What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Room, New Grow Style, New Genetics, New Nutrients a.k.a. Karma OG Test Grow.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i was thinking more along the lines of there being an excess of zinc in the buds themselves,you're right that its unlikely to cause any real problems during growth but the nutes will strip some of the galvanized coating off the outside..probably no worse than using those cheap green bamboo stakes when you get right down to it...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Curious if this is a recycling hydro issue specifically or just in general? I do know many including myself that use them in coco dtw without problem. I did think about the rust factor but just figured I might get some extra iron in the food...
its a hydro issue,adding acidic nutes to water will give the water a mild electrical charge which is only reinforced by moving the solution around so there will be some mild electrolysis going on...whether that will remove or deposit material in this case im not actually sure,but the rest is just chem 101.

it doesnt happen in medium as quickly as it would in a water based solution since the metal would have more of a chance to oxidize before an electrolytic reaction could occur,in water it would be more a matter of the pH since that has to do with the action of stripping charged particles of hydrogen,you know,the whole pH thingy...

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Well I was hoping to keep an "aisle" clear so I could get to the back plants but I guess I could go creep mode...I have a trellis I already built for this room, maybe I'll go flip mode and use it instead. The legs on these cages were already rusted pretty good.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
eh you guys don't have the powder coated cages there?
Lowes or Home Depot or Ace or True Value should have them for sure...
unless they are seasonally available?

different colors - blue, green red, orange, yellow...
i went all blue to coincide with "blue card" status (i have a couple of orange ones, too)

go rasta action with the red, yellow, and green cages!!!!

I have been using mine for a couple years now and no sign of oxidation or wear on the cages. except maybe for the resin thats caked on from all the buds that've been supported

but the "legs" are "clean".

another thing you can try with those galvanized gages, is instead of poke the legs down into the roots, flip that cage over so the top ring is sitting on top of the medium/pot. you can then bend the legs in to kind of provide more support for the top. and to keep you from poking out your eyes.

some food for thought

aloha

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Good to see you around and posting Greyskull. I do actually have some of those cages as well. Only got four though and they are not heavy duty like these 54"s, not as tall either. Maybe I'll see if I can find a few more, spring gardening supplies are being put out on shelves here in MI.

And yeah I've seen folks use the cages upside down before just as support for a top cola. I believe it was one of the Greenhouse dudes, maybe Franco.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Well came up with an easy compromise... The 54"s actually will fit on the outside of the buckets very nicely. They have a firm grip of the bucket if you will.

picture.php

And when compared to the color powdered ones they are much bigger. I will go with this!

picture.php

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there you go

when they get bigger take some bamboo at the tops of the cages and bam!

MIMedHead

I like the way you think I have used mater cages for awhile and never had mine rust. Used them with the 2 gal ebb n gro and also with my dtw coco. How tall you gonna get them before flip. I would do them around 20in but not sure how much those stretch. Ether way I know you got this shit handled. I will be watching.

Ps you gonna be at either expos next two months?

Jibman

Yay for Mato cages! I use them too. Sometimes depending on strain i might add a support stake down the middle of the pot.

Very cool setup. I need to do something besides using a spare bedroom. Maybe build something in the garage.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
there you go

when they get bigger take some bamboo at the tops of the cages and bam!

Easy peasy! Will do the stakes if need be.

I like the way you think I have used mater cages for awhile and never had mine rust. Used them with the 2 gal ebb n gro and also with my dtw coco. How tall you gonna get them before flip. I would do them around 20in but not sure how much those stretch. Ether way I know you got this shit handled. I will be watching.

Ps you gonna be at either expos next two months?

From the seed plants I'd say these def got some stretch to them. Flipped them around 18 inches I'd guess. Probably not going to the expos. Seems like paying to enter a hydro shop is the way I look at them. Money grab by the folks putting them on and nothing else. Of course I realize some people have fun at them, just not my cup o tea. I prefer to work in the shadows still.

Yay for Mato cages! I use them too. Sometimes depending on strain i might add a support stake down the middle of the pot.

Very cool setup. I need to do something besides using a spare bedroom. Maybe build something in the garage.

Thanks Jibman, this little room does come in handy for side projects and such.

Okay, after a little break while the clones vegged for a bit and I vegged for a bit(in Jamaica) I'm back to finish out this thread. I flipped the ladies on the 4th, the day I left and came back to find they are in full on stretch mode. Probably grew a foot while I was gone. Got a couple pics today before my camera battery died. I'll get some pics tonight and will continue to post up new pics every week from here on out.

As of today, day 6 of flower.

picture.php

#1 Karma OG.

picture.php

Sorry for the crappy phone pics, I got the DLSR charging as we speak...:tiphat:

Howdy folks, I'm going to document my grow of Karma OG from Karma Genetics here for all to see, the good the bad and the ugly if it comes to that. I Recently built a new seed room for the purpose of testing new seeds and maybe once a year doing some pollen chucking myself.

This will be the first grow in my new room, KG was kind enough to hook me up with his newest line and I expect nothing but fire coming from these seeds.

Okay so as far as the room goes I got a whole lot of new toys to play with. The room is 5x11(it's what I had to work with)and while I wish it was a bit bigger it will work just fine for my situation. So as far as the toys go...

2 Gavita 1000e fixtures.
1 ton Friedrich mini split AC
10" Phresh filter with 10" Hurricane fan
Autopilot lighting relay box
Autopilot master controller w/fuzzy logic co2 control
20# co2 tank w/Titan co2 reg w/laser drilled tubing
Sentinel MEF-1 ebb n flow 6 bucket system
16" wall fan
Orca reflective film covering the walls.

So I started 15 seeds and after a couple months I had chosen my 6 best females. These were grown in coco in 1 gallon fabric pots and then went into the bucket system surrounded by grow rocks. I decided to go with Floranova and calmag for my nutes based on simplicity and seeing the results Gsizzle gets with the nova.

Okay, hard part out of the way, now I can concentrate on the easy part, dropping pics and answering any questions you may have. Plants were just flipped five days ago and are about 4-5 feet tall, taller than I would have liked but the room took longer than I thought to get ready so it is what it is...

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image
Idiot question à use GHE the 3 part.the fertiliser got same amount in usa and Europe? A mean if yu got stronger one than eu?

MIMedHead

Glad to see you back to finish out this thread. I bet Jamacia was very relaxing. I spent a week in Montego Bay a few yes ago, very very fun time. Got to tour a cannabis farm in the mountains. The smoke isn't very good but the vibe is awesome. We had to try around 8 different kinds before we found anything we remotely liked. If I went back I'm bringing my own lol.

Too bad about the expo I was hoping to put a face to that thirdcoast name, the thc expo is pretty cheap I'm getting a booth in the medicating area, going to try and raise money for joesy lawer fund come and support if you haven't already. If not I understand lots of people like to stay under the reader for good reason.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
these is gonna impress. want a spoiler? im taking your advice in the future and building a dedicated seed room.

heres just some of my

karmas og.

drying now.

Nice! Since I let the last batch go to week six I already know pretty much what I'll be getting. I have 3 typical OG in structure although more fruit on the nose than my BK2's. One I swear is an orange OG, at least through week six. The others were more mango.

I also have 2 that are a bit more loose/airy, not rock hard nug style. Doubt they'll be keepers but you never know, could be huge yielders so I ran them again.

Can't go wrong with a dedicated seed popping room. I may also use it to make a seed crop for myself every once in a great while.

Idiot question à use GHE the 3 part.the fertiliser got same amount in usa and Europe? A mean if yu got stronger one than eu?

Not sure although I should mention I'm not using Floranova on this crop, I switched to Jacks hydro/cal nit.

Glad to see you back to finish out this thread. I bet Jamacia was very relaxing. I spent a week in Montego Bay a few yes ago, very very fun time. Got to tour a cannabis farm in the mountains. The smoke isn't very good but the vibe is awesome. We had to try around 8 different kinds before we found anything we remotely liked. If I went back I'm bringing my own lol.

Too bad about the expo I was hoping to put a face to that thirdcoast name, the thc expo is pretty cheap I'm getting a booth in the medicating area, going to try and raise money for joesy lawer fund come and support if you haven't already. If not I understand lots of people like to stay under the reader for good reason.

Never say never I guess, I could pop in at one of the expo's but just don't know. Good on you for trying to help a brother out. I already broke joesy off some cash but if I end up out there I'll hit you up with a little more.

The herb we got in Jamaica was not bad at all. Not great mind you, but not bad. Was fresh and sticky and smelled great. Been many a year since I smoked on any outdoor. Brought back memories.

Here's a couple shots...

picture.php

picture.php