What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soma Rockbud 2K Handwatered Coco Grow with CO2

opt1c

Veteran
Hi everyone... back again with a new interim grow while i switch my room over from bio-buckets to something else. Until then i'm going to be growing some rockbud cuts i made from a mom a friend got up @ the clear lake clone market awhile ago. I grew it out this past summer and it turned out pretty gnarly so i decided to try it inside.

I'm using the frame that held the biobuckets for an impromptu growing box; i've opened both ends of the box up for ventilation but i decided to keep the sides for the light reflecting properties. The frame is roughly 4'x8' and wrapped in black/white poly.

The plants started out under a t548 and were moved to the room under 2 600's in 4'' containers filled with coco after being cloned and rooted in 1''rockwool plugs.

After they had rooted out the 4'' square pots they went into larger ones that seem to be about a half gal in size, i've never measured, they're about 8'' across and have netpot bottoms so drainage is nice. I'm hand watering with the normal 6/9 gh coco mix popular here at icmag. When they were transplanted i added another 600 to the mix.

They were vegged for 2 weeks and then flipped.

I had some problems with light intensity and had to raise the 3 600's to about 30''s to keep the plants healthy; i also had to lower the temp from 82-85 to 77-80 as despite the CO2 being at 1,500ppm they just didn't like the heat either. I figured with the lights that high the lower growth might be affected so i tried a pruning experiment per jrosek in the size does matter thread over in the soil forum.

Around this time i switched out the 3 600s for 2 1000s, since they were high i might as well have them penetrate right. :joint: I went from supersun 2s to yield master IIs as well. I might as well mention that i'm using ushio bulbs and was using lumatek ballasts but i'm switching over to the global greenhouse ballasts for the 1000s although i'm using some temp mags for now while the others are on order.

These pics are all at day 33 of flower btw. I also started adding the house & garden additives to the gh 6/9 regime and i cut out the micro around day 14 of flower as the plants were showing signs of excess nitrogen. Well, that's all for now.

Comments and criticism always welcome :joint: -opt1c

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Nice, first one here! Your plants look awesome, any chance of getting some closer pics?? Been reading into coco lately, does seem like a lot of people use GH nutes with good results. Any reason for the switch to coco?
Best of luck man
:lurk:

opt1c

Veteran
Rob547-i've grown in coco for awhile, used to have a bunch of bonsai moms in coco for over a year in 4'' containers on drip among other things.. i didn't like the bio-buckets, 2 weeks downtime to colonize the buckets, having to veg in the same room/system, inability to move plants at all once roots have really formed, adding a chiller/light proofing/airstones and still getting root rot, losing really large plants to stupid shit like that got old fast... i also got my 11362.77(B) so plant number are no longer a constraint and thus i had no reason to continue my old growing setup... the coco choice now was because i knew, since i was rebuilding the room, that handwatering would give me the least downtime and most flexibility.. from that it was between coco and soil... need i say more :joint:

Far as nutes go i've used canna, house & garden, and gh 2part @ 6/9 with house and garden additives. I did an experiment with the canna vs house & garden and though they yielded the same gram per sqft the house & garden just came out looking, smelling, and smoking better than the canna. I'm a cheap bastard so i'm trying the gh 2 part instead of the h&g coco a&b as i had the 2 part lying around and it worked great for my moms

and now for some pics @ day 45 :joint:

and here is an update on the pruning experiment

Finally, since i don't have any closer pics of these plants here is a shot of the same strain, from the same mom, outdoors last season

-opt1c

HATCH

:woohoo:WOW:woohoo:That's Going To Be A Nice Harvest, You Are & Have Been Doing A Good Job, Happy Smoke'n!!!EH!!!

Cheers`;`Hatch`;`:joint:

E

eidanyosoy

Simply gorgeous, I have just had 2 disasters and think the old lady might leave if I have another, I had hermie issues that seeded 2 crops...Sad but true, take a year off and forget everything it seems.

Now to my questions how many plants is that exactly, and what kind of yield do you expect to see from each plant grown that way. I am open to anything at this point and am using coco now so I could really use the help. If I don't get a 2 elbow run this next time, it may be lights out for me, so if that setup yields such weight I am back to hand watering for a crop or two at least.

Maybe it will bring me closer to my plants that did me wrong due to neglect on my part.

opt1c

Veteran
Hatch - thanks for the props man

eidanyosoy - have no idea what the yield will be; i've got 19 in there now but for all practical purposes i'd say 18 as one is truly a runt. Hopefully they'll bulk up in the coming weeks; supposedly rockbud goes 9-10 weeks so we'll see. I didn't veg them vertically as high as i could have but i also didn't prune any branches or train them in anyway... the most i've done is aggressively strip half of them of fan leaves to see how that affects yield... other than that the branch/bud structure is as nature intended; i've found that with co2 i don't get any fluffy buds on the lower branches so i don't really prune them out, also the plants are only about 16-18 inches tall as well... i just wanted to bang this crop out while i redesigned my hydro system and had no desire to prolong the veg process; i was also interested in what would happen with just 2 weeks of veg and no pruning/training of the colas

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Aloha, Optic

Aloha, Optic

Hatch - thanks for the props man

eidanyosoy - have no idea what the yield will be; i've got 19 in there now but for all practical purposes i'd say 18 as one is truly a runt. Hopefully they'll bulk up in the coming weeks; supposedly rockbud goes 9-10 weeks so we'll see. I didn't veg them vertically as high as i could have but i also didn't prune any branches or train them in anyway... the most i've done is aggressively strip half of them of fan leaves to see how that affects yield... other than that the branch/bud structure is as nature intended; i've found that with co2 i don't get any fluffy buds on the lower branches so i don't really prune them out, also the plants are only about 16-18 inches tall as well... i just wanted to bang this crop out while i redesigned my hydro system and had no desire to prolong the veg process; i was also interested in what would happen with just 2 weeks of veg and no pruning/training of the colas

Your experiments are saving me much time and grief.
Your sharing is appreciated.
Thank you!
Subscribed.

Mahalo nui loa,
Weezard

opt1c

Veteran
Updates... now with nug shots

Updates... now with nug shots

All this pics here were taken at day 55 of flower. The temps have been lowered a bit, CO2 is off, and the dehumidifier is running 24/7 keeping the room around 35-45% rh.

First an update on the trimming experiment... right now it seems as if the ones that weren't stripped are out performing the ones that were but we'll have to see what difference it makes on the bottom nugs come harvest time.

Now some nug shots and a few closeups of the plants as requested..

and some more

enjoy -:joint:

blackone

Veteran
You seem to have your stuff dialed in real good with the nutes - beautiful plants :)
You probably won't see any positive effect from that trimming with the plants spaced so far apart - a lot of light is hitting the plants from every side anyway.
Do you think you might have a better yield with a longer veg or a higher plant count? Looks like a lot of light is also hitting the floor.

Latest posts

Latest posts