What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

negative37dBA's Afgooey grow.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Day 42. Have reached the end of week 6

Day 42. Have reached the end of week 6

Listening to some Godsmack this AM, Keep Away, circa 1999, love the old goods. Yo, never misunderstand me!
Things are moving along well. The only exception being the discovery of a small handfull of nanners on SSG#2. I plucked them and there has been no return of any additional ones. I explained it in a earlier post.
The room is wall to wall now. Odors are really strong as soon as I crack the door. That brings a smile to my face.
Some noticable differences are occuring. Smoking the final product will factor into all these decisions. You can only go so much by looks
AFGX2. The trichome master and has that perfect smell. Fruit, sweet, candy, perfume. Nice size buds and minimal stretching. I already have a mom of the AFG so this was a test to see if there were any good differences in backcrossing it to itself.
SSG#1. The best yielder, buds filling out very nicely. The low girl on the visable trichome scale. Smell is nice but very subdued/different than the AFG. Probably my 4th pick out of 4. I would consider this one a good commercial type high yielding strain...but not for me.
SSG#2. Excellent trichome production. Lots of the Haze comming through in the growth patterns. Smell is a very close second to the AFGX2. I think the lowest yielder of the 4. Never fails...the one you want to be the keeper is the lowest yielder but looking best right now. Wider spaced bud sites and very stretchy. Likes lower nute levels than the other 3. This may be a good outdoor plant if it has a acceptable finishing time. It would get huge without topping(10'+). This is the one I predict will be the keeper.
SSG#3. The middle of the road. Good/very good all around. Bud size, smell and trich production are just that. Right in the middle of the others. Will not keep this one unless the smoke is much better than the look.
I have kept a real tight watch on my PH over the last 2 waterings but I still am getting some horizontal leaf twist thats bugging me. It seems worse on the lower light deprived flowers. Its too tight in here. So its on to trying a bit of Mg with the next watering/feeding. If someone has some real ideas of whats causing it chime in.
Started to bring down the PPM today(475)...still have some slight tip burn dammit. First time I have run these and they need less food than the original AFG..alot less.
Ok on to some pictures. 1 Note. Its getting hard to get good angles and pictures because of the crowding. Hope you understand.
Full room. Getting crowded.
picture.php

SSG#1
picture.php

SSG#2
picture.php

SSG#3
picture.php

AFGX2
picture.php

negative37dBA

Veteran
Day 49. Have reached end of week 7.

Day 49. Have reached end of week 7.

Things are looking real well. I feel a excitment building. Tops are filling in nicely and everything is starting to connect. Way to crowded so the lowers will suffer a bit but that will be corrected next time.
The smell has changed a bit. From that sweet, candy, fruit, perfume to a more sinister, nasty, funk, dank smell. Kind of gets your attention, like whoa this is something serious.
Bringing down the nutrients to around 125 PPM or so. Tappering down in atincipation of the flush. I use Advanced's Final Phase for those last flushings.
I have experimented with increasing the dark period with these 4. I am close to 11 on/13 off now. Adding a couple mins a day to slowly get there.
Man am I the only 1 who is just a whore to the smell of your own meds growing. Touch here, touch there, touch everywhere. Dam I am addicted. This is the spot were pictures fail ...description of smell.
Minimum of about 2 weeks to go probably more like 3. Loving it. Had to cane the SSG#2 with 4 footers. It was falling all over itself like a drunk girl. Took me almost an hour with a med break. I tried some new, at least to me, velcro plant tape if you will. Smooth on the plant side it sticks to itself on the outside, is removable, adjustable and reusable. I really like it and its cheap to!
Some pics. Day 49 whole room.
picture.php

picture.php

The SSG#2, AKA the "keeper". Yield if this one had some room to itself would be exceptional.
picture.php

SSG#1 Good but not a keeper. I will wait to sample it.
picture.php

negative37dBA

Veteran
:respect:
Thats awesome.

Thanks for that.
Thought I would give a smoke report at 6 weeks for SSG#2. (Super Silver Haze x Afgooey). If you want to go back further thats NLxHazexSkunk(SSH)xAfganixMaui Haze(Afgooey)
I pulled several of the lowest smallest branches at week 6. Was making some more room and they were never going to amount to anything anyway.
Set them on my intake filter for a week and smoked them today.
Very nice for 6 weeks. Noticed a flavor right away and thats unuaual for me...I am a big smell guy and could usually care less about taste. Fruity taste...very subtle.
Took about 3 hits off my bong and went on a walk with my hounds.
I am happy. Its more uppitty than the MKU but its cut early so that may change.
Wonderful Saturday here with the bright blue sky and all..real happy.
Did I mention that I am happy.
Smoking MKU exclusively for 4 to 5 months now.
What a happy change.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Mom T-5HO cab light failed

Mom T-5HO cab light failed

So I woke up this AM and went to check on my moms. I opened the cab and went why the F! is that so dark. 1 light was non-operational.
I run 2, T-5HO Sun Blaze 2 footers. 1 was not working. So great time for a little DIY repair.
Now this is not my first electrical work so if you do not feel comfortable don't do it. This ones cake though.
I know these ballasts fail from time to time so guess what? I have a couple spares!!! They are the Fulham Workhorse 5. WH5-120-L.
They are great replacement for a wide variety of fluros. This one happens to be the exact one thats in the Sun Blazes I have.
So a very simple about 10 step process that will have me back up and running on my own in about a 1/2 hour. Also for only about $21.00 and my labor/fun.
Here is the ballast you need.
picture.php

1. Turn off the power to the fixture.
2. Remove the bulbs and reflector. 8 phillips screws.
picture.php

3. Remove your ballast. 2 simple bolts and nuts.
picture.php

4. Cut wires. Make note of what goes where.
5. Rewire sockets. Pull out old wire carefully and install newly stripped wire. You will have to remove the 2 bolts holding the socket plate down.
picture.php

picture.php

negative37dBA

Veteran
6. Rewire the other connections. Use quality connectors.
7. Reinstall ballast and end connectors.
picture.php

8. Reinstall reflector.
9. Put bulbs in.
10. Turn on power and GO!
Now thats more like it 192 Watts of T-5HO.. sweet.
picture.php

Always love a good DIY. For me it feels good. Time for a few bowls of the MKU. Moms were without there full light for about an hour after I noticed it. With pictures and all. Totally doable for most folks.

A

Alone

Nice DIY Negative37dBA.
My 4' x 4 bulb T-5HO zapped out 1 day and it was 3 weeks old.
Girls were in the dark for around 6 hours before I noticed it. I heard something when I was sleeping that sounded like electric zapping but wasnt sure and stayed in bed.

Luckily I was able to bring it back and get it replaced for free. If it ever happens again and I cant bring it back again, I will def remember this post and use it to fix my T-5. This was a very helpfull post brother.... $21.00?... sweet.... TYVM.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Nice DIY Negative37dBA.
My 4' x 4 bulb T-5HO zapped out 1 day and it was 3 weeks old.
Girls were in the dark for around 6 hours before I noticed it. I heard something when I was sleeping that sounded like electric zapping but wasnt sure and stayed in bed.

Luckily I was able to bring it back and get it replaced for free. If it ever happens again and I cant bring it back again, I will def remember this post and use it to fix my T-5. This was a very helpfull post brother.... $21.00?... sweet.... TYVM.

Thanks for that. Really helpfull when you do not have a shop near you or you just will not go into one(like me).
You were questioning the $21.00? Thats what I paid for 1 of the Fulhams on mail order about 1 year ago.

Getting excited for my end of 8 weeks update. The buds are swelling nicely here near the end and the smell is amazing! Have been trying some samples and man I like!

Green Devil

Nice grow man!
How could I've missed this one...

How do you get the stem so thick and firm?
Strain dependent or do you have a special technique?

negative37dBA

Veteran
Nice grow man!
How could I've missed this one...

How do you get the stem so thick and firm?
Strain dependent or do you have a special technique?

Thanks for that.
59 days of veg from seed with 3 to 4 toppings each and near perfect room environment equals FAT stalks.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Ok, I was planning 6 weeks of veg.
But I might extend that now that I read this!

I'll be following along!

As far as nutes and medium. I use a slightly modified FFOF and Advanced Sensi A&B Grow & Bloom.
I use R/O water and keep my PH tight at 6.30.
800(2x400) watts of mixed spectrum(1MH, 1HPS) aircooled digital lighting.
Sunmaster Cool Deluxe MH & a SolarMax HPS, although I am switching up next run with another Sunmaster in Warm Deluxe MH.
Temps stay @ under 77F Lights On. 68.5F Lights Off(heated)
These admittedly went too long in veg for my room. 35 days or so would have been enough. Like I said I topped them 3 or 4 times. The big girl is 55" tall and around 48" across.
Thanks for watching.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Have reached end of week 8. Day 56

Have reached end of week 8. Day 56

Time for that weekly update.

Musics kind of important to me. Some stuff I am listening to.
Godsmack, Voodoo "and I feel the snakebite enter my viens"
Rob Zombie, Thunderkiss '65 "Livin fast and dying young like a endless poetry"
Nirvanna, Polly "Let me take a ride cut your self....want some help please myself"
Rage, Album, Renegades "Pistiol grip pump on my lap at all times...They can be fucking with other niggas shit, but they cant be fucking with mine"
Smashing Pumkins, Bullet With Buttefly Wings "Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage"
Metallica, Battery "Pounding out aggresion...turns into obsession...cannot kill the battery"
Alice in Chains, Lane & Mike RIP. 4-5-02. 3-8-11. Still pisses me off.

Not much new, just chugging along putting on some beef and really creating a funk about the room. Kinda on auto pilot. I just throw some water on them now and again.
Nutes are down to nothing and will be starting Advanced's Final Phase this watering. Starting to yellow out a bit.
I am pretty sure they all will go 10 weeks.
Not really much esle to say except its going to be a great harvest.
Whole room Day 56.
picture.php

AFGX2...mmm so frosty white.
picture.php

SSG#1.
picture.php

SSG#2
picture.php

Another 1 of the Trichome Queen. AFGX2 I wanna eat some of those little leaves.
picture.php

negative37dBA

Veteran
Have reached end of week 9. Day 63.

Have reached end of week 9. Day 63.

Were in the home stretch. Things are going along well as usual. Been flushing with Advanced's Final Phase and some real cool colors are comming out in them. Especially SSG#2, all kinds of purple/chocolate in the leaves. Been taking a few of the lower branches off now and again. Testing has been quite nice. Looking forward to taking these beasts down in a week or so.
The new girls are anxious to take thier place in the flower room. Out growing the cab daily.
Going to do a full clean down between runs. Hoods, glass and ducting along with the entire room will be bleached down. No problems...just do not want any. Doing a bulb change as well as both of these have over a year on them of 12/12 and some 24/0. I am going with the same type of Cool Deluxe Sunmaster that I ran before. I am changing out the HPS I use for a Warm Deluxe Sunmaster. They should like that combo of 1 Warm and 1 Cool Deluxe.
Some pics. Here is the whole room day 63.
picture.php

AFGX2.
picture.php

AFGX2.
picture.php

SSG#2. In the back with the purple/chocolate colors.
picture.php

Should be around 1(10wks) more week, it may take 2(11wks) though. Does not really matter. They will tell me when it's tme.
A little batch of taste testers.
picture.php

Lifebreather

Veteran
Simply beautiful, Neg.

Those long branches are completely covered in buds, looks like it'll yield a mint.

A

Alone

Music is important to me too brother.
I seen White Zombie when they first came out at a very small bar in Conn. called Katinas. Which then changed to the Vortex or something like that.
ThunderKiss 65 was my favorite song on MTV at the time, so I went and seen them on 2 hits of white blodder and had an 1/8th of 1989 Skunk #1.

Was so trippin, that I kept ripping the paper in the bathroom as I was trying to roll one. Had super sticky skunk pieces all over my fingers and it was falling on the bathroom floor (which I left for someone else to pick up...YUK!) and I just had to wait until I sat down at a table and had someone else roll a couple jibs for me.
I actually was tripping so hard that Rob Zombie was standing right next to me talking on the phone and I wanted to thank him for inspiring me to be a lyric writer and singer by offering to smoke these superb buds with he and the hott bass player blonde chick, but couldnt even talk. (besides, I had on a green hoodie with lighter green stripes on it and I felt like a cucumber when I seen myself in the mirror. LOL
Ive been writing poetry/lyrics for music ever since. About 300 songs I wrote so far.

Last edited:

negative37dBA

Veteran
Thanks for that Lifebreather. You are the reason I have a Afgooey mom so much appreciation.
Alone that sounds so cool. So neat to be a song writer. I got to see Alice and Rage at 1 of the Lollapalooza's back in the day.
Frankenstein2, she is a super nice smoke. Very uppy for a bit then drags you down to the couch. Very berry/fruity smelliing. Should be great after some cure.
I hardly EVER get stoned with other people. I am a solo steath grower. I do have a friend or 2 that I do outdoors things with and we get high together. I tried to slipped a bit of the SSG in the bowl the other day. The moment I opened the jar he was like what the F*** is that smell! Told him I had scored some real nice meds at the Club. He must have went on for a hour about how good it was. Me laughing inside knowing all the time its just my little homegrown.

A

Alone

Wow Negative37dBA, we have so much in common. Im a solo smoker and grower with 2 friends I smoke with and their brothers. There african american too.
Black folks are cool to smoke and chill with. We put on beats and freestyle rap and stuff. Its alot of fun.
Dude was rolling a blunt of some PowerPlant today and I was talking with 1, and the smell hit my nose after he opened the jar I didnt notice, and I was like "WOW, smell that good weed?" He got a chuckle out of it. I usually dont smoke blunts but I didnt refuse.
These are the brothers Im doing my OD autos with this summer. Cool kats man.