What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroGrow

Veteran
So I am on my way to the Bay today to get a microscope among other things. Got the room to 130 for four hours yesterday and one more time this week and I will move on to flower. All of my plants are seemingly much better, lots more growth and it looks normal too. I will update asap, especially when I can see what is going on with all of these.

That's good, because I had success with the heat treatments, so confirmation from others could mean that chems are not necessary at all for those for whom heat is practical. May be impractical for a really big room, but for a small or average sized room, heat should work fine, in conjunction with predators in flower, and aspirin.
Good luck and keep us posted.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Aspirin??? Please explain.

How much heat and for how long does it take to kill mites? Does heat kill there eggs as well? Is this proven to work 100%? If it does I would like to implement heat as part of my tear down room disinfectant inbetween grows.

medicalmj

Veteran

Plants make salicylic acid to trigger natural defenses against bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Aspirin thus is an activator of ‘Systemic Acquired Resistance’ (SAR). However, plants often don’t produce the acid quickly enough to prevent injury when attacked by a microbe. Spraying aspirin on the plants speeds up the SAR response. Tests have shown this works on many crops, producing better plants using less pesticide. “It also makes it possible to successfully grow many fine heirloom varieties which were discarded because they lacked disease resistance.

Scientists first encountered the SAR phenomenon in the 1930s. After encountering a pathogen, plants use salicylic acid as a key regulator of SAR and expression of defense genes. Only recently have companies begun marketing salicylic acid and similar compounds as a way to activate SAR in crops.

Experiment by spraying some plants with a 1:10,000 solution (3 aspirins dissolved in 4 gallons of water), leaving other plants unsprayed. Tests have shown that the SAR activation lasts for weeks to months. Too much can prove toxic however.

S

sanvanalona

What method(s) do you use to heat your room up to 120-130degrees
????

propane heater?

Luckily I live under the warm cali sun and was able to shut my fans off and pump let the room heat to 130. It was not too difficult but may be in very cold areas. I will know tomorrow how this has worked.....updates soon.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Plants make salicylic acid to trigger natural defenses against bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Aspirin thus is an activator of ‘Systemic Acquired Resistance’ (SAR). However, plants often don’t produce the acid quickly enough to prevent injury when attacked by a microbe. Spraying aspirin on the plants speeds up the SAR response. Tests have shown this works on many crops, producing better plants using less pesticide. “It also makes it possible to successfully grow many fine heirloom varieties which were discarded because they lacked disease resistance.

Scientists first encountered the SAR phenomenon in the 1930s. After encountering a pathogen, plants use salicylic acid as a key regulator of SAR and expression of defense genes. Only recently have companies begun marketing salicylic acid and similar compounds as a way to activate SAR in crops.

Experiment by spraying some plants with a 1:10,000 solution (3 aspirins dissolved in 4 gallons of water), leaving other plants unsprayed. Tests have shown that the SAR activation lasts for weeks to months. Too much can prove toxic however.

I have found that putting aspirin in your water/nute solution works much better than foliar spray, and there are NO toxic effects at all. One tablet 325 MG. per gallon throughout the grow. No ill effects at all. Just happy, disease free plants. This is from years of doing it, not just reading about it on the internet. Foliar spray is good for outdoor plants, but for cannabis indoors, go with drench. Improvement overnight. Guaranteed. I wouldn't post it if I hadn't tested it.

RetroGrow

Veteran

How much heat and for how long does it take to kill mites? Does heat kill there eggs as well? Is this proven to work 100%? If it does I would like to implement heat as part of my tear down room disinfectant inbetween grows.

I believe I'm the first person to try this. I have been battling broad/cyclamen mites for years. In researching, I found that commercial nurseries and greenhouses use hot water to kill mites by submerging plants in water @115 degrees F. This is common practice and works for them, but when I tried dunking cannabis in hot water, I found that they don't like it. It ruins them. So, I thought, if heat is known to kill them, but cannabis can't take the hot water dunks, I would try hot air. I tried it out of desperation and with nothing to lose, and found it works. Plants perked right up, and I confirmed with microscope that mites and their eggs were killed. Eggs shrivel up, like raisins. This may be not be practical for large grow rooms or wharehouses, as it would be more difficult to heat them up, but I suppose it might be doable if they had the means to heat the rooms up enough. In a small room it is easy. Just leave lights on, turn off all fans/air conditioning, and the heat should go up to about 105-110 just from that, depending on your climate. Then add space heaters to get the temperature up to 120 degrees F or more, and leave it for a couple or three hours. Plants are not damaged at all by these temperatures, at least for a few hours. Haven't tried it for longer than that, but it doesn't matter, because mites can't survive for that long. In an empty room, you can leave hot temperatures for as long as you like.
I would like to see more people try this and report back here in this thread. Remember, when dealing with broads, you must confirm with a microscope. Check plant leaf undersides for eggs and mites before and after. Eggs are easier to see than mites. If you have them before, you will see that mites are dead afterwards, and eggs are shriveled up-dead. I haven' tried this with spider mites, but believe it would work for them also. Each type of mite has a temperature range they can tolerate, so check your mite's tolerances, and note that heat will kill predators also.

medicalmj

Veteran
I have found that putting aspirin in your water/nute solution works much better than foliar spray, and there are NO toxic effects at all. One tablet 325 MG. per gallon throughout the grow. No ill effects at all. Just happy, disease free plants. This is from years of doing it, not just reading about it on the internet. Foliar spray is good for outdoor plants, but for cannabis indoors, go with drench. Improvement overnight. Guaranteed. I wouldn't post it if I hadn't tested it.

I've been hip to salicylic acid and willow bark for a bit, but haven't really tried it, and yeah had to copy and paste...got lazy:) 325 mg/gal seems to be the sweet spot with no toxic effects.

Do you think foliar is best to build up SAR in case of an attack by terrestrial pest or PM, v drench??

RetroGrow

Veteran
I've been hip to salicylic acid and willow bark for a bit, but haven't really tried it, and yeah had to copy and paste...got lazy:) 325 mg/gal seems to be the sweet spot with no toxic effects.

Do you think foliar is best to build up SAR in case of an attack by terrestrial pest or PM, v drench??

I prefer drench indoors for cannabis. For PM I would use Eagle or Greencure, or other anti-fungal. For pests, Safer Soap, or other insecticidals. Aspirin is to build up immune system against disease. To toughen plants against pests, use silica.

medicalmj

Veteran
I prefer drench indoors for cannabis. For PM I would use Eagle or Greencure, or other anti-fungal. For pests, Safer Soap, or other insecticidals. Aspirin is to build up immune system against disease. To toughen plants against pests, use silica.

Thanks for the reply! My girls are clean so no need for the greencure or anything else right now. But last spring sucked for PM so do you think aspirin will help to fend off potential issues that may arise in the next couple months?

LEDNewbie

Veteran
So it sounds like this aspirin thing wound be good to do just to boost up the plants immune system then? How often should someone water with aspirin? Once a week? When should this start? First week of veg?

RetroGrow

Veteran
So it sounds like this aspirin thing wound be good to do just to boost up the plants immune system then? How often should someone water with aspirin? Once a week? When should this start? First week of veg?

This has all been spelled out in previous post.
Please reread.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Thanks for the reply! My girls are clean so no need for the greencure or anything else right now. But last spring sucked for PM so do you think aspirin will help to fend off potential issues that may arise in the next couple months?

Aspirin doesn't stop PM. It boosts plants immune system against diseases, which are often vectored by pests like RAs, fungas gnats, white flies, and against the toxins introduced by broads.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Aspirin doesn't stop PM. It boosts plants immune system against diseases, which are often vectored by pests like RAs, fungas gnats, white flies, and against the toxins introduced by broads.

I think I have/had broad mites....? Clear looking mite can only be seen under a 100X Microscope. Sprayed the shit out of my plants with Bug B Gone and will do so a few more times every 3-4 days.

Any how, my vegging plants are showing black spots on the leafs. And just looking like shit in general. Think giving them some aspirin will help them out?? If so, how long before you think I will see a difference?

Just out of curiosity, what is it exactly in the aspirin that helps the plants out???

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
Wow what a clusterfuck of misinformation...retrogrow I personally wouldn't promote heat upwards to 120 degrees, to say that doesn't effect them negatively in either the immediate or long run, is just plain wrong.

Oh and stormshadow, ALL your posts' are useless, especially when you're complaining without bringing anything to the tale yourself. I swear your posts always come off like some hs girl dear diary mentality.

Anyways...

Avid does the trick for BMs as I'm sure many have said, (I'd suggest .75-1.2 ml/gal at most) but also don't over do it (too much applied/applied too often) because they can build an immunity and then the bm's wont be able to be contained. It's like a virus in the medical field, the more antibiotics you throw at them the harder the virus tries to figure out how to fight through it and when it does you're fucked, ever hear of MRSA?

Anyways do what you will, but broads are a bitch and I would not take them lightly as many crops have be destroyed by them.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Wow what a clusterfuck of misinformation...retrogrow I personally wouldn't promote heat upwards to 120 degrees, to say that doesn't effect them negatively in either the immediate or long run, is just plain wrong.

Oh and stormshadow, ALL your posts' are useless, especially when you're complaining without bringing anything to the tale yourself. I swear your posts always come off like some hs girl dear diary mentality.

Anyways...

Avid does the trick for BMs as I'm sure many have said, (I'd suggest .75-1.2 ml/gal at most) but also don't over do it (too much applied/applied too often) because they can build an immunity and then the bm's wont be able to be contained. It's like a virus in the medical field, the more antibiotics you throw at them the harder the virus tries to figure out how to fight through it and when it does you're fucked, ever hear of MRSA?

Anyways do what you will, but broads are a bitch and I would not take them lightly as many crops have be destroyed by them.

Hey Loser... I told everyone about Avid on the 1st page you moron...try reading the whole thread b4 you take that footlong out ur mouth

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4863383&postcount=9

RetroGrow

Veteran

Anyways...

You are not only wrong, but completely out of line. Your arrogance is exceeded only by your ignorance. I have done this successfully a number of times, and I know it works, and I know those temperatures do No HARM to the plants. This has also been confirmed by others who have PMd me thanking me for the idea. They tried it and had 100% success. All mites & eggs destroyed, and no harm to plants, without using toxic chemicals. If you'd rather spray your plants with toxins, that's your business. But don't tell me it doesn't work, or that it harms the plants, because you have no idea what you are talking about.
And since you haven't tried it, your opinion is meaningless. Test it and prove me wrong, or STFU.
You can't, because it's you who are mistaken. I wouldn't post it if I hadn't tested it.

moonunit

I have been battling broadmites for a few weeks now( latest and worst outbreak yet), heres a good pdf and i will add anything i dont see already in this thread. These little fekkers are serious shite and the more solid info we have the better.
Much respect
Moonunit

Attachments

• Broadmite.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts