What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panop '09: Cool as a Fan (CH9 Mendocino and Mandala Kalichakra)

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Howdy.

picture.php

I've got 5 CH9 Mendocino seedlings (left) that broke ground two days ago. I've got 2 Kalichakra seedlings (right), one above ground and the other ready to break through. There are 3 more still germinating, hopefully they'll pop soon. I've also got a germinating Kalichakra mystery cross seed that was pollenated by either another Kalichakra, Satori or Ice plant. (I don't know which.)

It's summer and hot as hell, so this one's going to be low-wattage. I'm going to air cool a 250w and might implement a little training to make better use of the smaller light source. Right now they're under 4x 34 watt flouro tubes.

I'll update as things start to happen.

Cool, a new show. I'd really like to try some CH9 beans, their Aroma most of all I think. I like being able to choose 3 or 4 strains from places like CH9 or Mandala for the same price as one strain from the perceived "elites". Good stuff so far for me. Thanks for sharing your efforts, I'm tuned in.

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Day 4 veg

Day 4 veg

The Mendocino outgrew their mini pots so I dropped them straight into 1 gal. buckets.

picture.php
picture.php

Not much progress on the Kalichakra. One more seed popped, but I've only got one above ground. The rest of the seeds I dropped into water and gave them a good day's soak. Afterwards, I put them back into moist towels and sat on top of my cable box. Hopefully I'll see some more little tails soon...

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Day 15 veg

Day 15 veg

Since we last spoke, I broke out the tent and 250w MH.
The seedlings have been under the light for two days now and have really started to take off.

picture.php

I only had three of five Kalichakras germinate, and of those one stalled, leaving only two. The Kalichakra mystery cross germed properly, but it stalled as well. I don't know what the deal is with my KC's this time around, my mortality rate was kinda high this grow...

BTW: I gave the seedlings their first feeding today once I noticed the cotyledons starting to yellow. I fed with the usual stuff; molasses @ 1 tsp/gal, Flora Nova Grow @ .5 tsp/gal, Liquid Karma @ 1 tsp/gal, Cal-Mag @ 1 tsp/gal.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Very nice looking mini-grow you've got going. Are you vegging for a month then flipping into flower? I'll be watching for sure. Best of luck

-Funk

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Day 18 veg

Day 18 veg

picture.php

Still growing...

The plant in the center was looking a little haggard, so I pulled the pots into a ring around the light. Once they get a bit larger, I'll move one back into the middle and start rotating them around.

Temps are holding steady at 78˚ F, four degrees above ambient. Not bad...

Very nice looking mini-grow you've got going. Are you vegging for a month then flipping into flower?

Thanks man. That's the idea, they've got a couple of weeks left before they get the flip.

C

cellardweller

panop, do you have any height restrictions? the kc has a tendency to stretch pretty good once you trigger..
I'll tag up to see some Mandala gear again..:joint:

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
panop, do you have any height restrictions? the kc has a tendency to stretch pretty good once you trigger..
I'll tag up to see some Mandala gear again..:joint:

Nope. The only restriction is the penetration power of the 250w. It's a shame that only two of my seven are KC, I just love that sweet Downy flavor. But I am excited to see how the Mendocino turns out...

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
How are those plants vegging out for you? Are you using the Sta-Green soil again this run? What kind of nutrients are you running this time?

-Funk

sero!

what kind of soil are you using?

I`ll come around here often to watch this girls growin´, sure!

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Day 23 veg

Day 23 veg

picture.php

How are those plants vegging out for you? Are you using the Sta-Green soil again this run? What kind of nutrients are you running this time?

Eh, the plants are moving in low gear. I was hoping they'd have blown up by now, but maybe thats a few days off.

I am still using Sta-Green Nursery Mix with a good 30% perlite added. Though I've already fed once with FloraNova Grow, I have my doubts about it's efficacy seeing how it's over two years old. So, I swapped that out for Pure Blend Pro Grow (I've also got PBP Bloom for soil put back for flower).

On top of that I run my regular schedule of Cal-Mag, Liquid Karma and molasses.

My plants were starting to yellow and go necrotic on the lower leaves. I was worried about over-feeding since the plants were so small, but I guess they're ready for more. I gave them a .75 tbs/gal dose of PBP Grow last night to see if they'd perk up a little. If they look better over the next day or so, I'll up their dosage again to see if we can't get these guys moving a little faster.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Ya they do look to be moving pretty slow. I usually don't even start with the fertilizers until about day 15 when using the Sta-Green soil. Those little fertilizer balls did the trick for about a week or so.

I would suggest try giving them a flush and see what happens. That early yellowing makes me wonder about a degree of over-ferting.

Keep up the good work.

-Funk

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Ya they do look to be moving pretty slow. I usually don't even start with the fertilizers until about day 15 when using the Sta-Green soil. Those little fertilizer balls did the trick for about a week or so.

I would suggest try giving them a flush and see what happens. That early yellowing makes me wonder about a degree of over-ferting.

They're already looking better. They were just hungry.

About the over-feeding: That's what I thought at first, but CH9's Hashplants were heavy feeders, so I figured that these would work in a similar fashion.

Normally, you're right about the fertilizer balls taking care of the first few weeks of the plants veg cycle, but this bag of soil was largely clumpy and compacted until I worked it over with a pitchfork. When I was breaking up the soil, I didn't see many of the tell-tale little amber balls that are usually present in the soil. That's the only reason why I began feeding early. Not to mention, the plants were starting to get that yellow pallor that is indicative of under-feeding.

It's weird how similar under-feeding and over-feeding look at first...

Either way, I'll keep an eye out to make sure that I made the right move. I'll get a pic up either tonight or tomorrow and you can have a better look...

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Day 29 veg

Day 29 veg

picture.php

How are your plants holding up? Have you flipped your lights yet?

They're doing well. Though some of the lower leaves are a little damaged, the group looks happy. I haven't flipped yet, I'll probably give them another week to grow and I'll go from there.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
They're looking good in there. Have you thought of trying to run the 400 and see if temps wouldn't be too bad? I can't wait to see them take off in flower :joint:

-Funk

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
They're looking good in there. Have you thought of trying to run the 400 and see if temps wouldn't be too bad? I can't wait to see them take off in flower

I'm sure the 400 wouldn't be too bad, but I want to keep this grow low power so I can run my A/C and not face a ridiculous power bill. It's hot as hell outside and I need refuge!

Once things cool off, I'll bust out the 400 again.

Fed and watered tonight. Once they dry out, I think I'll transplant them into 3 gal. containers and flip the lights to 12/12.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I would take A/C over a larger wattage light anytime, especially during the summer. It's all about the environment and those genes go crazy. Keep us posted once you flip those lights.

-Funk