What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Recycled/Reused/ Reammended/Reloaded/ Reupped/Retarded

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Hey what's up. It's been awhile since I've started a new thread, so here I goes.

I built 2 rooms that are about 11'x7'x7'.
They are sealed and insulated.
2kW HPS in each.
Window rattler air conditioners installed in the walls.
I think they're 12k BTU each.
I have 70pt dehumidifiers strapped to the ceilings to save space.

I have been growing in beds and I love them.
In the beds, I put a peat/EWC/perlite/bone/blood/kelp/greensand/lime/superstarterplus mix.
Water with straight h2o via blumats, occasionally throwing some molasses in the rez.
I've gotten great results doing things this way and when the run was over, I'd either reuse the dirt for my vegging plants or just throw the shit in the yard.

Each bed is 75 gallons.
Multiplied by 8 beds and I have 600 gallons of dirt that I would have to replace after every run.
I'm getting older and probably lazier and I am just not trying to do that anymore.
Besides the fact that it just seems impractical.

So I'm biting the bullet and am going to try to just reuse and reammend the dirt that's already there.
All I've done is add back in 1/2 of all the amendments that were originally used. I hope it's just as easy as that.
If not, this thread will end after the first run.
If I get great results, I'll continue the thread until I do something new.

I'm also trying to grow fewer, bigger plants.
Under this 2kW, I have 4-5 plants per light.
I've never really scrogged before, so that's yet another thing I'm trying out.

I'm running Rom's SSH, LDawg, UK Cheese, and LA Confidential.
I'm 5 days in right now.
Things are looking good for the most part so far.
A few of the UK Cheese leaves are making me nervous though. Hopefully whatever it is, straightens itself out.
The SSH went through a period of cal/mag deficiency during veg, but was straightened out before I flipped them.

Here are some pictures -

SSH
3gdDKjh.jpg

LDawg
HPuugKr.jpg

UK Cheese
ftx64hi.jpg

LA Confidential
OpFeSzD.jpg

Here is what I'm noticing on the UK Cheese and a little bit on the LaCon
Jv2VUur.jpg

Maybe I'm just bugging out because I'm nervous. I hope so. If anyone has any input on what it could be, please chime in.

I'm very inexperienced with scrogging. I hope that the screens fill in nicely. If not, whatever. I'll get the hang of it.

I apologize for the poor picture quality. The camera I have for wider shots is pretty old and I only have a macro lens for my DSLR

Comments/critiques are welcome. Dickheads are not.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Good shit, Lapides. Those are some big Casey's!

Recycled soil is where it's at for me. It gets better with time and it's cheap as shit. Hell, with those big beds you can pull off a no-till and save yourself the hassle of emptying them and globally re-amending. But as it stands with just reusing them I am sure you will like what you see.

You said you added back all of the amendments at 1/2 the rate... does that include the EWC too or do you consider that part of your base mix that you amend? Reason I ask is adding vermicompost back is more important than anything else. Bone meal breaks down pretty slow, so does greensand, so you can likely go lower with those two. There's no need to add back lime, or even add it in the first place, frankly.

Keep it rolling!

Lapides

Veteran
:) looking awesome
Thanks bro! Hope to have you here for the long haul.
Good shit, Lapides. Those are some big Casey's!

Recycled soil is where it's at for me. It gets better with time and it's cheap as shit. Hell, with those big beds you can pull off a no-till and save yourself the hassle of emptying them and globally re-amending. But as it stands with just reusing them I am sure you will like what you see.

You said you added back all of the amendments at 1/2 the rate... does that include the EWC too or do you consider that part of your base mix that you amend? Reason I ask is adding compost back is more important than anything else. Bone meal breaks down pretty slow, so does greensand, so you can likely go lower with those two. There's no need to add back lime, or even add it in the first place, frankly.

Keep it rolling!

Thanks for stopping by man. Yes, I re-added EWC. The original mix consisted of 20 gallons EWC, i re-added 10 gallons. Is that enough, or should I have added back the same 20?

brotherindica

Kronically Ill
Veteran
Got my popcorn and taking a front row seat.
lurk.gif
biggrin.gif

For no scrog experience, you're doing a very nice job. I usually let nodes grow through the screen several inches, then try to weave them back down/over to a new space or hole in the screen. For a 9-10 week strain I usually train until day 14ish, roughly till the stretch slows. For a 10-11 week strain I usually train till day 20-21.

As for the UK cheese leaves, not really sure. Can't say I've ever seen it, but it doesn't look too bad or to have spread far. I'll take a look around, see if anything looks similar.

Those Casey's are some fat girls! Looks like a really nice haul and well scrogged too.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Thanks for stopping by man. Yes, I re-added EWC. The original mix consisted of 20 gallons EWC, i re-added 10 gallons. Is that enough, or should I have added back the same 20?

Nah, that's fine.

The leaf issues you're having with the LA Con and Cheese, is it on lower growth or new growth specifically or is it all over the place? Any other pics of it?

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Hey Lapides.
Diggin this setup.

What ya gonna do for your post-harvest workout now that you aren't gonna haul 600 gallons of mix out every time?

Curious what kind of veg time you had with those CJs to get them to that size. They're looking nice.

Seismic

Hey Lap, in for the start on this. Cool stuff trying to reuse the soil, much more responsible than throwing out every single run. Good luck dude.

Medium Pimpin'

Ask Beavis, I Get Nothing Butt Head
Veteran
looking good so far bro!
i just started recycling myself.
i have 2 girls a few weeks in a reammended, cooked mix.
they look good so far, we'll see.
i'm interested in this no till, what is that all about?

Lapides

Veteran
Got my popcorn and taking a front row seat. View Image View Image

For no scrog experience, you're doing a very nice job. I usually let nodes grow through the screen several inches, then try to weave them back down/over to a new space or hole in the screen. For a 9-10 week strain I usually train until day 14ish, roughly till the stretch slows. For a 10-11 week strain I usually train till day 20-21.

As for the UK cheese leaves, not really sure. Can't say I've ever seen it, but it doesn't look too bad or to have spread far. I'll take a look around, see if anything looks similar.

Those Casey's are some fat girls! Looks like a really nice haul and well scrogged too.
Hey F.A.M., I appreciate you coming through. It looks like if I get another 6-8 inches of stretch in the next week or so, the screens should be filled out for the most part. I had the same idea that you suggested about how long to train. Pretty much until they're done stretching.

Nah, that's fine.

The leaf issues you're having with the LA Con and Cheese, is it on lower growth or new growth specifically or is it all over the place? Any other pics of it?
It's really not all over the place. I looked tonight and it hasn't seemed to have spread. I think I'm just being hypercritical since the recycled thing is new for me. I did take a couple more pics tonight of the problem though:
Cheese
picture.php

I don't know what I was aiming at here, but you can see the problem off to the left a little.
LACon
picture.php

Thanks for following along. Glad to have someone with a little experience in recycling looking over my shoulder:tiphat:.

Hey Lapides.
Diggin this setup.

What ya gonna do for your post-harvest workout now that you aren't gonna haul 600 gallons of mix out every time?

Curious what kind of veg time you had with those CJs to get them to that size. They're looking nice.
Hey man, long time no see! I don't know what I'll do for a post-harvest workout. Maybe just take a nap :biglaugh:
The CJ's were vegged for, geez, I'm not sure, probably 2 - 2.5 months or so.

Hey Lap, in for the start on this. Cool stuff trying to reuse the soil, much more responsible than throwing out every single run. Good luck dude.

Hey buddy, it's great to be seeing you again. I hope to have you around for the long haul :ying:

This is where the cool peeps hang. Everything looks tight. PP

Then you, sir, are in the right place.

looking good so far bro!
i just started recycling myself.
i have 2 girls a few weeks in a reammended, cooked mix.
they look good so far, we'll see.
i'm interested in this no till, what is that all about?
What's up MP, I'm glad to have you hear brother. I really am not sure what the term no-till mean yet either. Hopefully rasputin will drop by again and explain.

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Looking good man.

Those CJ's look fucking epic!

I gotta add some kelp to my mix next run...

And I may have to get on the SCrog bandwagon.

Keep it up!

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
What's up MP, I'm glad to have you hear brother. I really am not sure what the term no-till mean yet either. Hopefully rasputin will drop by again and explain.

No-till just means planting directly into the soil without disturbing it. No tillage/re-mixing/turning over.

At the end of flower you just chop down the plants, make a hole for the new plant, careful not to mess up too much of the existing dirt, fire it in the hole and keep on rolling.

Lapides

Veteran
Looking good man.

Those CJ's look fucking epic!

I gotta add some kelp to my mix next run...

And I may have to get on the SCrog bandwagon.

Keep it up!
Artie! What's crackin old friend? Thanks for adding to my thread. I really like kelp, it's been in the dirt mix I use for awhile now. It's just kinda expensive and they dont come in big bags anymore.

i'm in for the ride, peace lap :)
Hey, it's my brother from another mother! So glad to have you along for the ride.

No-till just means planting directly into the soil without disturbing it. No tillage/re-mixing/turning over.

At the end of flower you just chop down the plants, make a hole for the new plant, careful not to mess up too much of the existing dirt, fire it in the hole and keep on rolling.
Thanks for the explanation. So, these no till people, they never add back any ammendments? I'm curious as to how the herd stays fed. I'm not sure I have the balls to attempt a no-till. This recycled thing is easy as pie enough for me, and so far I am loving the results.

The leaf problem with the cheese and lacon hasn't gotten worse. All the new growth seems very healthy and green. Like I said, so far I am stoked on the recycled thing.

I'm not sure if my screens are going to fill all the way in. I still have a little more stretch to go I think, so it will be close. I'm still getting a feel for growing fewer plants with a longer veg time. I used to do 12-20 plants per 1kW, I'm down to 2-5 plants per 1kW. I may just end up going back to what I know best.

Some pics. 12 days since the flip -

UK Cheese -
picture.php

SSH -
picture.php

LDawg -
picture.php

picture.php

Lapides

Veteran
18 days in. I am DEFINITELY very pleased with reusing this dirt.
People keep saying it gets even better with more time.
Boy, I can't wait.
This shit is easy as pie.
Buds are forming nicely.
Catching some beautiful aromas from the LaCon and the SSH already.
Resin is forming too.
I CANNOT complain for less than 3 weeks in.

J1VQRo0.jpg

45l7plp.jpg

CQnzVYM.jpg

Gkti2CY.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts