What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylloxera information - aka root mites aka root aphids

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
edit above - it was per quart not lieter, but thats for outdoor use to be applied to 10 cubic feet of bed

igt -> you say 2-3 ml/g, what if i was gonna just hand water it to waste once then go back to the resi?

I got no idea bro. You're on your own with that one. Do you not have any way to recirculate it for a while to get maximum uptake?

The only problem now is getting all the dead bugs out of the rootmass somehow... yuck...

An enzyme supplement like Hygrozyme would help break down the dead bugs in the root mass I bet.

Fat J

I did a strong dose on em - 1oz/g of the citrus bayer - given to 25 plants which added up to about 30-35 cubic meters. split it up even, 2 gallons total gave em just enough to runoff a bit. today, plants are fuckin stoked! No moving aphids - just lotsa dead ones, dead fliers all over the tray. The plants are greener, prayin, and grew prolly 2-3" overnight!! Thank you so so much guys for suggesting the bayer.

I flushed em with the bloom nutes in my resi after about 6 hr post application, let the runoff go back into the resi so it recircs for a week, then ill be ready to dump res anyway, and ill add some roots excellurator and drip clean from h&g to stimulate the roots and get some built up toxicity(from rot n nute lockout) n crap outta the roots - too late to transplant again or I would.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
So I'm doing transplanting and watering last night. I've been watching the cards and nothing, been staring at roots forever and nothing movie.

Then last night I'm looking at one of the big plants and sure enough, an assload of root bastards. Does it take a while to kill them or should I re dose with the T&S?

RetroGrow

Veteran
So I'm doing transplanting and watering last night. I've been watching the cards and nothing, been staring at roots forever and nothing movie.

Then last night I'm looking at one of the big plants and sure enough, an assload of root bastards. Does it take a while to kill them or should I re dose with the T&S?

This stuff is systemic, so it has to be absorbed by the plant before all the killing is done. I doused mine last night, and am not seeing any living root aphids. There were some springtails hopping about, but they are not a problem. However, if I saw some of these bastards still alive, I would hit them again, as nasty as they are.

This is the stuff I used. Seems to be a good compromise between the "Tree & Shrub" variety, which lasts for 12 months in the plant, and the citrus which is lower strength, but without the nutes.:

Last edited:

Fat J

Its freakin amazing how good my rom looks after 3 days from app... i saw a couple fliers yesterday but there arent any today!!

The Beta-Cyfluthrin I wouldnt want, the imid is whats most effective against thse shitheads and I prefer not using more chemicals than I have to...

From now on I'm treating ALL my clones with imid from the start - if i never see another live phylloxera bug itll be too soon. Also, I'm stoked about the happy little springtails I saw dancing around the corpses of the aphids on top of the imid treated water. was worried it would kill all my benes, woot!!

Within 24 hours all's I saw was a couple of flying insects. I couldn't see If they were Fungus gnats or Flying Root Aphids they tend to run together- gnats being oportunistic and prone to take advantage of the damage done by Aphids.

Also, I called Bayer from the number on the side of the bottle, and was told by their "technician" that I can "eat" the "Tomatoes" only after 60 days of application.

So this is perfect for treating girls in their vegatative state. I swear by the 1 tsp per gallon of RO.

Good luck guys.

spleebale

To Scay Beez for making this happen and all who have posted: thank you so much for contributing to this wealth of information about this terrible pest! It has motivated me to compile as much as I could (as best I could) into a single posting which has an accompanying thread. I believe it has been linked to already in this thread, but here it is again:

All About Root Aphids in One Spot

I recently did a MAJOR revision to the initial post to include WAY more information and be a bit better organized, so even if you have already seen the thread/read the initial post, it is probably worth browsing again (I have learned FAR more since I first compiled that post from info I found on this thread only days after finding I had aphids)

Also: I am trying to do two things:

-Identify and discriminate each of the types of aphids (that we may understand what is unique about each)

-Pinpoint the cause of the "phantom magnesium/potassium" deficiency I seem to be having that quite a few posters with aphids seem to have but many do not. This problem seems closely linked to the root aphids but perhaps not a direct result of root aphid root-damage, and it is important for so many of us to narrow down the cause(s).

Please use the thread linked above for those purposes and I will try to route more people to this thread for general discussion, questions etc. Thanks!

-WB

@ <~Hades~> #327
Imid has been used in agriculture since the 60's. It's also used in the Tobacco industry. I have called Bayer and although it was hard to get info from the midwestern operator, (Seemed suspicious of what this Californian was growing Hydroponically), She said that it was recommended that I "treat my 'Tomatos' 60 days before harvest".

So I would stick to treating them as juveniles and not in flowering of course.

Being systemic, all new growth is also treated.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Okay edit: I have a PDF on my desktop showing the chemicals listed specifically for root aphids and says imid will protect for 8-12 weeks.

So I'm wondering where we got any kinda harvest data on this product? Maybe I missed it in one of the 5 threads going on root aphids so I apologize in advance.

I can't find anything on the net about how to wait before harvest. I only found one comment that says it's okay for container plants that are not to be consumed.

So who came up with harvest intervals and with what source.

cheers
smiley

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wikipedia has number of sources that refer to the half-life of imid. that's the best i've got.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Okay edit: I have a PDF on my desktop showing the chemicals listed specifically for root aphids and says imid will protect for 8-12 weeks.

So I'm wondering where we got any kinda harvest data on this product? Maybe I missed it in one of the 5 threads going on root aphids so I apologize in advance.

I can't find anything on the net about how to wait before harvest. I only found one comment that says it's okay for container plants that are not to be consumed.

So who came up with harvest intervals and with what source.

cheers
smiley

It's tough to come up with an exact answer. But, I am not using the "Tree & Shrub" variety, because it's for trees, and lasts for 1 year, according to label. The citrus is made for edibles, so have to believe that is preferable. I bought the "Advanced", as it says it lasts for 3 months, and it did the job of killing all the aphids, while leaving the springtails hopping. Plus, it's cheaper.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
It's tough to come up with an exact answer. But, I am not using the "Tree & Shrub" variety, because it's for trees, and lasts for 1 year, according to label. The citrus is made for edibles, so have to believe that is preferable. I bought the "Advanced", as it says it lasts for 3 months, and it did the job of killing all the aphids, while leaving the springtails hopping. Plus, it's cheaper.

Yeah I wish i would have waited another day and saw about the citrus one.

Too late now.

RetroGrow

Veteran
One thing I think we have all learned from dealing with these bastards is:
Do not re-use your coco!
Get rid of old medium and start over every time.
Really clean and sterilize your pots before you use them again.

<~Hades~>

Do not re-use your coco!
This is what hurts the most as i have used the same 4-5 trash cans worth of coco over and over for 3 years:dance013:

That and having to make all new mothers.....switching to hydro slowly lava rocks LOL but for mother plants dont know what to do,,,,,,Fresh promix and or soil !!! and pray the fuckers vanish

Fat J

I'm doing preventative treatment with imid on my moms in dirt, goin to hydroton for everything else. Prolly gonna do a small treatment on the rooted clones too just to be safe, that way I always have 70ish days min to harvest. BTW: they look like they never had a problem after 5 days from treatment... no fliers, no nada. Hope it holds up.

attila76

I strongly recommend reading all of my posts on this thread. I spent alot of time documenting those disasters. I hope you get something from it. I grew in hydroton, bubbleponics style.

I'm doing preventative treatment with imid on my moms in dirt, goin to hydroton for everything else. Prolly gonna do a small treatment on the rooted clones too just to be safe, that way I always have 70ish days min to harvest. BTW: they look like they never had a problem after 5 days from treatment... no fliers, no nada. Hope it holds up.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
So it's been another 2 days and I still found some aphids running around in the soil and rim of the pots. People that used IMID, how long after using it were there no signs of aphids and the plants start growing normally?

I hear ya atilla I really hate to start over but i just don't need the hassle in life. Hard to throw out 2 month old plants though. Prolly get lung aids from smoking the shit.

I wonder if I burn down the house it'll get em?

smiley
(I'm not fuckin smiling)

attila76

Ouch... just checked out your g room. Thats alot invested in that space. Ive been in the same position. Lucky for me it involved switching from hydroton dwc TO soilless mix. In the hydroton they simply were not controllable.

Good Luck man

Latest posts

Latest posts