What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

negative37dBa's NL & Chemdog grow

negative37dBA

Veteran
Hi all. Time already for another grow diary. This will be my final of the year. Going to take some time off and PLAY.
So I have 1 Chemdog clone from my mom and I have 1 Northern Lights clone from my mom. These are both bagseed finds from long ago that I turned into moms. The Chemdog I ran last year and it was great. It's been so long I cannot remmember when I ran the NL last.
Will start with some early formalities.
The flower room is about 4.5'x5'x7'. Dual 400 watt digital aircooled lighting, mixed spectrum. Air Out, Can 50 with 6", 303 CFM fantech. Air In, Filtered, temperature controlled air supply with a 303 CFM fantech 6". More details on the room can be found in my other diaries.
Flowering pots are 3.5 gallon and I use a soiless mix. Advanced Nutrients Sensi A&B is all I use for nutes with R/O water.
Moms, more than just NL & CD.
picture.php

Roots, I use a DIY Aero cloner.
picture.php

Clones growing up. CD on left. NL on right.
picture.php

Getting some size. NL on left. CD on right.
picture.php

First day in the flower room.
picture.php

The NL is looking a bit rough. These both had a VERY long veg time. Had some timming issues and these ended up vegging for...get this...70 days. Topped an uncountable # of times to stay within cab hieght limits.
Made for some slightly root bound balls. The NL is looking sooo much better now. Getting used to the new size pots and increased light/room. That rather large veg time made for alotta heads though. Nice and even as well. Cola train comming!

Last edited:

negative37dBA

Veteran
Day 1 of flowering! Yeah.

Day 1 of flowering! Yeah.

Made the flip this AM. Lights out ladies. The Chemdog is rocking along quite well.
Chemdog.
picture.php

Northern Lights. The NL is comming around. She really likes the nute levels high. 600 PPM already with Advanced Nutrients A&B Grow.
picture.php

Gee, only about 64 days or so to go!

negative37dBA

Veteran
Are those moms in the white pots?!!! OMG look at their awesome trunks! They are totally bonsai.... :joint:

Yes sir they are. Bonsai style all the way. Some are well over a year old. Getting some twisted FAT trunks. I keep them small. I only need a handfull of clones now and again so this style made sense. Plus they are fun to work with. Might be some doubters about how many clones you can pull off such small moms. I have taken as many as 15 at a time off a sinlge mom and there still plenty left for new growth. More that sufficient for my needs.
Thanks again.

thor

Outdoor Grower, C99 Lover
ICMag Donor
These moms look stunning, tree-like trunks! I will be following this thread, your ladies will overgrow the space in no time. Are you going to replant these in bigger pots?

negative37dBA

Veteran
These moms look stunning, tree-like trunks! I will be following this thread, your ladies will overgrow the space in no time. Are you going to replant these in bigger pots?

Thanks for the nice comments.
Are you refering to the Moms or the 2 flowering plants?
The flowering plants are in thier final pots. They will not overgrow the space.
The Moms always stay in those size pots. I root prune about 2-3 times a year. These will not overgrow the space either. Have been there for a year plus now.
Do not mean to sound harsh at all.
Appreciate you following along.
Is it not common to have Bonsai style moms? I get alot of comments on here everytime I post a picture of them. I learned this style from a UK grower called OldTimer 1...not directly, but through another site. It kicks ass as far as maintenance and having multiple genetics availble at any time.

I have never kept one Mom before, I usually take a bunch of cuts off a plant. Then after it recovers and bushes out throw her into flower. Then after the cuts grow up I keep one as the Mom and flower a whole round. Now I am going to try your way because they just look soooooooooooo COOL!!!

negative37dBA

Veteran
I have never kept one Mom before, I usually take a bunch of cuts off a plant. Then after it recovers and bushes out throw her into flower. Then after the cuts grow up I keep one as the Mom and flower a whole round. Now I am going to try your way because they just look soooooooooooo COOL!!!

Thanks for that, they are fun.
Yes, what ever works for your particular style is great.
If I start from seed:
I crack them, plant them, let them grow to show sex.
May or may not keep males, let females veg for a bit then take at least 2 cuttings off each one.
Go ahead and flower all the vegged seedlings.
Start the process of LSTing the pairs of little clones.
Decide after flower which phenotype is best/keeper and then keep those 2 coresponding clones.
Pick out the strongest lookng one and mom/bonsai it.
Boom, done and another strain is available for growing at anytime. It's not really boom and your done...its a process.
Well worth it though as I believe having a variety of high quality strains to medicate with is the best way to go.
A couple pictures. What a difference a day can make. Northern is really picking up steam. Under Metal Halide.
picture.php

The Chem is loving that light. Under HPS.
picture.php

So just a few potential flowering heads eh? I have counted. The Northern has apprx 29 major heads. The Chem beleive it or not has more than that. Loving that 70 day vegatative growth time. I like to try to predict yield. I may have hurt myself a bit by not going 5 gallon on the pots. 7oz's for the Chem & 6oz's for the NL.
So I just cannot help myself. I am thinking of putting a little sprinkle of the Super Silver Haze pollen I have on that Chemdog. Super Silver Chemdog Haze sounds real nice.
just 1 small branch for a hanfdfull of experimentals for later. I just find it so fun. I will break out that little pollen jar in a couple weeks. Been in a frozen environment since 2006. Only been out 3 times for usage in crosses in all that time. 1 was my recent SSGoo grow. It is worth a read if you have the time. Its in a link at the bottom of my post.

A

Alone

Great looking ChemD! Ive never smoked or smelled ChemD before. Would love to try it out 1 day.
Once I get my other T-5, I will be able to veg my clones and LST them around the rim of the pots as they grow for 8 weeks before I flip them. I want all 40 plants to look like your Chem, my brother NEG. Its so perfect looking.

This pic of your Chem D reminds me of an article I read about how to do a 10lb plant outdoors.
If you wanted to grow a 10lb plant outdoors you would keep topping all those heads again and again while vegging it indoors for 5 months, then put it outside in the ground on May 1st in a hole 4 feet deep x 10' radius filled with good soil. I guess by harvest time you'l have a bush 10 feet in diameter and like 10 feet tall just packed with buds. The pic they had of theres was rediculous. The people looked tiny and the mane stalk was as thick as my forearm.

Thanx for all your help and advice on trying to increase my yields and get a better quality garden. Im excited even more for this next grow.
Ill know the sex by next week of the 2 Cheesedogs I have. The 2 Fuels are males. I would love to be able to take 8 clones of the Cheesedogs to add to the other 32 C+'s this run.

Last edited:

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Nice looking plants mang. Looking at your pics and what you wrote made me think of my chemdog i grew outdoors. It had like 68 tops i could count. Man i loved that plant.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Thanx for all your help and advice on trying to increase my yields and get a better quality garden. Im excited even more for this next grow.
Ill know the sex by next week of the 2 Cheesedogs I have. The 2 Fuels are males. I would love to be able to take 8 clones of the Cheesedogs to add to the other 32 C+'s this run.

Really appreciate the positive comments. You know you are doing something right when you start to have a influence on other growers. When people mimic your style that is a compliment all in itself. I certainly did NOT invent this technique..I have just found what works best for my particular style and needs.(few numbers, larger plants, high yield, fairly low wattage)
I have another friend from the net that started with a 600 watt in a bat wing, no filter and passive intake. He is seeing the results I am achieving and has completley switched over to 2 aircooled hoods with 600 watts each, mixed spectrum, 6 inch, 465 cfm exhaust. Now he is grilling me about my nutrients and procudures. Love it when people actually get the results they are looking for by making a switch. I have no problem giving advice. I am amazed at how many do not take it. The only issue is that not everyone will get the same results, there are just too many variables.
Like I said in your Critical+ grow. You have nalied it with your ideas about vegging simultaneously with flower to achieve similar results. I am going to do the same thing when I start back up. The results speak for themselves.
Good luck, things are looking good with your GDP.

thor

Outdoor Grower, C99 Lover
ICMag Donor
Wow, talk about good light intensity and penetration - the Chemdog is extremely bushy! I really like the look of your garden, soon you may need a wire cage to support all the colas!

Thanks for the explanation, I was asking about the flowering ones - I found that more roots = more buds, with coco being the medium requiring a bit less volume. Did you try upping up the pot's size in your previous grows?

negative37dBA

Veteran
Wow, talk about good light intensity and penetration - the Chemdog is extremely bushy! I really like the look of your garden, soon you may need a wire cage to support all the colas!

Thanks for the explanation, I was asking about the flowering ones - I found that more roots = more buds, with coco being the medium requiring a bit less volume. Did you try upping up the pot's size in your previous grows?

Thanks there. With only 2 plants, each 1 gets its own light and they like it! The bamboo will work untill they get taller. I like bamboo. I have some 4 footers that I will use if they need it.
I like larger pots as well.
You are right about more roots equals more meds. I have been using the 3.5 gallons with good results but I think with this size of plants I would be better off in 5 gallons.
I will most likely move up to those next time. I am finding that for me a couple very large plants makes more sence. I can yield plenty(for me) and the plants can get really well cared for as there are only 2.
End of week 1 update comming tommorrow with some pictures.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Great looking ChemD! Ive never smoked or smelled ChemD before. Would love to try it out 1 day.
Once I get my other T-5, I will be able to veg my clones and LST them around the rim of the pots as they grow for 8 weeks before I flip them. I want all 40 plants to look like your Chem, my brother NEG. Its so perfect looking.

This pic of your Chem D reminds me of an article I read about how to do a 10lb plant outdoors.
If you wanted to grow a 10lb plant outdoors you would keep topping all those heads again and again while vegging it indoors for 5 months, then put it outside in the ground on May 1st in a hole 4 feet deep x 10' radius filled with good soil. I guess by harvest time you'l have a bush 10 feet in diameter and like 10 feet tall just packed with buds. The pic they had of theres was rediculous. The people looked tiny and the mane stalk was as thick as my forearm.

Hey there Alone. I am not sure if you noticed but I moved all the bamboo stakes to an outward angle. This allowed me to pull all the outside branches to the bamboo creating much more space/light in the center. I then used a few bamboo staked in the center to position those branches exactly where I wanted them. Even light distribution and minimal shading are the goals. After 3 days like this growth on the inside has really taken off. Hence the bush look. Some trimming down low to keep that all clear. She's ready to PRODUCE.
Just keeping you updated on exactly what I am doing.
Cannot belive you have not hit the Chemdog. Your kinda missing out.

negative37dBA

Veteran
End of week 1. Day 7 of flower.

End of week 1. Day 7 of flower.

Things are moving along quite nicely with these 2 ladies. Stretch does not seem to bad and they are shaping up to be a couple big yielders.
On the Advanced A&B sensi bloom now at about 300 ppm's. The leaves are really reaching towards the lights.
Environment has been...well...perfect. 74-78 lights on, 68.5-72 lights off.
They have REALLY taken off with the increased lighting. The Chemdog is 32" wide by 30" high already.
Heres a couple pictures of the results from last time I ran this Chemdog. Nice. Much more experienced now with my nutrients and we will not be seeing any tip burn.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Current shots. The Chemdog. 24" tape for reference. Looking pretty sweet.
picture.php

I have no previous pictures of the Northern Lights. We will go with what you see now is what you get. The Northern Lights. Same 24" tape.
picture.php

I am real happy with the way this is going. I have lots of room to attend to them and that always helps out with yield. I will be doing weekly updates just so you all know. Thinking I will flower these right around 8 weeks maximum. I pulled the Chem at 56 days last time and it was great. I have been letting things go a bit longer lately(77 days)and it can be a little to much knock out couch lock at times. Try and keep this 1 a bit more upity. In fact I can really tell this last round is a knockout. I get slow and easily confused at times when I smoke alot of it. Makes it hard to concentrate and I just feel like the lazyboy is my best friend. Not a bad thing, but want some variation at times. Have a great weekend everyone.

Latest posts

Latest posts