What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can't tell if you have root rot or the brown slime algae, come on in ?!

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran

Take a look at the following 10 pictures and figure out if this is what you think you have.

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran

If you think you got a match with one of the previous 10 pictures, then you most likely have been slimed. You need to go directly to the Slime Haters Club.

Jump directly to post # 1230 for the consolidation. Everything you need to know about the slime is there. Click the link.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=55259&page=82

We have the pictures, the testimonials, and the proof that the slime can be beat and it does have a scientific name.

If you don't have a match, then continue on down to the next set of pictures.

richyrich

Veteran

Take a look at the following pictures and see if you have a match.

If you found a match in the last set of pictures, you most likely have root rot also known as pythium. This thread is going to be mainly dedicated to root rot and all root problems not slimy. Slimers, you go to the Slime Haters Club.

If you are not sure or don't have a match to any picture, stay in this thread. We will try to get it figured out.

You will help yourself the most by giving us your story, details, and PICTURES so we can best help you. Descriptions from person to person are subjective and will vary wildly. We will be at a handicap without pictures. Use that camera in your pocket that's in your cell phone.

richyrich

Veteran
(moved over from the slime club)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneit

I have a brutal brown fungi that is now airborne.. no matter what i have tried it wins..
do you have a recommendation for this?

I tried some teas in the past with no luck.
any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran

Quote:

I have a brutal brown fungi that is now airborne.. no matter what i have tried it wins..
do you have a recommendation for this?

I tried some teas in the past with no luck.
any help would be appreciated
----------

I need to know what you have tried so I can help you. Make a list or tell your story.

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran
Best way to not get root rot or slime is to switch to dtw coco.

You are correct, but some of us can't give up the hydro for some reason. I went to coco dtw back in 2008 when dealing with the slime. I beat the slime though and went back to hydro.

In the slime club thread my instructions are to go to soil or coco dtw if they can't shake the slime. Coco is pretty awesome, forgiving, and easy to grow with. Yet, some of us rather go thru torture just to grow hydro...

richyrich

Veteran

Quote:

This started about 3yrs ago when i received some bubba cuts that were rooted but dying, the roots were brown, should have tossed them but i had no idea what was about to befall us.
We run a top feed perlite system that feeds 4 times a day, 100 gallon rez per 2k SOG.

I have 4 owned spots that had to be abandoned because of this disease. half million in properties.

I have tried just about everything, list off the top of my head...
mycostop
actinovate
bleach
pool shock
35% peroxide
dutch master zone
immunux
alliet wg
excel lg
ro water from outside source
tap water from outside source
great white
some canadian express root enhancer?
SMS
Physan
UV sterilization

Im sure i am forgetting some other products.

I have run 100's of experiments from seed/clone, soil flood and drain etc..

They only thing that kind of worked was zone, however once the flant got to 20 days flower and new root development slowed, the fungi won!

Pool shock helped, but the amount need everyday to keep the ppm to 1.5 caused salt toxicity by early flower and killed them anyways.

I Sent to sample out.. one to penn state, and one to wisonsin..
results came back that we have a pythium/rhizotona problem.. lol
No details to exactly what the disease is.

Now.. if i take cuts and give them a physan bath.. i can take them to any other place and they will grow disease free.
This tells me that it is not systemic to the plant.
I now know it is not in the local water or mediums, if i bring in new cuts or seedlings they acquire the disease over night, not using any materials from my spot.
So what ever we have is in spore form and grows EXTREMELY fast.

This problem has retired many people in my area, it spread quick, not everyone could afford to move to a new location.

Any help will be very welcome and appreciated!

Snype

Veteran
Sometimes some Cyanobacteria is resistant to Chlorine. I had this type for years and the only thing that worked for me was to sterilize all my equipment with Erythromycin. It worked wonders for me. Physan20 didn't do anything at all for me for the specific Cyanobacteria that I had. I tried everything. Almost gave up growing because of all the problems and all the money that I lost at the time. I also have a thread on the topic in my signature for people who can't kill it with Physan 20. I like your idea on your tea. My problem is that I grow in sterile systems and nothing living in RDWC systems. So for me it's just not an option but it's a great option for other people to have. The thread that I had was a copy of a thread that I actually did on another handle that I had at the time "Ultra Current". I was flammed like crazy for saying that the slime was actually a cyanobacteria but I think some people are starting to come around.

richyrich

Veteran

Quote:

These were fresh clones brought in, over night you can see the brown stuff starting to grow.

richyrich

Veteran

doneit,

Half way down I was already thinking root rot (pythium) because only root rot is going to make it past that list, and then I read what your lab report stated to reinforce that.

First order of business is to rule out root rot. I need a good description or to see a picture of what you have the plants growing in and I need to know or see how they drain. If you are doing SOG, something is telling me you are running trays? If so, what kind of trays? Pictures help tremendously and its handicapping without them. Are the roots slimy or are they just brown and nasty looking?

When you go the bubba cut, what was it in. Soil, RW, etc?

Pictures of roots if you can. After I battled an unknown slime from hell for 5 years and beat it, you can beat anything so have hope.

If you are intent on taking cuts to a new place, yes you can cleanse them with Physon20. The website states it can be used exactly for that. I would rinse your cuts with clear bottled water first. Second, I would rinse the cuts with Physon20 properly diluted to bottled water, and last cleanse them with plain bottled water again.

That nuts that its happening that widespread. What are the other people stating is happening? What symptoms are they reporting?

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran

Quote:

It is crazy i know!
The reason everyone contracted it is because they all shared the same mother and clone room, ran that way for 10+ yrs until this hit.

This pic is from my friends grow, he is using Zone which allowed him to finish the crop, however at drastically reduced results.
it is not slime, they smell like cucumber, with out the zone they would have been dead long ago.

Here is a recent pic of how the system works... this is my table and not infected, however the system is the same.
top feed recirculating every 4 hrs. rez is under the table and provides complete flush every feed.

The Original bubba cuts that started this were in jiffy pucks, i assumed they were just dying from transit.

I sure hope you can help... to be honest, i had to tell my friends that i give up around 6 months ago, your our last hope! lol

richyrich

Veteran
Sometimes some Cyanobacteria is resistant to Chlorine. I had this type for years and the only thing that worked for me was to sterilize all my equipment with Erythromycin. It worked wonders for me. Physan20 didn't do anything at all for me for the specific Cyanobacteria that I had. I tried everything. Almost gave up growing because of all the problems and all the money that I lost at the time. I also have a thread on the topic in my signature for people who can't kill it with Physan 20. I like your idea on your tea. My problem is that I grow in sterile systems and nothing living in RDWC systems. So for me it's just not an option but it's a great option for other people to have. The thread that I had was a copy of a thread that I actually did on another handle that I had at the time "Ultra Current". I was flammed like crazy for saying that the slime was actually a cyanobacteria but I think some people are starting to come around.

I browsed at your threads real quick.

Get rid of “The Slime” aka “Brown Slime Algae” aka “Cyanobacteria” forever! 10-31-2011, 07:07 AM #1 Ultra Current
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=224658

Get rid of “The Slime” aka “Brown Slime Algae” aka “Cyanobacteria”! 07-23-2013, 09:26 AM #1 Snype
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=267488

It looks like good information in the second thread. I'll set up a link in the slime club thread. I see that the first thread went downhill fast. Maybe it was because you started in on Halloween 2011, lol. You shouldn't of been flamed because you are right. The brown slime algae is a cyanobacteria. I got to go back in time and see where I posted that. I know its in the slime club.

Oh snap, I mentioned antibiotics back in 2007. That completely slipped my mind. That's awesome to see that its working out for you. I obviously never got around to it. Here's what I posted in the slime club back in May 2007.

BROWN ALGAE!!!!!!!! It's our problem. I dont think folks here know that it is not root rot. There is not much info here. I am gonna find the physan 20 and try that. Also, the aquarium talk says to use antibiotics. Its algae, not root rot.

And what I posted on cyanobacteria in September 2007:

There are some very plausible theories as to why this algae often appears in newly set up tanks and then later disappears. If the silicate (Si) to phosphate (P) ratio is high, then diatoms are likely to have a growth advantage over true algae types and Cyanobacteria. Some of the silicate may come from the tapwater,

And cyanobacteria again in April 2008:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=1617775&highlight=cyanobacteria#post1617775 # 234

I have been calling this brown algae this whole time which is somewhat right. There is a classification of algae that is brown. But, I do believe what we are dealing with here is cyanobacteria. It is commonly referred to as blue green algae. But, it is just a classification and there are several kinds. This cyanobacteria can be any color, such as our brown slimy friend. So, the greenish colored algae that most of us have seen is a cousin sort of say. And this cyanobacteria is not really a bacteria or algae; it is an in between. Somewhat of a link between the two.

There is a tested and proven sterile route to take against the slime in the slime club thread. It got buried in there with all the cross talk and talk about the tea. At the same time I was playing with tea mixtures I was also running another study with a UV Sterilizing light in the rez. It worked, and the other members started adding the UV Lights to their RO filters to kill the spores in their incoming tap water and they successfully went that route with no tea. Their purpose was to remove and kill any and all spores in their tap water. I recall fellow icmager Itsgrowtime doing that and a few others following.

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
I browsed at your thread real quick.

Get rid of “The Slime” aka “Brown Slime Algae” aka “Cyanobacteria”! 07-23-2013, 09:26 AM #1 Snype
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=267488

It looks like good information. I'll set up a link in the slime club thread. You shouldn't of been flamed because you are right. The brown slime algae is a cyanobacteria. I got to go back in time and see where I posted that. I know its in the slime club.

Yeah I just skimmed through that thread and you talked about it in April of 2008. I never saw that before. Looks like your formula works for you which is good because mine also works when the physan won't kill it for people who grow in sterile systems. So now we have a few approaches to combat the problem. I'll put a link in my threads as well to your thread. This thread looks like it's going to be pretty informative for the community. Nice work!

I don't want anyone to take anything that I'm saying the wrong way. Antibiotics aren't to be used on your consumable crops. It is only to be used to sterilize your systems or cloners when Physan 20 doesn't work. If you have to run plants, in your systems instead of trying to sterilize them, it is better to use RichyRich's Tea Recipe instead. It is better to make the choice to sterilize the systems when no plants are going to be used. You can always do this after the plants come out of the cloner. Even when Physan 20 doesn't work and you have to use Erythromycin to sterilize the cloner, you have to understand that if you have a Chlorine Resistant Cyanobacteria in your drinking water, it's not going to go away and you still have to figure out how to deal with that water. The most delicate stage of growth is the very early stages, including cloning. You may have to consider boiling your water for your cloner before you use it or use bottled water for the cloner. This is what I did. I was not able to do that in my flowering and VEG systems though because it was way too much water. What I noticed, is even when you have a Chlorine Resistant Cyanobacteria in your water, as long as your clones have nice healthy roots and are not stressed, when you introduce them to VEG and Bloom, it is much harder for the Cyanobacteria to multiple and take hold of the plants. This same ideas also go with Root Rot (pythium). I would assume that the Chlorine Resistant Cyanobacteria is rare but I really have no idea. It may not be as rare as it was as time goes on. I did have 4 or 5 EZ cloners from different locations that would not produce any roots on cuts but would only product slime until I treated all my cloners with my Erythromycin treatments.

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran

doneit,

Okay, I'm getting a mental picture now and I'm already formulating a plan.

How is your light set up and your ventilation routed?
Are you air cooling the lights?
Are you using A/C?
Are you using CO2?
Are you running a carbon scrubber? What kind of fan is attached?
Are you using any filters for the incoming air?
How big is the room?
What is the hottest temp the room gets up to? Highest humidity too?
Are you oxygenating the rez with an air stone and pump?
What is the hottest temp the rez gets to?

richyrich

Veteran

Quote:

OK...
This is my friends description which is indicative of all the old rooms.
Non air cooled 1k's, each room is air exchanged with hepa filters and scrubbers with 8" vortechs. only runs for a few minutes every few hours during winter
i keep my rooms constant 76 degrees with 50-60% humidity.
This particular room is 12'x20'
The rez's have airstones with major waterfall effect when running... see the pic od the drain setup, it runs hard and fast.
Rez temps are in the 60's

I cant tell you how much i appreciate your help!

richyrich

Veteran
(moved from the slime club)

doneit,

I seen the message you left to the pic in my forum. That pic is a mild case of root rot. I'm pretty sure you have no slime going on as I first thought. So far it appears you all have the narliest outbreak of pythium (root rot) I've ever heard of thus far, but that does not make it impossible.

Along with the other questions, re the pics with the perlite in cups, when you feed those does the nute water wet that perlite all the way at the top where you see that funk growing?

richyrich

Veteran
(moved from the slime club thread)

Quote:

Yes they would be top fed..
However, those perlite cups were moist from being fed before brought to my friends grow.. that brown shit was not present the day before, it spreads like wild fire!

This is how i know it is airborne, I have spent hundreds of hours researching, reading, experimenting to no avail.
Not to mention the amount cost in products and lost harvests.
This has truly been mind boggling... on the verge of wrist cutting! lol

I have not seen anything like this anywhere.. i have battled pythium, powdery mildew, whitefly's, spidermites, etc over my almost 20yrs.. this problem is on a whole new level...

richyrich

Veteran

doneit,

Before we go any further I need you to promise that if I spend my time helping you, that you will follow my instructions to the T. I know when in this type of hair pulling situation, your mind will go wild and it is hard to stick to one plan. It's very difficult! I went nearly mad from 5 years of it, lol.

Since you have several rooms, what I am going to ask you to do is dedicate one room to this plan and the guidance I give you. The room that is good right now, you will leave that one alone and do as you like.

I want you to pick your narliest and nastiest room that you think is the most infected.

You will probably have to buy some equipment if you do not already have your own grow store of extras like I do. Nothing crazy expensive. Filters, fans, pumps, certain nutes, etc.. Things that might be needed depending on how this goes.

Do you have a grow store close by or a place you order from that you can get things from easily?

I have to emphasize again that you have to stay committed and not change anything from the plan to come. Otherwise this will all be done for nothing because any deviation can throw off the methodical ruling out process I will by laying out. Change one thing and you will never know for sure what the problem is and the cursed problem will persist.

What say you?

richyrich

Veteran

Quote:

I am as dedicated as they come RR... I assure you if you are willing to take the time, the least i can do is adhere to your wishes.

I can use my friends room, it is full on diseased as we speak! lol

I have sheds full of equipment if needed.

Latest posts

Latest posts