What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st outdoor grow. Blueberry and Afghan Kush

chuey_316

Hey everyone. Fairly new grower here, just a few indoor grows under my belt, and decided to undertake my 1st outdoor grow this year. This will be a much as a call for help as it is a diary, and I'm hoping that others may be able to help out, and give me advice throughout this adventure, and help me gain a few skills, and the knowledge to be better for the next run.

I've got 7 Blueberry clones. 6 put in the ground a week and a half ago, and one put out 6 days ago. Also have 2 Afghan Kush clones taken around week 2 of flower, and reveged. All clones were taken within a week or 2 of each other, vegged in the same Great Lakes Water Only Soil in solo cups, under the same light. All transplanted directly in ground. 6 of the Blueberry holes were filled using 3cf of the Great Lakes soil. The 2 Afghan's and the 7th Blueberry were planted straight into my native soil to see how it does.

3 of the Blueberry's in the Great Lakes soil were topped 5 days ago, and the other 3 were topped 2 days ago. The other Blueberry, and 2 Afghan Kush have not been touched.

Theses plants do not get the best light, but it was the best spot I had. They get a good 4-6 hours of direct light with passing shade, and another 2-4 hours of indirect light. When it's dry out, they'll be watered from a 55gal rain barrel, either by hand, or using a 100ft soaker hose setup, with a pump inside the barrel.

Going for a minimalist grow here. Using just the water only soil. Not using any nutes unless a problem arises that calls for it, and I'd like to stick to top dressing rather than liquids. I do however have EWC, a setup to make tea, and an unending supply of rabbit poop if needed.

Truth be told, if I only pull 2oz per plant, that's enough to last me to next year's outdoor harvest, and I'll be happy. The goal is to double that yield or better though, as this is as much about getting better as a grower, as it is about the yield.

Time for some pics. 1st up are the 6 Blueberry that are in the water only soil.
20210604_133513-1.jpg
20210604_123544-2.jpg
20210604_123514-1.jpg
20210604_133508-1.jpg
20210604_133501-1.jpg
20210604_123556-1.jpg

Next up is the 7th Blueberry, and 2 Afghan reveg's in native soil only.
20210604_133520-1.jpg
20210604_133551.jpg
20210604_133538-1.jpg

The soaker hose I setup yesterday
20210608_172509-1.jpg

And the white tarp I put up today. Grow space is 17ft x 7.5ft
20210609_132554.jpg

I debating on lst or scrog to maximize light penetration. Haven't decided yet.

chuey_316

Here's the current pics. They're a little droopy because it was pretty cloudy all day today, and the sun has gone down.

A top and side view of each plant starting with what I will here on refer to as the main plants, and each by #, according to their spot in the ground. The 6 Blueberry with the water only soil. There is some discoloring of the lower leaves on a few o f them. This was there at the time of transplanting. I let them go too long in the cups. They seen to have all rebounded, except for one of them which looks worse now over the past couple days.

#1 Top.jpg
#1 Side.jpg

This one is the second fastest grower of the sisters
#2 Top.jpg
#2 Side.jpg

As you can see, this is the plant that's leaves have gotten worse. What does this look like?
#3 Top.jpg
#3 Side.jpg

#4 Top.jpg
#4 Side.jpg

She's putting on the fastest growth out of all of the plants.
#5 Top.jpg
#5 Side.jpg

#6 Top.jpg
#6 Side.jpg

The native Blueberry
Native BB Top.jpg
Native BB Side.jpg

Reveg #1
Front Reveg Top.jpg
Front Reveg Side.jpg

Reveg #2
I think she's going to be a good candidate for trainging. 3 pretty equal length branches around 5 or so inches in length.
Back Reveg Top.jpg
Back Reveg Side.jpg

My rain barrel. Spout on the bottom is used to water by hose or sprayer, or fill jugs. I've since added an internal pump and line, that runs out the top, and to my soaker hose.
IMG 20180929 024217

If there's anything I'm doing wrong, or not doing that I should be, please let me know.

Attachments

• #1 Top.jpg
    #1 Top.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 29
  • #1 Top.jpg
    #1 Top.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 28
  • Front Reveg Side.jpg
    Front Reveg Side.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Back Reveg Top.jpg
    Back Reveg Top.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 28

Gry

Neat thread, like the pictures, like the grow. Will enjoy watching this.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I love Blueberry strains because they are quick to finish flowering. I use hay mulch to cover the ground on all outdoor plants. It keeps the soil cool and holds moisture around the plant roots longer. In the wild outdoors, I would just use what ever local grass in the area as a mulch, and pile it high to keep the outdoor plants cooler in the hottest part of the Summer. 😎 .

chuey_316

Neat thread, like the pictures, like the grow. Will enjoy watching this.
Thanls. I try to be as detailed as possible since this is my first outdoor grow. It'll give me me something to look back on as far as what to do and what not to do, as I plan to keep this mother around for awhile. Plus it will help others help me, and I can use all the help I can get. :)

chuey_316

I love Blueberry strains because they are quick to finish flowering. I use hay mulch to cover the ground on all outdoor plants. It keeps the soil cool and holds moisture around the plant roots longer. In the wild outdoors, I would just use what ever local grass in the area as a mulch, and pile it high to keep the outdoor plants cooler in the hottest part of the Summer. 😎 .

I'll look around and see if iI can find some at my local TSC store. Is it just basically hay/straw? Do you just water over the hay, or move it aside, and replace after watering? Would I have to worry about issues with mold if I piled it up around the plants with the soaker hose under it?

Great outdoors

I'll look around and see if iI can find some at my local TSC store. Is it just basically hay/straw? Do you just water over the hay, or move it aside, and replace after watering? Would I have to worry about issues with mold if I piled it up around the plants with the soaker hose under it?

Use straw, hay has lots of seed and more chances of pesticides. You can use wood chips to but they are not as good for top dressing on. You can keep it away from the stalk but I don't really worry about that until later in the fall when mold can become an issue. Water right over the mulch, by keeping it moist you feed all kinds of critters.
I do wood chips on the side and straw on top.

PXL_20210610_171057831.jpg

chuey_316

Thanks. Now about the mulch, when you say "by keeping it moist you feed all kinds of critters", do you mean not to keep it moist because it will attract rodents, or that they'll be more likely to eat some mulch, rather that nibbling on my ladies?

Great outdoors

Thanks. Now about the mulch, when you say "by keeping it moist you feed all kinds of critters", do you mean not to keep it moist because it will attract rodents, or that they'll be more likely to eat some mulch, rather that nibbling on my ladies?

No, I mean good things like soil microbes, worms, etc. Not only does the mulch insulate the soil and require less watering, it also feeds soil life on the surface which in turn becomes food for your plants.
Once you get into mulch you will never allow naked soil again. Makes me cringe to look at.

Great outdoors

Btw the droopy leaves are just the plants getting used to their new soil. Should clear up in a week or so as long as pH or nutrient levels aren't crazy out of whack.

chuey_316

I'll grab some straw once I get get a day off. It's been 85-90º, with also 85-90% humidity. here for the past week. I work out of my vehicle all day with no ac, and only get out for 30 seconds to a minute at a time. By the time I get home, I'm physically exhausted. I can get bales a straw locally for $8 a bale. How much would you say per plant? Also you mentioned top dressing. How does that work with the mound of straw. do you just pull it back, and replace it afterwards?

Great outdoors

A bale will easily do them all. You might use half now and top up with the other half later in the season.
Just top dress right on top of the straw. It's porous enough that everything will wash right in when you water.

chuey_316

Thanks. I'll check your diary out.

I was planning on getting a bale today, but then this happened.
20210611_224321.jpg

A girl came haulin' ass around me in daddy's new jeep, and clipped me. Now I have to fix it tomorrow, so it's ready for work on Monday. An alignment, and a new fan clutch, or maybe an efan conversion.

Attachments

• 20210611_224321.jpg
    20210611_224321.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 26

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I just use anything local and natural.

Attachments

• photo2051280.jpg
    photo2051280.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 29
  • photo2051281.jpg
    photo2051281.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 26
  • photo2051282.jpg
    photo2051282.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 25
  • photo2051284.jpg
    photo2051284.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 22

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
These are plants during a super hot and dry Summer in the wild! Using mulch is the only way to grow here in Aug. because it gets very hot, 98 to 105 F, or 40 C daily. The mulch holds water in the ground and keeps the ground temps cooler.

Attachments

• photo2051285.jpg
    photo2051285.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 25
  • photo2051286.jpg
    photo2051286.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 23
  • photo2051287.jpg
    photo2051287.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 22
  • photo2051288.jpg
    photo2051288.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 24

chuey_316

Trimming some lower growth to make room for the straw. Should this be enough, or should I go another node? There's about 3-4" of space now.
20210613_183847.jpg
20210613_183839.jpg

Last edited:

chuey_316

Laid down some straw. All the rain we were supposed to get, and we haven't had a single drop in almost a week, and now they're saying no rain for the next 4-5 days, so I had to water with my garden hose. I'm on city water with about 270ppm, and I'm sure it can't be good for the soil life and the myco I've been using during transplants.
20210613_190342.jpg

Gry

Looks like you have invested a good deal of time and work into what you have done there so far. What kind of size do those plants get to
grown outside at your location ?

Latest posts

Latest posts