Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panop '09: Make 'Em Bend (CH9's Double X, Flower and Jack)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy.

I've got 3 CH9 Flower and 4 CH9 XX that are around 9-10 days above ground. I've also got 5 CH9 Jack around 2 days above ground for two of them, I'm still waiting on the other three to pop up above soil level. I raised the light up a bit so I could get a decent photo. Imagine it a few inches lower.

I had originally germinated 5 Mandala Satori seeds along with the XX and Flower, but only two popped tails and only one broke ground. I killed the last one in favor of running five more feminized seeds. The two groups are roughly a week apart in terms of growth.

I've been burning my plants in the last few grows with liquid ferts, so I'm giving organic growing a go.

I've pulled together all the ingredients for this run from LC's soilless mix:
    Originally posted by panopticist

3.8 cu ft. Premier Canadian Sphagnum moss I got 50% off on the bag because a stocker had gashed the thing to the point where it couldn't be sold full price. A few strips of packing tape later, I got the thing for $6.00 US. Keep up the hard work, boys...

Miracle Grow Perlite Sadly, this stuff comes coated with plant food, so I'll give it a rinse before using.

Gardenlime Ground Dolomitic limestone The stuff's ground to a powder, not pelletized. Also, the Calcium percentage is roughly double that of the Magnesium, so I'm willing to bet this is what I need...

Timberline Mushroom Compost

Miracle Grow Blood meal (12-0-0)

Miracle Grow Bone meal (6-9-0)

Nitrozyme Marine Algae extract (0-4-4) I asked the guy at the hydro store about Maxicrop and he said that they didn't stock that particular brand but carried this and one other similar product with a much lower NPK ratio.
    I won't be able to mix this into my peat with all the other dry ingredients, but only adding two things to my water (this extract and molasses) shouldn't be that big of a chore. The part of the label that I didn't show says to add 1-2 teaspoons per quart of water every week.

Liquid Karma (.1-.1-.5) Not pictured.

Espoma Greensand (0-0-.1)
    I started the popped seeds off in the soilless mix sans-nutes. Once they had two sets of leaves and started to yellow, I transplanted them into the mix with the blood and bone meal, Nitrozyme, Liquid Karma, and greensand. (The mix was watered once with a dose of LK and was turned every few days for two weeks before anything was planted in it.)

They perked up immediately and grew a new set of leaves overnight.

Hopefully this whole organic business will help me get my burning tendencies under control.

My recent grows have all been these low maintenance affairs where I do very little to the plant other than feed, water, and turn it. I used to get pretty involved in the whole LST business when I only had a puny cab to work with and it was kinda fun.

I vegged that NLxWR under a few CFLs for 17 weeks.

Here it its a couple of weeks later under a 150w HPS:
    Originally posted by panopticist
    NLxWR @ day 3 flower...

It's currently 13" in diameter and is roughly 3" tall...
    I'm going to give LST another go, only this time under a 400. Should be interesting...
    Last edited by panopticist; 11-17-2009, 02:19.
    sigpic

Panop '09: Cool as a Fan (CH9 Mendocino and Mandala Kalichakra)
    Panop '09: Back Inaction (Mandala Satori & Kalichakra, Nirvana Ice, CH9 Hashplant)
    harvested mid-April

Old Threads:
    Microgrowin' with Panop: Bubbleicious & NLxWR • Snow White Micro Grow: Round 1, Round 2 & Round 3
    Panopticab: 150w HPS or 252w CFL cabinet • Spindle Cloner - Cloning made hella-simple

Other Good Reads:
    NPKMandala Appreciation Grow 2009 Sammet's House of Plastic GROW TENTS !!!!!!!!!
    Re-veg threadGood tincture infoButane Honey Oil for Dummies

Good luck bro (not that you need it) I'm tagged.

Will really be keeping a eye on this one for the organic teachings.

First question: That one watering you did to the soil mixture, how much LK to what % of water? Thanks in advance.
    Happy Growing

My First Grow
    http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112371

"I found that growing plants IS actually addictive...using them...not so much". dank frank

Comment

Your tent is going to be a velcro-LST jungle soon enough. I will agree that getting involved with the plants is a lot of fun. The more time observing, the better finished product is what has worked for me from the beginning. I hope that organic soil mix does the trick for you.

How long do you plan to veg to get the LST going?

-Funk
      Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.

Bertrand Russell

Comment

Have you begun flowering yet? How are they liking that soil mix you made?

-Funk

Bertrand Russell

Comment

One month since the last post

-Funk

Bertrand Russell

Comment

Day 7 Flower

Sorry for the brevity, I don't have much time to chat today.

My A/C died out twice at the end of summer, scorching two of my eight plants. One is up front, the other in back. All the rest seem to be doing well despite my utter lack of attention.

I watered with molasses, liquid karma and liquid kelp once a week and topped the plants twice. I wasn't able to go ahead with my LST plan due to a number of external forces, maybe next time.

I am definitely a believer in LC's soilless mix, it kept my plants looking great and well-fed even when I could only devote the bare minimum of time to keep them alive. I'll be interested in seeing how the mix works out for flower...

My updates should be a bit more regular from here on out. 'Til next time...
            sigpic

Panop '09: Back Inaction (Mandala Satori & Kalichakra, Nirvana Ice, CH9 Hashplant)
            harvested mid-April

Old Threads:
            Microgrowin' with Panop: Bubbleicious & NLxWR • Snow White Micro Grow: Round 1, Round 2 & Round 3
            Panopticab: 150w HPS or 252w CFL cabinet • Spindle Cloner - Cloning made hella-simple

Other Good Reads:
            NPKMandala Appreciation Grow 2009 Sammet's House of Plastic GROW TENTS !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your A/C headache. Those plants are looking good despite everything that has happened. Hopefully they will bounce back and pack on weight during flowering

-Funk

Bertrand Russell

Comment

How are your plant recovering? Have the cooler temperatures helped things along?

-Funk

Bertrand Russell

Comment

Pardon my mess...

Soooooooooooo, here we are, two and a half months later. My grow is over, the plants turned out great despite the heat issues I suffered late August/early September.

The total haul for all eight plants was somewhere around three and one quarter ounces, my best so far. I think I owe much of my success to the organic mix I started using in this grow.

I took down the Flowers first at eight and a half weeks. The Double Xs fell shortly after at 9 and a half weeks. The Jacks went down last at 10 weeks.

I don't have individual numbers, but the Flowers produced the most bud, hands down. The Double Xs were a close second, but were a little taller with larger internode spacing. I couldn't get a fair reading off the Jacks, due to the heat issues which led to stunted growth. The good news is that what little Jack I did get is phenomenal...

Which brings us to the smoke report.

Jack

Jack is dank, musky, earthy, mildly sweet and nose-bitingly astringent all at the same time. The smell is difficult to name, but unmistakeable. Definitely a heavy 'gas' vibe. Burns so good, I guess. The flavor is sharp, but not harsh; funky and skunky. There is very little if any fruit or floral overtones, but the bud still manages to have a dark sweetness about it. Very nice.

The buzz is great all over and is nearly evenly split between head and body, about 45% and 55%, respectively. It isn't a super spacey smoke either, so you can definitely bake up and not go all 'slow-motion' out in public. Plus, it looks like it has a tendency to go purple, so style points are in order.

The flavor alone is worth a thumbs-up. The buzz could be a bit heavier, but you can't stay inside all day, right?

Double X

Double X has a sweet floral scent, pungent but not the strong 'gas' vibe that I've gotten off of other strains. When vaporized, the sweetness definitely carries over into the flavor. There is a hint of freshness as well, but this could be a hold-over from the curing process. The flavor is very light, not like the intense candy taste found in a strain like sour diesel.

The buzz stays mostly in the head, but features some body stone. Double X definitely is a hybrid with a sativa lean to it. However, the result is less of a racey head-ringer and more of a spacey, expansive, dissociative vibe. Once Ms. Panopticist and I vaped a sizable bowl, we immediately clammed up. So it's a great strain for concentrating on some detailed task, reading or chilling to some music; not so awesome for social interaction. That's not a criticism so much as it is an observation. I like the sensation, others might not.

The strain gets a solid thumbs-up for its spacey high.

Flower

Flower lives up to its name by being sweet, fruity, floral, yet slightly skanky at the same time. The flavor is bright and clean, with a citrusy/peachy taste that hangs out in the background. The buzz stays mostly in the body, an excellent chill out smoke. It's great for hanging out on the couch, watching movies or playing a video game with friends. It isn't too heavy, however, so baking before heading out for the day is no trouble.

Though Flower is nothing out of the ordinary, its relaxed stone and sweet flavor, coupled with the sheer size of the buds, is more than enough to earn a thumbs up. I would consider this a good strain if you want to produce a lot of bud in a short amount of time. Just LST or FIM/top to get a bunch of monster colas.

So there you have it, three solid offerings from CH9.

Though this thread turned into a bit of a trainwreck, I'll do a better job documenting the process next time. So follow along next time when I run three more CH9 strains: Pineapple, Vintage 2006, and Ms. Panopticist's personal fave, Hashplant.
                  Last edited by panopticist; 02-01-2010, 18:20.
                  sigpic

harvested mid-April

Old Threads:

Other Good Reads:

Comment

Hey Panop good to hear you're well and the grow went okay!

I have been looking at some of the CH9's and it's nice to read such detailed reviews
                    3+ oz sounds damn good if that was 150w HPS.
                    Good luck on your next round and stop in more!

Cheers
                    Helis
                    All-In-One Cab w/ 1st grow

DIY Hardware Store E&F Fittings

High!

Comment

Originally posted by Helis View Post
                      3+ oz sounds damn good if that was 150w HPS.
                      I vegged under a 250w MH and flowered under a 400w HPS.
                      I don't think I have what it takes to pull off three onions under a 150w.
                      sigpic

harvested mid-April

Old Threads:

Other Good Reads:

Comment

Working...
                      X