Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pop_rocks View Post
    how much longer are you thinking about letting them veg for?
    how many weeks has it been so far and about how long since you moved them to their new home?

i think you want to give them an additional two weeks in their final container before you change the cycles, so depending on what you had in mind, maybe start thinking about that

last time i think you did minimal training
    by bending the plant we can shorten the canopy by a few inches but it is smart of you to factor in the stretch and err on the side of caution

so the past week has been HOT!
    like 90' hot here on the coast!
    the humidity has been in the 30-40
    it jsut dosent feel like fall right now and we are almost to thanksgiving!
    do you have big plans for thanksgiving, fiddy?
    /this is actually one of my favorite holidays, and has been since i was a kid
    i have this buddy who deep fries his turkey and he lets me drop on off the night before
    mrs chicky and i will usually go for a bike ride in the morning and stop by his pad on the way home to pick up the bird

im super stoked and can not wait!
    I'm thinking only a couple more weeks veg max. I wish I had time to let the cuttings root but I want to keep things moving. I have bagseed to practice with if I need to. I have a couple mor runs of seeds on hand and will be getting more so it's not critical that these first try clones work out.

The girls are 5 weeks or so old and have been in the new pots for 7 days. I want to transplant into final pots as close to flip as possible. A full two weeks may not be possible but the way they took to the last transplant I don't think they will mind a shorter time from transplant to flip.

I do want to error on the side of caution for the stretch. My tent is about 7 feet but the hood is 10" plus hangers and I need to keep them around 16" above the canopy. When you add the pot hight to that it dosent leave a lot of space in between for the plant.

Weather has been unseasonably nice around here as well this week. Temps around 60 and nice and sunny. I think we got our first "freeze" last night. Looks like it's going to be nice next week as well. It feels like fall but not like winter yet. I enjoy thanksgiving and will spend it hanging out with family. I'm not the biggest Turkey fan but I do eat it on thanksgiving. I like a deep fried or a grilled turkey too. It's a nice day to pig out on food and watch football.
    Fiddynut's indoor jungle https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....58#post7781958
    Fiddynut tries some autos https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=336087
    Completed grow Larry OG https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=333512
    Completed grow Blackwater https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=330253

Comment

ok lets start thinking about taking those cuts
      you def want to give them some time to recover after taking the clones
      this lets the plant recover from the shock and the hormones to redistribute
      plus i think if you top too close to flip it might decrease yield, but that is just me thinking

so we have roughly four feet of space to flower in with all the other gear
      in the first few weeks of flower we can lay a heavy bend in the tallest branches and lay them sideways
      this will creats a little more headroom and a line of even sized buds
      you can use a screen like the other guys or i can show you how to do it with twist ties like you get on produce or you can get a large spool pretty cheap (might eb a good idea if you want, it always helps having some twisty wire on hand)

yeah, i dont eat turkey any other time of year besides thanksgiving
      thruth is im more about the sides tha the bird itself!
      loves me some good stuffing and mashed potatoes
      plus i like to boil down all the bones and stuff and make stock or something
      this year im going to make a white bean soup

i think the temp is getting back to normal and it was not that bad on this mornings ride
      im ready to throw up my feet tho and watch some football

Comment

yeah white bean soup.
        I am very interested to see how the Larry Clones Pop . Do you Honor the moon when cutting and sprouting?
        Kindness is Not Canceled

Comment

ok lets start thinking about taking those cuts
          you def want to give them some time to recover after taking the clones
          this lets the plant recover from the shock and the hormones to redistribute
          plus i think if you top too close to flip it might decrease yield, but that is just me thinking

so we have roughly four feet of space to flower in with all the other gear
          in the first few weeks of flower we can lay a heavy bend in the tallest branches and lay them sideways
          this will creats a little more headroom and a line of even sized buds
          you can use a screen like the other guys or i can show you how to do it with twist ties like you get on produce or you can get a large spool pretty cheap (might eb a good idea if you want, it always helps having some twisty wire on hand)

yeah, i dont eat turkey any other time of year besides thanksgiving
          thruth is im more about the sides tha the bird itself!
          loves me some good stuffing and mashed potatoes
          plus i like to boil down all the bones and stuff and make stock or something
          this year im going to make a white bean soup

i think the temp is getting back to normal and it was not that bad on this mornings ride
          im ready to throw up my feet tho and watch some football
          Good afternoon pop_rocks.
          The girls looked good so I went ahead and took the cuts this morning. Fingers crossed that the cuttings root and the girls don't get too stressed. I'll do an update about what I did and how it went later today.

I think I could get about 4' space but I'd have to zip tie my light to the top of my tent and get rid of the ratchet straps that its on. I'd like to shoot for a 42" max hight. I should have some pretty tall side branches since the (second for 1&2 and first for 3) topping. Should I be tying the side branches down and toward the outside yet or should I wait and see how quick the tops start catching back up? I'm too chicken to use a screen and want to be able to pull plants out to water and inspect. I think the 1&2 plants are going to be really bushy and the 3 not as much. It will be interesting to see how differently they grow out. I'll pick up some twist ties soon so I have them on hand.

I'm with you on the thanksgiving sides being better than the turkey. I could live on bread, stuffing, mashed and gravy. Puts me on the couch for a nap every time. White bean soup sounds good.
          Glad it's cooling back off for you and I hope you had a good ride. I hope football was good to you. I can barely stand to watch what has become of my packers. We are spoiled fans and I think there is a whole generation of people who don't know what it's like when your team isn't winning the devision almost every year. Nothing lasts forever and I remember how they struggled in the 1980's and early 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodehazrd View Post
            yeah white bean soup.
            I am very interested to see how the Larry Clones Pop . Do you Honor the moon when cutting and sprouting?
            Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
            I'm interested to see how they do as well. This is my first try so we'll see. I'll be updating this thread with a post about taking the cuttings today and I'll keep up the progress reports.

I haven't planted according to moon cycles as of yet. I didn't really even know that that stuff pertained to indoor gardens until I read your post a few days ago. I am thinking of using that in the future though. After reading a couple articles about it I'm interested. I have to read more about it so that I can get a better idea of how it all works.

I just looked up today on a moon gardening calendar and it looks like I picked a bad day to take cuttings. It says today is a great day to harvest because of full moon but it's a bad day to prune or transplant. If I'm understanding this right I'd have to wait until after the new moon until the moon starts getting bigger again to get the benefits. Maybe better planing next time but I had to get them done this morning. At least im learning something.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiddynut View Post
              Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
              I'm interested to see how they do as well. This is my first try so we'll see. I'll be updating this thread with a post about taking the cuttings today and I'll keep up the progress reports.

I haven't planted according to moon cycles as of yet. I didn't really even know that that stuff pertained to indoor gardens until I read your post a few days ago. I am thinking of using that in the future though. After reading a couple articles about it I'm interested. I have to read more about it so that I can get a better idea of how it all works.

I just looked up today on a moon gardening calendar and it looks like I picked a bad day to take cuttings. It says today is a great day to harvest because of full moon but it's a bad day to prune or transplant. If I'm understanding this right I'd have to wait until after the new moon until the moon starts getting bigger again to get the benefits. Maybe better planing next time but I had to get them done this morning. At least im learning something.
              Well ,
              Like granddaddy said " best sign you got all your stuff together".
              And a diminished moon is good for roots. So there's that going for you.
              Kindness is Not Canceled

Comment

Well ,
                Like granddaddy said " best sign you got all your stuff together".
                And a diminished moon is good for roots. So there's that going for you.
                Thanks Rodehazrd.
                Roots is what I want. Maybe a good day to take cuttings after all.

Comment

Update

The girls were thirsty last night after 3 days since last watering. I gave them 7 cups of water at ph6.8. They were looking happy and have been filling out lately. New growth has been looking nice and green and they have been growing about 1/2 inch a day all last week. I want to get them flipped as soon as possible so I decided to take the cuttings today. I was temped to chicken out and not take cuts after seeing how they reacted to topping last time. I was really thinking of just veging them for another week and then putting them in the flower tent. I decided to man up and just do it. I want to learn to clone but don't want to kill my plants accidentally and possibly miss a harvest. So my fingers are crossed that the girls are not going to freak out on me.

The topping went smoothly. I had set out everything I needed. I had a shot glass with water to put the cut into right after taking it off the plant. Sterilized razor and cutting board to cut the nodes and diagonal cut. Another shot glass full of rooting gel to leave the cut in for a couple min. I'm using a few toothpicks to prop up the rapid rooters. Everything went easy and smoothly. For something that I was a little intimidated to try it went really well.

One thing that seemed odd was one of the tops on plant 2 has unevenly spaced nodes. I don't see that anywhere else on any of my plants. I remember reeding something a few months ago that said plants from seed tend to have even node spacing and clones have uneven spacing. Just something that I remember reeding that stuck out.
                  Here is a pic of that cut.

So I'll be keeping a close eye on the girls for signs of stress and an eye on the humidity dome to make sure it stays moist in there. I'll have to make sure I check on them at least a couple times a day. I took the cutting a couple hours before lights out and the lights will be coming back on in a couple hours so it will be interesting to get a look at them then.
                  Here is a pic of everyone in their homes.

Comment

way to go!
                    i know it was tough at the time, but you did the home work and set yourself up to do it right
                    im glad you made that first cut!
                    as long as there is a node between your fingers, that is just about the same sized cutting i would have taken too!
                    so far everything is looking great,man!
                    how many cuts did you take total?
                    pnly from #1-2?
                    i dont know if i mentioned getting the holder trays for the cubes, but i like your tooth pick idea!
                    only thing is,you might have to get them into their baby homes a few days sooner as the roots will naturally air prune themselves whereas in the container they would grow down into the bottom following the water

yeah, you packer fans have had it good for a long time
                    i imagine that a whole generation of fans does not know what it means to not win
                    at least my chargers keep it interesting by finding new ways to give up games
                    and now i dont even think they will be in san diego next season...
                    ill always be a chargers fan but if they leave san diego i may be looking for a new team

i dont really know much about moon cycles and gardening
                    i always assumed it was because the added illumination helping wiht the harvest/planting?
                    /i also know we are having the biggest full moon of the year and im going for a night bike ride tomorrow! love riding at night!

maybe you can you share some of what you know about the subject
                    liek fiddy' said, we are all about learning here!

Comment

I think you will have good results on clones. I think the health of the mother is the biggie in being successful. And some strains just don't cut well .
                      Only real clone failure I had was on some sick way overfed cuts I tried to take for a neighbor. He had gotten guano and been too happy with it. I read about spraying the mother every day to leach out nitrogen. That guy also used honey as a rooting gel.
                      Being a beekeeper that calls to me.
                      On new strains I get the razor and make clean cuts. On my 818 it's so easy growing I just trim with my fiskars dip and go. Sometimes one fails but not many
                      Kindness is Not Canceled

Comment

way to go!
                        i know it was tough at the time, but you did the home work and set yourself up to do it right
                        im glad you made that first cut!
                        as long as there is a node between your fingers, that is just about the same sized cutting i would have taken too!
                        so far everything is looking great,man!
                        how many cuts did you take total?
                        pnly from #1-2?
                        i dont know if i mentioned getting the holder trays for the cubes, but i like your tooth pick idea!
                        only thing is,you might have to get them into their baby homes a few days sooner as the roots will naturally air prune themselves whereas in the container they would grow down into the bottom following the water

yeah, you packer fans have had it good for a long time
                        i imagine that a whole generation of fans does not know what it means to not win
                        at least my chargers keep it interesting by finding new ways to give up games
                        and now i dont even think they will be in san diego next season...
                        ill always be a chargers fan but if they leave san diego i may be looking for a new team

i dont really know much about moon cycles and gardening
                        i always assumed it was because the added illumination helping wiht the harvest/planting?
                        /i also know we are having the biggest full moon of the year and im going for a night bike ride tomorrow! love riding at night!

maybe you can you share some of what you know about the subject
                        liek fiddy' said, we are all about learning here!
                        Good morning pop_rocks.
                        Yep I don't know why I was so intimidated, it was an easy process. I think I was more worried about how the girls would react. If I accidentally kill them I'm going to be out of buds before I can get another harvest if I have to start over. Just me being paranoid. They still look happy as of this morning which is 24 hours post cutting. I think the fact that they were so much happier yesterday when I took the cuts than when I topped last time is big.

I took a total of 5 cuttings. One from the #3 plant that hadn't been topped because I was letting it catch up to the others that are a week older. I took both tops from the 1&2 plants so I have two of each plant and twice the chance of success. The cuts may be on the slightly smaller side from what I've seen but they are tops and were growing vigorously before being cut. Many of the YouTube vids of cloning that I watched were showing how to take cuttings from more mature plants and they were taking longer cuttings but the stems were skinnier than the ones I took. Time will tell how well they do.

I neglected to plant on holders for the rooter plugs. I'll pick up some trays on the next trip to the hydro store. The tooth pics were just a thought I had to keep them mostly upright. I could put them each in a small cup or something but for now I was thinking it would be better if they got as much air as possible. Once I start to vent the dome I'm probably going to want them to retain more water and maybe just put them in foam coffee cups with perlite or something.

Yep us packer fans have been spoiled for a long time. You can bet nobody under 25 or 30 years old remembers when the team was a joke in the 1980's. I predict that the packers have some tough years ahead and the fans will have to learn to deal with disappointment. 25 years of HoF quarterbacks and only 2 rings pisses me off. That's crazy that the chargers might move and that St. Louis and Oakland too. The chargers have that great running back that they drafted from Wisconsin. He was fun to watch in collage. I hope they stay in SD.

Comment

I think you will have good results on clones. I think the health of the mother is the biggie in being successful. And some strains just don't cut well .
                          Only real clone failure I had was on some sick way overfed cuts I tried to take for a neighbor. He had gotten guano and been too happy with it. I read about spraying the mother every day to leach out nitrogen. That guy also used honey as a rooting gel.
                          Being a beekeeper that calls to me.
                          On new strains I get the razor and make clean cuts. On my 818 it's so easy growing I just trim with my fiskars dip and go. Sometimes one fails but not many
                          Good morning Rodehazrd.
                          I hope you are right that these baby's will root. The moms were real happy and are still looking good both right after and 24 hours after taking cuts. So far the Larry's have taken my abuse with mostly a smile on their faces.

I've herd that too much nitrogen keeps the cuttings from rooting and that is one of the reason that I haven't really been feeding these girls yet. I've also herd that honey is a natural rooting stimulant. I think I read that some people use aspirin as well.

That's cool you keep bees. How are your colonies doing? I've herd a lot about all the problems with the bees dieting off in the last few years. We need them to do all the work of pollination and stuff. I stopped using any kind of pesticide on my grass because it might be bad for the bees. I bet having that nice fresh honey is a great reward.

Comment

i like your idea of putting the rr's into a small cup
                            fill it with coco coir or perlite
                            you can wait a little, but if you start seeing white roots against the edge of the rr cube you need to get them moved
                            /with these babies, its all about the root and we dont want any airpruning

cloning is one of those things that seems harder than it looks
                            if you have the right tools and a little knowledge the rest is the plant
                            as far as the vents on the dome go, i dont really use them
                            once they are at a point where i would open the vent, im ready to start hardening them off so i jsut take the cover off all together
                            /please consider that i live in a place where 60%rh is kind of the norm
                            //in a drier climate like where you are at you may want to keep a closer eye on them, esp this first time around until you get a feel for your cloning enviroment

@rhodehaz': that is intersting that you know someone who uses honey a a rooting jell!
                            honey has a natural antiseptic property and as long as the rest of the enviroment is right a clone want to root

Comment

Pop I just read about th honey. Jelly is so cheap for such a small grow like mine but it could happen a few month ago I had to dig out an old bag of rootone.
                              As far as the moon signs go I do see anecdotal evidence of planting by the phases but the signs I would not say that. I did start my last seeds in Libra one day before new moon as Dubi for ace seeds does. But how would I know if it were better? Compared to what as they say. But Dubi has grown out thousands and if he says it I'll honor it if I can
                              Kindness is Not Canceled

Comment

i like your idea of putting the rr's into a small cup
                                fill it with coco coir or perlite
                                you can wait a little, but if you start seeing white roots against the edge of the rr cube you need to get them moved
                                /with these babies, its all about the root and we dont want any airpruning

cloning is one of those things that seems harder than it looks
                                if you have the right tools and a little knowledge the rest is the plant
                                as far as the vents on the dome go, i dont really use them
                                once they are at a point where i would open the vent, im ready to start hardening them off so i jsut take the cover off all together
                                /please consider that i live in a place where 60%rh is kind of the norm
                                //in a drier climate like where you are at you may want to keep a closer eye on them, esp this first time around until you get a feel for your cloning enviroment

@rhodehaz': that is intersting that you know someone who uses honey a a rooting jell!
                                honey has a natural antiseptic property and as long as the rest of the enviroment is right a clone want to root
                                Good morning pop_rocks.
                                I'll keep a close eye out for roots and use foam cups with vermiculite if I see any if I don't get to the hydro store and get trays. So far they look just like they did 2 days ago when I put them in. I noticed that the dome is staying humid. I'll give them a little mist when the dome dries. If they still look good in a few days I'll start pulling the dome off for an hour or two and see how they react. If they seem ok I'll start leaving it off for longer or all together. I've got my dehuey off and have been able to get humidity up to about 60% or so in the tent. The cold and dry air is going to start moving in in a few days so we will see how the humidity is once it cools off. I suspect it will get hard to keep humidity above 50% soon. Maybe I'll start looking into humidifiers.

Comment

Working...
                                X