What's new

Cost Comparion of BTi Products

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
As we all know, Bacillus thuringiensis serotype israelensis (BTi) is effective natural pesticide to control Fungus Gnats. So how do we measure BTi? Which product is the best "deal" for buying BTi?

Well, that question requires a little back of the envelope math before one can actually compare different BTi products. You see, BTi is measured in International Toxic Units (ITU) at various concentrations ranging between 100 to 7,000 ITU/mg. The "Active Ingredient Percentage" on the label is just part of the story...gotta include the amount of ITU/mg.

An 8% "active ingredient" product formulated with 1200 ITU/mg has 96 ITU (1200 x 0.08) for each milligram of product.

A 3% "active ingredient" product formulated with 7000 ITU/mg has 210 ITU (7000 x 0.03) for each milligram of product.

Hmmm, that means the 3% products has nearly twice the amount of ITU than the 8% product. WTF?

Also, application methods are different. Some products are RTU (ready to use) for both soil and water applications, others like Vectobac require the preparation of fermentation slurry to activate the BTi, and some are only water soluble (not to be mixed directly with the grow medium).

Since not all BTi products are "equal", I have prepared a comparison of the "usual suspects" and correlated everything to cents per million ITU.

picture.php

Gnatrol is the most affordable, but can only be used in a liquid suspension form--you can not add the powder directly to the grow medium.

Bits is the 2nd most affordable and can be added to both water and the directly to the potting soil. When added to the water, BTi is instantly activated...but when mixed with potting soil, BTi is gradually activated (time release of sorts) for about 21 days. Bits are basically corn cob bits sprayed with BTi.

Dunks are slow acting (gradual release as the "donut" dissolves) and can be added to the potting soil directly--but must be crumbled to a powder like consistency (PIA). Dunks are pressed donuts made of gypsum and cork bits sprayed with BTi.

I have no experience with Vectobac products but a special fermentation slurry must be prepared before the BTi is activated (an additional step that most BTi products do not require).

Microbelift BMC is already in liquid form and like Gnatrol, it must be diluted in water before use...and from my analysis, is not a bargain.

I previously used both Gnatrol and Dunks, but for the past few years I exclusively use Bits for my source of BTi ($120 for 5 gallon bucket). I mix Bits directly to my water (30 ml/20 gallon rez), mix Bits directly in the potting soil (5 ml/5 gallon container) and mix Bits with my top dressing fertility (7.5 ml/5 gallon container).

One product for all. Admittedly, I could use Dunks form my water rez, but since that rez is used and refilled daily, I prefer the faster acting Bits over the slow release Dunks.

So there you have it. If there are other BTi products you want included in my analysis, please let me know and I will be more than happy to add them.

Last edited:

swimman

Interesting post, I've been considering switching from the dunks to bits as IMO the dunks are a pain in the ass to grind up, but they do work superb.

I recently had a terrible infestation, I introduced ground dunks to the soil, mixed it in, and also bombed the room with 20 lb of CO2. Two weeks later, practically gnat free.

Least favorite thing about organic growing is the fcking gnats.

Absolem

The cheapest BTI product I've found is Microbe Lift Bmc. It's super concentrated BTI for ponds. I use it at 1ml/10 gallons in my stock tank solution. It's a liquid. It's works out to the medium/strong strength dosage for Gnatrol.......................EDIT.....For some reason I didn't see the nice chart Doctim420 posted when I looked at this on my phone. Nice work

Attachments

• lg_19302_27213D.jpg
    lg_19302_27213D.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 12

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Yeah...when you actually compare "apples" with "apples", it is amazing to see the $/million ITU is all over the place.

Not suggesting Bits are the "end all" for gnats, but I am rather happy with the ease of use for both "drenches" and "grow medium" control. For drenches, I add 5ml/gallon to any brew I am delivering to the grow medium....and for grow medium control, I mix it to both the potting soil at transplant time and then once again as a top dressing (sprinkle actually). Can't add the powder or "concentrated liquid" directly to the grow medium--but grabbing a scoop of Bits is a snap.

Since BTi is "BTi"...whether it is sourced from Gnatrol, Bits or Microbelift--BTi kills gnats via the same mode of action (MOA). In otherwords, the Gnats don't care if the BTi is sourced from corn cob bits or in a water soluble clay powder--they are goners...provided the pupa comes in contact with BTi during the first 2 instar stages of the gnat's 3 week life cycle. Said differently, BTi is NOT a contact pesticide and is basically a piss in the wind during the other times of the gnat's life.

Oh yeah, another weapon in my FG arsenal is saponins. Add a bit to my bacteria brew and I have noticed a significant decline. I clip yellow cards (3x5 card cut in half) to each container and veg for a long time (45-60 days). I average about 2 gnats per sq inch...and that is after 70+ days in flower...same card used for both veg & flower.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts