What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shoots perpetual grow Journal

Shoots

Aloha everyone.

I am new here so I don't expect to see a ton of followers. I normally run my garden with a organic recycled soil but no more. I ran into a ton of problems with it and basically had to get nuclear on my garden. threw away a few late in flower. I had root aphids, thrips, fungus gnats the whole nine. Faaaaaq

But thats all good though I am turning a new leaf running coco and i am also turning a new leaf posting here since the coco information here is better than anywhere I have seen on the web.

A brief rundown of my veg and flower setups

In veg I have three light stations starting with the four ft four bulb t5 for the newly potted clones. they then move over to the 400 watt MH for a couple weeks, then under a 600 watt MH for another couple weeks.

So a total of 1200 watts in veg the 400 and 600 are cooled by a 6 inch inline fan running continuous not scrubbed just passively venting the room. Temps stay in the 74-79 degree area during lights on and 68-73 during lights off. RH is at around 50 usually depending usually on weather.

My medium I am starting with is botanicare ready gro moisture in 2l pots.

My flower room is sealed with a 12k btu mini split and 70 pt dehumidifier. its a fairly large space to work with with room to expand both in the panel and the footprint. planning on adding a couple solid panels to the mix.

My environment is pretty well dialed in with humidity ranging from 30-45 percent and my temps are around 75-82 lights on and 68-73 lights off. using co2 enrichment off of a tank. 2-1kw and 2-600's light the room and are both cooled by 8 inch inline fans. one fan vortex, and one fan max fan. will get some pics of flower up soon. for now there is only one.

room is scrubbed and is all clean ready to go. it was a long couple of weeks here for me cleaning and bombing the shit out of my grow spaces.

Heres veg all cleaned up and ready for action

My cut of bubba that has never left my side for a little over three years.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?
albumid=50430&pictureid=1219062&thumb=1

My first try at coco in readygro moisture formula.

any coco pros feel free to school me. Been doing the soil thing for awhile now.

Heres a quick peek at the flower room.
will be more up of it soon but there is a few things needed to be done first.

an older pic of my bloom room.

Shoots

Not much to report today other than my 6 are still standing lol.

Looking forward to sticking this one out and meeting some cool heads from here.

Hoping to be able to test some gear eventually. I have my first cross I will be testing soon as well.

Its a blackberry kush (female) x A. orange (male) could be something nice there.

tech138

Hey Shoots, great start. I'm looking forward to watching your progress. From the looks of that pic, you definitely have the skills. There are many helpful members here, so if you need advice, its not hard to find. The "search" feature can be your best friend when you need it. Welcome, and best of luck to you.

:wave:

Shoots

Hey thanks for dropping in tech138!

I am looking forward to sharing here and learning from some of the pros.

Need to drop a link in my signature so people can find my journal. Really started here to get help from some of the better coco guys. Its all new to me really. But I am comfortable with change, we will see!

You have a journal or anything?

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
smart pots are the best - you going to use those again?

Ive been told straight coco coir is perfect. But looks like you cut yours with perilite - I do the same - or it was a pre-mix?

With coco you want to water it often so that the oxygen is replenished. You can technically treat coco like soil but your growth rates will be slow to very slow. Be sure to inoculate your coco with bennies!

What nutrients are you using?

And quit kissing my ass - you have a way nicer set up and way more space - jelllyyyy

Your cross sounds like sherbet :canabis:

Shoots

smart pots are the best - you going to use those again?

Ive been told straight coco coir is perfect. But looks like you cut yours with perilite - I do the same - or it was a pre-mix?

With coco you want to water it often so that the oxygen is replenished. You can technically treat coco like soil but your growth rates will be slow to very slow. Be sure to inoculate your coco with bennies!

What nutrients are you using?

And quit kissing my ass - you have a way nicer set up and way more space - jelllyyyy

Your cross sounds like sherbet :canabis:

This is something i was going to ask. I am using botanicare ready gro moisture formula, I know not the best probably but i acquired two bags for free and with a young child at home I take anything i can get for free. i was going to pick up some canna coco here shortly and run it straight.

My room is alright i had to do a huge teardown and do a deep cleaning recently and as i was cleaning i just got sick of humping the big pots around of soil so the change to smaller pots and automated waterings made sense to me.

I like smart pots but i don't like how wide they are. I wish they made taller more narrow ones.

So my clones that I put in to the pots have only been waters one time on the 14th. and i think they need water soon but not sure. I am not really worried about it and i will figure it out though.

I usually don't stress I solve. I stress when my smoking utensils are clogged.

Thanks for dropping in Lyryc. and thanks for the kind words. I am actually jealous of your smaller setup. want to downsize honestly. it has become a lot to do on top of my normal grind.

Shoots

Well it has been a week or so and the plants have started to lay down some roots.

Pretty happy so far with everything. I added two more to this group and tomorrow I am going to be building a dripper manifold for this group of 8. I have a 270 gph pump and plan on having 4 - 4 port dripper manifolds. 2 drips per pot.

I am not sure that will work with the size pump but I guess you will either see me succeed or fail and try again until i get it how I want.

I have a little time yet so no rush on getting it perfect tomorrow. but it sure would be nice to get close.

Pics of the progress tomorrow and some pics of my flower room and all the damage the plants suffered from the root aphid infestation and the orthene treatment I dreaded doing.

No more root aphids though. it was rough, and it still is but it is comforting knowing the plants are not being attacked in the root zone. they look like hell and they are embarrassing to say the least. lol

Have a good night, whoever is even watching. hahaha.

oldhaole

Veteran
Where are the dancing girls?

Where is the free beer? Damit! We were promised free beer.

OH Well....We'll just watch the plants grow.

Shoots

Where are the dancing girls?

Where is the free beer? Damit! We were promised free beer.

OH Well....We'll just watch the plants grow.

Oh just wait and be patient they got there crotchless fishnets on and they are serving em cold and frosty ah... hopefully lol.

Thanks for stopping by as well OH.

Shootz shoots will be spockin dis one out jus cuz cuz.shootz

Cheeeeehuuuu cuz lets get action. Forgive my haole pigeon tongue. sometimes can work, and sometimes no can....Mahalo braddah casper for da cruise by.

Shoots.

Shoots

I managed to get the manifold done for my first DTW in coco.

I am sure I will have many questions to come but the manifold did come out better than expected. I will shoot photos of it tomorrow and post it. Was going to try today but once I finished the manifold I started building the tray stands for the 2x4 trays. Its coming along nice.

I know its boring here still pics are coming soon as well as a parts list for my manifolds I built and a diy guide to building the one I made. For the 4x4 tray I will double up on the pump size and add the equal amount of drippers into the system should work well for two to three gallon pots.

I am still very new at the coco game so by all means let me know if you know something that could help me in some way. Im all ears.

Pau work now its dab thirty cheers til tomorrow

shoots

T

Toxsik 8

all sounds interesting, we wait for shots of that setup, bubba cut looks tight

Shoots

all sounds interesting, we wait for shots of that setup, bubba cut looks tight

Thanks bro. Yeah I want to try and do a tutorial on the build. Just busy with family stuff today. so later tonight. The manifold is going to use a 264 gph pump it has 4 four port drippers evenly spaced on the sides. This will accommodate 8 2 gallon pots sufficiently I hope.

I am going to do a trial run tonight to check the flow on it and everything.

See you all later.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
quick coco 101

quick coco 101

If its in a brick - rinse the shit out of it and PH it before use.

Royal Gold - Sanctuary - Cannacoco - nutrifield coco - all used straight out the bag with of course wetting the medium before planting. great results. I'm sure most prewashed and buffered cocos are good right out hte bag and extra washing is just to get the super tiny dusty coco particles cleaned out of the medium to increase porosity.

use chunky perilite if you are going to use perilite - you can also use coco chunks or croutons they call it.

Inoculate with benneficials or you can drench it also - either works. not necessary but I've noticed substantial increase in health and growth.

Try to use a root pruning container like an air pot or smart pot or those square pots that are like smart pots from this vendor here on ICMag - SPDG or something like that I'm stoned can't remember lol...

Water daily and build up the plants to feeding multiple times a day in flower.

For Veg you can treat it like soil but the growth rates will be slow or very slow. don't water like crazy so you don't have too much waste - just water enough to have say 5-10% run off. you could do it without run off or even less - but its a tricky situation to gauge if you aren't monocropping. I like roots Excellerator - using that properly with daily watering you'll have very good growth.

You can run straight coco coir if you want - heard its amazing but i still have perilite and growstones to use so I haven't tried it.

I would use coco friendly nutrients theres a lot to choose from and its all up to you but make sure you get dripclean too since you want to use an automated watering system. sorry if you know this

If you ahve questions ask away - you can use coco for propagation or germination as well!

Lots of people recycle their coco including me - but there is a point when it doesn't not have the same porosity characteristics as fresh coco coir and it turns mushy. Usually after 3 runs the coco is no good.

Good vibes n blessings to you and yours shoots - hook it up wit hthe tutorial cause I need to go on vacation next month and I would love to have a system in place so that a friend only needs to fill a res up and not hand water my babes and fuck with them.

Shoots

Hey lyryc! Thanks for all the tips and pointers. Im going tp go and research what mono cropping is. Not sure i have ever done that before.

I am planning on scrogging these. I will be using 2 gallon smart pots or maybe 1.5 gallon airpots. Not sure yet.

The tutorial to come on the dripper. I still need to test it and see how fast it will dump the rez. and how much water each dripper provides. when i tested it really quickly the pressure seemed just right. Now its all tightened up and there is no leaks from it.

Shoots

My dripper setup started with the 264 gph pump.

Everything is plumbed using 1/2 inch fittings, t's, and 90's.

I used a 3/4" female swivel adaptor to disconnect the manifold when needed. I would have used a half inch one but could not find one. this is the only part that was not 1/2 "

I used a 3/4" male to 1/2" male reducer to return back down to 1/2.

Here are the parts used for my dripper

4 18" risers
2 12" cut off risers
4 90's threaded on one side and slip fit on the other
4 t's threaded on all sides
1 t with threads only on the one side and the branches are slip fit
1 18" flexible riser (the blue hose)
1 3/4" female swivel adaptor
1 3/4" to 1/2" reducer
4 1/2 " male to male couplings
4 four port drippers

All of this cost about 50 bucks and the pump was about 20 or so.

I already had teflon tape and pvc primer and glue.

Just hope this is not toxic to my plants.

Im too stoned to do a good tutorial on here. But Lets just hope it works out ok when I test the shet. A video would be much easier to do and explain.

whatever though. Will get back tonight to do some more updating on my project and its first test

Shoots

I need to get back to having these in my garden the root aphids Butt f'ed me hard. Im slowly getting back there.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey lyryc! Thanks for all the tips and pointers. Im going tp go and research what mono cropping is. Not sure i have ever done that before.

I am planning on scrogging these. I will be using 2 gallon smart pots or maybe 1.5 gallon airpots. Not sure yet.

The tutorial to come on the dripper. I still need to test it and see how fast it will dump the rez. and how much water each dripper provides. when i tested it really quickly the pressure seemed just right. Now its all tightened up and there is no leaks from it.

monocropping is running only 1 strain

Latest posts

Latest posts