No announcement yet.

Phylloxera information - aka root mites aka root aphids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where can you find the bug bits and the beauveria bassiana fungi?
    It is What it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Diego View Post
      I microwave everything before I use it now. From my Rapid rooters, to my coco. Just 2 minutes in the microwave when dry, and then I dump through water, which comes out steaming. Of course, this kills off the beneficials too, but they are easily replaced. Microwave = clear kill without poisonous residue.
      To clarify, depending on the amount of medium, 2 minutes won't do shit.

Make sure it's HOT. I did a test with soil that I could see visual bugs on in a pyrex bowl. 2X 2 MINUTE MICROWAVE SESSIONS AND I COULD STILL SEE BUGS ALIVE. - so to clarify, make sure the medium is boiling-piping-hot-steaming to kill them bastards.

*edit, I've also been thinking about using our old propane turkey fryer and do larger batches outside.

Comment

Had root aphids about a year or so ago, haven't seen them since.

Chemical Solution: Triazicide

Dilute it with water as per directions, then dunk your entire medium in it for a good minute or two.

It smells like gasoline, and kills them within a few seconds. You can test it, by capturing a few aphids in a small tupperware, then apply the Triazicide. Watch them die !!!

You can get it at most hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, Aces, etc... or get it online. Its cheap less then 20 dollars.

Mr^^

Comment

Chemical Solution: Triazicide
          I think I have some of that!

Im gonna go test this out. even tho they can go up the stem I've heard.

Comment

I've had similar problems, gnats and aphids, I tried sticky traps, dunks to no avail, sand on top of each pot, then finally Gnatrol at .5ml per gallon with SM-90 at 3ml/gal and 35%H202 at 2ml/gal, . Finally seeing some slowdown, but man, bugs suck.

I'm told Bayer tree and shrub as a root drench works wonders, that is my next step (or isopropyl alcohol) if all else fails.

I also swept my whole room, sprayed the floor/walls with garlic oil and physan20, then after it dried set off two big pyrethrin foggers and then swept the floor with copious diatemaceous earth (DE) to help keep the bugs OUT. Figure if I make the whole room a toxic dump and dry as the sahara they just won't like it much
            *I'm fairly busy so please excuse my absence or slow responses to PM's!

All about Growroom cooling: Keepin' it cool man (my 1st published article)
            How to automate reservoir top offs or most anything water-related
            The only UV-B lighting thread worth a damn
            CO2 for dummies

Big grow:
            The 36KW medical/perpetual basement

Comment

Got the Bayer T&S in the rez as I type, fingers crossed. Wish me luck guys, cringe the thought of having to tear down/start over. Will leave it in for 3 dayz with full strength nutez then drain. Caught it early in my recirculating WF's. Hope early enough. Will post in a few with an update.
              Duckn' Uncle Sam:Bolt::Bolt:
              Not your avarage WaterFarms...
              "killuminati" I'm going Lizard hunting!!
              sigpic

Comment

So after about 36hrz, the bugz that were visible on the roots appear to be dead. My only question is what do I do about the dead bug bodiez? Do I leave them? Add some Cannazym maybe. Attempt to wash them out? I think the bayer is doing the trick, used 80mil in my 20gal setup. Thank you everyone for your help!
                sigpic

Comment

Jesus Scaybeez, you still battling these f@ckers?

Comment

New member of the Phylloxera fan club saying hi

So I had to get Confidor. They had no Tree & Shrub, and according to sarek any product with Imid in it is going to work. I'm having trouble working out what dosage I'm supposed to use though, as the confidor directions are for a spray.

Active constituent: 200g/L imidacloroprid

Now that's kind of F'd up because grams (g) is weight, and litres (L) is liquid. But seeing as 1000 grams of water equals one litre, I'll guess that I have 20% strength imidacloroprid. Sarek made this helpful post but I'm struggling to understand the doseage :/ Could anyone tell me how much Confidor I would need for 10 litres of the final mix? Or say, 3 gallons? Even just the dosage from your label of Tree & Shrub would help immensely. I think I can work the rest out. Thanks

It's really hard because like I said, the label directions are for a spray, and it's measured in drips. (6 drips per litre) Should I just use that doseage?

Edit: tree & shrub is 5ml per gallon if I understand
                    Last edited by ScrubNinja; 10-16-2009, 13:41.
                    Chillin' so hard my ass almost froze off

600w vert: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=236394

Comment

Confidor application rate

Ok so Tree and Shrub is 1.47% strength and is used at 5ml per gallon. Confidor is 20% strength. 1 gallon = 3.79 litres.

So tree & shrub is used at 1.319 ml/litre
                      Confidor is 13.6 times stronger and should be used at .096 ml/litre

Please feel free to check my figures, I would appreciate it. I also posted this on my own thread but I figure it's handy here for anyone lumbered with Confidor. Just don't trust those numbers till someone verifies!

Edit: Well. I crunched some hardcore numberage. I worked out the rate above to be equal to 2 drops per litre so I'm about to apply 18 drops of Confidor into 9 litres of water. The recommended dose as a spray (on the packet) is 6 drops per litre. I'll be back.
                      Last edited by ScrubNinja; 10-16-2009, 17:09.
                      Chillin' so hard my ass almost froze off

600w vert: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=236394

Comment

So it looks like the Bayer T&S did the trick and the dead bugs dont seem to be affecting anything. Thanks everyone again!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greyskull View Post
                          all i can say bali is the merit 75 wp worked great for me the one time i used it.
                          as for cloning... no little buggers traveled to my ezclone while the new cuts rooted.

maybe you should try an aero or bubble cloner method?
                          i was just going to say the same thing grey. made one last week after dealing with cloning issues for the last time. i'm done! now this shiite?

For all we know they drop these outta the fuckin sky in egg form!

if it's sonoma that's another reason not to like n.cali.

going to look for a solution today bug bomb included.

OHGEE - here we go again

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Diego View Post
                            FYI...I had treated a mom and I had assumed that the Imidacloprid would be present in her clones in high enough concentrations to ward off critters. This was not the case. They ended up with root aphids. Moral of the story, I am going to treat my clones with this, even though I had previously treated the mom. I couldn't find any references to propagation in the literature...now I have anecdotal evidence of my own.

Good luck to you all.
                            When used in the nursery for things like lantana mothers, there is some carry over to the cuttings. They will have protection for a while but once they are rooted well they may need their own dose. Remember if you are using this product it is in the plant for 90 days in sufficient amounts to repel and kill insects, so if you are going to use it do it early.

Comment

Originally posted by kushism View Post
                              i think everyone who used imid in this thread has sampled. I have sampled buds treated @ 4 1/2 weeks out of an 8 week flower.. NO NEGATIVE EFFECTS.. BUDS STILL TASTED, SMELLED, SMOKED, AND LOOKED THE SAME.. I AM NOT ALL TWITCHY OR DROOLING RETARDED.. I DIDN'T MYSTERIOUSLY DEVELOP ASTHMA, OR HAVE MY THYROID GO APESHIT..

if used right, this product is safe...
                              LoL rats and dogs fed over 5000 mg of the stuff a day only had issue's and symptoms relating to nicotine poisoning.. It was @ dosages over 5000mg a day(which is a ridiculous concentration) that other various issue's were seen.. there will be no where near those levels of imid in your plants if you use as directed or a lower ratio..

So i have sampled imid treated buds, they were just as good as non treated...
                              Not all twitchy or drooling or Asthma, not Yet! But that could change over time.
                              No carcinogenicity was seen in rats fed up to 1,800 mg/kg of imidacloprid for two years. But...was positive for chromosomal changes in human lymphocytes and for genotoxicity in CHO cells.
                              There are other ways to control insects including better cultural practices.

Comment

Originally posted by kushism View Post
                                There has been a lot of time and discussion in this thread just to make it easier to identify these nasty bugs, and even more helpful info dealing with treatments. I know for 100% certainty that i was dealing with phylloxera.. i was able to identify via this thread, and find the appropriate treatment.

Thanks for the additional info, thats pretty harsh, and i had no idea that they would torch entire fields.. LOL a little imid and the vineyards would be safe.. LOL
                                No they would not be "safe" for sure. They would be free of phylloxera but not for sure "safe". The Napa vineyards know all about Imidacloprid but chose to destroy the vineyards rather than have the chemical residues in their grapes. Think about that!

Comment

Working...
                                X