What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gifted0ne

If you've got the broad mite clear the grow room,clean ,disinfect
They will eat your bud and if you do treat the plants you will still end up smoking dead bugs

You know what the difference is between smoking microscopic mites and not? Probably absolutely nothing. Imagine all the bacteria that is killed and dead in your meat when you cook it.

I'd be much more worried about people spraying poisons on plants.

Ez Rider

Veteran
I think I've got the dreaded broad mite. Can't see the bastards, but here's the plants. Opinions?

Attachments

• 20131121_134936.jpg
    20131121_134936.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20131121_134943.jpg
    20131121_134943.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20131121_134956.jpg
    20131121_134956.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20131121_135056.jpg
    20131121_135056.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20131121_135217.jpg
    20131121_135217.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 16

Ez Rider

Veteran
You've got them. Get a scope to confirm.

Borrowed a scope. So far I've only been able to see one. A sort of clear, jellybean at 100x. I was able to score a little Avid from the guy with the scope. Going to hit them with it now. He says reapply in 5 days to be safe. Does this sound right? I know nothing about broadmites.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
F'in Hate'em. Peeps in the Mitten are being surprised by Failed Crops. Unbelieving of the carnage to come until it's too late. I will start my room here within a couple weeks from seed ONLY...

I just called my friend who works for a popular seed company and asked for seeds. He told me the plants that makes their seeds have broad mites!...so now im looking into heat treatment for seeds (120 degrees for 90 min) and maybe even a bleach/water 4:1 soak for 10 min etc. But I don't see much data on cannabis seed sterilization. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.growseed.org/seedtreatments.html

99%

99%

I think I've got the dreaded broad mite. Can't see the bastards, but here's the plants. Opinions?

Seeing your pics almost made me pass out. I went through HELL for years with plants like yours. I feel your soon to be pain. Im 99% sure that is BM damage. Sorry bro.Never,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever.EVER...get clones from anyone period. Grow from seed.

Ez Rider

Veteran
Hoping for the best

Hoping for the best

I thoroughly sprayed with Avid @2ml/gal(what was recommended to me). I've since found out this is probably too much. ~1ml/gal is what I've seen in this thread. Is 2ml/gal a problem? My understanding is that Avid doesn't kill eggs, so at what point do I reapply? Should the Avid alone do the trick, or am I going to need additional products? Is ERADICATING these bastards with spraying a REALISTIC outcome? Sorry, haven't had time to read all 177 pages yet. Thanks for the replies :tiphat:

On a side note, I've been having nothing but trouble all year, at least now I know why.

Forbid/judo

Forbid/judo

I thoroughly sprayed with Avid @2ml/gal(what was recommended to me). I've since found out this is probably too much. ~1ml/gal is what I've seen in this thread. Is 2ml/gal a problem? My understanding is that Avid doesn't kill eggs, so at what point do I reapply? Should the Avid alone do the trick, or am I going to need additional products? Is ERADICATING these bastards with spraying a REALISTIC outcome? Sorry, haven't had time to read all 177 pages yet. Thanks for the replies :tiphat:

On a side note, I've been having nothing but trouble all year, at least now I know why.

There are opposing views on this subject as you will find. I would suggest using a regiem of heat treatments followed by OGBiowar foliar sprays twice a week for three weeks then once a week for another month or two. Then once or twice a month for preventive. If you go with the easier route using toxic chems like avid or forbid I used Forbid/judo (judo same chem) twice at one week interval. And then not go directly into flower for a number of months. You won't have much success because of the toxins from the broad mites anyway. But you can feed aspirin (uncoated) at 325 mg tabs per gallon in rez to mitigate much of the toxin (Some strains handle the toxin much better than others). And I also bought new fresh seeds to start over (and kept a few prized strain mothers that could not be replaced) Two of the strains survived completely from the heat ogbiowar treatments and one og is almost fully recovered it's my understanding some strains (or individual plants) never recover, some only recover after a long period maybe a year or more, some recover rather quickly. It's your call some people like myself have had complete success using the Heat/Ogbiowar others (I suspect did not follow strict instructions) did not fare as well. Sanitizing your entire grow area with heat is what I would advise and spraying with ogb on an ongoing basis.Because you want to make sure you don't have the problem again. Or you could do as some have suggested and spray toxic chems all over your grow room as I have witnessed on these boards. For myself it made much more sense to use non toxic methods on a regular basis because I did not find using Forbid on a regular basis healthy or productive (To keep your grow safe over time) it's your call in the end. GL.

knubs

Borrowed a scope. So far I've only been able to see one. A sort of clear, jellybean at 100x. I was able to score a little Avid from the guy with the scope. Going to hit them with it now. He says reapply in 5 days to be safe. Does this sound right? I know nothing about broadmites.

dont EVER spray flowering plants.
here are your options
you can kill all your plants. flowering ones are doomed because of the toxins that are already there from the mites anyways. your moms probably are too by now. the toxins takes months or years to wear off.
if you have a strain that is priceless to you make your mom small and battle with rotated forbid, avid, kontos, ogbiowar, and heat treatments every week for a minimum of 6 months(it's been years for most of us). this isn't a one cure bug to say the least...

if you kill everything then stay shut down for 6 months to a year and heat treat the grow area regularly up to 120 degrees and forbid treat as well. also make sure no other plants on your property have broad mites..

Ez Rider

Veteran
dont EVER spray flowering plants.
here are your options
you can kill all your plants. flowering ones are doomed because of the toxins that are already there from the mites anyways. your moms probably are too by now. the toxins takes months or years to wear off.
if you have a strain that is priceless to you make your mom small and battle with rotated forbid, avid, kontos, ogbiowar, and heat treatments every week for a minimum of 6 months(it's been years for most of us). this isn't a one cure bug to say the least...

if you kill everything then stay shut down for 6 months to a year and heat treat the grow area regularly up to 120 degrees and forbid treat as well. also make sure no other plants on your property have broad mites..

So pack up and move, or burn the house down is what you're telling me? Start from seed in a new spot maybe? I appreciate your opinion, however this is not a very practical or realistic solution:thank you:.

The grow is in a 4x8 tent. Can't I just sacrificially burn the tent, bomb the house, Sanitize the equipment with bleach/alcohol get a new tent, BOG seeds and start over? Aborting/shutting down for a few weeks to debug/clean would be brutal, but doable. An actual move, without a successful harvest isn't possible. I'm already in the hole from previous bad harvests from the BM's. This most recent crop seems especially susceptible to them.

My place is a small studio(600 sqft) with hard floors. I'd think a few good bombings, coupled with a new tent would do the trick. Maybe hit them with Avid in veg, just to be safe. Thoughts anybody?

Ez Rider

Veteran
Heat treat the tent to 120F for an hour or so. That will kill mites. Then get some OGBiowar.

Are you saying to heat the tent with the plants in it? Or are you in "the plants are doomed" camp?

Which type of OGBiowar? How often? For how long? I have very little knowledge of BM's or how to treat them. Trying to get up to speed, any help in the right direction is appreciated.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Plants in the tent.
All of your questions have been answered many times in the thread.
Do some reading and use the search function.
If you're still in veg, plants aren't doomed, although heat treatments can be done in flower too. Aspirin in the rez helps knock back the BM toxins.
All of this has been explained previously.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
perhaps we should have a bm treatments only thread/sticky so that its easier for people having issues. id be a nervous wreck after reading this whole thread..

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I got that exact one mate... the only problem is it can be a little two powerful..but you will see them! and while your bored you can look at blood cells etc lol

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
yeah, it is pretty powerful! haven't looked at the blood cells that came with it but sure did get a close look at my plants. so far so good. no creepy crawlies! knock on wood.:dance013:
had to sandwich the leaf between two slides to get a good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.