What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moodster

i was sceptical at 1st but retrogrow is straight on the money here my neighbour was just about to bust the avid out when we thought we would give the heat treatment a go , we put them into the heat tent and they were at deaths door we sealed em up and waited for 3 hours we unzipped the tent to find the plants all perked up and loving life again no damage at all MANY THANKS to RETROGROW the heat treatment really works we are gonna hit them again today with the heat then just feed em the asprin i will throw some pics up later thanks retrogrow unless every1 trys the heat how can they comment ?? broad mites cant handle high temps or thier eggs !!

M

moodster

nope m8 you can use the heat treatment all the way thru veg and flower no ill effects what so ever just healthier perkier plants thanks again retrogrow

LEDNewbie

Veteran
nope m8 you can use the heat treatment all the way thru veg and flower no ill effects what so ever just healthier perkier plants thanks again retrogrow

What temp did you go up to?

So 3 hours huh. Think a propane heater would hurt the plants?

the gnome

Veteran
I believe I'm the first person to try this. I have been battling broad/cyclamen mites for years. In researching, I found that commercial nurseries and greenhouses use hot water to kill mites by submerging plants in water @115 degrees F. This is common practice and works for them, but when I tried dunking cannabis in hot water, I found that they don't like it. It ruins them. So, I thought, if heat is known to kill them, but cannabis can't take the hot water dunks, I would try hot air. I tried it out of desperation and with nothing to lose, and found it works. Plants perked right up, and I confirmed with microscope that mites and their eggs were killed. Eggs shrivel up, like raisins.

conrats and way to go retro :good:
Ive been thinking about the heat treat ment too, but dunking larger plants is unfeasable.
ggreatful to see someone took the step for all of us.
i also thought if the eggs would survive...
so the heat treatment is a double whammy to those vermin
and their eggs.... YES! :laughing:

not long ago i read a report from the FSU agri-extension web site that temps off 115 with 100% Rh
for ?? x-number of hours would kill the broads but no mention of the eggs.

Ive been thinking of another way of heat treatment and need to give it a go, as i too have been battling this scourge since nov 2010 and i have a nice batch of broads now in a veg garden
that will be guinea pigs.

I'll try it today or tomorrow and see if it works

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
conrats and way to go retro :good:
Ive been thinking about the heat treat ment too, but dunking larger plants is unfeasable.
ggreatful to see someone took the step for all of us.
i also thought if the eggs would survive...
so the heat treatment is a double whammy to those vermin
and their eggs.... YES! :laughing:

not long ago i read a report from the FSU agri-extension web site that temps off 115 with 100% Rh
for ?? x-number of hours would kill the broads but no mention of the eggs.

Ive been thinking of another way of heat treatment and need to give it a go, as i too have been battling this scourge since nov 2010 and i have a nice batch of broads now in a veg garden
that will be guinea pigs.

I'll try it today or tomorrow and see if it works

Try it. You will be amazed. Not only does heat kill the broads on your plants, but also in your whole room. This is important, because if they are on your plants, they are also all over the place. They blow on wind currents, and get in your ducting, etc. But, they cannot survive 120 degrees F. And the eggs shrivel like raisins.
No harm to plants at all. In fact, they like it, because after treatment, they perk right up. The humidity doesn't even matter if the temps are there. No mite can survive 120 degrees. Their bodies are too small to dissipate the heat, and they are toast. Use aspirin to mitigate effects of the toxins that broads inject into your plants. I have been battling these for four years, and spent a small fortune on toxic chemicals that are totally unnecessary. Now the battle is over,and those creatures from hell lost! Sorry, chemical companies!
Don't waste your money on chems. Fry 'em!
Important, though to remain vigilant, and keep checking your plants regularly, because if they got in your room once, they can come back. Just repeat heat treatment and you are good. Also sterilizes your room between grows, so it's a "win/win".

the gnome

Veteran
hell yeah retro,
i didn't even think about the sanitizing the entire room aspect.
and yeah, once they get in the room its extremely hard to eradicate them entirely.
the longest i haven't had them come back on me is 4 months.
and i really like the not have to deal with the avid and forbid stuff if i really don't have to and now i can use that stuff to spray on the floor at entry points and hi traffic areas

one of my veg rooms, where i 1st got these things is pretty large,
about 16x25 to 30ft long, it'll be tough to heat that one up to 120 and maintain.
back in my construction days we had these furnace's that ran on kerosene,
100,000btu things, they sounded like an F-15 tomcat engine when they fire up.
not sure about the fumes and how the plants will react to it but it was safe to be in the room with these things running sooooo :shucks:

what i plan is to use a heat gun to do a spot treatment.
I believe it will work.

I got this idea from battling wasps, i have a blowtroch used to lay down single ply roofing systems, it puts out a FLAME!

up in the eaves or other places you don't want to risk starting a fire with this torch, i found giving the nests/wasps a brief blast
with the torch, less than a second and they were dixie fried!
most were near death, and nearly all were dead with an hour,
i would hit em again and put em out of their misery.
I think a quick pass with the heat gun will knock those bastards into to the after life with their eggs and not cause much if any damage to the plants

its like you can run your hand through the flame of a candle briefly and be fine, but the mite will be exterminated.... we'll see soon

I'll try it today or tomorrow and see how it works

protected%20torch.jpg

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
does IC have an ignore feature?
there's a few shit slingers that would be on it on already
and another added to it now :jerkit:

RetroGrow

Veteran
hell yeah retro,
i didn't even think about the sanitizing the entire room aspect.
and yeah, once they get in the room its extremely hard to eradicate them entirely.
the longest i haven't had them come back on me is 4 months.
and i really like the not have to deal with the avid and forbid stuff if i really don't have to and now i can use that stuff to spray on the floor at entry points and hi traffic areas

one of my veg rooms, where i 1st got these things is pretty large,
about 16x25 to 30ft long, it'll be tough to heat that one up to 120 and maintain.
back in my construction days we had these furnace's that ran on kerosene,
100,000btu things, they sounded like an F-15 tomcat engine when they fire up.
not sure about the fumes and how the plants will react to it but it was safe to be in the room with these things running sooooo :shucks:

what i plan is to use a heat gun to do a spot treatment.
I believe it will work.

I got this idea from battling wasps, i have a blowtroch used to lay down single ply roofing systems, it puts out a FLAME!

up in the eaves or other places you don't want to risk starting a fire with this torch, i found giving the nests/wasps a brief blast
with the torch, less than a second and they were dixie fried!
most were near death, and nearly all were dead with an hour,
i would hit em again and put em out of their misery.
I think a quick pass with the heat gun will knock those bastards into to the after life with their eggs and not cause much if any damage to the plants

its like you can run your hand through the flame of a candle briefly and be fine, but the mite will be exterminated.... we'll see soon

I'll try it today or tomorrow and see how it works

View Image

Hey Gnome, be careful with those torches!:)
You can heat your room up to 120 F pretty easily, depending on the climate where you live of course. If you are in a cold area, it'll just take more heat, that's all. If you turn off all AC and ventilation, leave your lights on, and that should bring your room temperature up to 105 or so. Turn the heat on in your house, if possible. Then just add space heaters as needed. You will reach 120 pretty easily, methinks. You only have to maintain temperatures for an hour or two. I haven't done any extensive tests as to exactly how long is the optimum time, as all my broads are history now, but I can tell you that an hour worked for me, and others have left it for three hours with no ill effects, so pick your poison:) Ignore the hater(s) and go for it. If you are at all worried about the effects of heat on your plants, try it on a couple first, not your whole crop, but I do promise that it works for sure and the plants love it! Just continue to monitor your plants,and repeat the process as needed if they come back. And as far as disinfecting your entire room and all surfaces, nothing beats heating the whole place up in between grows. Your broads will be history.
:ying:

RetroGrow

Veteran
What temp did you go up to?

So 3 hours huh. Think a propane heater would hurt the plants?

Do NOT use propane. The fumes are harmful. Leave the lights on, turn your heat on, and go to Home Depot and buy some electric space heaters.

S

sanvanalona

heating past 127 only hurt 2 of 40 for me, and they were weak to begin with. thanks for the help retro

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Avid FTW, Forbid as a rotation. Predators if you're in flower &/or as a prevent.

S

sanvanalona

Yeah going to get the ACid, i mean avid now. I want these fuckers gone!!!!!! Thanks for all the help I am getting ready to post some photos very soon, just trying to get them figured out on my new microscope that runs through the phone.

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
I have had my AC freeze up on me plenty of times in the past (with and without CO2) just to come into my flower room being 100-120F for multiple hours....Never once did it ever ruin any of my harvest, did the plants love it, of course not but it never came close to ever killing them IME, so the claim to lose thousands over it sounds exaggerated to me. Then again if I had to actually tell people I've been growing over a decade and rip on others members grows that aren't of adequate size I'd probably do it cause I had small dick. LOL absolutely pathetic...

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
heating past 127 only hurt 2 of 40 for me, and they were weak to begin with. thanks for the help retro

Just FYI: 120 degrees is more than sufficient. I wouldn't push it any more than that. I don't know what temperature might prove detrimental to plants, but no reason to go over 120, so why push your luck. I'm glad you got your scope. It will prove invaluable.

the gnome

Veteran
although the room is the ideal way to use heat theres situation where it may not be feasible like a very large room
the smaller the room the easier it gets.
so I started thinking of alternative ways to kill the broads with heat.

when the weather warms, a car or preferably a van easily hits 120 and you can crack the window as needed to control temps
or add a space heater to get to 120.

an attic hits 120 with ease and lots more.
if you have a powered attic vent they have adjustable thermostats that start @120 and go up from there

any other ideas out there? :chin:

RetroGrow

Veteran
although the room is the ideal way to use heat theres situation where it may not be feasible like a very large room
the smaller the room the easier it gets.
so I started thinking of alternative ways to kill the broads with heat.

when the weather warms, a car or preferably a van easily hits 120 and you can crack the window as needed to control temps
or add a space heater to get to 120.

an attic hits 120 with ease and lots more.
if you have a powered attic vent they have adjustable thermostats that start @120 and go up from there

any other ideas out there? :chin:

Good ideas!
Keep 'em coming.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Keep the good info coming RG...

OP

I'll try. Thread was closed for awhile due to thread crapping by one individual, but now I see cooler heads have prevailed, so am grateful for that. Recommend ignoring him. He's only looking for an argument. After all, it's a sticky for a reason, and this is the worst plague ever to infect our plants, difficult to diagnose and get rid of. It's epidemic in the U.S., due to so many clones being passed around. Don't think it's much of a problem in U.K., Europe, where the mods are from. They are lucky. But now we have the knowledge to destroy them, even without chemicals. A microscope and eternal vigilance are the keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts