What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

indoor grow (soil) help !! whitefly

axle2u

hello good folks,

anybody here got a good home remedy or any advise
on how to get rid of white fly....??

I have been battling this for months, I used to be able to bring down the population, but im losing control of it...

ive tried 2 different kinds of insecticidal soaps safe for plants
and I got the yellow flypaper white fly strips....and a population boom....

I have an indoor cabinet, 3 mature plants just 1 week deep in flower cycle....I need to eradicate these bastards before nugs start to develop.....I don't want to spray anything on them when I have nugs going on....im also on a semi modified scrog type set up, so its not easy to move my plants in and out of my cabinet, they flop all over, and im afraid to snap a stem....

any advise, is appreciated - humungo

thank you so much, my friends

-axle

T

Teddybrae

Maybe those roach 'bombs'. Let one off in the cabinet. That won't kill the eggs tho'.
So where are the fly living when they're not on yr plants? Are there places in yr cabinet where they lay eggs, for example, and then the eggs hatch after you've sprayed?

starke

Horticultural Oil (It's Mineral Oil) 5 TBS per gal and a few drops of dish soap. Spray thoroughly top and bottom of leaves, stems etc. Repeat every other day for six days. Spray just before lights out to avoid leaf damage. Do not use in flower. Although it is not an insecticide per say, it will brown pistils. Use a pump up sprayer with a wand so you can get to all parts of your plants in the scrog. Good luck.

hayday

Veteran
Spinosid will knock the little bastards back but its a battle. I hate white flies.

axle2u

Maybe those roach 'bombs'. Let one off in the cabinet. That won't kill the eggs tho'.
So where are the fly living when they're not on yr plants? Are there places in yr cabinet where they lay eggs, for example, and then the eggs hatch after you've sprayed?

to my understanding, they do lay eggs, on bottom side of leaves
I know I will not get rid of them completely, this has been an ongoing battle for me since summer....summer time I had to shuffle plants around from my outdoor grow site, to indoor grow site (cabinet) I decided to make my first hybrid outdoor, and only sacrificed 1 female for the project, and brought the other female home....she was ridden with bugs, so I sprayed her good with a vinegar water mix, damn near killed her, but I managed to bring her back, with a vengeance...took months...I got rid of all the bugs, except the damn white fly....of course that infected my other 2 healthy females in my cabinet....I have managed to bring the population down to almost non existant....but everytime I spray them, the plants don't like it....sometimes wilt a little, stunts growth of top leaves, you can see adverse effects eh...
and this is with 2 different "safe for plants" insecticidal soaps..
I also have the yellow fly strips too...they work, but slow...and not effective enough...I got 200 or more now...I guestimate, tiny tiny tiny little things, and they move fast too...a little flec of white blur is all you will ever see...just a spec of white...

I have to sterilize all my equip, cabinet, and swap out all the mylar too....but after harvest, im week 1 flower cycle
after about 2 months, I will drop all the leaves, that will help for sure, but that's not for 2 months....last time I ran this strain I flowererd for 13 weeks, before I started to get the color of trichomes I was trying for...

-axle
so I have to at least, keep them at bay....until then
bring off harvest, and sterilize...

axle2u

Spinosid will knock the little bastards back but its a battle. I hate white flies.

and I definitely share that feeling of hating white fly....
im there already...

so is this stuff you recommend, is it safe to use during flower cycle ?

thanks pal....im week 1 flower cycle

-axle..................:tiphat:

hayday

Veteran
and I definitely share that feeling of hating white fly....
im there already...

so is this stuff you recommend, is it safe to use during flower cycle ?

thanks pal....im week 1 flower cycle

-axle..................:tiphat:

I would not use late flower and definantly not on the flowers but I will spray leaves up until mid flower.

axle2u

I would not use late flower and definantly not on the flowers but I will spray leaves up until mid flower.

ok....sounds good
I mean something that I agree with, not spraying any shit on buds
but like I said im just week 1 of the cycle

so hayday, where would I find this stuff now ?
keeping in mind its out of season (winter)..

thanks pal....

-axle

hayday

Veteran
This stuff here...
picture.php

I use it for thrips and white flies but like I said, spray just the leaves and follow the instructions on the label.I think its 7 ml per pint.

You can get it at most any nursury or feed store around where I am. Hoe depot and lowes might have it

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
hello good folks,

anybody here got a good home remedy or any advise
on how to get rid of white fly....??

I have been battling this for months, I used to be able to bring down the population, but im losing control of it...

ive tried 2 different kinds of insecticidal soaps safe for plants
and I got the yellow flypaper white fly strips....and a population boom....

I have an indoor cabinet, 3 mature plants just 1 week deep in flower cycle....I need to eradicate these bastards before nugs start to develop.....I don't want to spray anything on them when I have nugs going on....im also on a semi modified scrog type set up, so its not easy to move my plants in and out of my cabinet, they flop all over, and im afraid to snap a stem....

any advise, is appreciated - humungo

thank you so much, my friends

-axle
My personal last resort:

water - 1 quart
vegetable oil - a teaspoon
liquid soap - just enough to dissolve the oil in water
pyrethrine - 10 drops

The vegetable oil makes it harder for feeding insects, and smothers insect eggs. Pyrethrine paralyses adult insects.

axle2u

This stuff here...View Image
I use it for thrips and white flies but like I said, spray just the leaves and follow the instructions on the label.I think its 7 ml per pint.

You can get it at most any nursury or feed store around where I am. Hoe depot and lowes might have it

thanks buddy, much appreciated !

-axle

axle2u

My personal last resort:

water - 1 quart
vegetable oil - a teaspoon
liquid soap - just enough to dissolve the oil in water
pyrethrine - 10 drops

The vegetable oil makes it harder for feeding insects, and smothers insect eggs. Pyrethrine paralyses adult insects.

hey thank you for this recipe...
I just read up some on " pyrethrin "....that's good stuff !
I mean its completely organtic and safe to use on stuff like garden veggies.....it degrades quickly, so there is no lingering residue
it is made from chrysanthemums (a natural flower)...
pyrethrin paralyzes almost instantly, white fly....you can use it spot spraying....like not have to soak the plants, just spray some here some there....couple treatments and viola....from my understanding of what I just read....

yup, I definitely like your recipe...
thank you so much my friend

-axle

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Just to add - just because something is natural doesn't mean it's harmless. Nicotine is natural and can kill people in high concentrations. And also makes for an effective insecticide, which is why tobacco produces it.

The Thuoc Lao or Mapacho experience (i.e. super high nicotine levels)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZMrrCNQ8tY

It is still best not to get any of the stuff on you, so you should wear gloves, wash your face and change your clothes after application.

Like I said, it's my last resort for insects whose numbers have gone out of control. My main controls are open air with lots of predator insects flying in; high potassium for plant health; silica for strong cells which also acts as an anti-feedant against insects; a permanent water basin so the plant always has enough water which reduces stress; stimulating fungal growth with calories and carbon both to deter insects and surround the plant with beneficial fungi. And lastly I make a combucha of cannabis leaves and raw sugar, which I think extracts beneficial fungi from the leaves as well as nutrients, and the sugar stimulates bacterial/fungal growth.

axle2u

Just to add - just because something is natural doesn't mean it's harmless. Nicotine is natural and can kill people in high concentrations. And also makes for an effective insecticide, which is why tobacco produces it.

The Thuoc Lao or Mapacho experience (i.e. super high nicotine levels)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZMrrCNQ8tY

It is still best not to get any of the stuff on you, so you should wear gloves, wash your face and change your clothes after application.

Like I said, it's my last resort for insects whose numbers have gone out of control. My main controls are open air with lots of predator insects flying in; high potassium for plant health; silica for strong cells which also acts as an anti-feedant against insects; a permanent water basin so the plant always has enough water which reduces stress; stimulating fungal growth with calories and carbon both to deter insects and surround the plant with beneficial fungi. And lastly I make a combucha of cannabis leaves and raw sugar, which I think extracts beneficial fungi from the leaves as well as nutrients, and the sugar stimulates bacterial/fungal growth.

^ thank you, you sound quite knowledgeable...
I never knew that about nicotine, yet ive worked for several years on tobacco farms as a youngster (paid well-good money-hard work)....and I smoke...lol

im really hate this white fly issue I got...
im so frustrated with it...months now...

what about a light vinager/water mix....spray on
would that help ?

-axle

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
^ thank you, you sound quite knowledgeable...
I never knew that about nicotine, yet ive worked for several years on tobacco farms as a youngster (paid well-good money-hard work)....and I smoke...lol

im really hate this white fly issue I got...
im so frustrated with it...months now...

what about a light vinager/water mix....spray on
would that help ?

-axle
Pyrethrine is just fine, it breaks down in days into non-toxic substances.

All you need to do is use the normal precautions when working with anything that is toxic, whether it's oil paint or anything else.

- Put some covering over your clothes and remove that after spraying
- wash your hands and face with cold water, because warm water opens pores and speeds absorbtion.
- never spray anything on flowers

With those caveats, pyrethrin is very safe to apply and safe to use. There are non-organic versions of pyrethrin which should be avoided, however if you buy from companies like Ecostyle or Safer, they're ok.

axle2u

I use those yellow sticky traps for white flies and have super results.

thanks,
yes I use those too....and they do work, but not 100% effective

my best guess, is 25% effective....
it reduces population by 25% approx...

and I also agree with prevention,
unfortunately ive made some mistakes along the way with this grow, and as a result have a white fly infestation to deal with...
the trick is not to get it in the first place

there is not much I can do now, to eradicate them
until after harvest, they are here to stay....I just need to control the population boom, until harvest,
then do a complete teardown and sterilize all my equip and cabinet, and re-do all the mylar
(which I already have a 50' roll of)...

and chalk this one up to experience, of what not to do...
bring in an outdoor plant -indoors....big big mistake folks
lol....

-axle