What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plasma + LED w/ Mr. Bongjangles

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whatup playas? Time to diary up my new little hobby tent and find out just what virtually heat-free plasma & LED can do together :D

picture.php

Now as any good sloth would be, I'm kinda lazy about the picture taking and grow sharing thing, but, erryone wants to see this combo in action and I want to show what is possible too, as I've seen the LEP used to supplement HPS or used alone, but I've not seen a grow log with LED to supplement the red spectrum that plasma lacks relative to HPS.

My hope is that this combination can compete with HPS lighting watt for watt, with no heat to deal with, and potentially deliver superior bud thanks to the full spectrum of the plasma light that includes the good types of UV and all that goodness plants expect from the sun. We'll see!

Details... We're rocking a 300w Gavita LEP plasma light, with 2 85w Kessil H350 Magenta LEDs. In a 4x4 Secret Jardin Dark Room II, cooled with an adjustable 6'' Canfan Max Fan (virtualy silent on low with muffler and filter attached) and a 6'' CanLite filter, Can's alternative to granular carbon based filters like Phresh.

picture.php

Medium is Botanicare coco + perlite, and nutrients are Dynagrow with a PK booster in the 2nd half of flower, either Pure Flowers I need to finish off or Dry Koolbloom which I prefer. 5 gallon buckets.

The plants in this first run are a mixed bunch... A ChemD x C99 from head seeds, Guava, the breeder cut of Stardawg (Chem Dawg4 X Tres Dawg (Double Dawg X Chem Dawg)), and 2 random plants that came from seeds found in Casey Jones, likely self'd but maybe Casey x Geisha.

None of these plants are crazy on the yield tip, but all should hold their own, with the ChemD x c99 and R2 on the lower end of things. If I had a run of just these strains under a 1K, I would definitely expect 1-1.5 lbs or more, so yeah, a little math tells me to maintain a similar GPW, I need to see 315 grams (.67 x 470w.) Not pushing for it, really interested in the quality over quantity with this setup, but it's good to have a quantified goal in mind.

Anyways, yesterday was day 1 of 12/12 for these ladies, here's some pics.

Canopy -
picture.php

Canopy left -
picture.php

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More day 1 pics, booooo 5 pic per post limit, hehe.

D99 -
picture.php

R1 -
picture.php

R2 -
picture.php

Guava -
picture.php

Thanks for droppin' by homies! Feel free to drop some feedback positive or negative, pictures of sloths or cats or boobies, or just pull up a chair and enjoy the show! :wave:

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wattuppers brother,ill be tagged up to see how them LED's treat ya.
they throw some cool color in the room thts fasho...
if that 1st pic is a pic of u,i pictured u taller :muahaha:
peace-T-

Dysnomia

Looking sharp and healthy! Nice array of genetics as well! Never heard of anything Guava but if it smells and tastes anything like the fruit I guess you're going to have a nice treat!
You can definitely count me in for the ride! Never seen a plasma lamp in action before, especially supplemented by LEDs!

Good luck! :lurk:

Regards,
Dysnomia:tiphat:

BrownThumb

Those LEP's are bucks! No heat whatsoever? I kind of wish you were doing this under the LEP only so we could see how it does by itself.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wattuppers brother,ill be tagged up to see how them LED's treat ya.
they throw some cool color in the room thts fasho...
if that 1st pic is a pic of u,i pictured u taller :muahaha:
peace-T-

LOL brotha thanks for droppin in!

mr bong in this bitch

:tiphat:

nice setup

Thanks dude! :wave:

Looking sharp and healthy! Nice array of genetics as well! Never heard of anything Guava but if it smells and tastes anything like the fruit I guess you're going to have a nice treat!
You can definitely count me in for the ride! Never seen a plasma lamp in action before, especially supplemented by LEDs!

Good luck! :lurk:

Regards,
Dysnomia

Thanks for the kind words man! Guava is a breeder pheno of StarDawg by TopDawg seeds which is JJ NYC's gear. Background info I was too lazy to look up last night, hehe.

Plants appear happy enough. Perhaps a touch more blue would have the leafs reaching up towards the light.

How much was that plasma?

Happy for now, concerned about finding the right feeding level for the new setup and stuff but we'll see how it goes together.

They did just get transplanted the night before those pics, so they are still recovering a bit I imagine, maybe they will reach up more soon? I kinda like to see them stretching out horizontally myself, but you seem to understand spectrum reaction better than me.

The plasma light was $1200 USD. Definitely expensive, but I really can't deal with extra noise and heat, already at my limits there, so exploring some of the more-expensive-but-lower-heat options made this grow possible in the first place.

Very nice man. Happy to see your still doing your thing. Subbed.

Hey dude, nice to see ya!

Those LEP's are bucks! No heat whatsoever? I kind of wish you were doing this under the LEP only so we could see how it does by itself.

Nah, it definitely throws a little heat, but you can totally touch the glass and keep your hand directly under it all day if you'd like. The heat sink thing above the bulb gets pretty hot though - not like scar you hot but you don't want to touch it randomly, hehe.

Overall, its a ridiculously low level of heat and the fan on its lowest setting (200cfm) is easily keeping the tent at room temperature despite just exhausting into the room. Keep in mind though, its in a room with my larger flowering tent that exhausts air out of the room entirely, so that tiny bit of heat never has a chance to build up. To illustrate it another way, its even cooler than the veg tent sitting next to it with less watts (165 of LED and 125 CFL = 290 total) and a similar amount of airflow. Really impressive to me!

There's some grows out there with the LEP alone, but the spectrum is just not proper for flowering as even the manufacturers will admit. They suggest it is for veg or supplementing HPS. Hopefully these LEDs add enough of the red the plants need to flower properly. If this all fails though, at least I will have a baller veg light :D

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
Can't wait to see how this turns out! I saw a grow on another site where the guy used the higher wattage model and kicked some serious ass yield/quality-wise. Hoping you experience the same!

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
drooling over here, wish I had that light. nice clean setup, lets see the story unfold

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
ill have to drop in and see how the show progresses! best wishes with your new venture :joint:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ill have to drop in and see how the show progresses! best wishes with your new venture :joint:

Thanks brotha! :wave:

drooling over here, wish I had that light. nice clean setup, lets see the story unfold

Right? I've been wanting one of these lil' guys since discussion of them began years ago! Re-did the whole room and ended up with space for the 4x4 tent but no desire to add extra heat or noise. Perfect justification to spend stupid money on the plasma & led lights, hehe.

grabbing a chair, this will be intresting :lurk:

Right on brotha, thanks for stoppin' in!

Can't wait to see how this turns out! I saw a grow on another site where the guy used the higher wattage model and kicked some serious ass yield/quality-wise. Hoping you experience the same!

Yeah those high watt ones are beasts! Thanks for the kind words man, definitely got some high hopes myself. Some doubts too but its all in the game, LOL.

Tagged,
watch yourself with UV mate, worse for ya than most realise.

Right on brotha, I'll keep that in mind! Just spent a few minutes reading up on the specific dangers and yeah it sounds like the same precautions one takes for intense sunlight are needed, especially for the UVA that the sun makes but never reaches our skin because the atmosphere blocks it.

On the plus side, the glass is a type designed to filter the especially dangerous UVC.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
UVA not only penetrates the atmosphere but also glass due to its long wave length. It also then penetrates right down to the bottom layers of the skin and causes aging prematurely.
UVB is the one that burns the skin, but only ever penetrates the top layer of skin, and not glass due to its shorter wavelength.
So working with the girls in there can cause both types of skin damage, not to mention damage to the eyes.