What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150W HPS Mini Fridge SOG or ScrOG -WW, Satori, Bagseed-

idontsmoke

Dear Diary, khmm.. no...

Hello ICMAG,

Introduction

Long time ago i had an idea to grow some nugz in my home. First few attempts failed miserably do to lack of knowlage, money and stealth problems.
Not long after last one failed i stoped smoking because "street weed" was not good at all - usualy pressed, too dry, smell like petrol etc.
It has bean 4 years since then and i wake up one day thinking "Im gonna start growing agan".
So i look over my bookmarks and see lots of stuff i remember reading on www.overgrow.com, and, to my surprise, none of them work.
Turns out, overgrow was shut down by the police or smt. like that. After bit of googling i found myself here.

The Setup

My goal is to make as much as i can from stuff i have lying around or the stuff i can get for free.
This will make most of the stuff look very crude and ugly.

Enough yapping, lets get to it.
Here's the fridge (junkyard salvage) after initial setup with light on...

... and version 2.0 with lights off.

Internal dimensions of the fridge are 40cm x 40cm x 70cm (16" x 16" x 28") so that gives about 1.3sqft if im not mistaking.

Ventilation

Intakes are 3 x 8cm passive with PC case dust filters on them to prevent nasty stuff from geting in.
Exaust is 12cm Antec Tri-Cool case fan. This ventilation setup is keeping temps around 28C (83F) and staying totaly silent.
After adding light trap to exaust fan the temps went over 100F so for now it's without light trap.

Im planing on using this baby i found on local junkyard in kitchen exaust hood.

This thing moves ALOT of air and stays relatively silent. With a little tinkering i made voltage regulator from old vacuum cleaner (another junkyard salvage)

On my TODO list concerning ventilation is:

1. Get some dryer hose and test fit the whole thing.
2. Make carbon scrubber (plenty of DIY links around here)

Lighting

Light used is Philips SON-T 150W HPS bulb with custom made magnetic ballast.
Ballast sits in PC power supply case and is cooled with original 12cm fan that came with te PSU.
Light is partialy separated from rest of the fridge with 14"x14" peace of tempered glass (salvage from old oven) which leaves 1" gap on all four sides

All electronics will be housed in "The Hump" copyright KolorBlind in the back of the fridge:

:yeahthats
(The odd looking red and black stuff in the back are my attempt of light trap made of cardboard and black trash bags)

TODO list for Lighting:

1. Get extension cord in there and wire the ballast to timer

The Plan - input needed.

In the fridge pics above you probably noticed ScrOG screen.
At the moment im debating between perpetual SOG and ScrOG.

I would rather go with perpetual SOG (need to make mom/clone cab) for maximum yeld, simpler maintenance and constant stream of nugz :joint:
The problem with SOG is The Hump which is takin room for 3-4 plants.
I see two ways around that:
1. Put the plants on The Hump and LST them to fit
2. Use The Hump for clones that are entering flowering, and as soon as i harvest 3-4 plants (every two weeks), place them lower with there older sisters.

The other option is ScrOG. I would use one, maybe two plants in there.
The problem with ScrOG is keeping even canopy, watering in limited space, trimming, gettig plant(s) out of fridge for potential flushing etc.
It also requires knowlage of the strain you are growing (how much screen to fill before flipping to 12/12, how much will they strech in flowering) which i dont have being a newb i am. :wallbash:

From my newb point of view SOG looks more newb friendly and leaves more room for fuckups. What do you pplz think? SOG or ScrOG?

Currenty im waiting for seeds to arrive from Nirvana and few other seed banks. Nirvana screwed up my first order so it's been whole month since i ordered seeds.
Hope to see those soon... what's the point of having where when u don't have what?

Latter ppl:joint:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
You're right. Sog has many benefits over scrog, IMO. In your case (because of the hump) I'd go scrog. Make the screen and flower pot one unit by attaching the screen to a board beneath the flower pot. This will enable you to remove the entire plant, screen and pot w/o stressing the plant.

My goal is to make as much as i can from stuff i have lying around or the stuff i can get for free. This will make most of the stuff look very crude and ugly.

Your craftsmanship more than makes up for the "crude and ugly." I must say it turned out very nice.

hey idontsmoke i just checked out KolorBlinds minifridge and seen your thread figured id check it out. nice and clean. iv started my own mini fridge build of my own. its a lil bigger than yours but as soon as i get done with it iv got the same minifridge youve got and thatl be my next project. for the build iv got going now il be running a 200w cfl and was wondering why you chose to go with the 150w HPS? if it works out i may use it on my next project

KolorBlind

All electronics will be housed in "The Hump" copyright KolorBlind in the back of the fridge

Haha, you crack me up man, somehow I missed that the first time I read it.

Man the fridge looks great, I hope you decide to go ScROG even though it has its pains. I totally agree with DB on making the pot/screen as one, that seems like it woud help a TON if you could just remove the whole assembly, plants & all, then water em and stick them back in. Whatever you decide to do Im subscribed!

As far as the scrubber goes, I highly recommend the DIY I used found here. I put it after my exhaust fan, which is ona 100CFM setting, and it is a great light trap/muffler combo. The sound of whooshing air coming out of the back of a mini fridge is kinda odd :p

Good luck and keep the pictures flowing!!
KB

idontsmoke

You're right. Sog has many benefits over scrog, IMO. In your case (because of the hump) I'd go scrog. Make the screen and flower pot one unit by attaching the screen to a board beneath the flower pot. This will enable you to remove the entire plant, screen and pot w/o stressing the plant.

Your craftsmanship more than makes up for the "crude and ugly." I must say it turned out very nice.

Hey DB, thanks for stoping by.
I am planing to use original box for vegetables that came with the fridge:

As you can see its snug fit with the fridge walls so i can't really make it the way you proposed, but i think i can make some sort of support on the bottom of the pot,
attach the scrog to that and after i add the soil in there it should be fairly strong.

Maybe i ditch the whole idea and buy new taller and narrower pot and attach the screen that way.

What do you think, should i trim the screen a bit to make the holes bigger or is this fine.
Note - 1.5V AAA battery for comparison:

I was thinking of removing every other vertical wire.

hey idontsmoke i just checked out KolorBlinds minifridge and seen your thread figured id check it out. nice and clean. iv started my own mini fridge build of my own. its a lil bigger than yours but as soon as i get done with it iv got the same minifridge youve got and thatl be my next project. for the build iv got going now il be running a 200w cfl and was wondering why you chose to go with the 150w HPS? if it works out i may use it on my next project

Hey Black Sheep

I choose HPS over CFL because it was cheeper to get me components for HPS and wire them myself than runing bunch of CFL's.
At first i was thinking CFL's are the way to go with micro, after seeing Dr.Bud, Thundurkel, Aerohead, Hydro-Soil and many others who used CFL's and got great results,
but thats too much wiring for me. I was set to get me some 36W PLL's and run 4 on the roof and few on the sides but those are waaaaay too much expensive here.
Not to mention i can't get my hands on ballasts stronger than 55W for those, and that would make my wiring living hell, especialy if something has to be debugged...:wallbash:

Haha, you crack me up man, somehow I missed that the first time I read it.

Man the fridge looks great, I hope you decide to go ScROG even though it has its pains. I totally agree with DB on making the pot/screen as one, that seems like it woud help a TON if you could just remove the whole assembly, plants & all, then water em and stick them back in. Whatever you decide to do Im subscribed!

As far as the scrubber goes, I highly recommend the DIY I used found here. I put it after my exhaust fan, which is ona 100CFM setting, and it is a great light trap/muffler combo. The sound of whooshing air coming out of the back of a mini fridge is kinda odd :p

Good luck and keep the pictures flowing!!
KB

Thanks for stoping by Kolor Blind

I will probably go with the whole ScrOG idea, especialy since everyone is telling me to go with it. That will give me time to dial in whole grow, and maybe later i go with SOG, build new NGB cab, switch to LED's and run a marathon :joint:

That is one great scrubber. Unfortunetly, its not ghetto enough for me :D
I think it was ScrubNinja that made some sort of a scrubber using rubbermaid container and PC fans.
I have picture bookmarked
picture.php

Something along those lines probably.

Still no seeds...:badday: oh well, im of to the Beer Fest :woohoo:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey mate looking promising - i do a modular scrog if you check my diary out (screen attached to pots) i find it works great.

if you are planning on using that clear container as the pot you will need to black it out somehow as roots dont like light. you may find it is too brittle - keep an eye out for a pot size that you can fit 4 pots in the fridge.

good luck

V.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Hey DB, thanks for stoping by.
I am planing to use original box for vegetables that came with the fridge:

As you can see its snug fit with the fridge walls so i can't really make it the way you proposed, but i think i can make some sort of support on the bottom of the pot,
attach the scrog to that and after i add the soil in there it should be fairly strong.

Maybe i ditch the whole idea and buy new taller and narrower pot and attach the screen that way.

I see it's a little tight. Any way you can attach the whole thing together that allows easy removal and insertion. I know, it's not as easy as I try to make it sound. VG has a good suggestion to ditch the board and just attack the screen to the pot.

What do you think, should i trim the screen a bit to make the holes bigger or is this fine.

I don't think it's that critical. Whatever you prefer. I've read that 2" square is cool but not required.

idontsmoke

hey mate looking promising - i do a modular scrog if you check my diary out (screen attached to pots) i find it works great.

if you are planning on using that clear container as the pot you will need to black it out somehow as roots dont like light. you may find it is too brittle - keep an eye out for a pot size that you can fit 4 pots in the fridge.

good luck

V.

Hey VerdantGreen and thanks for stoping by.

While researching for current build i looked almost every thread that had "scrog" in title. Yours came up and was bookmarked right away!
Your scrog is just enough "ghetto" for me. Nothing fancy - simplicity at it's best! :joint:
Amazing buds you have growing in there man. :respect:

I planed to duct tape the whole thing and keep the light from roots.

Today i received notification from post office to come and pick up my, i hope, seeds. :woohoo:
More updates tomorow!!!

idontsmoke

Guess what arrived today :jump:

Still nothing on previous order... no WW just yet. :badday:

Gonna get started on mom cab tomorrow so i can sex plants before i get them all tangled in that screen.

daddy fingaz

Howdi Mr IDS,

im pleased with the amount of grows poppin up in fridges, there great, ive used one for a couple of years now, use CFL's in mine and usually do 6 plants at a time in the same sort of fridge as yours, mine also has an annoying hump, the last few grows i have done i have actually used 2 litre coke bottles taped up with black tape as pots and can train the plants nicely over the 'hump', funnily enough im actually considerin Satori on my next run aswell!

Got some old pics in my gallery of when it was first set up if u wanna take a look, will happily help with any questions!!

good luck with the grow!

Peace DF! :joint:

idontsmoke

Hey Black Sheep
Nothing major really... Made some adjustments to the fridge ventilation,
and made a mom/clone box from laundry basket. :D
Started few Satori seeds, 2 days ago but still nothing popping out of the dirt.
Will update this thread when, hopefuly girls, pop there heads out.

Stay green!

idontsmoke

Haaaanyway, got a small update.

We have a lift-off!!! :woohoo:

The first Satori entered world earlyer this morning after 5 days in the dirt. She spent 2 days in papper towel on my DSL modem till she cracked and 3 days in plastic cup in which she still is.
Same goes for two other upper cups.

As for the lower row of cups, they are used to germinate seeds in the dirt from the start, as advised by Mandala seeds. They are 3 days old.

On with the cab pron!

This my newly built mom/clone box.
It's an old laundry basket i had. Here it is in it's "stealth" mode.

This is the lid with two 23W 6500K Philips CFL's with 1300lm each mounted and painted flat white.

A bit of electrocution hazard for now, but will address that later on.

Dimensions are roughly 16"Wx12"Dx22"H.
I'm thinking 2600lm is a bit low for this amount of space, don't you think?

I redid most of the ventilation in the fridge yesterday.
Changed passive intakes on the fridge. Now they are 8cm PVC 90 degree elbows which helped light leaks tremendously.

Exaust was also changed from crappy 12cm PC fan to this baby.

At third of the max speed this baby is keeping the fridge just at the room temp and staying dead silent.
Now my wories are if the fridge is too damn quiet.:yoinks:

Here's the latest pic of the fridge for all the cab pron lovers :joint:

That's it for now folks.
Stay green!

i like the laundry basket idea. who would ever think to look there? what brand fan is that? and what are the specs? fridge is looking pretty sweet hope the new babies turn out good for you!

idontsmoke

Hey Black Sheep lol
The fan is from old kitchen exaust hood i found on junkyard :D
I don't know the exact cfm but it looks like it could handle 400W HPS with ease!

For now, 3 sprouted and are looking healthy.

The plan is to veg them in the basket long enough to take some clones. After the clones establish roots, i pop them in the fridge and flower them to determine sex.
If i get any males in test flower i will collect some polen for later and pollinate few popcorn buds for seeds.
I'm getting realy interested in crossing diferent strains. Makes me feel like mad scientist!!!:yoinks:

idontsmoke

Ok.
So, you remember this little sprout from 9 days ago?

This is her after 9 days under 46W of 6500K CFL.
\
Notice the weird 4th little leaf. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be only 3 at this stage?
Here's a better picture.

This is her one day younger sister.

And a group shot with 3 more sprouts, each 1 day older than another.

They are currently sitting in 16oz plastic cups with drainage holes poked in the bottom.
Soil is 50% best available soil with some coco fibers mixed in there, 40% perlite and 10% small hydroton.
I water them every second - third day till runoff and add some water in tray in which cups sit in.
Current light cycle is 24/0, but i will be switching to 18/6 today.

Stay green :joint: