What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Woolybear's 300w LED Grow: Triesel, Server Fund Beans + More

woolybear

Veteran
LEDs

LEDs

Hi Woolybear,
Your plants look extremely healthy, tagging along mate.
UKNo2 has the cheese structure.
UKNo 1.Wow what a monster.
:respect:

Thanks for the info MrBiggs! I agree, #1 is definitely a monster, she is almost twice as tall as #2. She has stretched at least 6" since the flip, I really hope she doesn't outgrow my tent... she grew at least 1/2" yesterday to reach the light!

So if #2 is Cheesy, #1 is probably more hazey, I'm thinking. Thank you for your input, I would have no idea otherwise!

Both UKs were also very easy to clone, I have a few fully rooted potential mothers in the mix. Thanks for making the beans and sending them to the 'Bay for the world to share!

teh_piper said:
I'm curious, how much do you expect to yield with that 300watt LED?

I actually haven't thought about yield yet! I went with the LED from GLH as there were a lot of successful test grows using the brand. I do know there's a lot of sketchy LEDs out there.

I think 0.5 gram/watt is within reach... So hopefully I'll end up with 5 zips of product, however I think that its not unreasonable to end up with more since I vegged the plants for so long. I need to yield 3 zips of premium dank to cover the cost of the LED unit :D

As far as variable's go, I think I'm doing pretty good:

- plant health - fantastic!
- strains - this is a toss up, all my plants are untested :D
- lighting - I have seen several excellent grows with my brand of light, I have no doubts LED can produce chunky resinous buds
- environment - I am pretty dialed in, no deficiencies or heat problems.

chuckyoufarley said:
your plants look AWESOME woolybear .thm lights are doing something good to your girls.

Thank you chuck :)

Next up: Adding more LED power. I should have gone with two 180w units originally instead of one 300w (same total price) but I was impatient at the time. I am making my own LED strips now - Here is a picture of a veg LED strip I just built, using KNNA's method:

picture.php

This strip cost a total of $70 to make, 15 watts. Using osram dragon LEDs, 2x red 656nm, 2x red 625nm, 1 royal blue 455nm, one warm white. These LEDs are tiny and bright!

The driver I used can handle ~35 watts. I am going to add a switch and more LEDs to the strip. I have a 60w driver on order that I'm going to use in the flowering tent.

As far as LED vs HID goes, its a non-issue for me as there's no way I could run HID lighting. As far as the $$$ goes, LED vs HID is quite competitive once you figure in electric bills, replacement bulbs and the peace of mind of not worrying about burning my house down. Will get even cheaper in the future, and the future is just around the corner...

I know that my LEDs are powerful enough to require eye and skin protection... When working in the garden (tent) I always wear my green goggles or turn off the lights... when I first worked around the LEDs I could definitely tell the LED light gave me a mild "sun" burn!

woolybear

Veteran
First Crystals!

First Crystals!

Checked my plants.... first leaf crystal formations:

picture.php

On the UK Cheese x SSCH #2! This plant is growing flowers fast, it has overtaken Fem #2 for flower growth.

So far UKC #2 is the flower room champ. Bigger flowers than the rest, plus lots of nice crystal formation. Sweet!

edit: I hope those are crystals, and not PM! :D

mrbiggs

ICMag Donor
Hi Woolybear, looking great mate.
I see its starting to snow, got any smells yet?.

woolybear

Veteran
Hi Woolybear, looking great mate.
I see its starting to snow, got any smells yet?.

Smell report:

LEAF (when rubbed)

UK1 - Sweet honey mint
UK2 - Sweet honey candy

STEM (when rubbed)
UK1 - Menthol pine
UK2 - Resinous, little bit of funk, sweet menthol mint

FLOWER (sniffing the flower)
UK2 - Sweet flowery
UK1 - Less So

OVERALL SMELL REPORT:
- When opening the tent, b4 turning on the lights, sweet
- After lites have been running a while, a bit skunky.
@fonzee:

I actually have 2 gal smart pots but I'm not using them as my intention wasn't to grow trees. I was originally going for a SOG-style setup; I will do that once these plants are flowered!

Plus, the root pots have like extra air exchange or whatever.

OTHER PLANTS:
MOD Menage a Trois is compact, zero stretch that I can see. Sweet smell.

UK1 and Fem1 have a little bit of burn tips. Dialing back ppms to 1000 for those two.

TECHNIQUE NOTE:
I have been defoliating since veg. The idea is to create light channels for the lower buds.

FLOWER MASS:
UK2 has the best flowers and most crystals. Fem #2 is right behind the UK. Fem1 looks to be the least impressive of the group so far.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
As far as I know bigger pots give space for bigger root system and a bigger root system support the plant better as water and nutrient uptake is increased.
You can keep the soil aerated and the roots not swirling and choking each other and the plant would look just fine but you will have less root space.
Also, you'll need to water WAY more often using small pots. Some like it, I never did. If I could water my plants once a month I would love it.

woolybear

Veteran
As far as I know bigger pots give space for bigger root system and a bigger root system support the plant better as water and nutrient uptake is increased.
Also, you'll need to water WAY more often using small pots. Some like it, I never did. If I could water my plants once a month I would love it.

Is it too late to transplant? :p I agree, if I knew my UK#1 was going to get so huge anyways I could've put it into a 2-gal... but then again in the bigger pot it might outgrow my tent! I'm growing in 100% perlite, not soil, if that makes any difference.

I actually have all the parts to put together an ebb and flow tray, except the tray I have can fit maybe 4 of these plants together... for the next time!

My current regime is to feed each girl by dunking in the nute bucket. As they pack on weight I make go back to hand-watering.

I'm thinking the UK1 is a 10-weeker. Today is day 20 of flowering, oh how time has passed! Have no plans on using any flower boosters. Maybe molasses?

The girls don't wake up for another 4 hours. I think I'll do weekly photo updates.

thanks for tagging along! :cathug:

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Your plants should soon stop the root growing phase (they will grow some, just nothing substantial) so transplanting now won't do much.
What you can do is to use something like Atami Enzymes to help the breaking down of dead materials, like dead roots. It should give some space in case some of the roots aren't that healthy. There are some organic alternatives but I haven't found a good one yet.

Another option is stacking pots. Use a container with a bigger diameter than your current and fit the current on top letting the roots grow to the bottom container.
That way you don't stress the plant in any way while transplanting it and even if barely any roots grow to the bottom container you'll still have to water less frequently.

You can use molasses any time but to organically kick the flowering in gear I loved the Guanokalog bloom products.

Cheers.

woolybear

Veteran
Week 4 Update, 29 Days

Week 4 Update, 29 Days

Week 4 Update, 29 Days

About half way there. It will be interested to see how my budz develop in the next month. My favorite is my UK Cheese x SSCH. It smells sweet.

The least impressive (looks-wise) so far is Fem #1. It has a bud structure distinctly different than the others.

- Put my Dansk Diesel #2 into flower. Other 5 Diesels haven't shown sex yet. The plant is lanky as all the Diesels were mostly vegged under cfls, topped once.

- Put my chopstick Dansk Diesel into flower a week or so ago, turns out it is female and is budding. This DD is the same age as the Mists of Destruction Menage a Trois, but much smaller as it got f'd up by pests

Plant notes:

- UK #1 Bud size good (3/4)
- UK #2 has the biggest buds (4/4). Distinct floral smell, nice
- Fem#1 buds (1/4) are about 1/2 the size of UK#2, very different bud structure, single cola bush form, looks to be low yielder?
- Fem #2 (2/4)
- Fem #3 (3/)
- Fem #4 (3/4)
- MOD (2/4) I think I could've vegged this one a while longer, I have a couple of cuts from her. This plat looks a lot like reddy1 from his Menage a Trois grow. She matches Dream Goddess according to the description: The Dream Goddess is a mostly indica that will need some extended veg time to see its full potential. These girls don't stretch much so they must be flowered large but will reward in a large way at harvest time
- Dansk Diesel #2 Put into flower 2/22

How would you describe the shape of the buds in Fem #1 and the MOD? They look so much different than the others.

Other:

- Some plants got nute burns as I dunking them in a bucket of nutes to feed and didn't compensate for the run off... each dunk raised the PPMs 75-100 points!
- Prior to this I was running PPM of around 1500. Plants seem to like it.
- Next feeding I will flush with plain water

pics:

UK1:
picture.php

UK1 Close:
picture.php

UK2 (Cheesey pheno)
picture.php

picture.php

Menage a Trois:
picture.php

picture.php

I have 6 Dansk Diesels. One is a stick, another hasn't shown sex yet (same age as the stick), four left that I popped, of which #2 I just put into flower. I am wondering how much the #2 is going to stretch.

Dansk Diesel stick:
picture.php

Dansk Diesel #2, just put into flower:
picture.php

Fem 3, 1 and 4:

picture.php

In four weeks we shall see how my LEDs fare! My goal is 0.5 gram/watt. I am flowering 7 girls under 300w, so my goal is 150 grams or a bit more than 5 ounces.

5 ounces of killer smoke I'm hoping... 5 zips is more than enough to last me 6 months, i'm a light smoker as I have light access to budz and have never had any name-brand weed. I look forward to my mind being blown by the UK Cheese x SSCH, and seeing how the no-name fems turn out.

Thanks for stopping by!

P

pine boy

Nice garden woolybear,Let me know what you think of the M.O.D. will ya? I have some seed from them and have grown out a few plants that are killer.
Garden looks great:ying:

mrbiggs

ICMag Donor
Great update Woolybear.Everything looks well on track.:respect:
That tall bitch looks to be a long flowerer 10/11w?.
Uk2 look more like 9 / 9.1/2w.
I'll be tagging along mate.
Happy growing.

woolybear

Veteran
Great update Woolybear.Everything looks well on track.:respect:
That tall bitch looks to be a long flowerer 10/11w?.
Uk2 look more like 9 / 9.1/2w.
I'll be tagging along mate.
Happy growing.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll be updating once a week. So for the two UKs, harvest time is projected to start in early april.

Unfortunately for me, I only have a little less than 1/2 of a zip of 'erb left... I'm going to have to make it last! My goal is to not purchase weed any more, my timing may have been a bit off...

I have a feeling I may need to scavenge a branch off of one of my fem plants to tide me over... or start trimming crystally leaves to make some QWISO or something.

Either way, the UK girls aren't coming down until they are done!

@pine_boy thanks! My MOD is the most indica plant I have in the garden. Very squat, like it was built to grown on the side of a mountain, in the rocks.

From seeing reddy1's grow, I don't expect the buds to get much bigger, they should keep packing on crystals though.

More buds! I'm hoping my other diesel plants will start sexing themselves soon. I think I may have spotted a male.

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice grow woolybear :respect:
I'm gonna hang around and see how that Menage a Trois turns out :yes:
One i always wanted to try, but never have.

woolybear

Veteran
Nice grow woolybear :respect:
I'm gonna hang around and see how that Menage a Trois turns out :yes:
One i always wanted to try, but never have.

It should just be a short 4-5 weeks till have I smoke report for you brother! :D Luckily the beans are still available on seedbay and easy on the wallet.

NEWS - When I opened up the tent tonight, it stunk of ROTTEN FRUIT! Literally a new different smell added overnight. I checked the tent for spoiled apples (even though I don't eat apples :p)... nothing! So its definitely the cannabis! :dance013:

I prefer the non-rotten smell, hopefully the new stinkiness mean's I I'm doing the right thing by my girls! Need to seriously engage the smell control, I have been slacking on that angle.

woolybear

Veteran
Day 40, Week 5

Day 40, Week 5

Big update! Day 40 - Week 5

- My lone 4SD plant turned out to be a male. Binned
- I have cuts of all my girls except for the f1
- f1 and the dansk diesel have distinctly diffrent bud structures than the others
- The frosting has spread to all the plants. The MOD has that distinct frost on the edges of the leaves.
- I was concerned that about 1/2 of the plants have burnt leaf tips... then I saw in lots of other grows peeps had the same burnt tips so I figure its cool. Last feeding was around 1200 ppm
- UK1 leaf tips are extra crispy in the pic as it got too close to my cfl supplemental lighting

UK x SSCH:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dansk deez:
picture.php

picture.php

Fems:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Menage a Trois:
picture.php

picture.php

woolybear

Veteran
Question to those following my grow: You know how the bud plants had pairs of swollen calyxs along the main stem? I was thinking that if worse came to worse I could punch off those little things and smoke 'em.

9 weeks = 63 days. I figure at least one of the group should be done by then. So 23 days till I can harvest something, 3 weeks. Hmm!

70's rock

Looking good! I'm wondering about the "dansk diesel", is it a danish diesel? Thev'e been doing their thing for many, many years and have created some good outdoor varieties for us living way up north, is this one of those?

woolybear

Veteran
Looking good! I'm wondering about the "dansk diesel", is it a danish diesel? Thev'e been doing their thing for many, many years and have created some good outdoor varieties for us living way up north, is this one of those?

Yes sir! The dansk diesel has gotten a lot of attention since HFH has been posting their crosses. The site where I got them also sell HFH seeds too. Those sneaky danes, hard at work!

Keep in mind the dansk diesel in the pics above almost died and was largely written off. I have 4 more dansk diesels, they aren't early showers that's for sure.... Let me go check and see if any have girl parts now...

woolybear

Veteran
Here is a picture of my other Dansk Diesel, week one of flowering. This plant has the structure like the notorious SD IBL, big tropical leaves, nice and stretch.

I think to take this plant to its full potential its going to need 1/2 of my current tent or a new tent all for itself. I am going to need to LST in a major way.... its a beast!

Dansk Diesel, about 1 month veg, week 1 of flower.

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts