What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Showdown: Pink Kush vs Ultimate Pink Kush

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Pink Kush. This is a very popular strain in Canada, well known as one of the best pain relievers in the legal cannabis market and hence, it is offered by many licensed producers in both their medical and rec arsenals. An offshoot of OG Kush, it was originally bred by Charles Scott aka Reeferman in Western Canada in the early 90s and he has said that it is one of the phenos from his King Kush work. He (presumably) brought it to Europe (although I don’t know the story), and it was launched to the broader world by Barney’s Farm as Pink Kush.

[edit April 2023 . . . In a recent interview, Dave has stated the the PK was from a seed found in ‘donkey dick’ colas that were included as filler in shipments of hash from Pakistan. Therefore it is a landrace from Pakistan. Initially bred by Julian Lees(?) and gifted to Dave.]

I have sampled numerous iterations of Pink Kush. I have bought PK flower legally from 2 – 3 different medical pot producers, as well as from MOMs (Mail Order Marijuana black market dealers) here in Canada. I have grown a couple of the Barney’s seeds, and I have given clones to others to grow. Invariably, all variants that I have smoked share the same basic smell, look and effect. A classic Kush Indica-style body stone with some mind uplift. You can use it to relax at night while you’re watching Netflix (like my wife does) or entourage it to tone down a racy Sativa. In excess, you can use it to blot out the world. And the PK bubble hash that I have made is the equal of a premium Afghani hash in effect, and a whole lot tastier.

Yeah, it is a favourite and a strain that I always have on hand. I know that the cannabis world has gone nuts with pollen chucking and creating crosses out of everything, but sometimes you should just leave the strain the fuck alone because it is perfect. This is one of those.

But then I read a post on ICMag that had me wondering. I won’t give you the thread trail because I am lazy and I also I think it was in the Barney’s sub-forum and I don’t want to step on any toes etc. It seems that Maestro Scott has kept the original genetics alive and he had developed an Ultimate Pink Kush S1 feminized version that he was offering through his Scott Family Farms moniker. He claimed that it was the best expression yet. How could I resist? And so, I made it my first Seedbay purchase. It is good that I did, because it is no longer listed.

The seeds arrived promptly – along with a mess of freebies I might add. I was mid-grow with some Zamaldelica to round out my Sativa flower inventory and then I got distracted and did a mixed autoflower grow to give me some variety, but I still wanted to do this showdown, So now, almost a year later, I am getting to it. I do acknowledge that growing one seed of a pheno only tells you so much, but too bad, that’s the tent size I have and that’s what I am doing. One seed each. Side by side.

1 x Barney’s Pink Kush
versus​
1 x Scott Family Farm’s Ultimate Pink Kush S1

I started the beans in my usual way: shot glass soak then wet paper towel on a heating pad. When they popped, I transferred them to a Rapid Rooter that I put in Solo cups to sprout. Canna Coco with perlite.

photo2063136.jpg

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
I have a collection of work using Charles's Pink Kush.
I also hold "the" BC Pink Kush cut which is the sought after cut here in BC, Canada.
Right now we have the Pink Kush BX2 which uses the King John as the initial outcross. Seeds made by a long time sunshine coast farmer who runs rooms for some of the top producers here. He used to post here but has dropped off the planet ......

be interesting to see what you find. Personally I won't touch barney's stuff. They like to put their names and TM trademarks on strains that arent their work to begin with. But I shouldn't throw stones.
One more BX to the mother clone with the plants I have now and I will release some S1 somewhere out there in the cannabyss....
Not gonna S1 the mother cut though.... that would probably piss a few people off around these parts hehehe

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
ya the fires this year have been stressful thats for sure.
We almost got pushed out by a smaller fire raging just down the road but an air assault and one of our volunteer fire crews got that handled.
The big fire has been broken up in a few smaller fires and though things were touch and go for a few weeks, we have been downgraded and off evacuation alert orders sunday.
Most of my plants were moved out of the area but I think I might bring them home in the next couple days as is is not so smokey now/
I have my 2 mothers from my Pink selections on my deck that I will be cloning shortly and another 2 are with the flowering group that we evacuated a couple weeks ago.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Keep safe, TT.

I started a dribble of nutes today . . . which I will call Day 4 (from sprout). Silica, Canna A + B, Cal/mag, fumic acid. ec 0.3

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
I might not have mentioned, but I really hope that – once again – that this is an incredibly boring grow diary like my last one. To me, boring grows are good grows because that means I didn’t screw it up. My goal is always a simple no-fuss no-muss grow without any issues. Of course, I have – totally unintentionally – done my damndest to kill numerous plants with high temps, low humidity, pH way out of whack, nute OD, nute starvation, light burn, mg deficiency (or was it an N lockout?), timer malfunctions, a fatal udwc leak, an overgrown tent . . . etc etc etc. I feel like a veteran farmer, even though I have only been growing for 4 years.

Anyways . . . it is so far, so good with this one, but the time is young, so we shall see . . .

I use a 4x4x8 Gorilla tent. The installed extension fits ½” below ceiling height - which is perfect. I exhaust with an 8” fan - running on low (med in flower) to keep the noise level tolerable - and I have a cheap 5” fan blowing into my homemade blackening intake manifold. Another 5” fan circulates air inside the tent.

Lighting is my now-ancient Mars Hydro Epistar 160 on the burple Grow setting. Later on I will kick it to grow + bloom and add in my 2 banks of 2 x 2 ft LED strips that I can tilt for maximum penetration. It all works well.

The seedlings are still in Solos but they are now sitting in their final position. I will transplant them in a couple of weeks once they are well rooted. As you can see, I grow in coco and perlite. Those are 3 gallon (12x8) cloth pots. Once I am past the seedling stage, I treat the media like true hydro. I keep it wet and draining, with daily hand feeds of filtered, nuted, and pH’d water.

Last edited:

Mattbho

Dying to see what u get ? I'll stick around .

I so miss the pink that was around 10-15 years ago. 25% returns every time. And some of the best tasting terps imo.

Im almost positive that the original bc clone is long gone . All the pink packs I've seen lately look to be selected for the biggest yielding/shortest flowering times vs potency.

I think Scott said he crossed it to the pk to make it easier to grow and shorten the flower time .

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Well, it is Day 10 and I am not impressed with either plant. They are growing - but ever so slowly. I still have them on a low diet of ec 0.5 so it may be time to step up it a bit.

photo2064574.jpg

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Dying to see what u get ? I'll stick around .

I so miss the pink that was around 10-15 years ago. 25% returns every time. And some of the best tasting terps imo.

Im almost positive that the original bc clone is long gone . All the pink packs I've seen lately look to be selected for the biggest yielding/shortest flowering times vs potency.

I think Scott said he crossed it to the pk to make it easier to grow and shorten the flower time .

I didn't start buying pot with actual names until 5 - 6 years ago. I just took whatever my source had available. So - as far as I know - I never had the ancestral pink.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
I almost blew this grow. I came very close to drowning the poor seedlings as they tried to grow roots in their Solo cups. I wasn’t really paying attention – for days – until I realized that they weren’t growing well. The Ultimate started out really well building leaves and then stalled and while the Barney’s was not happy from the get go.

When it finally dawned on me that there was a serious problem, I flushed with un-nuted water and transplanted them into their big pots, discarding the Solos. I figured that the larger media would help keep the moisture from collecting around the roots. I wet the whole pot with nuted water and then left them alone for 4 days. They perked up, so I watered them again and left them for another 2 days. Now, I think I can safely say that things are back to normal and I can resume normal nuting.

photo2066402.jpg

Last edited:

Mattbho

Those are some pretty big shoes. I'd be scared to soak those at my place the gnats would surely grow outgrow the roots

Good morning all, have not been here in a while. Im in quebec and have UPK and rage killer tuna, cherry, wakeford and others from reeferman. All give very good and strong buds. I like to make hash so the best one for that so far has been the wakeford and theUPK. The wakeford is so much faster to finish with nice hard buds that make super strong hash but the UPK is better tasting and more yielding. Their seems to be two main phenos upk and for the wakeford I am not sure how many different phenos their are.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Those are some pretty big shoes. I'd be scared to soak those at my place the gnats would surely grow outgrow the roots

I have never had a problem. I screen the intake & with a bit of negative pressure, it would be hard for them to stay.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Good morning all, have not been here in a while. Im in quebec and have UPK and rage killer tuna, cherry, wakeford and others from reeferman. All give very good and strong buds. I like to make hash so the best one for that so far has been the wakeford and theUPK. The wakeford is so much faster to finish with nice hard buds that make super strong hash but the UPK is better tasting and more yielding. Their seems to be two main phenos upk and for the wakeford I am not sure how many different phenos their are.

It's nice to hear you work with his gear. That wakeford sounds interesting because I smoke more hash than flower now. :rasta:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Day 26

The plants have made the adjustment to the larger home finally. Roots are building and life is good. My poor start will add a few more weeks to my veg time no doubt but I am in no rush. I will have to think about topping soon as well but the node spacing is very tight since the plants are still small. ec 1.1.

The Ultimate is winning the vigor award at this point.

Ultimate . . .

photo2068147.jpg

Barneys . . .

photo2068148.jpg

Last edited:

Mattbho

Those are looking perfect !! nice and stocky certainly grew into those shoes fast.
Mine usually end up more like the above random pics.

What kinda hash is everyone smoking ? I gotta get me a nice set of screens . Can't wait for out door to finish. I make majority into concentrates ( bho or bubble)

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Day 32

Steady as she goes . . .

I am feeding them 2 litres daily (combined) with some run off. ec maintaining at 1.2.

Ultimate - tall with bigger node spacing.

photo2069473.jpg

Barneys - shorter and tighter

photo2069474.jpg

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Those are looking perfect !! nice and stocky certainly grew into those shoes fast.
Mine usually end up more like the above random pics.

What kinda hash is everyone smoking ? I gotta get me a nice set of screens . Can't wait for out door to finish. I make majority into concentrates ( bho or bubble)

Thank you.

On the subject of hash, I am making bubble out of most of the strains I grow. The best so far are Auto Blueberry from Dutch Passion, Tangie'Matic from Barneys and PK from Barneys. I am waiting for colder weather to run a bunch of Sativa bubble - Malawi & Zamaldelica from Ace.