soil and larger environment will have these girls looking pretty and growing like crazy again soon.

Here are the roots plant by plant. Starting with plant #1 the roots are really circling the bottom of the pot. I didn't get a good side shot of these but here is what the bottom looked like.

Here is what #2 looks like. I got a better side shot of this one.

And here is #3. It's a week or so younger than the other 2 and already has roots circling around the bottom.

I'm not sure how rootbound these girls are but looking at some pictures I'd say they were ready for transplant. I was hoping to only transplant once from the 6" pots I started them in to the 14" ones I'd be finishing them in. I hadn't thought out a good potting strategy and will be doing things differently on my next grow. I will probably start in 4" pots then up to 8" and finish in the 14".

I'll be keeping a close eye on them in the next few days and I am hoping to see good things. This grow has already been more challenging than my first one. In the last 10 days I've seen signs of deficiencies, found fungus gnats, and have had slow growth and droopy plants. I hope I'm learning some things from this. I've done all I know to correct the issues that I'm seeing up to this point. Now I just have to chill and see how these girls react.

Here is a group shot in their new homes.

Leave a comment:

• Fiddynut
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodehazrd View Post
    Hi Fiddy
    I received a pack of Larry og with my last purchase from CC, I'm planning try them next so will be lurking and learning on this thread.I ran HSO OG outdoors and liked it but it was a wet year and had mold on the thick buds. So I'm looking forward to trying some OG indoors with more control
    I ran the ocean forest last year and also had a lot of gnats I think they are already in the OF. I used gnat nix and had no other trouble.
    After harvest a dry pot will let you pour it off the top and reuse it.
    I also had spots like you describe but I think it was over feeding.
    My current grow is a mix of 818 headband emdog, mango tango and original amnesia. Just started some bangi haze and desert diesel.
    Good morning Rodehazrd.
    Thanks for checking out my grow.
    I'm looking forward to growing these out and learning as I go. I hope I can give them what they need and allow them to flourish. The first 3 weeks from seed they were happy but have been up and down the last 10 days or so. I'm hoping that the recent transplant will get them happy again. This is my second grow so I'm going to be making mistakes and have made several already.

I had gnats on my first grow and didn't do much to treat them. I've herd good things about the BT in mosquito dunks but I haven't herd of gnat nix before. I just checked it out and sounds like a good solution. I've read about using sand as a top dressing but the gnat nix sounds like it would be even better. Nice that you can reuse it as well.

Sounds like you have some great strains in your garden. I need to get some grows under my belt and get my thumbs to green up and hopefully I'll be able to have a good list of completed grows.

Leave a comment:

• Fiddynut
    replied
    Originally posted by GastroGrower View Post
    Yeah, I would say those plants are ready to transplant to a larger container. Once they settle in, you can start with extended dry periods to deal with any fungus gnats.
    Good morning GG.
    I think 4 weeks from seed was too long for those little pots. I hadn't thought out that part of my plan very well. Another lesson learned. I did a transplant a couple days ago. I'll be putting up an update this morning.

My friends the fungus gnats are back but I'm ready this time with the mosquito dunks. You are right that I'll be able to let the top dry more in bigger pots and that should help too. This grow has already been more challenging than my first.

Leave a comment:

• Rodehazrd
    replied
    Hi Fiddy
    I received a pack of Larry og with my last purchase from CC, I'm planning try them next so will be lurking and learning on this thread.I ran HSO OG outdoors and liked it but it was a wet year and had mold on the thick buds. So I'm looking forward to trying some OG indoors with more control
    I ran the ocean forest last year and also had a lot of gnats I think they are already in the OF. I used gnat nix and had no other trouble.
    After harvest a dry pot will let you pour it off the top and reuse it.
    I also had spots like you describe but I think it was over feeding.
    My current grow is a mix of 818 headband emdog, mango tango and original amnesia. Just started some bangi haze and desert diesel.

Leave a comment:

• GastroGrower
    replied
    Yeah, I would say those plants are ready to transplant to a larger container. Once they settle in, you can start with extended dry periods to deal with any fungus gnats.

Leave a comment:

• Fiddynut
    replied
    Quick update

Took a quick look at the plants this morning and a couple pics. I think they are looking better than they have in the last week or so. I was com pairing yesterday's picture and this mornings and things seem to be headed in the right direction. Growth is still slow but the 1&2 plants that were topped are starting to get new growth again.

The discovery of fungus gnats has me thinking that a lot of the problems in the last week are due to root damage from the larva eating the roots. I've spent hours reading threads and articles about the damage these fuckers cause. It seems that the younger the plants the more damage they do. Last time I had them much later in the grow so it make sense that the damage was less but maybe the premature yellowing of leaves was due to that in part. I've herd that the mosquito dunks work quickly to kill the larva. If the gnats are the problem I think the plant health will continue to improve as the larva dies off. I'm very excited to see how thing go in the next week or so.

Here is a group pic of them this morning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X