What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's see and hear about your sick plants!!

Gold123

For one thing I think the ph is too low for soil. How long since they were transfered to pots with soil. What size rock wool cubes. Could be the roots aren't established in the soil yet and not getting enough up take of h2o for the light intensity. try raising the lights.

For one thing I think the ph is too low for soil. How long since they were transfered to pots with soil. What size rock wool cubes. Could be the roots aren't established in the soil yet and not getting enough up take of h2o for the light intensity. try raising the lights.

Gold,

I agree that 5.8 is too low a PH for soil but I'm growing in coco coir which is a soilless medium. PH is similar to hydro in coco and with Canna coco, it's even lower according to Canna (the manufacturer). They recommend between 5.1 - 6.1 so I'm at the high end of their recommendation. I xplanted the rockwool into 3.5 inch pots about 2 weeks after the cuttings were taken (roots shown at 8 days after cuttings were taken). Then xplanted to 3 gallon pots about 2 weeks after that. Roots are already coming out of the bottom holes and have been for the last 3 weeks (they started popping out of the drain holes about a week after I transplanted).

I have a feeling that I have some sort of nute lockout but there are no signs of nute burn. At least I don't think there are. The tips of the older fan leaves are brittle but they are still green. Some leaf edges are starting to curl down as well. I bought a used digital PH meter and have calibrated it but maybe it's still off. I was under the impression that PH isn't as large a factor in hydro as it is in soil though.

Maybe you're onto something with the light being too close though. I had all 12 plants under 1 400W metal halide before moving them under 2 600W HPS lights for bloom. At only 18 inches, maybe it's too much? I'll move them farther away and slowly move them closer after they've aclimated.

Any other ideas out there??? Should I try flushing them?

Its sounds like(curling up leaves) is a heat issue not nutrients. Add a fan or move it around some to see if it creates a better circulation. Sorry i don't have much to offer you. If I were you I would not water anymore till they look like they need it times usually the best indicator don't expect to quick of results. Start looking at the new growth and just except that the burnt or disfigured leaves(curled) are going to stay that way for the most part. Once the damage is done there's no reversing whats been done just learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat them. Good luck, & be safe.

Winecountry

I just toped some plants in my veg room, and about three days later they looked like this.....

Any help would be great

Thank you.......

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 23

getstimulated

Unknown blotches --> Dry leaves..?

Unknown blotches --> Dry leaves..?

Hello world.

I posted this yesterday on the ORganics 4 beginners thread, but thought that this might be the appropriate thread.. The picts in the quote below can be seen here:

1.jpg
attachment.php

(I hope that img tag works..)

3.jpg

This plant seems to be doing poorly... Some leaves are on the dry side... Pretty dry to the touch... almost crispy... but still green. I see some discoloration. I'm a bit confused b/c this is the only plant showing these signs.

Temps: 77-79 (80 on a bad day)
Humidity: 39% ---> Is this too low? no higher then 42%, but mostly 39%
Watering: Every two - three days (using the finger in the soil method)

Leaves seem to be a tad bit lighter, but the veins remain green... I know this could mean a few things.... but why this plant only? Also, I've noticed the leaves curl downward in a claw like manner. I've read that this could be due to under watering or over watering. Using the finger/soil and run off method, I don't think I'm doing either... but I could be wrong.

Picts:
Attachment 23078
Attachment 23079

Soil seemed pretty dry... Once again, just this plant.. Didn't expect to water until tomorrow... But I gave it a tiny bit, just to see if it picks up.

? It's supposed to be a cheese.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Today.. The leaf in pict 1 is almost bone dry.. extremely brittle.. with these blotches I can't identify. There are a few other leaves showing similar signs.. In no paticular pattern.. HEre and there... Once again, only on this plant. Here is an updated pict of the worst leaf (described above):
4.jpg
attachment.php

I'm using LC Mix 2 in the organics for beginners thread with some dry ferts as described in that thread.
Link to thread - its on the 1st page.

This issue has been going on the the past couple of days.. maybe 3.. but its not looking good.

My first guess, prior to the extreme discoloration was low humidity.. Last night I noticed humidity was around 37%. Could this be a major problem? The other guess I had was nute burn, but I'm using the same soil w/ ferts for another plant and that plant has no issues. SO --?

I know its not light burn.. The plant is not close to the light... and temps have been pretty good..

any assistance would be highly appreciated.

The newb.

getstimulated

Anyone?? Please..??

I couldn't figure it out, but I guessed heat burn.. Don't know how or why as my temps have been pretty low, but the air circulation wasn't the best..? So I moved the lights up a notch and tried to improve circulation.. Also moved the plant a little bit further from the light. We shall see...

BUT - now I think I'm seeing signs of something else on another plant. Green leaves that are starting to look wrinkled... mostly from the tips moving inwards. No time for picts at the moment. No discoloration yet.. Just wrinkles... I'm puzzled b/c this plant was thriving until now.. ? Just watered. IT was due. Any assistance would be grand!

dap

sick plants

sick plants

Not sure if this is the preferred format for asking a question about some sick looking plants being grown outdoors but here goes:

SOIL:

How long has this problem been going on?
About one month

What STRAIN are you growing?
I don't know. Someone gave me some seedlings

What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
I got the plants as seedlings

What is the age of your plants?
my guess is about 4 months

How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
about three months.

How Tall are the plants?
about three feet

What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
flowering stage

What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
don't know what that means

What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
pots are 5 gallon mostly and one plant per pot

What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
using mixture of grow mulch, garden soil

What Nutrient's are you using?
chicken manure, miracle grow

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
I put about two cups of chicken manure and watered with miracle grow about 4 times

How often are you feeding?
every ten days or so

If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
I haven't used bloom nutrients. should I?

What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
no order

What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
don't know

What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
n/a

What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?
have digital ph meter

How often are you watering?
stopped watering three days ago. otherwise use drippers set to run three times a week

When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
one week ago was last feeding; no longer feeding

What size bulb are you using?
n/a

What is the distance to the canopy?
n/a

What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
varies from foggy to moderate humidity; pacific coast climate

What is the canopy temperature?
n/a

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
55-62 night/ 65-72 day

Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
has been moist

Is your water HARD or SOFT?
ph of water is 7.8

What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
tap water comes from local creek and wells

Are you using water from a water softener?
no

Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
I removed dead leaves

Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
none

Attachments

• IMGP0256.jpg
    IMGP0256.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP0257.jpg
    IMGP0257.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGP0258.jpg
    IMGP0258.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMGP0259.jpg
    IMGP0259.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 27

-CaveMan-

lgim0120.jpg

There are 4 plants, lots of tops(20-25) and about 2 of them look like this.

Blueberry
in soil
16 days 12/12 under 400w HPS;
2ml BioBizz Bloom + 1 ml Biobizz Grow/ 1 liter

zinc def. maybe?
or ph ? My tap water is usually over 7, so i lower it with adding a few drops of vinegar, which usually gives me ph of 5.6-6,6.

Thanks for help :)!

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings everyone !

Some of my plants are showing upper leaves that are getting a somewhat marbled yellowish-brownish color. Gave them last sunday a last dose of PK (50-33) before flushing to come. The yellowing of leaves start from the very top of the plant, and proceeds downward, touching only the small leaves of main bud. My guess is that I gave too much of something, but what ? Would the yellowing be the sign of some excess dosage, or rather some defficiency due to excess P or K ?

here a pics of one of the plants, this is growdoc's Angel Dust. Was shot 3 days ago, now leaves are more even more yellowish.

Irie !

jaybutta

Greetings everyone !

Some of my plants are showing upper leaves that are getting a somewhat marbled yellowish-brownish color. Gave them last sunday a last dose of PK (50-33) before flushing to come. The yellowing of leaves start from the very top of the plant, and proceeds downward, touching only the small leaves of main bud. My guess is that I gave too much of something, but what ? Would the yellowing be the sign of some excess dosage, or rather some defficiency due to excess P or K ?

here a pics of one of the plants, this is growdoc's Angel Dust. Was shot 3 days ago, now leaves are more even more yellowish.

Irie !

That sucks mriko...

I hate to say this, but it looks like your plants are suffering from Botrytis...which is apparently quite deadly...directions say to remove and destroy all infected bud...apparently it can wipe out an entire crop in 7 to 10 days under optimum conditions (cool moist climates with humidity above 50%)...I do hope I'm wrong...again, I'm sorry for this diagnosis...act fast to save the others...all the best...jay:)

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
That sucks mriko...

I hate to say this, but it looks like your plants are suffering from Botrytis...which is apparently quite deadly...directions say to remove and destroy all infected bud...apparently it can wipe out an entire crop in 7 to 10 days under optimum conditions (cool moist climates with humidity above 50%)...I do hope I'm wrong...again, I'm sorry for this diagnosis...act fast to save the others...all the best...jay

Greetings Jay,

Botrytis ? Are you sure of this ?? I kinda have some doubts actually. Got some once on outdoor plants and I see nothing similar in here. There's not any mold on any plant actually, only upper bud leaves that are changing color. temps are about 28°C day time and 10°C less night time. humidity is not above 50% either.
moan... now you got me worried ! haha !

Irie !

jaybutta

Hey I hope you're right...:D

If your nighttime temps get low enough and there isn't enough air movement, the perfect conditions are created...I do not know of anything else that it could be...everything else that you're doing seems to be right...not overfeeding them...I assume you're giving them proper flushes...you can't get as far as you've gotten with a nutrient imbalance and then all of a sudden develop one, so I'm really at a loss...my diagnosis comes straight out of the Indoor Bible and personal experience...again, I apologize if I'm wrong...jay:)

jaybutta

It could also be Phosphorous toxicity...I don't have pics to confirm it, but the Bible says that excess levels of P interferes with the uptake of several other nutrients, including Mg, Fe, Ca, Zn, and Cu...so, essentially, a toxicity could have developed into a deficiency, which would explain the sudden change...a tipping point could have been reached in the soil, eventually causing a nutrient imbalance, pH fluctuation, and what would appear to be either toxic salt build-up or a deficiency...either way, your plants are not absorbing the right nutrients at the proper levels...if it's not Botrytis (which I hope it isn't), then perhaps all you need to do is give your plants a thorough flush with a pH adjusted mild 1/4 strength complete fertilizer...sorry for all the thinking out loud...it helps me...hope this helps you...jay:D

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Hey I hope you're right...

I too hope too !

If your nighttime temps get low enough and there isn't enough air movement, the perfect conditions are created...

No air movement during night time indeed, but daytime the fan is on permanently.

not overfeeding them...I assume you're giving them proper flushes...you can't get as far as you've gotten with a nutrient imbalance and then all of a sudden develop one,

Overfeeding is not that unprobable actually as for their last meal I gave them a shitload of blooming ferts & other bloom crystals, so who knows ? No flushing yet, was planning it for end of this week.

my diagnosis comes straight out of the Indoor Bible and personal experience.

Me has no growing bible and my indoor experience holds in only 4 sessions, 2 of them I had to abort for security reason, the 4th one being this current one, so in that matter I'm a true newbie.

again, I apologize if I'm wrong.

My, you certainly don't have to apologize if wrong ! Will give the buds a close check tomorrow and shoot better pics so as to get a better idea about what's going on.

For now I'm sampling one of the healthy ladies and it's lovely !

Irie !

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
It could also be Phosphorous toxicity...I don't have pics to confirm it, but the Bible says that excess levels of P interferes with the uptake of several other nutrients, including Mg, Fe, Ca, Zn, and Cu...so, essentially, a toxicity could have developed into a deficiency, which would explain the sudden change...a tipping point could have been reached in the soil, eventually causing a nutrient imbalance, pH fluctuation, and what would appear to be either toxic salt build-up or a deficiency...either way, your plants are not absorbing the right nutrients at the proper levels..

Hey, cool, I had something of that kind in mind indeed. My bet is the horse-sized last meal I served them last week-end.
Considering I plan to harvest them after one week, wouldn't plain water be ok, rather than with some ferts, even lightly dosed ?
Any idea which PH would be ideal in this case ?

Irie !

jaybutta

A pH between 6.5 and 6.8 is best...I suggested a mild complete fert becuase I didn't know how far along the flowering cycle you are and how much time you've got left...if you're going for the straight flush, just use plain pH'd water...adjusting the pH allows the plant to use up the remaining nutes in the soil, while the flush itself carries away any excess nutes that the plant isn't going to use anyway...you can also add some sucanat (natural organic sugar cane)--1 tspn per gallon--to your flush...but that's up to you...they say it helps the plants finish and makes for a smooth toke...hope it works out for you...jay:)

Latest posts

Latest posts