What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylloxera information - aka root mites aka root aphids

guest396

all i can say bali is the merit 75 wp worked great for me the one time i used it.
as for cloning... no little buggers traveled to my ezclone while the new cuts rooted.

maybe you should try an aero or bubble cloner method?

i was just going to say the same thing grey. made one last week after dealing with cloning issues for the last time. i'm done! now this shiite?

For all we know they drop these outta the fuckin sky in egg form!

if it's sonoma that's another reason not to like n.cali.

going to look for a solution today bug bomb included.

OHGEE - here we go again

mrgreengenes1

FYI...I had treated a mom and I had assumed that the Imidacloprid would be present in her clones in high enough concentrations to ward off critters. This was not the case. They ended up with root aphids. Moral of the story, I am going to treat my clones with this, even though I had previously treated the mom. I couldn't find any references to propagation in the literature...now I have anecdotal evidence of my own.

Good luck to you all.
When used in the nursery for things like lantana mothers, there is some carry over to the cuttings. They will have protection for a while but once they are rooted well they may need their own dose. Remember if you are using this product it is in the plant for 90 days in sufficient amounts to repel and kill insects, so if you are going to use it do it early.

mrgreengenes1

i think everyone who used imid in this thread has sampled. I have sampled buds treated @ 4 1/2 weeks out of an 8 week flower.. NO NEGATIVE EFFECTS.. BUDS STILL TASTED, SMELLED, SMOKED, AND LOOKED THE SAME.. I AM NOT ALL TWITCHY OR DROOLING RETARDED.. I DIDN'T MYSTERIOUSLY DEVELOP ASTHMA, OR HAVE MY THYROID GO APESHIT..

if used right, this product is safe...
LoL rats and dogs fed over 5000 mg of the stuff a day only had issue's and symptoms relating to nicotine poisoning.. It was @ dosages over 5000mg a day(which is a ridiculous concentration) that other various issue's were seen.. there will be no where near those levels of imid in your plants if you use as directed or a lower ratio..

So i have sampled imid treated buds, they were just as good as non treated...
Not all twitchy or drooling or Asthma, not Yet! But that could change over time.
No carcinogenicity was seen in rats fed up to 1,800 mg/kg of imidacloprid for two years. But...was positive for chromosomal changes in human lymphocytes and for genotoxicity in CHO cells.
There are other ways to control insects including better cultural practices.

mrgreengenes1

There has been a lot of time and discussion in this thread just to make it easier to identify these nasty bugs, and even more helpful info dealing with treatments. I know for 100% certainty that i was dealing with phylloxera.. i was able to identify via this thread, and find the appropriate treatment.

Thanks for the additional info, thats pretty harsh, and i had no idea that they would torch entire fields.. LOL a little imid and the vineyards would be safe.. LOL
No they would not be "safe" for sure. They would be free of phylloxera but not for sure "safe". The Napa vineyards know all about Imidacloprid but chose to destroy the vineyards rather than have the chemical residues in their grapes. Think about that!

attila76

Holy Shiznut,

There back!! I'm speechless. After pulling down the whole crop soley in order to eradicate these bastards After 6 weeks of building back my garden I find them crawling on my net pots again!

This is how persistent these things are. I totally emptied my grow room, bleached the walls, floors, tossed out all hydroton, scrubbed and soaked for several days in bleach all buckets and equipment, ditched the recirculation system, new bubble stones, new tubing. Waited one week before new clones. Did I say how much bleach I used? I never saw one flying, only submersed in water through a hand held microscope.

Now six weeks later... they are back.

Before I did not realize how many people had success with Bayer Tree and Scrub (imidacloprid). I'll be doing that first thing tomorrow, before they get ahead of me. Its just started, nothing like I saw before.

I'm just in a total state of shock. I truly fear that my family and I will become homeless as a result of this intractable infestation.

attila76

Identification? Is this that?

Identification? Is this that?

My photos do not seam to jive with A few others that I have seen here. Still I thing that from everything else that this is it.

I got this photo using a hand held microscope, put my camera up to it just right and click. So what you see is what I see through the 30X microscope. Very, very small. You almost need 20/20 vision to see them at all with the naked eye. Looks like a fleck of skin, or small piece of table salt.

I need some feedback here, pleazzzze.

Is this Phylloxera?
http://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/1zhelp.gif

Attachments

• IMG_0122.PNG
    IMG_0122.PNG
    95.8 KB · Views: 35

attila76

Or this picture...

This could be something else... something worse. The last time a strong nicotine (tabaco tea, would not even kill these things (in a petri dish of course.) So I figured that Bayer t&s would be weaker. A fake nicotine. Maybe I was wrong... Oh God.http://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/fsu.gif

This game is high stakes. Too easy to fall off the ladder. I hope this Imid works. It must

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Atilla, welcome to the club. I would not mess about with the tobacco. That was my original plan but I'm glad I used imid.

I had a look at some friends grows and both were infested and neither had any idea. They both veg indoors and flower outdoors and the outdoor ones seemed not too bad. The indoor ones had a fair infestation. Are any of you guys outdoor and suffer from phylloxera? Seems to me like natural predatory control was taking place. Not total control, but these guys were quite happy before I informed them of all this. I doubt they'd even treat it and they were skeptical it could be much of a problem.

My confidor treatment seemed to work slowly but they seem all gone. We'll see.

opt1c

Veteran
atilla if it is really bad just get some merit 75 wp off ebay or somewhere; it will end ALL your root aphid problems; that and some gnatrol, bt, and nothing will be moving in the medium except the roots

attila76

Thanks guys, (guys? right he he)

I'll be doing this ASAP. Right now its in its beginning stage. The roots are still white and healthy, not orange and brown.

This forum is the most comprehensive discussion about this topic anywhere, period. My hat goes off to all whose dedication to keeping with this issue long after you solved the problem. Shan Diego Your persistence rivals Phylloxera.

attila76

Ninja,

Agreed, tabaco tea is NOT effective at all. Neither is Azatrol, regardless of dose, nor is peroxide.

As for the inside/outside difference-

I'm a legal medical grower in Colorado, strictly indoors. While I have no experience outdoor, I can't imagine that it makes a difference. This pest comes from the wine crop (ie outdoor) and it has destroyed entire vineyards. Besides, its too cold, snow on the ground today, and the effected plants are in hydro.

I'm going with the imid...
enough people here have had success with that that it seems that only real option.

attila76

Medium question

Medium question

So....

I'm rocking 4 pots in DWC. Just simple 5 gallon bucket with airstones. Real simple.

They definitely have the dreaded pests.

But most of my plants are in Sunshine #4 Soilless Mix...

-How does one see them in this medium? They are so small. What should I look for? By the time I see them they will have killed the plants.

As for treating phylloxera in soilless mix I should feed it at the 5 ml/us gallon with the nutes at a regular feeding?

Bali_Man has clear instructions regarding hydro, Which I will be following.

But dirt..... just pour it in like any other additive??

As always... I'm not worthy

Last edited:

mrgreengenes1

So....

I'm rocking 4 pots in DWC. Just simple 5 gallon bucket with airstones. Real simple.

They definitely have the dreaded pests.

But most of my plants are in Sunshine #4 Soilless Mix...

-How does one see them in this medium? They are so small. What should I look for? By the time I see them they will have killed the plants.

As for treating phylloxera in soilless mix I should feed it at the 5 ml/us gallon with the nutes at a regular feeding?

Bali_Man has clear instructions regarding hydro, Which I will be following.

But dirt..... just pour it in like any other additive??

As always... I'm not worthy
A soil drench means just that, with any pesticide application. All you have to do is dilute the material to the proper rate and add the dose 4 or 6 ozs per 2 gallon pot or what ever the instructions say. Just pour that amount into the soil. Plants should NOT be real dry before application and then hold off irrigation as long as possible to give the plant time to take up the material. When watering is resumed go light so you do not flush the cemical out the bottom of the pot.

attila76

Here goes...

Here goes...

Ok so...

Here goes.

Starting with one five gallon DWC bucket, 4 gallons of nutes at 550 ppm, ph 5.8.

Add 20 teaspoons of Bayer Tree and Scrub, straight into one test bucket. (see pict)

(Plan to leave in treatment for one week. Bali_man said to apply for only an hour. That doesn't make sense. How can the roots absorb the imid in said time? Agreed?)

Initial Observations:
-Lots of foam
-Ph went up, from 5.8- to 6.5. Took an unusual amount of ph down to move the dial down to 6.0... um.
-PPM went up 250 points. The label states that it has nutes. so ok. From 550 to 800. um... can they manage?? four week old AK-47s
Perhaps I should dilute with water and BTS only solution to bring down the concentration.... in a quandry.

Any red flags so far?

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 24

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
I am by no means an expert but seeing that reaction, I would think maybe try one of the stronger solutions of imid. The confidor didn't change my ec, or ph, or the appearance of the nutes.

attila76

Now I see the light!

Now I see the light!

ScrubNinja,

I thought that this was supposed to be a systemic only. This stuff is incredible! Instant death!

Within minutes a white cheesy gunk forms on top of the foam. That gunk is THEM.http://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/woohoo.gif

Here is what I plan to do. Two stage treatment. http://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/dueling.gif

Stage one: Short and high dose. ie three hours, or over night in 4 tsp per gallon. This seems to kill all of them, but who knows. There MAY be a few hardy bastards.

Clean gunk away with tap. Make new nutes for stage two.

Stage two: prolonged treament at recommended dose, one week at 1 tsp per gallon. This should allow the systemic to enter the plants for long term protection.

Then monitor on a regular basis. Or just do stage one treatment once weekly.

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 28

attila76

Not so fast there mister

Not so fast there mister

Ok so..

They are not all dead. That white chessy gunk is not the dreaded pest, its the Bayer Tree and Scrub coagulating in the water. I still see live bugs on the pot.

Looks like a long term fight. Bali man was right there is no easy fix here. http://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/wallbash.gif

When determining if they are in the my soil pots what should I look for?

These things are hard enough to see on a flat black surface. I imagine that they blend in to the dirt.

opt1c

Veteran
the merit wp blends real nice; the bayer may not like all the dissolved oxygen... also make sure that imid is the ONLY active ingredient in the bayer product; they like to change things up adding new miticides into the mix and whatnot

imid is a 90 day systemic if properly applied; anything that strong i'd only apply once. i highly recommend the merit 75 wp; it will kill all the root aphids. mine looked like black dots crawling on the netpots and whatnot; after the application they just disappeared all together; not even dead to clean up. additionally i'd get some gnatrol wdg which also mixes very well with any nutes, you can find smaller amounts online that aren't as expensive (same goes for the merit), its a concentrated bt product that will kill the larva of most insects in your medium; very benign with the plants and much much more effective than a mosquito dunk. this way you're able to kill the root aphids and, if they aren't root aphids, whatever else they may be in one treatment allowing you to get back to growing. no reason this has to be a protracted battle.

good luck