What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gettin the Hands Dirty: Mother Search 2021

swapmeet

So.... Here we are again. In the last episode, I had some fun setting up a grow and starting my mother search. I was experimenting with several things in kind of a harsh environment that was giving me constant troubles. I was also experimenting with different setup ideas. At one point, I decided to just flower the young moms and move to a more favorable location with an ideal climate, rather than a hellish one. Then, COVID had the place I wanted to move on lock-down for months. Finally, I got moved into the new spot with the ideal climate. Once I got here, I started popping seeds I had stored improperly and had terrible germ rates, and no sprouts out of like 60 seeds. So I bought all brand new genetics and they took over a month to get here.

They finally got here may 4th and I started popping beans into small solos of water. I expected to buy plain topsoil and mix it around 50/50 with perlite for my mothers the next evening. Unfortunately/fortunately, I had taproots on some of the seeds after 12-15 hours, which I did not expect. So, I decided to wait until I got the soil later to plant them. Unfortunately, I was unable to get there before they closed that day. But several taproots were getting too long, so I planted them into straight crushed compost.

On May 6th, I went and bought my soil and mixed it nearly 50/50 with the perlite. By that evening, I had many more taproots and they got planted into the soil, and the rest were pretty much planted on the 7th. Over the next few days, sprouts started popping up--actually in the soil before the compost plants. So today is May 12th, and I have the little seedlings under a 9-bulb t8 fixture. I'll go over the strains and the plan in the next post.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Attachments

• photo2044401.jpg
    photo2044401.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 47
  • photo2044402.jpg
    photo2044402.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 46
  • photo2044403.jpg
    photo2044403.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2044404.jpg
    photo2044404.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 44
  • fetch?photoid=17855363.jpg
    fetch?photoid=17855363.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 54

swapmeet

The Plan:

Those of you who know me, know that my plans often evolve. Planning is important, but so is remaining flexible and open-minded enough to allow your plan to evolve as you go.

Having said that, my plan as of right now +/- 6 days from germination is as follows:

It will be a setup with mother plants in soil, and clones going into coco.

The clones will be flowered perpetually in one of two perpetual flowering areas.

Flower area 1:

The first flower area will be a vertical rack system that I was designing with some buddies in the vert section before I moved. I really love that idea and I really want to show it working and dial it in.
When I get to the point where I am setting up and utilizing my verticle racks, I will keep track of that flower room in my verticle grow forum grow post. I am actually going to start populating Flower area 2 first.

Flower area 2:

Flower area 2 will be a perpetual greenhouse flower area. Where I am now, the light cycle is consistently 12/12 throughout the year. This is due to proximity to the equator. So farmers here enjoy multiple harvests per year here. Unfortunately, due to its proximity to the equator again, the temperature range is pretty constantly hot in the mid+ 90s in the day and upper 70s to mid-80s at night. All with humidity in the 60s %. This was my problem at the last grow spot. Now, I am at a much higher elevation that has night temps in the 60's, even upper 50s in winter, and day temps that don't break 83 in the hottest summer months. So it is good to grow a perpetual flower all year round.

Having said all of that, I cannot really veg outdoors, so I will veg vertical bushes indoors with my vert CMH setups, and move two to three bushes to flower every two weeks. Ideally, I would be harvesting 3 monsters every two weeks, or two each week. More about that when the greenhouse is built. I am having it done by a professional, then I will bury 30g or so trashcans up to flush with the ground, to keep the root mass cooler, and also control for the height and ease of pruning and branch management. The greenhouse I am planning with the builder is 10.5' x 25' x 8' tall.

First things first, I need to find the mothers. I will be growing those indoors under the 9 bulb setups I have in t8 and t5. When I am flowering the clones to find the best moms, I will probably just flower them in coco donuts as I did before. There will be two strain lists--the ones currently planted, and the ones on the way.

Strains Currently Planted:

G13 Labs- Gigabud
Seedsman- Amnesia Haze
NV- Gelato
NV- Sour Diesel
NV-Big Bud
Seedsman- Blue Dream
NV- Auto AK48
SM- Orange Cookies
SM- Blueberry
SM- White Widow
SM-Magnum Auto
Dutch Passion- Snow Bud

Strains on the way:

Barney's Farm- Dos Si Dos 33
Pyramid- Cookies USA
Barney's Farm- Runtz Muffin
Phoenix- Super Kush
Royal Queen- Wedding Gelato
Dutch Passion- Glueberry OG
SM- Fuel D.OG
Sensi Seeds- Black Dominia
SM- White Widow (freebie)
SM- Original Skunk #1
X-unknown fem freebie strain
X-unknown Fem Freebie Strain
SM Tangie Cookies
SM- Critical +
SM- Sunset
SM- Sour Diesel

We've got a long, long road ahead, but it will be fun!

I am also going to put the rest of the seeds I have lying around that were improperly stored into water to see if there is anything at all viable. So....onward...

swapmeet

Wow, you did go on a seed shopping spree. Nice variety.

Yeah, Seedsman had their 4/20 sale...so....plus 25% off for crypto paying... I also had about 26 strains lying around.... soaking in water now, but they were stored stupidly. It was just short-term at first, but short-term turned into several months and I don't know what's viable anymore, so I said f-it and just tried to germ everything and see what sticks.

I wanna get more genetics into my bunker.

It is cool at SM because you can buy small packs. So it is easy to try a bunch of strains without breaking the bank. legit stealth too... I know you already know that, so this is for others that may not lol.
I went kind of cheap on the first order because I did not yet know what the deal with non-germing high-dollar seeds was and didn't want to waste that much. The second order cost significantly more, like $250, but lots of high-quality genetics, so it's all ball.

swapmeet

I figured I should keep the seedlings a bit further away from the bulbs, even though they are only t8, because there are 9 of them. However, they have been stretching pretty seriously, so I added more soil where I could, made a straw splint for one that was too tipped to stand on its own.

Then I raised the seedings a lot closer to the light and put a fan on them to strengthen the stems. I also threw in a picture of the strains I had laying around soaking in little solos. Close to 30, but we will see what germs, if anything... Anything that shows taproots will get planted, but I am not all that optimistic that more than a few will.

fetch?photoid=17856082.jpg

fetch?photoid=17856084.jpg

fetch?photoid=17856083.jpg

fetch?photoid=17856086.jpg

fetch?photoid=17856085.jpg

Attachments

• fetch?photoid=17856086.jpg
    fetch?photoid=17856086.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 52

swapmeet

As I suspected, almost none of the improperly stored seeds germed. A few did, maybe 5. The seedlings are 10 days past their germination/planting date. They are about 6 or 7 days since the first one sprouted. That makes it 4 or 5 days since most of them sprouted. They have now stopped stretching, for the most part, and are putting out their second set of leaves. I watered the ones that were very light and a little leaf droopage.
fetch?photoid=17859047.jpg

fetch?photoid=17859048.jpg

swapmeet

A couple are looking over-watered because the cotys are turning yellow already... this is likely because the top of the medium gets dry quickly. So, I am not watering again until they are more droopy. Next watering I'll probably add a small dose, maybe 1/8-1/4 strength of peters 20-20-20...
fetch?photoid=17860633.jpg

swapmeet

Today I gave the seedlings their first dose of nutes at about 278 tds/.680 EC and pH to soil standards at 6.5. Here are before and after pictures:
fetch?photoid=17863027.jpg

You can see that the seedlings on the left front there are drooping and don't really have any nodal spacing. They seem to be right on top of each other. The second picture you can see that an hour later, they are much more perked up.

fetch?photoid=17863028.jpg

swapmeet

The paint is drying...slowly. Here is the first batch of mothers....23, I think. More strains still on the way... I really hate growing from seed lol...

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

swapmeet

They were looking a little droopy last night, so I watered them at 640ppm and 6.5 ph. I also added some h2o2 to cut down on the algae that is growing in the clear cups.
fetch?photoid=17871640.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=17871640.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.1 KB ID:	17871642

swapmeet

Since they are beginning to develop their secondary growth at each node, and because they will be mother plants, I decided to defoliate very lightly, no more than 2 leaves per plant (except one plant of which I took 4). This will allow more branching from lower nodes, which will produce more clones.

This is what the canopy looked like afterward. I will post close-ups in the next post.
fetch?photoid=17871636.jpg

swapmeet

Wish you a great start in your hunt.
Did the seedsman original skunk arrive yet? Curious to see how yours turn out!

Not yet. I should be getting the first order any day now. That one was at the end of their 4/20 sale, so it has taken almost a month to get here. I am going to pop everything as soon as they get here, so it won't be long. The first order is the biggest with the Dos Si Dos 33, Girl Scout Cookies, Runtz Muffin, Super Kush, Wedding Gelato, Glueberry OG, Fuel D.OG, Black Domina, Critical, Sour Diesel, Tangerine Cookies, Skunk #1, Seedsman Sunset, and White Widow. So I am very excited to get them. And, of course, thanks for the well-wishes.

swapmeet

Also, I transplanted yesterday. 19 moms into 22 oz cups from the 8 oz cups, and the autos from 22 oz cups to 2g pots.... Here is the proof:
fetch?photoid=17872786.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=17872786.jpg Views:	37 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	17872794

fetch?photoid=17872787.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=17872787.jpg Views:	37 Size:	46.8 KB ID:	17872795

fetch?photoid=17872785.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=17872785.jpg Views:	37 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	17872796

fetch?photoid=17872788.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=17872788.jpg Views:	37 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	17872797

I watered them a couple hours before the transplant at 6.4 ph and 750 ppm, so I will let them be for a few days. Once they settle into their new homes and start taking off again, I will be ready to top them and root the tops. Some have their 6th nodes already, and others are working on their 6th.

Attachments

• fetch?photoid=17872786&type=thumb.jpg
    fetch?photoid=17872786&type=thumb.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

swapmeet

Always a good moment!!
Certainly I also need new strains.
Hope your skunk pops out with no problems.
Will follow your hunting, have a great growing season. Best regards.

Right on. Thanks bro. I should start seeing taproots soon.
I'll keep it updated.