What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Seeds, New Strains. High and Hazy in the Low Desert. Come on Son, grow some weed.

paper thorn

Veteran
This thread is starting off where my last thread left off. With disaster.:biggrin::comfort:

I'll never try to run buckets in the summer again. 120 degrees and the AC just shut off right after I did a rez and bucket change, so the water was already warm to start with, the AC should have cooled it down.

I lost almost everything. All the plants in dwc died, all my clones died, whole cloner full. All my vegging plants died, except for 3.

Bubba Kush, a mystery, maybe Tahoe?, and a White Widow. The WW died a few days later.

The 2 survivors have been recovering and I have rooted and planted clones going strong.

It's really not so bad, I mean if the only strain I had was Bubba, I'd be happy, OH YEAH Bearfoot Love. Insert dancing bears here.

here's a couple pics of the last run
Could have been decent, but then look at those shitty roots.

Last edited:

paper thorn

Veteran
I've got rocks in my head these days. Set up the water saw and am putting together a lapidary shop out back. I'm going to make the most bitchin rock pipes. Amazing how cool rocks look once you cut them. I have enough great stones to make a few hundred pipes, but cutting them is one thing, gotta drill holes, and polish, and that takes diamond wheels for my bench grinder and a new drill press and diamond hole saws, etc.

So excuse me when I put up pics of rocks. and you guys who know me, know that I can't do a thread without posting pics of my dogs and cats. But not dinner, nope, keeping it clean.

These got planted but all died.

This is a big piece of very gemmy microcrystalline quartz, chalcedony, agate. After I know what I'm doing, I'll get the nerve to cut this beauty.

Had a great run on this little table, but... Thrips showed up and forced an early chop.

paper thorn

Veteran
more later

more later

It takes some work to do a good thread, and I went through my pic folder and just to go through and pick out a few and rename them took over 2 hours. I ended up with 100 pictures!

I use a chromebook and it sucks for doing anything but web surfing. erasing exif data takes time to find out how and longer to do it, then get pixlr to be able to resize so I'm not sending big ass files...

I've only done the pics I've already posted, so in a few days I'll try to get some more done. It'll take a few posts to get my grow up to date, but here is the picless version of what's going on in paper thorn's grow.

I retreated into the house with my dying plants and set up in the closet in my bathroom. Put my 205 watt LED in there.

Planted 40 Mofo crosses, planted 4 C99 f2s, 4 Sour Diesel crosses, some Chem 4 crosses, and some old stuff I've had for years and a couple fem Cheese seeds.

All the seeds that sprouted have been vegged and cloned. The last of those clones are still in the cloner. I just planted 2 SD clones, almost 30 mofo clones, on and on.

Just a few more and I'll flip everything and get this mom hunt on the road.

I failed to meet my goals that I put in the first post of my last thread.

So more goals, and a new set up, and new strains, soon as the mom hunt is done, i hope.

Oh, and then I get a bunch of old seeds out yesterday and scuffed them up good and got them babies germing. I hope they all pop, put in about 40 or 50, I must be a glutton for punishment. It gets really crazy when you have lots of seedlings going.

Why can't I just grow them out? Why do I have to clone and search and test? Why? Because I just know there is a keeper in them beans! I just know it!

I'll talk about the goal and the hopes and dreams of being prepared for legalization when it passes this November here in AZ.

Nice piece of Breccia

I think this one is going to be beyond anything I can picture once it's cut. My knack is spotting the potential of the rocks I see in the rough.

Lots of rockhounding trips getting planned here, but I have to come out of retirement and get back to work.

impossible to have too many rocks.:biggrin:

paper thorn

Veteran
the table did great last run. been a couple months, but it'll look like this again soon

ECSD in the back

big killer queen

nice diesel bud

paper thorn

Veteran
Ever the glutton for punishment, I set the buckets up again and when they were about a foot and a half tall and I had just flipped them, the AC went off on a 120 degree day and that was it. dead buckets again.

so I cried, felt sorry for myself, was really pissed.
then I saw this, rare for me to catch this cactus in bloom. they only last part of the day. made me smile.

The whole grow was wiped out, i was at the chop, so the thrip plague that came with the heat wasn't the end of my crop, but was the end for most of the veg room.
here's some Bubba getting trimmed.

paper thorn

Veteran
had this nice bud pic of some Bubba

caught this cactus with multiple blooms yeehaw! and right about chest level momma dove has a nest. you can see her right above the top flowers on the cactus pic.

paper thorn

Veteran
This pic should have been in the last post, but it doesn't really matter. this was a week or two before chop. last good pic, because the thrips started knocking them out one by one.

Got this big dog.

He's old, and a while back his back toenails split and he started chewing them off. He'll chew his toenails off and the end of his toes. hell he'll lick the skin right off.

So I keep them wrapped most of the time, so he can't chew them. Here he is, a few weeks ago when he could still get up on the bed.

He's so skinny. he throws up all the time, so he slowly becoming malnourished.

He's had a rough night, and is whimpering a lot right now, hopefully he'll eat soon and be able to hold it down today.

I'm just hoping to get his toenails healed before he dies. they were, but I left him unsocked for too long a few days ago and he he chewed one of his toenails half off. we were past any possibility of infection and now I'm really scared that it is getting infected. that would be the worst thing...

OK, on the lighter side, or heavy lol, is Halle Barry, my cat. She's wonderful. Real sweetheart.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I like your style. Have you ever considered using an old window banger ac, converted to chill your water? If that seems interesting to you, google it, lot's of step-by-step directions. I think there might even be a thread here about it.

paper thorn

Veteran
What's up Double Triple you know, that's probably a great idea. I have a little 5000 btu window unit on a shelf up in a shed, I should pull it down and see if I can diy a chiller.

In the mean time, I'm on track to get my game back. Clones are rooting on schedule. I've taken all that weren't big enough and retaken the few that mushed out of this big seed run I'm doing.

I said earlier that I had 40 mofo crosses, I really have 33.

So here's a list of what going off the top of my head:

33 mofo x white russian blueberry

4 Sour Diesel x can't remember:biggrin:, i'll go out to the room later and check

1 Chem4 x something:laughing:

1 blueberry x grapefruit

4 C99 f2s

1 Burmese Kush

2 fem Cheese

They've all been cloned, the last few are rooting now.

-----------------------

I'm finishing up a divider wall for the veg, and as soon as i do that tomorrow, I'll be moving all the clones into the veg room. I'll segregate them by strain and put them in order so I can make sure there is nothing that I missed that i still need to clone.

Might keep the Burmese Kush clone in veg, because the mom of it still has not even attempted to grow branches after I took the clone.

Then just a little rearranging in the Bloom room, and I'll be flipping all these plants.

I set up one 600 watt hps today, yanked that fucking LED out of there. Maybe I'll put it over something flowering, since I'm going to be going vertical again.

Hmmm??, should I talk about my flowering plan?

idk, don't want to jinx it.

OK. I have 3 tables like the one in an above post. My original plan was to have them side by side, with walkways in between, 600s or 1Ks over them. Just don't feel like I did very well doing a couple three vert grows, though I've done well with vert before. So I got to kick this vertical's ass.

So the 3 tables will be set up in a triangle, with 3 600s near the corners. Towards the end of the tables. The tables are 4 1/2' to 5' long. These have plants in pots of coco. Drain to waste. So each table will have 2 600 shining sideways at them.

Not to waste space, a big plant will be in the center of the triangle and will be surrounded by 3 600s. Sometimes in a dwc bucket, sometimes in coco. I'd like to think of it as Heath style in the middle, but have no fantasies of getting Heath yields from it.

I just need to pull 3 elbows+ from it.

That won't happen this coming run, as who knows, maybe i'll have males everywhere and the girls could suck. Seed run risk.

This next part comes from being locked into low plant counts. After these seed runs, I'll be just using my own patient's plant counts. Right now I have a couple friends who are also caregivers who are adding to the plant count so I can do this mom hunt. They'll be doing their own thing soon, and my plant count will drop back to 60.

I'll be staggering the tables to chop 1 table every 20 days.

I will need at least 12 strains. So 12 moms.

I think I need a backup vegging mom of each, so 12 backup moms.

4 on each table flowering. 3 tables. = 12

4 vegging maybe 2 gal pots, next up

4 vegging 1 gal pots

4 clones

that leaves 12 for small seed runs, extra clones, new strains, etc.

I think I have figured out when to take clones, a couple weeks in cups, a while in 1 gallons, then to 2? maybe bigger.

Anyway, those times will be flexible as I learn just how big or how long I have to veg to make plants that will make a QP each. Every time. lol, throw in different strains, you know I'll get so confused.

So I'm coming up with a chart on the wall for each set of 4 plants from clone to chop.

paper thorn

Veteran
Oh, I applied for a post harvest assistant job at a local dispensary.

Did not get the job. They were kind enough to send sorry it wasn't you emails out. So I thought, that's nice, I wonder if they'll answer a question?

I replied with a thanks for letting us know comment and asked what they are looking for in a candidate.

She said she was overwhelmed with folks who simply want to work in this industry. and it was an extensive process to choose one. I had gotten a phone interview with her, but was not called in to interview further.

Here's what she told me in her reply.

"I am overwhelmed by the number of resumes I have gotten from people who just want to work in this industry. What will set you apart is a great cover letter with a focus more on the job you are applying for and why you want the job and to work for us versus simply wanting to work in this industry. Having a good work background is more important than having experience in cannabis. Having general horticulture/plant experience or schooling is also a plus."

paper thorn

Veteran

Put the 2 lone survivors in a closet in the house. put in the old led

well, there were three, but the last white widow died shortly after.

started a bunch of seeds.

paper thorn

Veteran
I have some more pics to upload. then a few new ones on the camera. hopefully I get them done and up this weekend. That will bring the diary up to date. well, it'll probably take me a week or two to get it up to date, but it'll be worth it.

there is a night and day difference in that closet a couple months ago when everything went to crap, and what's in the grow room now.

All the 45 seedlings have been cloned, planted in coco and all the 'moms' flipped 3 days ago. so about two months things will be back on track.

The new idea for layout looks like it is going to work great. got 3 600s fired up.

Already have spotted 4 females. All mofo crosses, (there are 33 of them). Also 4 males, but I'll wait a day or two before I yank them just in case I'm wrong, though I rarely am when it comes to spotting males. One of the mofos was tossing out pistils over a week ago in veg. It is # 9.

Awesome part is the 9 is the fastest vegger, has the best structure, nice short internode distance, and just looks super.

hopefully it's a keeper.

paper thorn

Veteran
I know my friends come over and are thinking, fuck the rocks, show me the weed!

drilling with a shitty drill bit, new ones soon. then i'll be cooking with gas.

i'm making fun of the fluffy cat. But i shouldn't cause i just love my Halle Berry. Named her after the way she walks all cat-like. reminds me of Halle Berry as Catwoman walking into the moonlight at the end of the movie Catwoman.:biggrin:

Littleleaf

Veteran
What size is your diamond saw?

I've modified a tile saw to cut the few stones I found here in SE nm. need to find dove oil for the saw. Makes the blade last longer.

Do you have the grinding and polish wheel set too? Tumblers?

I found a small 6" wheel set in the dump, just need to get a new lapidary table set up. Also need to find a facet wheel too.

Have you found any geodes yet?

I'm a stoner who like to work with stones too.

:puffpuffpass:

paper thorn

Veteran
hey Littleleaf,
It's a 10" blade on my Target tile saw. Don't set tile anymore, but I'm having a lot of fun cutting rocks. I do have to get a new granite blade soon though.
I just use water, as long as i don't try to push the stone through too fast, it's not bad. Well, cutting quartz,(7 on the hardness scale) it's slow going and i have to sharpen the blade while i'm cutting the rock. i use a brick to sharpen.
I have a bench grinder with 6" wheels, I took them off and as soon as i find some grinding and polishing wheels cheap, I'm going to set it up with three wheels on each side.
Should be real nice.
I have some geodes, but am most interested in agate and jasper. I do know where some geodes can be found, but it's out there for me and my car. Need a 4 wheel drive truck.

I am going to make a flat lap, but probably won't do a faceting jig on it.

Hopefully in the next few weeks to months I'll get it going.
new drill bits in the next week or two. yeehaw!

Not sure exactly what this is, I call it desert fire:

paper thorn

Veteran
OLD SEEDS

OLD SEEDS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NEW STRAINS, OLD DOGS
The grow rooms were a disaster most of the summer. I had my 2 plants in the closet, vegging up so I could get some clones. Bubba must be saved.
Since I was starting...

Hold on the big dog is throwing up again...

Aight, cleaned things up and ended up making the guy some mashed potatoes. I already made a batch of chicken and rice for him earlier, but in spite of some peptol bismol, he still can't hold much down for long. I've been told I should have him put down, after all Great Danes die young and he's like 11 or 12, but just yesterday he was trying to chase the cat outside. He ran like 4 or five steps before he felt those 80 dog years. Crazy, because 6 months ago he was running and jumping and keeping up with a fast little puppy like he was in his prime.

I think too many anti-biotics trying to beat the infection in his toes wiped out the bacteria in his intestinal tract and even though he takes probiotics, just can't digest enough food, so some of it just sits in his stomach, blahhgghh. Enough to make you sick just thinking about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

So the shed was a mess, this is after a couple days of shoveling out dead plant matter and emptying pots of coco.

Since the shed was empty and I only had 2 strains, and one is still unknown, I decided it was time to search for those keepers in all those little packets.

I'll try to document this adventure well enough so folks get what it takes, the trials, the frustration. the fun.

I have one table i already made, time to put together the other two.

Last edited:

paper thorn

Veteran
Found this rock down at the VA in Tucson,(i know), and I knew it was special even though it was ugly and varnished (thing called desert varnish, happens to all rocks here). But I could tell...
Bam! cream green that's beautiful, though it does have a dendritic formation in it(the tree like squiggles in it, probably manganese oxide), that might spall out as I polish it. It will be a nice looking pipe though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So from 45 seeds I got 12 plants. So I popped about 45 more Mofo crosses and got 33 plants. I had more but
some damped off when they were babies. Got them all in cups. I started some in the cups and they grow so much better and faster in the cups than they do in the seed starter cells. space may force me to use them sometimes, but cups for seeds from now on.

Potted up all the moms and got them vegging in the shed, nice to have some room. Seed runs can take a lot of space. Soon there'll be clones in cups and moms in 1 gallon grow bags.
I'll take clones from all of the plants from seed, which I'll refer to as the moms from now on, till they're culled and one becomes an actual mom.

paper thorn

Veteran

Potted up most of the moms, a few seedlings not ready. Bubba and ?^^^

John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin, Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age, Dave Grohl from Nirvana and Foo Fighters
Them Crooked Vultures
Fucking good band I like the concert in Germany vid.