What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ECSD x Appalachia In A Crawlspace

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Good deal. Sounds like you have a plan. Just a suggestion, maybe tie the branches down and get them to grow low, like below the pot. tie a string around the pot that will give you an anchor point to tie the branches to. Kinda like growing em low like a ground cover. if that makes any sense, lol
Here's a pic of LVPK I did on a rack several years ago that kinda shows what I am trying to say. If I remember correctly they are in 15 gallon pots here.
url=/ic/gallery/showphoto.php?ph[oto=784375]
10-20-09_010_Medium_.jpg
[/url]

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Nice, like each has has its own individual SCROG. I've done the tie down with string method but it's a pain in the ass as far as having to retie knots all the time to adjust. I can't remember where I saw it on this site but I saw somebody using pipe cleaners and binder clips to position and tie down limbs. I liked it because it was easy to bend and adjust the hook around the limb and it was also a breeze to adjust the binder clip alongside the rim of the pot. I have played around with that several times and I'm going to do something similar with that garden wire stuff and bamboo stakes. 2 or 3 stakes to a pot and wire the stem and limbs accordingly. After transplanting I'm going to take off the lower Larf and makes clones out of them. After that it's creating a front and back to the plant for the best surface area to face the bulb.

Ickis

Veteran
You started a very interesting thread Who Dat Is.What made you decide to use the crawl space? No spare room in the house or hiding it from others in the house?

The bubble wrap is a good idea if it has some insulation quality. The panda film made the space look professional and clean.

You could do a vertical scrog. Put the screen for each plant facing the vertical hung bulb. Have the plant container behind the screen and the plant bent over and through the lower part of the screen and just keep tying the branches to the screen and let them spread and cover the screen. You could get a huge yield by doing what resinryder did but vertical.

Whatever you do you seem determined and will do great. I will enjoy watching this.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
You started a very interesting thread Who Dat Is.What made you decide to use the crawl space? No spare room in the house or hiding it from others in the house? This is a pretty small house without any extra space. Also, I might be living in Colorado but growing isn't something I've ever advertised or been open about unless I know you really well. I like the challenge too of utilizing such an atypical space.

The bubble wrap is a good idea if it has some insulation quality. The panda film made the space look professional and clean. Thanks

You could do a vertical scrog. Put the screen for each plant facing the vertical hung bulb. Have the plant container behind the screen and the plant bent over and through the lower part of the screen and just keep tying the branches to the screen and let them spread and cover the screen. You could get a huge yield by doing what resinryder did but vertical. I have thought about that but I might try to keep it more simple this go round. After I see how the phenos flower and know which ones I want to keep I might go that route when I know what to expect from them.

Whatever you do you seem determined and will do great. I will enjoy watching this.

:yes:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Been spending a good bit of time down there trying to get everything up to speed. I got everything potted up last night and down in the crawlspace. The last touches I have yet to do is make the rest of the perimeter to keep the light in. At first I was going to mount it to the floor joists and tape everything up but I knew that I would be forever battling the negative pressure from the exhaust. I think I settled on making mobile partitions out of PVC frames with panda poly attached in the middle. That way I can move them around and adjust as necessary. I always like to have that freedom to tinker around. Anyways, on with the pics right?

The girls right after transplanting last night.

picture.php

picture.php

Keep in mind, this is what this corner looked like before I doctored it up. I'm really happy with the turnaround.

picture.php

I'm trying to keep track of the different phenos so I can remember which ones to keep after cuts, how they grow, size, etc. so I took pictures of all of them individually. There seem to be 3 different ones that I can pick out at this time. #1, #2,#5,#6 seem to be a sativa dominant pheno. #3 is similar in structure to the other 4 but has a different leaf pattern and even some of the fans have 9 blades - #3 is my favorite. #4 Looks to be a more Indica leaning pheno with shorter distance between nodes and squatter stature. It's normally looking happier but I think it's settling into it's new home.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm going to let them settle in just a bit and get used to the 600 and then roll the timer back to 12/12 after tomorrow's light cycle. Then it's time to trim up their nethers and take some cuts.

Take care y'all!

:tiphat:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I was able to borrow this gadget to check and see what temps were looking like around the crawl. I thought it was interesting to see how hot these bulbs get. Also, check out the surface temps of the leaves that are nearest and facing the bulb.

picture.php

picture.php

Science!

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Trimmed the nethers and broke out the old bubble cloner. If anybody has ever had trouble with cloning then I highly recommend making one of these for yourself. I know I got tired of fooling around with rockwool cubes and humidity domes.

Two air stones and an aquarium heater set to 79 Degrees Fahrenheit

picture.php

Hole with the rubber hose sleeves to hold the cuttings in place.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I didn't want to keep hand drawing some half ass layout every time so I took the time to draw up a template in Paint.

picture.php

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Quick Update - Here's what the girls were looking like on the 25th

picture.php

And last night I was checking in on them and I saw one of these guys crawling around on one of the plants. Any idea what kind of critter this is and if it's good or bad?

picture.php

picture.php

I saw a dead one of these guys belly up on the floor and this live one. I haven't seen anything else cruising around yet. I flicked this guy off the leaf but didn't see where it went or what happened to him.

Thanks

lil~greensprout

Living life large...
Veteran
It would appear to be a Box elder bug... pretty harmless to your plants.
Which by the way look healthy as can be, kick'n it in that crawl space !

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
It would appear to be a Box elder bug... pretty harmless to your plants.
Which by the way look healthy as can be, kick'n it in that crawl space !

Thanks Sprout! I really like the crawlspace too, it feels like my little secret lab. You would never know that it's down there, if well....you didn't know it was down there.

This is what I feel like when I'm down there.

lab-scientist-happy.jpg

But this is probably what I look like down there.

580751_418602258175385_1601212863_n.jpg

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Definitely a Box Elder Bug, compliments of Wikipedia.

Box_elder_bug.jpg

They may form large aggregations while sunning themselves in areas near their host plant (e.g. on rocks, shrubs, trees, and man-made structures). However, their congregation habits and excreta can annoy people; thus, they are considered nuisance pests. This is especially a problem during the cooler months, when they sometimes invade houses and other man-made structures seeking warmth or a place to overwinter. They remain inactive inside the walls (and behind siding) while the weather is cool. When the heating systems revive them, some may falsely perceive it to be springtime and enter inhabited parts of the building in search of food, water, and conspecifics. In the spring, the bugs leave their winter hibernation locations to feed and lay eggs on maple or ash trees; aggregations may be seen during this time and well into summer and early fall, depending on the temperature.

These fools better not think my plants are a Maple or Ash tree in the mean time.

picture.php

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Had some timer woes yesterday and the light was late coming on for 2.5 hours before I caught it and got it running again. Threw that timer out and put another in, hopefully that will take care of the problem and the girls are none the worse for wear. I gave them all another big trim job and took some more clones. Last round with the clones wasn't too successful. I managed to get some to root but you know the South Park episode with Towelie and you see all the shitty early mess up models of towelie before they perfected it? That's what I feel like these clones ended up like. "Killl meeee". I opted for a "humidity dome" this time to see if that wouldn't take care of the problem.

picture.php

Forgive the shite pictures but it is only getting more difficult to get a decent picture as these broads get bigger.

Right side

picture.php

Left side

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It's funny how there is already noticeable differences between the plants on how far along with flowering they are. I'm sure it boils down to who is more diesel dominant. Time will tell.

Thanks for stopping in y'all!

L

Libeccio

very nice thread whodatis! :D sounds like an mazing strain... i'm following this :lurk:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Let's start on a happy note. Here are two of the Hemlocks just chugging along and loving life after getting potted up to the gallon pots.

picture.php

Last night while checking in on the ladies I decided to take a picture of a calyx. Cell phones have come a looooong way haven't they?

picture.php

Then, on that same plant I noticed several male flowers popping up. *Sigh*

picture.php

Not ruling out light leaks as a possible stressor or perhaps the timer fuck up but this IS about finding the one right? #6 just isn't the one then. Hammer for scale.

picture.php

Sent it on to that great big dumpster in the sky. Now I hope that the others won't want to follow suit.

On a brighter note the clones I took this past round are doing waaayyyy better than the first try. The garbage bag humidity dome is working wonders for them, who'da thunk it right?