What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Somango47 12/12 from seed

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
After a little re location break I'm back settled and would like to share with you all this sequence of events.....

Five Somango47 fems from Positronics and a random Amnesia XXL auto from Dinafem ( freebie from a well known seedbank)Apparently this strain does well 12/12 so I thought I'd give it a go cos it happened to fit in with everything else that was going on.
I've done 12/12 from seed before with a Moby Dick from Dinafem and she turned out really well so hoping for the best here too.

Started them in a shot glass of water then into some damp paper towels then into root riot cubes (they all popped) then into 1 liter pots. Lost one of the SM47 in the root riot cubes.

Now they are about 1-2 weeks old depending on when you start counting. :biggrin:
They are in coco coir which is pre flushed and buffered which is like the best hing ever. After using raw coco and chips for so long it's delicious not to have to rinse and buffer it everytime. :moon:

The plan is to top one of them once, one of them a couple of times, LST or supercrop one and leave the last one alone.

The amnesia is just a curiousity for me. I've never grown one before and just wanted to see how big it would get cos of the name so just going to leave that one to do its thang. No expectations although I do really enjoy the body high that a good Amnesia gives out.:huggg:

By the way the top left one in the 1st pic is the Amnesia XXL

Attachments

• ICMAG 002.jpg
    ICMAG 002.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 17
  • ICMAG 003.jpg
    ICMAG 003.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 15
  • misc a-1 001.JPG
    misc a-1 001.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 17
  • misc z 004.jpg
    misc z 004.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Good start!
Could be the camera.....but they look hungry.
It is nothing to worry about though.
Keep the pics coming!

shag

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Well it has been almost a week. They have grown. Mistreated one of them. Dropped it. Snapped all but the first set of leaves off then left it above a radiator to get frazzled!
Amazingly enough it still seems to be alive!
Just for giggles I'll keep it going.

Going to be up potting into 3-4 liter pots in the next day or 2 for the rest. Might try something a little larger for the Amnesia XXL seeing if it lives up to its name.

Amnesia is back right.

Attachments

• SOM 006.JPG
    SOM 006.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 15
  • SOM 009.JPG
    SOM 009.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 26

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
For the potting up I'm thinking coco coir with a layer of hydroton on the bottom to help drainage and prevent 'compacting.'
Once they go into the new pots a thorough dousing with 7/7/7 3 part GenHydro 'flora' range nutes with some 'calmax' thrown in for good measure.
I'm expecting a short veg period before they shoot off to flower so I'm hoping to get some topping in first before they go into their final flower pots which I'm hoping will be 9.5 Liter airpots.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
OK I just had a 'brainwave' and I have to write it down someplace or it will fade with my high.

:biggrin:

I've got this bottle of 'Plant Magic Evolution' which is supposed to increase growth during veg but it can delay flowering. By all accounts it DOES delay flowering.
Now I'm growing 12/12 and I actually WANT to delay flowering these a little cos I want to make em as big as possible, have enough time to top them a few times and re pot them into some 9.5 liter airpots all BEFORE they flower.
I figure I don't have enough time to do all that to my satisfaction. Only just re potted them to 3-4 liter pots yesterday so can't start topping till they root out these new pots a bit more.

If I use this foliar feed it fulfils multiple purposes. Going to clear an area in the tent and try it out soon.

Last edited:

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Good start!
Could be the camera.....but they look hungry.
It is nothing to worry about though.
Keep the pics coming!

shag

Absolutely right. When that pic was taken it was just before the nutes got ramped up to 100% strength so they were a little hungry. Nice spot.
The pics will be coming regularly. Mostly with these diaries I try not to obsess and post too much but sometimes I just give in cos it is so much fun.
Had an accident the other day. One of those 'I knew I shouldn't have done it' moments.
I balanced a pot tray on something precarious with 3 plants on top balanced even more precariously.
Of course they fell down and made a mess. Luckily no plant broke but they were bent a lot.

So all plants were sprayed with Plant Magic 'evolution' yesterday. Their last dose will be next week when the bottle finishes. I must say the bottle is expensive and does not last long. Hope it helps.
Will be topping them in the next few days.

e2a - just topped the 'best' one. Not pictured. The other 2 are still recovering from being dropped and bent.
The auto is going well. Will pic update on that later on this next week.
The last one is basically a seedling again now growing very slowly. will be miles behind the rest now.

Attachments

• somango47 001.jpg
    somango47 001.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 13
  • somango47 004.jpg
    somango47 004.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Photo shot!

Up to 7/7/7/7 on the feed. 3 part GH 'flora' range plus some 'calmax' product.

The topped one is making good progress. Thinking about topping another soon. Time is of the essence. Can't be anymore than 2 weeks of veg time left. Have to use it wisely.

The much taller one back right is the Amnesia XXL auto.
Thinking of keeping it in this pot to stop it getting too big. We'll see. Will have to research it a little. Was a bit of a spur of the moment decision to pop it!

The close up is the topped Somango47

The tiny pot at the front is the somango47 I've tried to kill 2x so far by chopping its head off and burning. Remarkably it is still alive! It is a science project at this stage. Has a tiny, tiny shoot coming out of the stem. The rest is dead.

Attachments

• somango 002.JPG
    somango 002.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 21
  • somango 001.JPG
    somango 001.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 15

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
End of the month up date

End of the month up date

So it has been a month since these babies broke ground.

Have lost the one I was trying to kill. Finally gave up. Should just chuck those plants in those situations. Too much stress could lead to a problem in a bigger tent.
Have upgraded to a 2.4x1.2x2.0 tent packing 2 x 600w, 6 inch exhaust (can fan), 5 inch active Rhino in line fan intake.

It is a whole different ball game growing in a tent this size and there have been teething troubles in a totally new situation it was difficult but the difficulties are clearing away

Have re potted the Amnesia XXL auto into it's final flower pot. A large aquatic basket which is probably about 10 liters.
It really, really wants to flower it seems and could be a lot of fun if it gets big. Have not trained it yet because it is an auto but if it gets massive it could get interesting. :laughing:

Have repotted the best Somango47 into another same sized aquatic basket. Only got the chance to top it once before it matured and stopped with the even nodes. That means topping time is over.
Topped the other 2 smaller ones. They are getting going again after that and will need to repot them later in the week. The PM evolution product I mentioned seems to be holding the flowering off on the Somango's but not on the Amnesia xxl auto.

OK enough with the chat let's get to the pics....

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
oops forgot to add the pics...

Left side is group shot with the Amnesia xxl auto back left.

Center is the Amnesia again and right is one of the somango47's I've not re potted yet.

Attachments

• ICM1 002.jpg
    ICM1 002.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 15
  • ICM1 007.jpg
    ICM1 007.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 15
  • ICM1 003.jpg
    ICM1 003.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 17

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Hi there -

Photo up date. One of the somang47's has gone into flower while the other 2 were delayed by the 'evolution' product. Looks like it will be a staggered harvest in any case.

The auto is as advertised xxl Amnesia from Dinafem. Middle shot. It is already of a good size.

Bumped up the feed to 10/5/15 flora per 10 liters of water plus some 'calmax' product last week.

Got 3/4 of them in aquatic baskets which seem to behave similarly to airpots and the last in a more traditional 'bucket' pot.

Quite a strong sour smell developing from them. One of the poorer smelling runs so far. Distinctive though. I think it might be the AK47 coming through.

Will try and get the somango47 which is in flower to display next time.

peace.

Attachments

• 4 group 010.jpg
    4 group 010.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 4 group 009.jpg
    4 group 009.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 22
  • 4 group 007.jpg
    4 group 007.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Well I wanted to post a pic of the one in flower. It was topped and then it matured so could not top again. It has gone into flower sooner than the others. Probably week 2 flower already.
It is also taller than the others except the Amnesia which is going to be a big girl I think. She has a big Aquatic pot full of coco to spread into and once the stretch finishes It's time to switch to 10/15/5 with some calmax thrown in for good measure.
I'd say topping has produced a better plant. A lot more buds and side branching encouraged. Ideally I'd top a couple more times but I should have used a bit more of the 'evolution' product to keep them out of flower.
Have a feeling I'm going to get loads and loads of buds from these. Even the smell has changed from a sour one to a sweet one as this baby buds.

Attachments

• somango47 005.JPG
    somango47 005.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
So had the 2nd best somango47 out. It is in a bucket with holes in the bottom. Has a layer of hydroton then coco coir all the way. Drinks a lot of water.
Have 2 that are not really properly in flower yet and 2 that are totally in flower, getting frosty and piling on the weight.
Thinking I might split the feeds to better reflect their differing needs. I'll keep on with the more veg heavy nutes on the 2 slower ones and switch to flower heavy nutes on the other somango and amnesia xxl.

Attachments

• somango47 oct 001.JPG
    somango47 oct 001.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 16
  • somango47 oct 004.JPG
    somango47 oct 004.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 12

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Just a quick note to remember that I switched to 10/15/5/10 (calmax) feed yesterday. It just seemed like time cos this somango47 has really developed to the point where more flower nutes are required. The other 2 are behind but not far enough behind to justify keeping them at 10/5/15
The funny thing is I put these in almost as an afterthought cos I was frustrated by some unfortunate events during a previous grow.
These plants have been a joy to grow so far. They have become sneaky good. They are also teaching me that 8 plants in my tent is the perfect number. It is also teaching me that I like and this strain appears to like 12/12 from seed. It is nice to use them for this purpose as that is why I got them. I wanted a 12/12 grow and these seeds seemed ideal.
They are getting a lovely mango smell about them now. Quite strong and nice unlike before which was just strong.

So have illustrated with this somango47 vs the other one taken a day apart.

Attachments

• som1 002.jpg
    som1 002.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Tech stuffs

Tech stuffs

so here is the new set up from above and below. 2 x 600w dual spectrum hps with a 6 inch can fan and 6 inch rhino filter. Have a 5 inch Rhino fan pushing the air in and a couple of oscillating ones too.

The somango47 is being very impressive so far. Lots of growth and bud sites.
The amnesia got tall then started to fatten up. Still quietly doing that. Stopped growing though which is kind of good given it is too big already.

one of the somango47's looks at least 2 weeks ahead of another, maybe even 3 weeks. I have decided a staggered harvest could be the best anyway. too much work all the same time. :biggrin:

Attachments

• tent 005.JPG
    tent 005.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 17
  • tent 001.JPG
    tent 001.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 12

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
This grow has so far gone so smooth that there has been very little to report.
The amnesia has been on 'ripen' for a little while now. It is drinking much less now. It is on about day 67 by my reckoning. Going to carry on like this with the ripen for about 10 days then a one week flush then chop.

The 3 somango47 are all in different stages of flower. One of them has the pistols beginning to go orange. Drinking a bit less. Having to hold up its colas using them yo yo string thingies.
The other 2 are still packing on the buds and drinking a LOT of water. Bout 4-5 liters a day each.
Reckon it will be bout time to start using 'ripen' on the furthest one along next feed.
Will look to chop it same time as the Amnesia. In fact going away makes this more complicated. Might have to do a 2 stage flush on the other 2 to speed up the process so they can all be drying while I'm enjoying the HTCC.
Am feeding the somango's flora micro,bloom and cal/mag only at the moment.
There is something hurting the fan leaves which I can't explain. Leaving yellow stains on the leaves. Don't have a pic of that this time though.

Attachments

• weed 005.jpg
    weed 005.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 14
  • weed 008.jpg
    weed 008.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 11
  • weed 007.jpg
    weed 007.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 15
  • weed 006.jpg
    weed 006.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 12

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
OK well just a quick note to say the Amnesia is now starting its flush at about day 72 by my reckoning. Might be a few more cos it just 'looks' ready. Like that amber hue.
Not really wanting any more to drink anyway so I might give it plain water for a day or 2 then a 2 stage 'mega flush' under the shower then 2-3 days to dry off then chop.

Will post some pic later when I get them out for a trim and a closer look with the 'scope.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
somango47 pic update.

somango47 pic update.

this one is a monster. still drinking about 1 gallon a day. was topped once. Somehow it seems to have 3 main colas though. Might have been a failed top that ended up being a FIM.
Wil dig the other 2 out of the tent soon and provide pics. They look and smell impressive. I'm hopeful this could go well.

e2a - checked the Amnesia trich's. They are clear going cloudy. I'm hoping a weeks flush should catch it perfect cloudy. I'd like it to be a body high so I'm hoping mostly cloudy will do that.

Attachments

• weed 003.jpg
    weed 003.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 13
  • weed 002.jpg
    weed 002.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 16
  • weed 001.jpg
    weed 001.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
The end

The end

Going to make this my last entry here, cancelling this one due to lack of interest. Will update the 12/12 from seed thread down the line.

OK - Well I chopped the Amnesia and it is presently hanging in my little home made drybox.
It is my first attempt and it is too small. Will take about 200g or so tops.
I need a much bigger box. Will made a new one when the right item becomes available.
Even have a good cover story. :ying:

Everything continues to go waaay too well.

The somango47 are fattening up relentlessly. I've had to get yo yo strings to hold up the colas. :biggrin:
One of them is significantly further along than the others and is currently on its 3rd day of plain water.
Will be hard to give it a 2 stage mega flush like I like to because the colas are all over the place. Might have to rope them in with a yoyo string and a bamboo stake if I want to do that.

1st pic and 2nd pic have the further along one at the front. The other two are still drinking like there is no tomorrow. The 3rd pic is the Amnesia hanging in the drying box. I merely close the flaps and turn the box against a wall and hey presto.

OK - will finish this one off in the 12/12 thread if I can remember after the Amnesia.

Attachments

• somango47.jpg
    somango47.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 20
  • weed 007.jpg
    weed 007.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 12
  • weed 015.jpg
    weed 015.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
ok someone else replied. :woohoo:

Hi Yekke

OK the last of these is now awaiting chop. I give em 36 hours of dark after flush then chop, trim and hang.
Had a bit of worry about the size of these flowers. They were massive so I thought I needed to really get in there and keep the fan leaves free of getting 'pinched' in then mold developing.
As a result they don't look as pretty as they should and some of the trich heads have broken off.
I've had this b4 from big yielders. Have to keep the big colas aired out. If I'd pulled the branches away from the stems as they grew and was more vigilant about trimming this would not be required.
If necessary do it as gently as possible and with gloves on would be my advice.

peace :ying:

Last pic in the tent -

Attachments

• somango47 during flush.jpg
    somango47 during flush.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 24
  • sm47 during flush 2.jpg
    sm47 during flush 2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Latest posts