What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ECSD x Appalachia In A Crawlspace

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
does it have an extremey heavy smell incense smell, which is know to come from durban poison? someone was trying to hunt down a durban poison cross with wreaked like ten times the normal durbanpoison and one person mentioned this strain, hence my question

thanks in advance

I'm pretty bad at explaining smells. There is definitely a heavy smell that is fruity and sweet for some of the phenos. I had one cut, #3 that smells very strongly of smoked peppers, chipotle particularly. The smells range depending on which pheno it is. They are strong smelling and look very good after the cure. The finished herb looks very nice as well but it was a pain in the dick for trimming, pretty tedious and leafy but well worth it. Regarding an incense smell I would say that you could describe the sweeter smelling ones as being like incense. Overall I would highly recommend this strain. I have some more Reserva Privada gear that I hope to have the time for in the future.

how much the hemlocks run for 7 beans?

$40 from their website - *I was about to post the vendor's website but that might be a TOU violation here. Google around and you'll find it no problem.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
(*Edit* - Forgot to mention that these pics were taken on the 15th and I haven't had a chance to upload them.)

Nice update as far as the crawlspace goes. I was prepared to let everything peter out and run its course over the next several months in preparation of moving but now things have changed so I will be ramping up again with new flavors. I didn't take any more back up cuts of anything or pop beans because of this so there won't be any more Appalachian Diesel or App F3s after this. All the same to me too as I didn't want to run the diesel anymore. I'll be disappointed if there is something awesome that comes from the AF3s but maybe I could try a last ditch attempt to take cuttings. Some of the AF3s are throwing nanners now too which is disappointing. Out of the 4 or so that are nannerific one is really bad in particular. I almost chopped it down but thought better of it. Aside from that they are doing alright and starting to put on frost. These are more stable than the App diesel but there are at least two distinct phenos. Again here there are two really sativa dominant (Green Crack?) plants and then some more chem dawg looking plants. I'm excited to see if some of the green crack comes out with these as I've never seen/smoked that before.

On with the pics! Here are the two sides of bulb 3 where most of the AF3s are.

picture.php

picture.php

I have my App diesels around bulb 1 getting ready to come down and they are all looking pretty good. I was running 4 #1 plant cuts and one plant in particular has a cola about the size of a 12 ounce can! That plant is in a smart pot so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. More soil could be fit in there if that might have given it a leg up. It wasn't tall at all this time either which I thought was odd for it to crank out a cola that size. Hard to tell but I tried to wrap my hand around it for scale.

picture.php

Left and Right sides of bulb 1 with the damn near ready App diesels.

picture.php

picture.php

Next post for the other pictures...

Last edited:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Lastly we have bulbs 2 and 4 bumping along and doing their thing. Certainly a medley with these again. Chem Dawg, UK Cheese, OG Kush, AF3, Hemlock, App diesel #5.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I just checked in on the girls after watering them last and some of the flowers were flopping over to the point that they were only inches from the bulb! Others yet were flopped over to where they were pointing towards the ground. The Chemdawgs seemed to be the worst ones to do this. Be sure to check your plants everyday!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
your Appy diesel looks killer, but I gotta say, the Hemlock is mighty pretty too. :woohoo: nanners or no, it would be hard to toss either. congrats...

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
your Appy diesel looks killer, but I gotta say, the Hemlock is mighty pretty too. :woohoo: nanners or no, it would be hard to toss either. congrats...

Thanks for the props hippy! I've been out of town without access to my computer for awhile, apparently near your neck of the woods from seeing your location. Everything has certainly swelled up since I was out of town but on a more somber note Powdery Mildew has popped up and begun to spread all throughout my garden!!! SHITSHITFUCKSHIT. I've only seen this once before years ago when I had a little runt of an outdoor plant going outside in WNC. Just before I headed out of town I had one of my UK Cheese clones looking like a bag of ass and upon closer inspection I saw that it had got got by the PM. I culled it immediately but apparently it spread all throughout while I was gone. My roommate was nice enough to take care of the girls and trim up the others that had come down but he definitely overwatered everything this past watering. I had to spend a good amount of time last night staking up ladies and getting weak floppy branches to get up and away from the bulb. I know that I have my work cut out for me but I WILL NOT give up on the ladies as they are plenty far enough along to fight for and see to the end of flowering. ANY AND ALL advice is welcomed as I start to read up on how best to deal with this problem. I remember hearing about lacto bacillus (sp?) and want to entertain any organic methods to take care of the PM. NO CHEMICALS, deal breaker. I'm scared for my ladies, can y'all hold me and tell me it's all gonna be alright?

:comfort:

C

CaliGabe

Everything has certainly swelled up since I was out of town but on a more somber note Powdery Mildew has popped up and begun to spread all throughout my garden!!! SHITSHITFUCKSHIT. I've only seen this once before years ago when I had a little runt of an outdoor plant going outside in WNC. Just before I headed out of town I had one of my UK Cheese clones looking like a bag of ass and upon closer inspection I saw that it had got got by the PM. I culled it immediately but apparently it spread all throughout while I was gone. My roommate was nice enough to take care of the girls and trim up the others that had come down but he definitely overwatered everything this past watering. I had to spend a good amount of time last night staking up ladies and getting weak floppy branches to get up and away from the bulb. I know that I have my work cut out for me but I WILL NOT give up on the ladies as they are plenty far enough along to fight for and see to the end of flowering. ANY AND ALL advice is welcomed as I start to read up on how best to deal with this problem. I remember hearing about lacto bacillus (sp?) and want to entertain any organic methods to take care of the PM. NO CHEMICALS, deal breaker. I'm scared for my ladies, can y'all hold me and tell me it's all gonna be alright?

:comfort:
Actinovate, which is pretty expensive yet works great, and/or Serenade which becomes less effective as flowering plants go into senescence.

The best defense against PM is grow the healthiest plants you can. Some of this has to do with genetics. I'm guessing you could have probably done well with some foliar calcium treatments for starters in veg and early flower.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Actinovate, which is pretty expensive yet works great, and/or Serenade which becomes less effective as flowering plants go into senescence.

The best defense against PM is grow the healthiest plants you can. Some of this has to do with genetics. I'm guessing you could have probably done well with some foliar calcium treatments for starters in veg and early flower.

Thanks for dropping some knowledge. Healthiest plants is always my rule of thumb but I think the rise in humidity, being out of town for awhile, and growing in a crawlspace all worked together to conspire against me. I want to entertain all options at this point, so long as they are organic. What are these calcium treatments you speak of? All my girls are in the middle of flower or nearing the end of the flowering cycle with some around 3 weeks out.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
So here's where I'm at now. I ended up going with the Green Cure over the Serenade. It worked immediately and removed all sights of Powdery Mildew. That worked a lot better than I had anticipated too. I'm going to be on the lookout for it to pop up again but in the mean time I started an ACT up tonight that I will use as a foliar tomorrow night and watered the rest of the girls with a solution of emulsified neem oil @30mL/gallon. I just about have all the girls on the same water schedule again now too which is nice. Humidity has been pretty consistent around mid to high 30's.

The first two pictures are some of the nicer colas with the PM lingering around just prior to getting the Green Cure.

AF3
picture.php

"Chemdawd" That's what the cut was sold to me as but it's starting to look more like Flo to me and smells sweet.

picture.php

Prior to spraying I would have had the light off for at least 10 minutes to properly cool down. Then I would put a fresh, clean sock over the bulb to protect it from spray. I sprayed the shit out of all the girls from every angle until they were dripping - there was no way I was going to miss anything.

picture.php

I would then leave the plants to dry out for a bit before firing up the bulb again. Everything worked out so far, nothing appears to have gotten mad or burnt. The leaves have no visible signs of PM anywhere even after several days (They were sprayed the 4th - same day these pictures are from).

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I just recently got a gopro and have been trying to figure it out. Pretty damn handy with a remote or being able to use your phone to control it. I played around with taking a video or two to get the feel of it and also took these pictures yesterday.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ACT foliar tomorrow to get the girls back on track and then will resume normal feeding schedule again along with some additional beneficials after I pick some more up.

:yes:

Quick thought... If you are planning on using Green Cure, ie Potassium Bi Carbonate, try instead taking some water and adding a slight bit pf pH up. Bring it to about 7.0-7.2, nothing crazy, and spot spray your plants that are still flowering out. Using the Green Cure doesn't work very long and repeated use tends to manifest itself in a potash overdose; your leaves get dark green and the hairs turn prematurely dark. The slightly alkaline water applies the same physiologic principle as the green cure and even sulfur burners without the harsh side effects. The fungus doesn't like the basic environment. Hope this helps, we have all been there here in CO! Good Luck!

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Quick thought... If you are planning on using Green Cure, ie Potassium Bi Carbonate, try instead taking some water and adding a slight bit pf pH up. Bring it to about 7.0-7.2, nothing crazy, and spot spray your plants that are still flowering out. Using the Green Cure doesn't work very long and repeated use tends to manifest itself in a potash overdose; your leaves get dark green and the hairs turn prematurely dark. The slightly alkaline water applies the same physiologic principle as the green cure and even sulfur burners without the harsh side effects. The fungus doesn't like the basic environment. Hope this helps, we have all been there here in CO! Good Luck!

I want to use the Green Cure for now since I purchased it. Would there be any harm in still using it but at a lower dosage than previously? I want to use it as sparingly as possible but keeping the PM away is the first priority.

Thanks for the info

I want to use the Green Cure for now since I purchased it. Would there be any harm in still using it but at a lower dosage than previously? I want to use it as sparingly as possible but keeping the PM away is the first priority.

Thanks for the info

It will still work at a lower dose, of course for not as long. How much longer do you have of flowering? My advice would be to use the Green Cure sparingly for the rest of the harvest and if you start to see signs of potassium toxicity (dark leaves and the premature darkening of the hairs) then go to the pH Up and water until you chop it down.

It will still work at a lower dose, of course for not as long. How much longer do you have of flowering? My advice would be to use the Green Cure sparingly for the rest of the harvest and if you start to see signs of potassium toxicity (dark leaves and the premature darkening of the hairs) then go to the pH Up and water until you chop it down.

The Green Cure is really only detrimental when you have a mildew outbreak that is bad enough that you have to spray OFTEN to get it under control... this is when you get the negative side effects of green cure. I should have been more specific on what the actual problem with the KHCO3- is. Usually, if you use it once or twice over a two week period you will not see any side effects at all.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
The Green Cure is really only detrimental when you have a mildew outbreak that is bad enough that you have to spray OFTEN to get it under control... this is when you get the negative side effects of green cure. I should have been more specific on what the actual problem with the KHCO3- is. Usually, if you use it once or twice over a two week period you will not see any side effects at all.

Thanks for the clarification. I have only treated the one time after I got back from my trip and had it all over the garden. Prior to leaving it was just on the one UK Cheese cut that I immediately culled. I sprayed the green cure at the lowest suggested application rate that was on the jar the one time on the 4th and still no signs of PM again as of day before yesterday. I've never had to deal with PM but from reading about it I would expect it to pop its head up again here soonish. That would still only equate to roughly the once or twice per two week period that you speak of. I'm hoping that the ACT spray would have helped the plants get over any stress that they might be going through. I also recently purchased the myco granules for transplants, the soluble oregonism mycos and beneficials, as well as some more kelp/fish mix from age old. I'm hoping that this will get the girls back on track and having their defenses up. As soon as we quit getting rain here in the front range of CO will help as well I'm hoping.

Thanks for the clarification. I have only treated the one time after I got back from my trip and had it all over the garden. Prior to leaving it was just on the one UK Cheese cut that I immediately culled. I sprayed the green cure at the lowest suggested application rate that was on the jar the one time on the 4th and still no signs of PM again as of day before yesterday. I've never had to deal with PM but from reading about it I would expect it to pop its head up again here soonish. That would still only equate to roughly the once or twice per two week period that you speak of. I'm hoping that the ACT spray would have helped the plants get over any stress that they might be going through. I also recently purchased the myco granules for transplants, the soluble oregonism mycos and beneficials, as well as some more kelp/fish mix from age old. I'm hoping that this will get the girls back on track and having their defenses up. As soon as we quit getting rain here in the front range of CO will help as well I'm hoping.

You aren't lying about this rain, WTF! i have been struggling to keep my humidity under 50 with a full flowered out room. Those big buds hold a lot of moiture :)

Are you completely against using systemic fungicides in veg, not that it is a big help now, but for the next round? I know many people refuse to use them at all. I was the same way until I moved to Colorado..i.e. the PM capital of the world!

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
You aren't lying about this rain, WTF! i have been struggling to keep my humidity under 50 with a full flowered out room. Those big buds hold a lot of moiture :)

Are you completely against using systemic fungicides in veg, not that it is a big help now, but for the next round? I know many people refuse to use them at all. I was the same way until I moved to Colorado..i.e. the PM capital of the world!

Chemicals? No. While it might be easier and more convenient to use something like Eagle 20 I don't want to have to resort to that. I strive to keep my grow entirely organic. Don't get me wrong, this isn't some holier than thou soapbox thing, just how I like to do things. Oddly enough I still haven't ever seen PM until now but this is my first grow setup since moving from 9000 feet. Even though they got summer rains up there daily, humidity still stayed low to relatively low after the rain would dry off. I guess it takes growing weed in a crawlspace in the rainiest summer to get PM. I'm really hoping it goes away when summer moves on, the rain quits, and relative humidity can go back to the normal lows that are typical of CO.

Chemicals? No. While it might be easier and more convenient to use something like Eagle 20 I don't want to have to resort to that. I strive to keep my grow entirely organic. Don't get me wrong, this isn't some holier than thou soapbox thing, just how I like to do things. Oddly enough I still haven't ever seen PM until now but this is my first grow setup since moving from 9000 feet. Even though they got summer rains up there daily, humidity still stayed low to relatively low after the rain would dry off. I guess it takes growing weed in a crawlspace in the rainiest summer to get PM. I'm really hoping it goes away when summer moves on, the rain quits, and relative humidity can go back to the normal lows that are typical of CO.

Actually, down here PM seems to be a problem more in the winter:( In fact watching several of my buddies down here struggle with it week in and week out in the winter was how I knew about the Green Cure having negative side effects. And also, how we found out that the pH up and water work better. Back in TX I never saw it; not once in 12 years of growing, and you must understand the humidity can sit at 80% all summer without budging there. I personally use a slightly weaker version of the old school Matt Rize combo of neem and karanja oil diluted in pro-tect and yucca extract as a surfactant for a foliar spray. This works very well as a preventative and even a spot treatment on veging or early flowering plants, but every 4-6 months I will see a hint of it creep back up. When this happens I immediately hit everything in my Veg room with the Eagle. Never anything in the Flowering Rooms!!! Once I apply it that one time I just go back to the weekly/biweekly foliar sprays and usually wont see the PM again until someone gives me a dirty clone or something. If it is just a clone a heavy dosing of the organic foliar works just as well as the systemics as far as completely eradicating it to the point that I will not see it again. I know many people are AVIDly against using the systemics (pun intended), and by no means do I mean to envoke my philosophies onto someone else, but I feel obligated to point out that even I, a traditional organic gardner who makes his own soils and teas, resort to it every a couple times a year. This is after watching so many of my friends constantly struggle with it only to realize now that if you use the systemics when you see it in your veg room and then clean your flowering room well after the crop comes down, then jump back into the preventative foliar sprays you can have a PM free garden that is safe and still organic in nature.

It is a struggle here on the front range though. I think part of it is just that there are so many indoor gardeners growing pot here, the spores are everywhere. Every time you go to the grow store you are going to encounter PM spores.