What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Still Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part Five.

oldhaole

Veteran
Sit down, kick back, and I'll tell you a story. The story of 2012. It has yet to unfold...and I don't have a clue how it'll end. Hang in there and see if it all works out.

Who, what, where, how and why. That's what we need to know...let's start with the easy one.

Where....Upcountry Maui. Three thousand feet up on the west side of Haleakala. I've lived up here, above the heat for twentyfive years. I own a small house and five acres of land. In that time I've set it up so that everything is hidden behind hedges and the natural contours of the land.

Why....Easy one....why buy weed when you can grow all you and your friends need? Yes I am a cheap fuck. That will become quite obvious as this log progresses.

Who....I grow for myself, the wife of my youth, and a single patient. The three of us are allowed 7 plants each. Three mature and four immature per blue card....them's the rules....and were going to bend the shit out of them.

What and How. That's what this log is all about.

I spent the last couple of weeks tuning the garden up. And I'm happy with what emerged. Those of you that followed this last season have heard most of this song before....bear with me. It's awfully hard to do this for a few years without repeating myself....now where were we?

Yea...the garden. The gulch is my gold mine. I have a small gulch that runs the lenght of the property. Through the ages, dirt has built up. Plants hide real well in there. I've also planted cover along the lip so any plants in there can't be seen from off my property. There's also a few holes scattered in the bottom rose garden and a single hole in the top rose garden. Last year I has 11 plants stuffed in the gulch. That was pushing it, the plants were too close together. This year I remodeled the whole thing and I have room for six trees and two smaller plants. Check this out.

picture.php

picture.php

The new and improved gulch. I built retaining walls and backfilled, creating terraces. This'll make it alot easier to get up on a ladder to check the tops. Last year I had a nightmare of falling into one of these monsters off that ladder...not going to happen this time.

So...Got the room...need the trees. To do this we gotta chuck some pollen. I'll cover all this stuff and more later as this moves foreward.

This log will take forever. Eight months. March to October. It'll be a strech to keep everybody entertained as it runs its course. So here are the rules.

1) There are no rules.

Simple huh? Got a lot of time to kill and I hope you help me kill it. Questions are welcome. Comments too. Go off topic if you want...I don't give a shit.

And with that introduction...Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls....I give you another crappy day in paradise...2012 long season.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I was gonna pull up a seat but it's going to be a long show so I'm rolling a cot in here.

Good luck this year, OH. :tiphat:

oldhaole

Veteran
This post will bore you all to tears....but we're startin' to set the stage.

This post will bore you all to tears....but we're startin' to set the stage.

Let's get this show on the road...

We're hairs away from twelve hours of light and twelve hours of dark. That's the cue to get going. I have holes ready for seven big ones and five smaller ones. Three more holes are done and waiting for dirt. Still have to find well covered spots for five more small plants.

It's time to plant seeds....and that gets us into breeding.

I do my breeding over winter. The short days force the plants off early, inableing me to plant many pots in a tray, As they grow I pick what I consider to be the best of the tray out, and only polinate those worthy plants. Over short season I messed around and crossed Headband, Violator Kush, Rodney (ganesville green)...yea Rodney is Ganesville Green, Jack Herer and the plants I grew last season; Diesel x Rodney, Kush x Rodney and Big Island Hash Bud...all girls, with Rodney, Jack Herer, Diesel x Rodney, Kush x Rodney and a Big Island Hash Bud males. Here's a young BIHB girl.

picture.php

Many of these crosses were discarded...especialy anything the Jack Herer line produced. Most of what Jack begat pulled that way...hard. I also got ahold of some mainland seed crosses, Valley OG and Grape Romulan crossed with C99 and a couple of unknown crosses that come highly recomended. Since I only got my mitts on these seeds a month ago I didn't have the time to run and cross them I have no idea if they will even sprout, or what they will be like even if they sprout.

Here's a tray of Headband crossed with Diesel x Rodney. Of all these plants I only found one plant worth breeding in this tray. That's in the foreground of this shot.

picture.php

So I made a shitload of seeds, most of which I won't run, and what I pick I've never run before, again I have no clue what they'll come out like...the only thing I have to judge them off of was what the moms taste like. This is one big crapshoot. I do keep notes on each, but sometimes that doesn't work out like it should.

In each hole I've planted ten seeds in five groups of two. After they sprout (no guarantees there) I'll cull the smaller, weaker, starts out. If none of them sprout I can dig them up and move two from another hole into where the duds were.

So I'm planting these seeds straight into the dirt. Did this last year and when the plants were done and pulled there's a nice straight tap root that produced sturdy plants.

The gulch has been planted many times over. When I was putting these holes in, the vacated holes were full of earthworms and what I turned over looked great. This year I took a different route. Each year I make large batches of compost. I use last years compost for this years plants. Also my partner scored a job cleaning out a foreclosed house, and turned me on to bags of Maui Onion fertilizer (16-16-16)...a month ago I spread both the free ferts and compost heavy, turned it into the soil and let it rest. Last week we had a good rain...which I was waiting for...so now the holes have cooled enough to plant. All I bought was a single bag of Fox Farms Ocean for each hole...and of course a 50 lb bag of Osmicote 14-14-14...love the stuff. Mix the compost and the FFOM in the hole, fluff the rest of the soil in the terrace, and we're ready to rock. With all the goodies put there over the last few years this year we'll be fine. Here's a Headband clone in a pocket of compost and dirt behind a retaining wall.

picture.php

Those of you following this last year know I lost half of my crop to Green Harvest. This year I'd bet they will be back, so we're going to do things differently. We'll have the nine big ones from seed and twelve clones maturing at all times. Clones we have going right now are Headband, Skunkdog, Chemdog, Alien Abduction, Valley OG, and g13.

Each day they go outside in the day and under lights at night. When I want them to bud...inground and outside they go. Sixtysomeodd days after they go out they should be done. And the moment a clone is yanked there should be another to go back in the now empty hole. And I have to time the last clone to be done by the week before Labor Day.

Oh Green Harvest was flying last week. Nothing for them here to see...yet. But I will probably get messed with sometime this season...stay tuned....that's always fun.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Here it is!!! :good:

Love watching the trees grow! :D I really wish I could start ANYTHING outside right now, but if it's not cold hardy as fuck or done in a green house it simply won't make it for the next month and a half :frown:

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking sweet bro
your on schedule it looks like
whatever your schedule is hahaha

sorry i was stoned earlier
you left then the friend w cancer came over then another friend and we smoked the whole gamut + oil each time. i was tripping bizzalls....

Smunk

Off to a great start & hoping your crapshoot gives you some great winnings!

And I saw those green harvest boys last week flying low over the cane fields - off mokulele and central baseyard.

oldhaole

Veteran
WTF???

Hey asshole...You going to do this log or what???

You know...This is my third year of legality...We've done this before...many, many, times before... This year I've had a hard time getting motivated to run this side show...

We almost didn't run this year. The way I feel about this trip is if you can't go big you gotta go home...and going big...is a long assed trip. It's turned into a job...hell it's turned into a royal pain in the ass.

It's now a fuckin' job. Shit...like I'm gonna get any sympathy from this crowd...

I was afraid it would come to this....

Anyway I signed up for one more year. After that no promises.

So one more year...

The way it works is like this...think of a rollercoaster.

Starts slow, looks like nothing is going to happen, then you reach a point, and it's all downhill, it takes on a momentum all its own when you hit the bottom all you can do is hang on....

So after last year we learned some lessons. Twenty one trees will not fly...or yes they will literally fly away hanging under a Green Harvest chopper....Talk about buzzkill. Seriously we don't want this to happen again...

picture.php

So I get nine trees. Since I will follow the letter of the law...Yea I know....I just vomited a little there too. I gotta beat them at their own game....What?...Don't think I can?...You may be right....

This year there will be no cane plants. Last year we got ten pounds out of there, but it was a lot of work, and a lot of danger so we aren't going to do that again....this season. Also it looks to be a dry year. During dry years the cane suffers and the plants aren't watered often enough, so even if we take the chance...it won't work out and we would have busted our humps for nothing....Lose Money.

So scrap the cane. Not this year. I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket...but this year I got no choise. We may slap a few bonus plants in elsewhere...but we'll fuck that donkey when we get to it.

Since we can only have nine trees, but we have 21 holes I'm going to fill those extra holes with clones. I've never really got into clones before...but there kinda cool. Not the best yield, but fun to landscape with....

picture.php

Landscape with??? Hell yes...I gotta look at them...might as well be pleasing to my eye....besides I had some extra time to play with. Headband on the left, Chem D an the right.

Another great thing about clones is they will be ready in the dead of summer...offseason...when the island is dry...they'll fetch top price.

And that brings us back to the plants.

The gulch has been planted...I made a lot of changes over the winter...mainly cosmetic...but I did give the big ones more room. Last year they were too close together. Big plants will eat up all the space they can. Give them more space you'll get more out of the deal.

picture.php

Aren't they cute at this age?

Plant right in the ground. Pots kink the tap root. Plant ten or more seeds. This time of year they'll show sex young. Cull out the weak, the fags, the small and the freaks...leave the strongest behind. When I'm done only two will be left to grow.

Now I've done the breeding...Do I know beyond a shaddow of a doubt that the plants I choose to leave behind will have five lbs? Hell no...Never run these crosses before and I've breed more Indica into these seeds than I usually do. Used a Headband mom in some of them. Maybe sacrifice some height....time will tell.

picture.php

The clones are a month rooted. They have never seen the dark. They go outside in the sun each day and under lights at night. When I get them tall enough, like these are, they are planted outside inground. Our photoperiod kicks them into bud. Works every time.

One of the nice things about Another Crappy Day is that I've met some good people that were kind enough to turn me on to some cuts I never would have run into without this log.

Winter is done, Spring lasted for two weeks and we went straight to Summer. And it looks to be a long hot one. I live above the heat...usually we're in the clouds. WPM can be a problem...especially if we have a long extended period in the clouds....give me the sun and it's all an easy run....something to hope for.

picture.php

I'm shooting for something like this pic from last year.

Anyway were off to a start. The next couple of months will be slow. I'll try to post more often than I have been...shit...that shouldn't be hard.

Every once in a while I'll miss a cliche...don't worry...we have lots of time for me to circle back and wreck it too.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
What's up OH!! Glad I found this one, it's always fun to watch your trees grow.

I'm wrapping things up until fall, it's hot as hell already and I hope it stays dry for another couple of weeks until everything is done.

Gonna start playing with Rodney in July/August, many thanks again and glad to see the cat is out of the bag!

Over short season I messed around and crossed Headband, Violator Kush, Rodney (ganesville green)...yea Rodney is Ganesville Green, Jack Herer and the plants I grew last season; Diesel x Rodney, Kush x Rodney and Big Island Hash Bud...all girls, with Rodney, Jack Herer, Diesel x Rodney, Kush x Rodney and a Big Island Hash Bud males. Here's a young BIHB girl.

LetsSeeYa

Hello

Hello

Thanks once more for the awesome grow show:dance013:

Always going for it all and never settle for the mediocre, i luv it bro!

I always bring my own chair:tiphat:

Nice to see that huge plant again and shooting for that is so cool, cant wait bro,

Thanks again OH:watchplant:

LSY

I like your style OH.

Think you're going to take my "outdoor" cherry... Never read an outdoor thread nor do I know any outdoor growers locally.

*ears open*

Glad to see ya gut it out for another season. I, for one, appreciate the time and effort you put into logging your garden and helping other's learn the craft. You are an inspiration. Nice results, too.

...and glad to see the cat is out of the bag!
Was wondering about that myself, lol. You're not a very good secret keeper, OH.

Best of luck with your choices. I like the crap-shoot approach, but it's nice to see ya have back-ups.
Humidity sucks...I guess. Here in the desert, we have the opposite problem... :tumbleweed:

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
The Haole's in his gulch.
The 'zards in his 'mock. 1lg144palmshammock.gif

All's right with the world.
:biggrin:
A.
W.

oldhaole

Veteran
OK...Back to blue.

Cool...Now that Weez is onboard it looks like we've picked up all the usual suspects...Warms my cold black heart. Good to see you all back for the next installment. I hope this flies.

And who the hell gave me them stars? LSY? Was that you?
Busted
Way premature their dude. I like'em but I'd rather earn them....

Nuff said...Get off my high horse.

You guys can tell I've been fightin' this log. Shit, I'm not careful I might as well mail this one in... It's gonna read just like Parts 1 and 3. We're gonna have to do this one differently...gotta work on that...add that to my todo list.

Anyway....Garden's done. All twenty-one holes are planted. Eleven clones and ten holes planted from seed. A couple of Headband clones are two months from harvest, the rest just went inground and from 24 to 12 and a little more hours of light a day.

Most of the seeds I used were all made over shortseason. Four holes were planted with a Headband x Northern Lights (LSY's brandi) cross. Those plants should be smaller than were used to and dollars to doughnuts they'll go off early. Three more are Ganesville Green (aka Rodney) crossed with Jack Herer. Those should get big. We have two holes planted with a Headband mom x Rodney x diesel dad and the last two holes have a Headband mom x Elephant Ear x Jack Herer dad. I've already culled the smaller starts out, and the plants are days away from showing sex.

picture.php

Clonewise...that's not a real word...This is a whole new ballgame for me. We have Headband, Shunkdog Chem D, OG something...Grey'll correct me later, Alien Intercourse...whatever...and a few we can't talk about....we got a bunch...trust me.

picture.php

picture.php

Timing these should be interesting. It should be fun. As the plants from seed won't be ready...as in legaly "mature" until late August. And then I can only have three per card. Now my "mature" plants will be clones...until the big ones from seed go to flower...if I time this right....When Green Harvest flies the week before Labor Day...I can pull the current batch of hopefully ready clones...and replant the holes with a new batch off unbudded clones fresh to outside... and the plants from seed will be my "mature" ones...so I'll still be legal....

Do this right, Green Harvest gets nothing. Fly away empty. More importantly all of my limited holes will be kept working. That'll really piss them off. :moon:

Keeping a bunch of moms going with limited space will be...is...a challange. There will be an overflow. Gonna have to find homes for all of them too.

As you all can see from the rather limited progress over the last couple of weeks...this is gonna take awhile. We're miles away from the fun part. Every once in a while in order to kill some time we'll go off the reservation...maybe next time...maybe not...