What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I need a little help from my friends...

ButterflyEffect

Howdy all.

New run in flower at day 13. I'm getting what looks to me to be Ca. Deficiency detection is a big weakness of mine, so I'm reaching out.

Details:

2 Vertical donuts. 6 plants per. Stacked 315w CMHs. Perpetual w/3 bloom rooms

Hempy 2G 4:1 Perlite/Vermi

Jacks 3-2-1 @ 1.5EC/5.8-6.0pH

80F/65% day & night. Goes down to 50% @ day 30

Strains are Cheese, GG4, C99XXX, Bruce Banger & Black Zombie

I started seeing some defs with stretching after putting them from the T5 to the CMH when they were in veg. The T5 they were horizontal, but I set them up vertical around the CMH. I do this to adapt them to vertical and to kick start growth. Since I'm perpetual, I do this with an eye on scheduling. Typical veg time is 3-4 months.

I asked for advice on another thread about why I had the issue when moving them over to the CMH and I'm wondering if the defs are related. I decided to bump the EC to 2.0 and bump Ca up by 100ppm with Biomin. This feed schedule continued into flower.

I thought the feed change would've been enough to counter any Ca issues, but I guess not:dunno: Bud set looks good, so that's promising. I read a thread recently that implied that once you see a Ca def in flower that it's a lot worse than you think and it's very hard to recover from.

Here are some pics. The issues are contained to the lower leaves.

tycU9tD.jpg

pzygVwK.jpg

mcfzsOa.jpg

TzTAwes.jpg

mowood3479

Veteran
Looks like the first signs of powdery mildew to me... (something I’ve been seeing in my gardens lately)
Really bad year for pm in my area...
Hope I’m wrong and it’s something easier to remedy

ButterflyEffect

Uggh.

I never really considered PM or any fungal issues. Mainly because there are always runs going and if I get defs like this, which isn't always the case, things tend to work out. But now that I think on it, the last run from the get-go, had fans yellowing up and down the plant everyday. The spots on the leaves, not so much, but they'd just yellow and dry up.

Maybe something in that room. Suggestions? Both for the room and the plants.

Thanks!

troutman

Seed Whore
It helps to give your grow area a break in between grows with a really good cleaning to reduces pests. :tiphat:

ButterflyEffect

It helps to give your grow area a break in between grows with a really good cleaning to reduces pests. :tiphat:

Truth

I've been terrible about it the past few runs. Funny how you can trace so much back to 'user error'! My father was a pilot. He believed that 99% of all crashes were pilot error. I agree.

I'll be trying to manage it and limp through this run, but I'll get things straight from here on out.

ButterflyEffect

So, I'm gonna spray tonight with some Potassium Bicarbonate. Hopefully, that buys me some time. I already dropped the humidity to 40% and I'll be adding a few more fans.

I'm gonna pick up some actinovate and see how that plays out. Maybe all of these things with better cleaning practices will nip this in the bud!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
It looks like/could be mildew. Not enough air circulation. The wall also blocks airflow. Perhaps also a pruning of lower growth would help. And removing the affected leaves.

ButterflyEffect

It looks like/could be mildew. Not enough air circulation. The wall also blocks airflow. Perhaps also a pruning of lower growth would help. And removing the affected leaves.

I'm leaning toward Septoria at this point. I'm increasing the airflow for sure. That's been an issue. That run is due to be screened now, so that'll get all of the foliage nice and flat without it getting all on top of itself.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I don't think it's an aggressive fungal issue. Spores come in on the air all the time so cleaning probably wouldn't suppress this symptom. Especially during Autumn(fall) when the ground is covered in dead leaves being composted by the stuff. You could breathe in 10 Billion today.

Silicone is for cell wall strength isn't it? Everything I see here says drowning. If you have some hydrogen peroxide then slip some to a single plant and see if it picks it's leaves up.

ButterflyEffect

I don't think it's an aggressive fungal issue. Spores come in on the air all the time so cleaning probably wouldn't suppress this symptom. Especially during Autumn(fall) when the ground is covered in dead leaves being composted by the stuff. You could breathe in 10 Billion today.

Silicone is for cell wall strength isn't it? Everything I see here says drowning. If you have some hydrogen peroxide then slip some to a single plant and see if it picks it's leaves up.

I do a foliar rotation when of Mg, CalNit, Rhizo and AgSil til about day 23. I did have the humidity pretty high, too. ~65 til about day 35. I think conditions were ripe. Add to that water getting under my pond liner when my controller locked and ran my mister for 2 days straight! Room was empty thankfully.

Maybe the Si drench not foliar? I usually don't cuz I don't have to ph at all with my current setup, which is nice. I was gonna do a rhizo drench tonight and a peroxide one tomorrow to see what happens.

I don't think they're overwatered though. It's pretty hard to do in a hempy. They're still at a point where they need to be fed about every 2 days. Now that stretch is over, they're about ready to get fed every day. Plants are pretty big for a 2G pot. Hole is 2" up from the bottom so the res isn't super big.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I'm leaning toward Septoria at this point. I'm increasing the airflow for sure. That's been an issue. That run is due to be screened now, so that'll get all of the foliage nice and flat without it getting all on top of itself.
Also, the bamboo stakes are a likely source for infection.

It is always best to avoid any cloth or wood in an indoor grow, even outdoors - wooden stakes, carpets, curtains, ropes, they're all sources for fungal growth.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
One bag of Fox Farm will fill two of those buckets maybe three or four with perlite. Depending on a few things somewhere around ten or twenty dollars each for grow media including organic nutrients and container for flowering. The way you are describing it may or may sound economical, leaf issues aren't what you want. I understand what you are saying, it's just so much easier :) Potassium bicarbonate Plant Therapy lime sulfur.

ButterflyEffect

Also, the bamboo stakes are a likely source for infection.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=80582&pictureid=2098077]View Image[/url]

It is always best to avoid any cloth or wood in an indoor grow, even outdoors - wooden stakes, carpets, curtains, ropes, they're all sources for fungal growth.

Good eye! I use them for my screens. Any thoughts as to what would be a good alternative?

Sadly, I also have exposed wood in the room, as well. I threw these rooms together in the most awful of ways. A carpenter, I am not!