What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DNA Lemon Skunk to save the world

CocoTwisty

Um yeah seeing as they look 50% bigger in 3 days I'd say they are loving that light and what you are feeding them.

That's coco/perlite you are using right? What do you pH your Vegamatrix feeds to? Is it different for Veg and Bloom?

Do you have any sort of light meter you could use to roughly test the intensity in the middle vs. at the edges?

I'm just wondering because you have all that space around the scrog frame that still looks like it's pretty well lit. If I had that setup with those growth rates I might try training the longest branches under the frame, and then let them go up to grow along a vertical screen or perhaps angled slightly away from the light like an inverted pyramid so as to not shade what's below but still capture all that light spilling off to the sides. Meanwhile keep topping the middle to get some nice thick stems. Surely if you add some extra air circulation to this larger canopy, the extra surface area would increase yields over a standard scrog, don't you think? Is it something you would ever try?

CocoTwisty

As for the screen material I'm a fan of the vinyl-coated wire screen in either 2" x 3" or 6" x 6" squares you can get at Lowe's/Home Depot/Farm or Feed Stores. It's strong yet easily flexible if you use some wire clippers. You can also roll your own vertical cages with it and it makes U-scrogging or vertical scrogging setups more stable.

As for grow room reflective material I'm a fan of Black & White Poly Film aka Panda film. It has several advantages over mylar, the most important being that it creates diffuse light rather than hot spots. (If you look at the walls in your photo you are seeing just what you plant sees - super dark patches, and then randomly super intense beams. Plants prefer more even light which is why BML/Fluent spreads out all the LEDs on their fixtures evenly instead of having them at a single intense point.) Panda film also doesn't tear easily or stay folded/wrinkled permanently, and is easier to wipe clean. (If you have $ to burn the super version of Panda film is called Orca grow film.)

chomsky

Um yeah seeing as they look 50% bigger in 3 days I'd say they are loving that light and what you are feeding them.

That's coco/perlite you are using right? What do you pH your Vegamatrix feeds to? Is it different for Veg and Bloom?

Do you have any sort of light meter you could use to roughly test the intensity in the middle vs. at the edges?

I'm just wondering because you have all that space around the scrog frame that still looks like it's pretty well lit. If I had that setup with those growth rates I might try training the longest branches under the frame, and then let them go up to grow along a vertical screen or perhaps angled slightly away from the light like an inverted pyramid so as to not shade what's below but still capture all that light spilling off to the sides. Meanwhile keep topping the middle to get some nice thick stems. Surely if you add some extra air circulation to this larger canopy, the extra surface area would increase yields over a standard scrog, don't you think? Is it something you would ever try?

Im ph'ing between 5.8 and 6.3 as best I can now. As for growing, I try to keep it pretty simple. A normal scrog is just fine for me and my space. I just try to maximize what I'm working with as best I can by controlling the environment and dialing in the nutes and feedings...

chomsky

As for the screen material I'm a fan of the vinyl-coated wire screen in either 2" x 3" or 6" x 6" squares you can get at Lowe's/Home Depot/Farm or Feed Stores. It's strong yet easily flexible if you use some wire clippers. You can also roll your own vertical cages with it and it makes U-scrogging or vertical scrogging setups more stable.

As for grow room reflective material I'm a fan of Black & White Poly Film aka Panda film. It has several advantages over mylar, the most important being that it creates diffuse light rather than hot spots. (If you look at the walls in your photo you are seeing just what you plant sees - super dark patches, and then randomly super intense beams. Plants prefer more even light which is why BML/Fluent spreads out all the LEDs on their fixtures evenly instead of having them at a single intense point.) Panda film also doesn't tear easily or stay folded/wrinkled permanently, and is easier to wipe clean. (If you have $ to burn the super version of Panda film is called Orca grow film.)

That Orca grow film looks great. I may look into that in the future...

chomsky

I think I have a long way to go learning to scrog like an expert. I haven't broke any stems yet but my stems are so strong that its very hard to bend them under the net as they grow. Im glad I did that zip tie thing because it really does help. I can actually pull the squares bigger so it in essence trains the branches to grow more vertical than up so when they are actually long enough to go through the next square I can release the tension I put on it and pull it through the next square easier. I think LST'ing plants as you top them before they even come close to the net is a good idea...

chomsky

OK finally time for an update. The girls are healthy. Ive been feeding them once really good in the morning, fully saturated to run off, then a very light feed in the afternoon (just enough to keep the coco wet through the night). I have pretty much cleared all the growth below the net and just topped the main shoots one more time (a total of two tops)... I really have no idea what Im doing with the scrog, just doing the best I can (this is my first scrog)... The SpydrX Plus seems to be wonderful, I can pretty much leave it 6 inches from canopy but it still seems a bit intense so I have it at about 12 inches above. Once I flip to 12/12 Ill keep it 6 inches above, prolly two or three weeks from now.. This is an extra long veg due to scrog and topping. Looks like veg will be bout 5 or 6 weeks total...

Hope ya like

PS it has been 6 days of growth since my last picture post...

CocoTwisty

Looking awesome, that is some explosive growth, like as fast as the outdoor DWC I ran, only you're in coco and fabric pots! Impressive for sure!

You look like you know what you're doing but may I suggest an oscillating fan or a few more clip fans below and above the canopy? I think it would greatly reduce your chances of PM/fungus gnats since that canopy is starting to get dense quickly.

Keep it coming with the updates and thanks again for sharing!

guanito

looking good
yeah maybe a week or two more.
don't forget the stretch when you flip.
you're going to have your hands full then.
you probably need a bigger screen
need a pic from below.
that trellis is store bought? think so.
++

chomsky

looking good
yeah maybe a week or two more.
don't forget the stretch when you flip.
you're going to have your hands full then.
you probably need a bigger screen
need a pic from below.
that trellis is store bought? think so.
++

Hey guys, yes I know what you're sayin but you just can't see the fans in the pic. There is one clip fan blowing underneath two hitting the canopy and one in the ceiling blowing down. I also have 2 carbon scrubbers going. LOTS of air circulation. And the trellis I made myself. More pics to come...

chomsky

Here are some pics below the screen... Im nervous Im removing too much plant however, I have always read to remove everything below screen... I also just but an exhaust fan on a timer to run 5 minutes every hour or so, my room temps and RH are in perfect range but it still feels stuffy in there and the curling leaves indicate heat stress???? Im exhausting from the ceiling to avoid removing too much Co2...

chomsky

What a difference a little good advice makes. A couple flushes and 4 days later... BANG... Thanks Hash Zep you were spot on with diagnosis...

For those of you interested and using Vegamatrix it seems I was overdoing it with the OG Tea and possibly over watering a bit. It says on OG Tea bag use with every feeding "DONT"... I think once a week as it says in Vegamatrix feeding chart is good... Maybe a few light sprinkles throughout the week?

Last edited:

Heathen

Take into account the amount of water evaporating every day as this will push the EC up.. maybe a little water in the spill tray as well as feeding/watering. Hope that helps.. apologies if not... Love the Lemon Skunk.. looking forward to seeing the results!

chomsky

OK Fellas I really need some help. My girls are basically looking great but... I was pre mature in my celebration yesterday. I went to tend to my girls this morning and this is popping up. Its not rampant "YET". I have no idea whats going on and would love to catch this before its a real issue. My best guess is calcium def however, Im using a cal mag nute with my regular nute system (vegamatrix) and even using a bit more Earth Juice Cal mag??? Could it still be cal deficient???? Any ideas?

Last edited:

the Herb

Yes! I was hoping for a big scroge wen I saw your growroom.

But you'v got others things to do I see.
Uhm, how many plants are effected? Is it the old or newer foliage?

Latest posts

Latest posts