What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider mites AKA The Borg

OlDirtyHuman

Had good success from the Green Cleaner so far. Haven't found a mite since the first spray. Going to keep spraying every few days for a month or so. Hopefully that does the trick.

medicalmj

Veteran
Had some mites for the first time in long time and went to see what was avail. I picked up some Green Cleaner but noticed that Mighty Wash with its once amazing "frequency" water with no MSDS now says it contains pyrethrum?! WTF now I'm thinking if green cleaner works as good as peeople say then whats in that stuff? Meanwhile we are spraying on flowers.

So I decided to pull out the big guns and hit em with Pylon, no flowers got sprayed. Thankfully the couple that are flowering didn't have em yet but if I have to spray flowers (not late bloom ever) I'd use essential oil from a vetted company and organic neem & karanja.

BTW - Pylon is the best shit I've ever seen, its a translaminar and kills for up to 28 days. You can see hatched eggs and the dead mite reight next to it under a good stereoscope. An awesome sight! BUT WARNING this shit is not for the careless applicator. Protect yourself. And at about $500 USD for 16 oz it's spendy. Only need 1.5 ml/gal tho...

OlDirtyHuman

Had some mites for the first time in long time and went to see what was avail. I picked up some Green Cleaner but noticed that Mighty Wash with its once amazing "frequency" water with no MSDS now says it contains pyrethrum?! WTF now I'm thinking if green cleaner works as good as peeople say then whats in that stuff? Meanwhile we are spraying on flowers.

I'm going to not think about that and enjoy all the dead mites.

I love Green Cleaner... great results against mites. Here's a quote from them.

Green Cleaner combines all-natural pesticides in a concentrated form. We start with organic soybean oil and sodium lauryl sulfate. The soybean oil acts to quickly suffocate pests, such as spider mites, broad mites, and russet mites, while the sodium lauryl sulfate coats bugs in slimy goodness to immobilize them.

Miraculous Meds

I have ran into mites on some day 40 flowers. I wont spray anything on flowers, so im looking into swirskis, or any other natural n safe choice. Does anybody have any info on the effectiveness of these beneficial bugs for my situation. Also good places to order them from? Im also looking for good usage instructions, and any good threads maybe outlining this info already.

thanks to my fellow canna friends.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Green lacewings work good, i get the eggs from Arbico. You need to get the right beneficial insects for your temp and humidity.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we harvested our plants 3weeks ago... did not see any mites/damage.. now that it is bottled, I def see some webbing... guess its ok to smoke???

Fergsbergs

Rkj6qsk

What are Rhodes 5 spots mates??

coldcanna

Veteran
When you use the predatory mites are you still doing your weekly preventatives like Neem or would that weaken their ability ?

Granger2

Veteran
It would kill the predators too, and stop them from having an appetite, and from reproducing. One or the other. Good luck. -granger

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BioBest has a pesticide compatibility chart.

In general though, it is hard to try biocontrol without going full monty.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Don't know if any one posted this yet but 50% water and 50% isopropyl alcohol(70%) kills SM's on contact. For veg plants you can use a bit of dish soap as a surfactant. Simply spraya light even coat all over everything (plants, containers walls etc.) Every other day for at least 3 applications, 4 or 5 of you just really want to be safe. Kills on contact and the new hatchlings won't have time to lay eggs. I had one really bad infestation a long time ago and went nuts trying to fix it, I tried all kinds of things. After doing this method the mites were killed immediately and did not come back. Long after then I've had 1-2 sitings of a few SM'S on just a plant or two, sprayed the mixture right away and problem solved, damage prevented. With only water and isopropyl you can spray directly on flowers in any stage with out leaving anything behind, it won't taint or damage. Be sure to spray with plain water on the off days to keep leaves hydrated as the ISO can dry them out just a tad if you don't.

Drop That Sound

Bump! Btw im pretty stubborn and persistant!

Ya people have been doing that, and 100 other ways too. Hope you got it under control. I just noticed last night after a hot day some lower leaves are tattered up.. on pretty much every plant I was about to flip.. when I thought nukem and green cleaner did the trick a month or so ago (only noticed a few mites over the winter here and there while using it, picked up from helping a friend fix an electrical issue in his room. Can't blame anyone but myself.. been awhile since i've dealt with them so can't complain just make the best of the situation)

The only thing I haven't seen done yet is using a fogger with a couple cheap gallons of propylene glycol, and some additives. Perhaps peppermint oil or other extracts, and maybe my big bottle of 100mg nicotine base from an ecig juice supplier that I have that tasted like crap. Would possibly be like tobacco tea but without the nasty smell.

Put the plants in a box and vape the shit and eggs right out of em for an hour every other day maybe? A whole day?

A big enough fogger, perhaps rented from a place that has them, and you could blast the whole room so thick you couldn't see if you were unlucky enough to be in there.

Im about to throw everything outside except for mom who only has a few that I could see (no leaf spots yet), and bleach top to bottom the rest of the rooms. She's in my quarantine room right now and about to be full on attacked in there.

I need to finish up my rooms\systems and complete some work over the hot summer anyway so not too bummed. Guess I will have some big OD plants this season.

Drop That Sound

^ How does the fogger idea sound? I am willing to sacrifice some time and money to come up with a new solution that might possibly help us all out.

Latest posts

Latest posts