What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snowryder UK outdoor

Hi, keeping this journal as a bit of a record. Not really expecting to blow anyone away with anything here but if anyone passing has comments to make, I'm all ears.

I haven't smoked or grown cannabis in over 5 years and this is somewhat of an amateurish dabble with minimal fuss.

• 1No. femmed Snowryder seed from Shortstuff
  • Small lean to greenhouse that gets direct sunlight (when it exists in the UK) from midday to late afternoon/early evening
  • Medium is, I'm ashamed to say, a mix of recycled compost, "new" compost that has sat in it's bag over winter outside, blood bone and fishmeal mix and some perlite
  • To germinate: prepared final pot with compost mix, gave good watering with runoff, placed seed slightly below surface. This was done in a little cab under a few 23W CFLs with a makeshift propagator in the form of a clear plastic microwaveable lid over the pot.
  • Planted on a Friday night, popped on Monday evening, birthday was Tuesday 29th March at which point it went out into mini greenhouse
So that is the history to date. Nothing notable happened so far so I thought I would post first pictures at the 2 week point. I will be talking age from seedling, not from germination or flower etc.

In my opinion she is looking a little slow in development. Could be the strain or more likely just me.

During propagation the soil began to get a little anaerobic (note the green surface) which is something I was a little worried about when sowing directly into the final pot. Usually I would prefer to pot on in stages but I heard the Ruderalis in these autos determine their final size by the depth the taproot can get to initially. Maybe this is the cause of the slow initial growth?

Thanks for stopping by, any comments are appreciated; I know this isn't the most interesting grow going on.

Day 14 (week 2)

picture.php

THC123

Veteran
I heard the Ruderalis in these autos determine their final size by the depth the taproot can get to initially. Maybe this is the cause of the slow initial growth?

to get big autos you should germ and then plant them in jiffies or cardboard boxes and then after about 4-5days of prevegging you bury the cardboard box in the final hole or pot

this way there is no transplant and the taproot has the biggest volume so you get bigger plants

have fun with your grow

That never occurred to me, simple as it is. Good thinking, cheers.

Should also point out she has stretched a little from having her to far from the light initially. Hopefully with the wind she gets this should be no problem and the stem will thicken up. I may be tempted to add more compost at the top so as to have her buried like a tomato seedling. . .

THC123

Veteran
yes you are right , the stem will become sturdier with the wind but adding compost on top is never bad

Thanks again. Wish I had done as you said to germinate in the first place. . I hate little plants dwarfed in big pots. For my own piece of mind I think I'll have to wait until the soil dries out before adding more compost on top. Could take some time until she gets a bit thirstier.

Seem to be having a few days of overcast weather. Due to the extremely slow growth possibly due to temps (14C max, 5C min) I am in two minds as to whether to bring her in for a bit.

The cab I have has 5No. 23W CFLs and a quiet PC fan for extraction. The fan / filter side of things was going to be setup later in the year after a couple of outdoor auto crops so I wouldn't have thought I could get away with finishing in there until a carbon filter is set up.

I think it may be too much stress for too little gain if I were to bring her inside until next week. If it weren't for the really sunny weather we have had recently she would probably still be inside.

Ahhh... Just had a rub and sniff of the leaves. . have that smell already . . that greehouse smell.

Haven't had a smoke since 2006 and it all came rushing back to me. This is going to be a severe test of my patience. Think I'm going to give her a companion sometime in May too. And another in June. And get the cab ready for winter.

I brought her inside last night as there doesn't seem to be much change in the weather for a while. Even just running 4No. 23W very warm cfls she must be getting more light than the overcast weather and more importantly staying warmer. Seems to have already grown a bit overnight after being stunted the last few days. I also topped her up with a bit more compost on top on day 16.

Day 17 (week 2)

EDIT: I think I uploaded the picture an hour or so before the servers went down to increase memory. Must have missed the last backup and I don't have a copy any more.
picture.php

I feel like I could be done for false advertising. . not only have I brought the Snowryder indoors for a bit but I have also decided to plant a femmed Ceres Orange Bud seed in there too.

Went in last night so by Friday or Saturday she should pop up. Am tempted to plant a femmed Bubblegummer (Female Seeds X-Line) in there too.

Ceres Orange Bud

picture.php

Week 3

Week 3

So, week 3 update. She is probably looking more like how she should have been at week 2. The temperatures outside were definitely doing her no favours.

picture.php

Here she is in-situ. To germ I took 2No. of the 23W bulbs out and when I put them back in one of them wasn't working so she is currently under 4x 23W very warm CFLs.

picture.php

The fourth node is making its debut out the centre there.

picture.php

Looking quite mature for such a tiny thing.

Probably worth mentioning that she has only been inside for 4 days and she looked like the first picture at that point. Not a bad recovery considering how she is treated.

Continuing the trend of the over mothering newb. . . It was a sunny day so she came outside at 3ish after waking up from her siesta inside (20/4 lighting).

Week 3 - Day 21

picture.php

This will do for a week 3 picture for records sake.

picture.php

Thanks killerweed. Just an update to say that the Ceres Orange Bud had popped this morning when I woke up. Currently bringing the Snowryder at night as the lows are 10C so will flower the orange bud either:

1) When the night temperatures are consistently warm enough for the Snowryder to stay out. This could be mid May hopefully. Minimum 21 days veg for Orange Bud.

2) When the Snowryder is done if she is still using the cab. At a guess, the Snowryder will be done 24th May earliest (9 weeks from seed) to June 14th latest (12 weeks from seed). This will mean that if I wait for the Snowryder to be done the orange bud will have between 32 and 53 days of veg.

During veg she can come outside with the Snowryder for the periods of the day that are worthwhile (12.30 to 5.30 direct sun at the moment).

I think I'm going to flower the Orange Bud in the cab rather than outside so I need to keep her within the 600H X 280W X 280D (mm) size. I'm not sure if the Ceres is the indica or sativa leaning strain yet but a bit of stretch is expected. Probably need to LST even with the minimum veg time of 21 days. With 53 days veg things are going to get hectic in there. I was planning on doing a reveg if the smoke is anything like the Cali O I remember.

I am going to try and get an organic soil mix together for her that can be reconditioned each grow. I want a good supply of loam based soil that will be shared with the veg garden and hopefully develop over time with ammendments and inoculants.

Any advice on pot size for the Orange to keep her contained?

Just an update to say Snowryder got her first watering today. That is 25 days since she sprouted or 29 days since I first moistened the compost and stuck the seed in. She probably could have gone longer without water but I was she was dry enough to justify a water to refresh things down there.

If I do autos again I will definitely do what THC123 advised with the jiffies or cardboard boxes. Rather she was drying out too fast than sitting there in damp compost all the time. I hope as she gets bigger and thirstier it won't be a problem and I will be able to water more often.

While ogling Snowryder last night I spotted a few tiny white hairs starting to emerge. A bit shocking really as she is only about 6" tall. On the one hand it is exciting to see her start to flower but on the other I don't feel she will get much stretch so I know yield will be limited. This is 26 days in. Her female preflowers have been showing a little while now but I didn't think it worth mentioning. Should have done really as people often ask how long before a strain shows sex. This was a fem so I wasn't that bothered about pre-flowers but I would put them back at day 21.

This seems fast in maturity despite her growth being slow for her age. I know she is a week behind where she should be from the cold weather.

Yeah its a load of bollocks. Can't grow whilst I am living here now. Past few years have been shit. Contemplating suicide if it weren't for caring responsibilities shit. Haven't been able to smoke in this time and was kind of pinning a lot of hope and happiness on this. Trying to think of a way to fight back at the system now.

If I can't grow then I have nothing to hide so I can get in the Man's face without fear of prosecution. Would have preferred a bit of happiness though . .

PS. Fuck prohibition!