What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
You can eliminate them for good... I have done it in a few spots including Warehouses .... We've been Clean for 8 months now... Have brought in multiple cuts from everywhere ... just have all the Chemicals on Deck and you can kill them off for good.. you have to bring your "A" game....which we all will to save our gardens

max_well

I'm looking for updates from those who've been unlucky enough to encounter broad mites on their ladies..
After rotation of Forbid / Avid on plants early in veg ~6-7 weeks ago, I am now 3 weeks into flower and have seen no sign of them. However a friend that I gave cuts to that did less complete treatments has just realized a huge population in his garden which is in week 5 of 12/12. The damage was pretty brutal on 20% of the room; pest basically munches all the pistils, turning them brown and leaving the buds with a dry and lifeless look. They seem to work their way up and down the plant hitting each flowering site. Surprising to me, the leaves all look in tact and pretty much as normal.. no signs of deficiency or much physical damage. On some plants all buds are dead, others, where the damage is less complete, have some flowers that look normal and others completely dead.
He has removed the badly affected plants from the garden and treated everything with the Safers liquid sulfur product mentioned in this thread. Sulfur seems to be the traditional treatment used by grape growers in Spain and elsewhere. A day later the population has been significantly cut, but definitely not eradicated.
I've also suggested he check into the Triple Action Neem and Conserve SC recommended by Storm Shadow (thx SS for all the thorough suggestions-- your posts helped me realize consistency required for treatment ! these are not one and done pests! need multiple products applied in rotation and with consistency to kill all stages.. and anything that has been hit too hard is best discarded or 'rogued' as they say in the commercial greenhouse community)

There's a thread warning about this pest on the Progressive Options page on w**dtracker.com , which is a big cutting supplier outside of LA; seems like they have distributed some infected clones around... so folks in SoCal beware and know what to look for! these are quite hard to see, so lots of awareness and monitoring is required to notice these before the population is significant.
Any further insight / experiences with these are appreciated!

S

Shan Diego

No pest strips. Just make sure he turns off the exhaust fan during the dark hours and put the strips in there. A vigorous circulatory fan inside should remain on. People who don't understand how to read and interpret scientific literature tend to grossly exaggerate the toxicity of dichlorvos to humans. It doesn't stick around, and it isn't that dangerous. I do hold my breath while I go in to remove the strips and turn the exhaust back on, I don't want to take any chances. As a reference, you should compare how the scientific community describes the air you are exposed to while in your car on a California freeway...its much worse than the data for this chemical...

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Maxwell, Im sorry your friend picked up the Borg. Like you said, it takes continued measures to eradicate these pests, and preventative measures to ensure they never get a strangle hold again. I hope he can recover from this quickly. Its a horrible situation to be in. I feel sor him.

Id like to offer some advice on Spinosad though. Spinosad isn't the most effective treatment. In a study Ill link to, Spinosad 45c was only 40% effective compared to Control plants, and this Spinosad product has a greater amount of the active ingredient than Conserve Sc(45% to 11.6%) Soft soaps were a more effective treatment than Spinosad. I doubt Ill buy any more Spinosad now that Im out, and stick to the more effective treatments.

Here is the link.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
I'm looking for updates from those who've been unlucky enough to encounter broad mites on their ladies..
!

I have had good luck using predator mites on my flowering girls. My broad mite population ran unchecked all through veg & 4 weeks into 12/12. They were the only Rx I did on the flower room. I went from being able to find BM easily on every plant to not being able to find any.

ghostnugz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No pest strips. Just make sure he turns off the exhaust fan during the dark hours and put the strips in there. A vigorous circulatory fan inside should remain on. People who don't understand how to read and interpret scientific literature tend to grossly exaggerate the toxicity of dichlorvos to humans. It doesn't stick around, and it isn't that dangerous. I do hold my breath while I go in to remove the strips and turn the exhaust back on, I don't want to take any chances. As a reference, you should compare how the scientific community describes the air you are exposed to while in your car on a California freeway...its much worse than the data for this chemical...

dont know how bad this is but ive just been leaving the pest strip in my tents 24/7. all my exhaust goes straight out the windows though... been dealingn with pm off and on for the last few months so im not really into the idea of turning off my exhaust for any extended period of time. also i do put the strips in zip lock bags while im working.

chemoboi

I have had good luck using predator mites on my flowering girls. My broad mite population ran unchecked all through veg & 4 weeks into 12/12. They were the only Rx I did on the flower room. I went from being able to find BM easily on every plant to not being able to find any.

Which predators did you go with?

the gnome

Veteran
I finally found out thanks to ghostnugz whats been killing my fooking crops since last sept!
does floromite work? I have that.
sounds like avid is a sure fire killer of these little suckers, where do you get avid at?
I have some spinosad and read where it works and it doesn't,
is it just a matter of concentration?

I'm so happy to finally find out whats been happening to plants,
its been hell for the last
six months!

Grow Tech

Veteran
Which predators did you go with?

Sorry about the delay Chemoboi....I used "Neoseiulus californicus"

Hey The Gnome...sorry you had to join our party. Unfortunately, Floramite does not work on Broad Mites ( at least well).

the gnome

Veteran
yeah...this is one party I didn't need lol!

well i hate to hear about the floromite, I guess avid or forbid will be the heavy duty stuff, till then I with use no pest strips and and see how they like that.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
yeah...this is one party I didn't need lol!

well i hate to hear about the floromite, I guess avid or forbid will be the heavy duty stuff, till then I with use no pest strips and and see how they like that.

This is a Shitty party to be at no doubt, but there is hope around the corner with the right treatments. Its been about two weeks since I used Forbid @ 1/8th Teaspoon/gallon plus Monterey Spinosad 60ml/gallon. This knocked them back, but it wasn't enough to eliminate the buggers.

The plants have responded well still, some better than others. While my MangoHaze seem to be impervious to them after suffering badly before. Ever since the reveg it seems the mites avoid them. But anyways, back to results thus far. Most of my plants are doing much better, but they require repeat applications of Miticide if your mite infestation is bad, such as mine was/is. Always hit the newest growth with each application. Its critical to apply the miticide there.

I just applied Avid last night @ 1.1ml/gallon to my plants in veg. I hope this will wipe em out, but Ill be hitting them up in another 28 days with Forbid again. Im gonna find a good soft soap wash to apply as another preventative measure in the meantime.

Grow Tech

Veteran
Its been about two weeks since I used Forbid @ 1/8th Teaspoon/gallon plus Monterey Spinosad 60ml/gallon.

Hey Dave,
Did you mix the Forbid & Spinosad together or spray each seperately? I know of I used to mix Orthonex & Malathion together in the same tank for ornamentals & it gave a nice synergistic effect.

Midnight

Veteran
LOL, you guys are fighting a losing battle. The only cure for these fuckers is to toss everything, nuke your room and start over. You'll see.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
LOL, you guys are fighting a losing battle. The only cure for these fuckers is to toss everything, nuke your room and start over. You'll see.

Your funny dude...sorry you couldnt keep up with the routine to eliminate these fuckers... I dont have them anymore...havent for quite sometime...and they were everywhere....just because your work ethic and budget didnt allow you to get the job done...doesnt mean we''ll follow in your footsteps... they are easy as fuck to kill with all the chemicals rotated just a few times.... :ying:

S

Shan Diego

I eliminated them with one application of Avid, and I cannot imagine being more infested than I was. I added a few drop of dish detergent to ensure adequate adhesion and I took great care to completely saturate every node. It was not a casual spraying, nor an easy task, but it was effective in eradicating them.

the gnome

Veteran
This is a Shitty party to be at no doubt, but there is hope around the corner with the right treatments. Its been about two weeks since I used Forbid @ 1/8th Teaspoon/gallon plus Monterey Spinosad 60ml/gallon. This knocked them back, but it wasn't enough to eliminate the buggers.

Hey Dave,
Did you mix the Forbid & Spinosad together or spray each seperately?.

bump... hey dave...did you mix the two together?
if not did your treat with the forbid and the spino in the same sitting or alternating every few dyas or so?
I'm getting more spino today and ordering avid and forbid.

I eliminated them with one application of Avid, and I cannot imagine being more infested than I was. I added a few drop of dish detergent to ensure adequate adhesion and I took great care to completely saturate every node. It was not a casual spraying, nor an easy task, but it was effective in eradicating them.

one application and gone, did you retreat for the egg hatchlings?
or does avid do in eggs?
how much water do you add a few drops of dishsoap to.

feeling much better today knowing death is right around the corner, i tented one of my grows in plastic and put a few NPS's in last nite, anxious to see some of these fukers in their death throes... it will make my day!

Grow Tech

Veteran
bump... hey dave...did you mix the two together?if not did your treat with the forbid and the spino in the same sitting or alternating every few dyas or so?

one application and gone, did you retreat for the egg hatchlings?
or does avid do in eggs?
how much water do you add a few drops of dishsoap to.

i tented one of my grows in plastic and put a few NPS's in last nite, anxious to see some of these fukers in their death throes... it will make my day!

Avid does work on eggs & it is "translaminar" meaning it enters the leaf and has some residual killing power

I would wait 2 days before judging the effects of the HSNPS

the gnome

Veteran
on the NPS Ive been using them for a few years now and they do in regular mites
but they are much more effective if you concentrate the gas, like tenting plants in plastic, you can over do it though.
two years ago someone here on IC put a small plant(16oz cup) and put it in a small square box just big enough for the plants and strip, and left it over nite and the plant died.

i had 2 trays of 3 wk old seedlings in beer cups and found mites and eggs had made a home on several plants, the seedling room was small, 3x4 w/8ft ceiling.
I put a NPS in the middle of the plants and 3 hours later nearly 25% were inactive and dying, they were the ones that couldn't get away from the strip fast enough.
so I got another strip in and put one at each end of the trays and i six hours about 3/4 were dead or inactive.
i could have tented the trays and 1 NPS would have done the job completely in 6 hours.

I have an idea on how to knock em down using a heat gun like you use for stripping paint.
I bet you can hit the plant st close range quickly with hurting the plant but frying the mites, i'm giving it a try tonite and see what it does.
I know it will kill em but if you have to hit it long enough to kill the mite and maybe eggs also but not damage the greens
it won't get all of them of course
but it will put a major dent in their plans for the day :joint:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts