What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LST and prune for no popcorn

GrowBox420

If Im doing a micro can I LST during flower also whats up with topping while in 12/12? Nice nugs of that chronic how tall did it get?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
If Im doing a micro can I LST during flower also whats up with topping while in 12/12? Nice nugs of that chronic how tall did it get?

I would not suggest topping in 12/12. LST is fine, though the results are usually better if the plant is trained beforehand.

Very nice!! Ive been a chronic fan from way back pre-2000. I fell in love with everything about the strain the first time my friend grew it. Have had many oldtimers tell me its some of the best they have ever had. Dont get me wrong I have other favorites too.

In all truth, this is hardly the best Chronic I've grown. We had an issue with fungus gnats and it effected the yield and the quality of the bud, itself. Where as we usually see ~3oz (dry/cured) from a plant this size, this individual may bring in a bit over 2oz. We'll see.

As a strain, I find Chronic to be individual-dependent. Get a great plant, work with it for a year or so, and the bud is candy. It almost has a wine-like quality, as its smell and taste becomes more complex over time. It's one of my bread and butter commercial strains, but I do smoke it as well.

If you dont mind?
What ppm do you give them, and how often? in veg and flow?
What about ph?

<blush> I don't measure Ph or PPM. I'd be happy to post the proportions, if folks would like to know. JC offers an almost foolproof methodology for grows like ours. It's ridiculously simple.

Simon

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Sorry for the belated reply. The final weight was a touch over 2.5oz (dry/cured).

Simon

Metatron

<blush> I don't measure Ph or PPM. I'd be happy to post the proportions, if folks would like to know. JC offers an almost foolproof methodology for grows like ours. It's ridiculously simple.

Simon

Simon I am interested in your school of thought, can you post some links ?? When you refer to grows like yours is it, organic soil?

TIA

-M

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Simon I am interested in your school of thought, can you post some links ?? When you refer to grows like yours is it, organic soil?

TIA

-M

By grows like ours, I mean growing Canna. I wish I had some links to post; this thread was supposed to be it, at least in my mind. lol

In terms of methodology, here's what I work with: B'cuzz Pro-Mix (nothing added) and Jack's Classic ferts. That's it. Here's a link for JC:

http://www.jacksclassic.com/buy_jacksclassic.html

There's a precision to growing Canna; it's almost mechanical. The plants are fertilized with every watering. This is the basic regimen, assuming we're growing from seed:

Veg weeks 1-5

1st watering - JC All-purpose 1/4t (teaspoon) per gallon
2nd watering 1/2t per gallon
All subsequent veg watering - 1t per gallon

Flower 9 weeks

Weeks 1-2 - JC All-Purpose 1t/gallon
Week 3 - 1/2t All-purpose and 1/2t JC Bloom Booster
Week 4 - 1t JC Bloom Booster per gallon
Weeks 5-6 - 1.5t Bloom Booster per gallon
Weeks 7-8 - 1t BB per gallon
Week 9 - 1/2t BB per gallon

Often, I run a higher (fert) concentration in flower, but the basic proportions essentially guarantee success. My main concerns are ease, efficiency and results, not necessarily in that order.

Simon

gdbud

Simon,
Thanks for that information on the brand of fertilizer that you use.
As a child growing up my next door neighbor had the most beautiful plants in her house and garden and she swore by Peters fertilizer.
Now thanks to you I have now discouvered that Peters is now Jack's Classic. For my next grow I think I will give Jack's Classic a try.

prophecy

Do i understand your method?

mshbharvest.jpg

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Well done Simon!

Prophecy, that's a sick LST too!!

I do LST in vege, and often leave the binds on during flower, but I use a screen to spread it out more during stretch, I trim my undergrowth during week 2 of flower and wind up with nearly no popcorn. :pimp3:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I love LST, but it scares the shit out of me to cut all the secondary branches off.... don't know why... I'm sure you know what I mean though.

I have two Sweet Tooth plants right now that I topped twice each and LST'd until I had about 6-8 tops on each plant all vegging evenly..... Curious to try this, should I remove the secondary branches right before I hit the switch? Does it yield the same this way... just with less popcorn? Or yield less... but no hassle with popcorn, curious in your opinion.

prophecy

To have a plant like mine you have to LST in veg 1 time and 1 another time during stretch...mostly at the end of it.

conehead

No movie No popcorn!

No movie No popcorn!

These plants have about 5 oz of bud no pop corn.:tiphat::party:

Attachments

• MY MJ 223.jpg
    MY MJ 223.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 45
  • MY MJ 088.jpg
    MY MJ 088.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 40
  • MY MJ 081.jpg