What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NHS: a new but old strain from MNS

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
+ NHS or National Health Service or NL5 Haze x Skunk

Hello All :smile:

Here's some details for my forthcoming grow. I've been incredibley fortunate to have been selected to help test the new lines for Mr Nice seeds and have been given the honour of testing the new take on NL5xHaze, one of my alltime favourites. Below you'll find the tech spec and grow plan for the grow and below that you'll find some information from Shantibabas' strain description.

For those that understand the implications of this, here are a few quotes from Shanti with regards some of the background for these genetics..

Shantibaba said:
NHS or National Health Service or NL5 Haze x Skunk uses the original selection of Nevilles NL5HazeC female to a rather strong skunk line from a batch of very old seed I selected from 1988.

Shantibaba said:
the skunk line used is one from old Nev seed from a batch of 1988...I believe one he originally received from Sam when they were friendly. I cracked about 150 seeds and only got 5 plants to pop...of which all the girls were nothing special...but one of the boys seemed to show excellent genetic dominance with everything he was combined to ...so kept him in the wings for a long time and this was his first proper working inside a breed.

NHS Specs:
--------------

Seedling Stage

10 seeds will be started (saving 10) in my "High-Kea" veg box under 190 watts of blue CFL until theyre 6-10 inches tall (2-4 weeks).
Seedlings will be started in 0.6 liter pots in Coco and fed Canna Coco A+B (0.5ml week1) 1ml + Cannazym 1ml + Rhizotonic 1ml
pH 5.8, EC 1-1.25

Veg and Pre Flower Stage

Plants will then be moved to my DR100 to veg under 250 watts of red CFL until they're 18-24 inches tall (2-4 weeks) before being flipped in this room until sexed (2-3 weeks) when clones will be taken.
Seedlings will be transfered to their "final" pots which are 12 liters and fed Canna Coco A+B 1ml - 1.5ml .
pH 5.8, EC 1.25-1.50

Flowering

All proven females will then be moved to my DR120 under 850 watts of sodium for the remainder of flowering (6-8 weeks).
Plants will be fed Canna Coco A+B 1ml-1.5ml plus H&G Bud XL 1ml from week 4 of flowering until week 7 being replaced by H&G Top Booster (pk13/14) for 3 days during week 6 of flowering.
pH 5.8, EC 1.25-2.00 (during PK boost)

Flushing

(lets hope we get this far :D)
Flush will be 7-10 days with the pots then being left "dry" for the final 3-4 days. The flush will include a final flush before the "dry out" whereby the EC of the run off will be lowered until it matches the EC of the water going in - in my case 0.67...
pH 5.8, EC as little as possible :wink:

everything above is subject to change as I find out more about how these plants like to grow. All comments, feedback and advice will be gratefully accepted

official website description

NHS-National Health Service (NL5/Haze x Skunk)

Since Neville brought the NL5, Haze and Skunk into being as stable hybrids in the late 80s and offered them as seed, these strains all became well known and loved by their growers in all parts of the globe. Most all strains that are offered in various other Seed companies use these 3 strains to make up their own named strains...and understandably so! Since this hybrid only contains 25% Haze it will be a practical Haze plant to grow in all types of grows. Its pedigree is made up of only winners and can be traced back to the beginning of the Cannabis revolution in breeding. Expect it to go for between 56-70 days in an indoor grow setup. In the northern hemisphere it would be expected to finish in October. In the southern hemisphere it would be expected to be finished late March. One of the all time classic hybrids that expect to yield at least 500 grams per square meter and possible a lot more depending upon you technique of growing. Giving it the name NHS-national health service implies it is able to treat the sick to a healthy state of mind and body...if you never tried it give it a go, you will understand my words better once it is in your possession!

Heritage: NL5/Hz x Skunk

Category: Exclusive limited editions - New blends of old school genetics

Family of breed: 25% Northern lights, 25% Haze and 50 % Skunk

Breeder: Nevil and Shantibaba

Preferred medium: bio and hydro, outdoors/greenhouse

Expected yield: One of the all time classic hybrids that expect to yield at least 500 grams per square meter and possible a lot more depending upon you technique of growing.

Flowering period: Since this hybrid only contains 25% Haze it will be a practical Haze plant to grow in all types of grows.Expect it to go for between 56-70 days in an indoor grow setup . In the northern hemisphere it would be expected to finish in October.In the southern

Recommendations: Not a lot to say when recommending a plant that made a historical impact on the Cannabis world since the 80s thanks to Neville. It has graced the grow rooms of two generations of growers and if I have anything to do with it, I will keep that going for as

Special Notes: The best way to select a keeper since most will be in that category is to keep the best three plants from a packet of seeds that offer the flavors and effect you desire. Make sure you flower the selected 3 more than one time as it can be that the one you thought was third initially will be the best on the second flowering.

happy growing all
j :smile:

nhs_direct4.gif

JamieShoes

Veteran
This has actually started btw....

10 seeds (of 20) were soaked for 24 hours. All sank and one even vacated it's shell entirely, something I've never seen before. All 10 have been planted straight to medium (coco), I'm really hoping this "brazen" approach to leaving out all the tissue papers, and sponge pots etc pays off

Ok, so here's a foto of 10 pots with coco in them... lol... gripping huh?... ok, give it time

happy growing all

Attachments

• nhs.23.05.09.JPG
    nhs.23.05.09.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 24

JamieShoes

Veteran
thanks for looking in all :smile:

the news so far... I planted 10 seeds straight to medium after a 24 hour soak... 9 of 10 have broken the surface so far, and there's still plenty of time for the 10th..

2 things I can gather from this so far. Firstly, people who've experianced bad germ rates from MNS seed stock are victim to handling AFTER it's left the seedbanks hands as so far I've seen near 100% germination on ALL test grows so far at the MNS boards on seeds sent directly. Secondly, all that tissue paper, heating pad, sponge pot, riot cube, peat pot stuff... it's a phallacy, designed to get you to spend more cash. I decided to be "brave" and just plant the seeds this time and so far, no regrets :smile:

amoril

2 things I can gather from this so far. Firstly, people who've experianced bad germ rates from MNS seed stock are victim to handling AFTER it's left the seedbanks hands as so far I've seen near 100% germination on ALL test grows so far at the MNS boards on seeds sent directly. Secondly, all that tissue paper, heating pad, sponge pot, riot cube, peat pot stuff... it's a phallacy, designed to get you to spend more cash. I decided to be "brave" and just plant the seeds this time and so far, no regrets :smile:

I second that paragraph...my thoughts exactly.

glad youre up and runnin man. start getting the 'wow-meter' ready.....

Sign me up. You suck, and I mean that with all respect. Test seeds for Mr. Nice, sheeeesh. I'm just jealous. So what do I gotta do to be a tester for your finished product? I'm really not all that fond of anywhere I've lived in the US, hmmmmmm?

Seriously though, good luck with this. I'd feel a bit nervous doing a test thing, but I'd get over it quick and have a blast as I'm sure you will. I'd love to see some more Neville's Haze beans and crosses from MNS, if they happen to be following along with your grow. :wink:

New frosty nugs to come, gotta love that. Helps you get over the loss of the last chop quickly, for me anyway.

JamieShoes

Veteran
hehee I proper laffed then, Jed :D

I can understand your point on feeling a bit nervous and I didn't think I stood a cats chance when I applied for the test run... I worded my application to suggest that it might also be worthwhile giving "newbies" a chance at testing as then you can more accurately rate the "difficulty" :wink: .. I think Shantis' approach was always going to include newbs though as he's more concerned with getting real feedback and not just asking seasoned growers to run near perfect grows which won't really tell him much that he doesnt know already... in his own words "I already know what my mothers look like" :D

cheers

p.s you're more than welcome to pop round for a test toke mate... just let me know when you're in town :wink:

hehee I proper laffed then, Jed :D

I can understand your point on feeling a bit nervous and I didn't think I stood a cats chance when I applied for the test run... I worded my application to suggest that it might also be worthwhile giving "newbies" a chance at testing as then you can more accurately rate the "difficulty" :wink: .. I think Shantis' approach was always going to include newbs though as he's more concerned with getting real feedback and not just asking seasoned growers to run near perfect grows which won't really tell him much that he doesnt know already... in his own words "I already know what my mothers look like" :D

cheers

p.s you're more than welcome to pop round for a test toke mate... just let me know when you're in town :wink:

That makes perfect sense to me, MNS knows what they are doing. Of course they should have testers that aren't all seasoned pros to get a better picture of their product from many different types of growers. Shows you how professional and thorough MNS are about their products. Good stuff.

When I do cross the pond I'm going to stay for a year and really try to see as much as I can over there. I'll stop through.

JamieShoes

Veteran
here we go.. 10 for 10... can't say better than that really :D

Attachments

• nhs.27.05.09.JPG
    nhs.27.05.09.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 20

JamieShoes

Veteran
nice one :wink:

ok so, so far so good..

I've been giving them a "baby" dose of 1ml A+B 2ml Rhizo and 1ml zym this week, and they seems to be loving it.. I give them that and then pH'd water for 2 days ..

and here they are.. day 8 above ground :D

Attachments

• NHS.01.06.09.JPG
    NHS.01.06.09.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 20

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Lucky you Jamie, this sounds like a great hybrid. Subscribed!