What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Toxic aphid treatment

CrushnYuba

These aphids just seem like they aren't going anywhere. You can spray for them and i don't see them for a little while but they are never gone. I don't want to keep spraying forever. Pyrethrin definitely ain't doing it. I have some permethrin i was about to try but i can't really figure out application rate. Is there anything toxic that works? Like forbid or avid. Like a systemic insecticide. I have to get them off my mom's.
I never really had a problem with aphids before. They were always easy to get rid of.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
When it wasn't raining outside I sprayed some plants with Lost Coast Plant Therapy and dusted inside with diatomaceous earth. Caterpillars botrytis mildew and humidity are down after lime sulfur and contact foliar sprays earlier in flowering. Hygrozyme and mosquito dunks with gypsum oyster shell dolomite cal mag mycos hydroguard iguana grow in a makeshift rain barrel.

CrushnYuba

When it wasn't raining outside I sprayed some plants with Lost Coast Plant Therapy and dusted inside with diatomaceous earth. Caterpillars botrytis mildew and humidity are down after lime sulfur and contact foliar sprays earlier in flowering. Hygrozyme and mosquito dunks with gypsum oyster shell dolomite cal mag mycos hydroguard iguana grow in a makeshift rain barrel.
That's not really helpful.
I don't have Caterpillars botrytis mildew and humidity

Has anyone used permethrin? I try googling application rates and all i find is for using it as a lice shampoo. Lol

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It's not obvious that he can select all the pictures with chimneys. Nicotine isn't systemic but is about as toxic as it gets. Won't fix an environment of bugs or incomplete spraying.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
They don't like DE, I've used sulfur and safers insecticidal soap spray too but I still see them from time to time.

I'm hearing if you can get your Brix to 12 they can't feed.

Pesticides won't eliminate them it seems... I remember the clone they came in on.

CrushnYuba

I'm going to spray everything down with DE with the old dustin-miser.. But that is just gonna help kick them back.

Brix to 12 huh? That's interesting. Gotta look into that.

There has to be some crazy insecticide. I think they are all over my county though. Everyone and their mom had them this summer. I bet they are in the trees.

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Natural Solution

Natural Solution

Try some Captain Jack's Dead Bug. It wails on tough pests and is not harmful to people or pets. It's a bacteria they discovered in an abandoned Rum Distillery. That makes it cool. I've tried every organic pesticide, this works on mites, thrips, aphids, and whiteflies.

Good Luck, and Happy Hunting!!

CrushnYuba

Captain Jack's? Have u used it on aphids? I went to go buy a bottle and i saw this review

0% effective. I think the aphids actually liked it. There were more the following day after treat...
7 months ago
0% effective. I think the aphids actually liked it. There were more the following day after treating.
I am a organic, natural alternative guy but, it has to work.
I am buying live ladybugs from Armstrong Garden Center. It's a slower method but it works.
Andyman · Reviewed on Home Depot

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Growsafe is a product that has had a few mentions lately. It is derived from natural oils so a contact spray that needs 100% coverage to be effective.

I have not used it myself, but have used other natural oil contact sprays. I have to find the right dosage to fit different pets which is a toss up between eradicating the pest and backing off when you see damage to the leaves. So raising the dosage of such a product may give you the toxicity you require.

Aphids should be fairly sensitive and not require a high dosage.

Lrus007

Veteran
Ortho Flower, Fruit & Vegetable Insect Killer Concentrate & Ready-Spray formulated for use on flowers and edibles. Kills 100-plus listed insects fast. Kills aphids, caterpillars, Thrips, whiteflies, Japanese beetles, and other garden pests. Will not harm plants or blooms.

tried a bunch of chems. this one worked.
get a pump sprayer and douse them good.
good luck

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Kontos.. its systemic... only way to deal with those lil evil bastards for food... go nuclear or they never go away

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Thinking about cinnamon, chili powder, garlic pepper foliar, beneficial insects as a deterrent or features of a habitat near seedling nursery area. How populations of beneficials are established, how or when to apply I am not sure. Cloth material with good airflow for flying insects, positive pressure ventilation with perhaps sealed nursery walls for ground insects. If there is a leak in a hoophouse with a fan or fans instead of open walls, a positive intake fan, instead of an exhaust fan, will make it less likely for spores and possibly mite caterpillar carriers to enter as the wind current at the hoophouse will be flowing outward instead of attracting pollen inside. A dry perimeter may deter slugs. A rain covered perimeter of slug deterrent around the nursery, or tables, floor coverings, landscape fabric, tarps, plastic may reduce the nearby food supply and favorable conditions for slugs.

One view or approach is to create a protective cage around each plant so to speak. Another is to look for ways to have aphids and slugs not want to be in the area, or for somewhere else to be more favorable. If a slug physically is unable to reach a plant the plant will not sustain slug damage. Building a slug wall for each plant is far more labor intensive than sprinkling seeds outside or having prairie grass in your cannabis garden. Rock salt is only so effective if there is lush green growth food supply for slugs nearby and they are easily able to reach where plants are growing.

therevverend

Veteran
A buddy of mine has been using Mammoth, the stuff made out of Thyme Oil. It wiped out his white flies, thrips, spider mites, and regular aphids. The root aphids were the only ones that weren't completely knocked out. Likely because they're below the surface of the soil and other hard to reach places. He just did a super-drenching to get rid of them once and for all, I'll let you know how that went.

I've read diatomaceous earth works for root aphids, if that's what you've got. Spinosad seems to be the chemical treatment to use. There's a bio-insecticide called BotaniGard, the active ingredient is the fungus Beauveria that infects insects including root aphids and wipes them out. I used Beauveria to get rid of bed bugs and it was 100% effective. They don't develop resistance against it because it's a living organism and not a poison. The biocontrols are awesome, no reason to use harsh chemicals ever again.

CrushnYuba

Kontos.. its systemic... only way to deal with those lil evil bastards for food... go nuclear or they never go away

That sounds like what I'm looking for the most so far. Something systemic. Do you know an application rate? Its supposed to last 30 days. Do i just need 1 treatment? Do u know anyone first hand that has had success using it on these new crazy aphids?

I may try the ortho also.

It's not root aphids. I think they are cannabis aphids.
I'm in Greenhouses. The plants were inside at my neighbors house getting sprayed with pyrethrin. We all had them outside last year and we still haven't gotten rid of them.
When he gave them to me, they had a few spots. The plants are healthy. It's just a few spots. The pyrethrin almost gets rid of them. They look gone but they come back.

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Well, that's good you don't have the devilish root aphids. Storm shadow is right. Kontos for the win...Hard to find tho. Had to get mine off of ebay a year or so ago. 1 ml a gallon, and it'll be all over...

OP

CrushnYuba

Kontos for the win? Thanks budds!! I knew Bayer had something up their sleeve. Those evil german farkers have something to kill anything.

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Captain Jack's? Have u used it on aphids? I went to go buy a bottle and i saw this review

0% effective. I think the aphids actually liked it. There were more the following day after treat...
7 months ago
0% effective. I think the aphids actually liked it. There were more the following day after treating.
I am a organic, natural alternative guy but, it has to work.
I am buying live ladybugs from Armstrong Garden Center. It's a slower method but it works.
Andyman · Reviewed on Home Depot

Have not used it on aphids myself, but I have regained control over several other persistent pests. Concentrate allows you to mix it at different strengths. I found it also helps to prevent Powdery Mildew. Added bonus!!

I cannot tell you why it didn't work for someone else, I can only assure that it did work for me. 2-3 tsp. of concentrate per gallon works great. Reviews that are negative are often put there by someone trying to steer you to a competing product. The reviewer plugs a different store and ladybugs.:yummy:

redlaser

Veteran
Ladybugs are easy to gather now and for the next couple months, not sure how effective they are. A couple years ago I picked up about 4 gallons and released inside a greenhouse. Didn’t have anything for them to eat that I know of, just wanted them to make sure one way or another.
Probably will go grab more because I have aphids on some kratom bushes and avocado tree starts in there now. They don’t bother the canna though. Find them on south facing hillsides within ten feet of water usually, in small handfuls on logs and branches. Harder to find after April. They are out now which is a few weeks earlier than past years.

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Sorry typing not thinking.

Mixing rate for me is 2-3 tsp per quart (not gallon) for a foliar spray. That's 10-15ml per liter. Apologies for posting incorrectly.