What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ECSD x Appalachia In A Crawlspace

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran

Thanks for the thread silver. I had seen that thread before but kind of forgot about it. I guess that's what FunkJungle was talking about. This will be my last try with this bubble cloner. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated. Thing DO seem to be harder after moving to the spot after my old one.

Hiya Who Dat. Dont sweat the thread activity, I'm sure you got plenty of lurkers like me with not much to add. Did u build the partition panels with Orca?

Are you talking about addtional ones to the first two I've built? I think I have pictures of them a page or two back. I still need to hang some more plastic up there behind the Hemlocks and have definitely been lazy with that. The ADs will be coming down sooner than I originally thought too, maybe within the week for all of them besides #3. I can't say it enough but I can't believe how much these girls like to feed. After I quit feeding they have just been devouring their fan leaves. Now that I know I'll be hitting them harder the whole time.

Thanks for stopping in guys.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Yo silver, do you have any first hand experience with using the chlorine while cloning? Did you still aerate your water with the chlorine and did that chlorine smell get around? I've got all that in my closet and don't want that stink on my clothes or in my room. Thanks.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
The clover mulch is starting to take off. Definitely crazy growth, pushing all the topsoil up in the 5 gallon Hemlock containers.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
HELP! I need your opinion, regular posters and lurkers alike. Don't head out of here without throwing in your two cents.

The first round of appalachian diesels are coming down and I had some vegged out cuts of the ADs to go into rotation. The ADs I have sitting alongside the Hemlocks are already showing what looks to be male flowers again but even earlier in flower than the originals. I would like to keep both bulbs going with flower but don't want to deal with nanners and balls, especially this early in. I have a while yet before the Appalachian F3s are ready to go in or the Hemlock cuts to hopefully root. So there are a couple of different approaches here.

1. Get rid of all the ADs and cut my losses, wait til the AP3s and Hemlocks get old enough and throw them into rotation. I've even entertained the notion of getting on craigslist for buying ready to go teens.

2. Hedge my bets - Get rid of the phenos I don't like and only run cut #1 that seemed to be the best but still shows nanners.

3. Fuck it - pluck nanners and balls and run everything as is but don't have any more cuts of the AD going and phase them out.

I have a nice pile of different beans that I'm already thinking of popping.

Gimme them :2cents:

L

Libeccio

hey man, looks great in here. :) i'll throw my :2cents:: i would go for what you really like (plus you've got your chocolate box full of nice beans i think eheh :)), but maybe not just 1 thing as you might wanna have variation (i know i would :)). also depends how big is this hermaphroditic tendency... i mean some plants show nanners at a certain point in flowering and then nothing more, some others thow out very few of them but constantly on the second half of flowering: those you can work with. some others are a real pain in the ass producing male flowers constantly and aboundantly and not worth the work imo. i don't know if i'm being helpful at all, i know you know this shit :D. have you tried the end product from all of them? anyways, these are 3 quite different options... so... oh, and i love cloning in a dome, works great for me. i have much more cuts than i need, so i don't really care about rooting time (sometimes it's better they take longer if other growing areas are full...), but i have 100% cloning rate and i like simple and effective things. the bubble cloner has always intrigued me but i never ended up doing one, as i don't feel like having rooting issues. so, if there's is something you don't like in the b. cloner, going back to dome is nice! i need to get info about the clover mulch, i am ignorant on the subject... hugs man! :tiphat:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
hey man, looks great in here. :) i'll throw my :2cents:: i would go for what you really like (plus you've got your chocolate box full of nice beans i think eheh :)), but maybe not just 1 thing as you might wanna have variation (i know i would :)). also depends how big is this hermaphroditic tendency... i mean some plants show nanners at a certain point in flowering and then nothing more, some others thow out very few of them but constantly on the second half of flowering: those you can work with. some others are a real pain in the ass producing male flowers constantly and aboundantly and not worth the work imo. i don't know if i'm being helpful at all, i know you know this shit :D. have you tried the end product from all of them? anyways, these are 3 quite different options... so... oh, and i love cloning in a dome, works great for me. i have much more cuts than i need, so i don't really care about rooting time (sometimes it's better they take longer if other growing areas are full...), but i have 100% cloning rate and i like simple and effective things. the bubble cloner has always intrigued me but i never ended up doing one, as i don't feel like having rooting issues. so, if there's is something you don't like in the b. cloner, going back to dome is nice! i need to get info about the clover mulch, i am ignorant on the subject... hugs man! :tiphat:

Thanks for the input. I too love variation and I'm a strain whore at heart. I like having flavors and options and not having my eggs all in one basket. These girls have nanners and balls that intermittently pop up all over the place. It is never a huge widespread deal but consistently spread out. Some plants are worse than others but they all exhibit this trait. I haven't tried the end product of any of them as they are just about to get chopped. That is a good point I forgot about and I will be able to take that into consideration here really soon. On the cloning issue I ended up getting some clear rez for the bubble cloner to see if that takes care of the issue, if not I'll probably ditch it and go with the dome again. I haven't ever used the living mulch either but I like it so far, if nothing else it looks cool.

Thanks again for stopping in and the input.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm definitely getting that sludgy slimey shit on the ends of the cuttings and I'm sure that's messing with them. I have shit packed in there so tight that I never want to change out the rez and I'm sure that's contributing to cuttings taking forever or not at all.

I'm about to say fuck it and try a humidity dome and rapid rooters again but would just as soon not drop money on another gadget like a heating pad. Thanks for the input FunkJungle!

Hey man, sorry haven't been here since my last post. If you want the easy way just get a bottle of clear rez so there's no guesswork, or if you want to mix your own for waaay cheaper just follow the link silver hawaiian gave you. Get the pool shock and mix it at 1 gram per gallon.

If you look in your bubble cloner and see little tiny bubbles around the edges where the water line is, you got to add some. I add a little bit each day till I don't see those bubbles anymore. The tiny bubbles are an indicator of nasties in the water. Don't put in too much if you do the tips of your cuts will turn white and then it will take a while for them to recover or they may not make it. Learned that the hard way when I started making my own. The stuff in the bottle is pretty fool proof though. It's pretty diluted so kinda hard to overdose them.

But yeah I was having the same issues as you before I got that stuff. Almost gave up. But if you can treat your water and keep it clean bubble cloning is thee way to go.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Hey man, sorry haven't been here since my last post. If you want the easy way just get a bottle of clear rez so there's no guesswork, or if you want to mix your own for waaay cheaper just follow the link silver hawaiian gave you. Get the pool shock and mix it at 1 gram per gallon.

If you look in your bubble cloner and see little tiny bubbles around the edges where the water line is, you got to add some. I add a little bit each day till I don't see those bubbles anymore. The tiny bubbles are an indicator of nasties in the water. Don't put in too much if you do the tips of your cuts will turn white and then it will take a while for them to recover or they may not make it. Learned that the hard way when I started making my own. The stuff in the bottle is pretty fool proof though. It's pretty diluted so kinda hard to overdose them.

But yeah I was having the same issues as you before I got that stuff. Almost gave up. But if you can treat your water and keep it clean bubble cloning is thee way to go.

Thanks for stopping in too. Would you happen to have any input on the cut/bean situation though? Any and all info is appreciated. :yes:

That's too bad your girls are throwing nanners and nuts. Looks like you were able to get it handled with the first round girls. I'd say whether to toss'em or not depends on the smoke. The plants look dank as hell and awesome yielders. What kinda smells you gettin?

Personally I'd wait to smoke the first round, then pick my keeper(s) based on that. Give it one more try man if the buds are to your liking. Worst case just pluck them. I know as far as the mom ECSD goes, all I ever seen from her is a couple late flowering nanners which are sterile. I have about 20 or so of her children fathered by a SDIBL and none of them have thrown balls or nanners, except for a couple in my small flowering room and that was my fault, power outage fucked up the light schedule, and they're at day 65 now. Even with that it was just a couple that I plucked. But all the ones in my main room don't have any trace of that. In fact, I've yet to see sacks on any ECSD offspring I've grown personally, so I really doubt it's coming from the mom.

Have you looked into any other journals on this cross? I'd look there bro if you can find any, I know there's not likely many cause this is the first one I've seen. Do a google search though and see if this is something anyone else running these is experiencing. If not then maybe there was something in your environment that originally caused it and they just gotta get back in balance. If it were me and I liked the plants I'd do whatever I could to hold onto them. You chucked the males? Damn I woulda at least tossed a little pollen and looked through the next generation. For me that's standard protocol for every new strain in case something happens at least I got F2's. The plants look great though man I wish these beans were available I would jump on them, or the Appalachias. Lucky bastard hehe.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
That's too bad your girls are throwing nanners and nuts. Looks like you were able to get it handled with the first round girls. I'd say whether to toss'em or not depends on the smoke. The plants look dank as hell and awesome yielders. What kinda smells you gettin? I've always been bad at describing smells. There is something there and it's strong but I'll have a better idea when these girls come down. They would have been chopped already but I've had a busy weekend.

Personally I'd wait to smoke the first round, then pick my keeper(s) based on that. Give it one more try man if the buds are to your liking. Worst case just pluck them. I know as far as the mom ECSD goes, all I ever seen from her is a couple late flowering nanners which are sterile. I have about 20 or so of her children fathered by a SDIBL and none of them have thrown balls or nanners, except for a couple in my small flowering room and that was my fault, power outage fucked up the light schedule, and they're at day 65 now. Even with that it was just a couple that I plucked. But all the ones in my main room don't have any trace of that. In fact, I've yet to see sacks on any ECSD offspring I've grown personally, so I really doubt it's coming from the mom.

Have you looked into any other journals on this cross? I'd look there bro if you can find any, I know there's not likely many cause this is the first one I've seen. Do a google search though and see if this is something anyone else running these is experiencing. I've heard from two other people that they had similar experiences with the nanners. If not then maybe there was something in your environment that originally caused it and they just gotta get back in balance. If it were me and I liked the plants I'd do whatever I could to hold onto them. You chucked the males? Damn I woulda at least tossed a little pollen and looked through the next generation. For me that's standard protocol for every new strain in case something happens at least I got F2's. I don't have any experience with this even though I'd like to. I would like to keep the males separate but I have never had the space or strong enough desire to pursue F2s that much but I hear yah. The plants look great though man I wish these beans were available I would jump on them, or the Appalachias. The Appalachia F3s are rockin' and rollin' right now. They caught their stride after getting potted up to the solo cups. I know I'll be at the threshold of them getting pissed and wanting to get potted up to the gallon containers but I'm limited on space. Lucky bastard hehe.

Thanks for the input FunkJungle. I tend to forget how the smoke and finished buds can persuade my decision. I just hate getting caught on nanner patrol and having to pluck everything. I remember that at the time I was growing Headband I hated how it looked and how it grew. It had such a weird growth pattern to it. After it was done and I smoked it it turned out to be one of my favorite and most potent strains. That's why I appreciate everybody's feedback so much so I don't run off and do something drastic like cull all the plants I've been vegging for so long.

Anybody else with some knowledge to drop? Thanks!

Lung.Butter

I grew out a single ecsd x appy recently, great smoke, clostest seed ive grown to real ecsd and ive run a few. didn't have any nanners or anything, big stretch with big long spears for buds in my scrog, airy but big yielding.

Wasn't sure when to take them as they didnt seem to finish properly but i took them at 12 weeks in the end and they were fine.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I grew out a single ecsd x appy recently, great smoke, clostest seed ive grown to real ecsd and ive run a few. didn't have any nanners or anything, big stretch with big long spears for buds in my scrog, airy but big yielding.

Wasn't sure when to take them as they didnt seem to finish properly but i took them at 12 weeks in the end and they were fine.

From your description it sounds like the diesel dominant pheno that I've seen. Did it look similar to my #2 plant?

Lung.Butter

From your description it sounds like the diesel dominant pheno that I've seen. Did it look similar to my #2 plant?

I was just looking at the structure of the buds on your #4 and that one reminds me of mine, it was crazy foxtailed out everywhere. Difficult to say other than that mine was a 12 oz plant in a scrog net so all you really see is buds.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I was just looking at the structure of the buds on your #4 and that one reminds me of mine, it was crazy foxtailed out everywhere. Difficult to say other than that mine was a 12 oz plant in a scrog net so all you really see is buds.

Pictures?

S

SooperSmurph

Nice little vert you have going there, considering getting a tube around that bulb at some point? I know a place you may be visiting soon with a used one :biggrin:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Nice little vert you have going there, considering getting a tube around that bulb at some point? I know a place you may be visiting soon with a used one :biggrin:

I like the simplicity of the bare bulb and temps haven't been an issue down there yet. I was wondering if you might have some input on what should be done with the different cuts of the Appalachian Diesel?

Thanks Smurph!