What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I would think if you sprayed at flip, I would think most things would be
at very low levels by day 60.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Despite reading 45 day residual on Forbid i have heard people say tests have show it lasts longer. With that in mind how close to flowering would people (who use it) consider it acceptable to use?

It's nasty stuff. Do not use in flower, and if you are close to flowering time, I would extend my veg time if I used it.
See this page for reference:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/O&T/flowers/note28/note28.html

A much safer choice if you are close to flower is abamectin. Most common brand of this is Avid.
Abamectin is classified as a General Use Pesticide (GUP), meaning that it is unlikely to harm the environment as long as you follow the directions on the label. Anyone can safely use a GUP, not just the pros. Abamectin is also classified as a class IV toxin on a scale of I to IV, where I is highly toxic and IV is practically nontoxic. That is your best choice if you are late.

For information on Forbid, go here:
http://www.bayeres.ca/resources/bayeres/Technical_Bulletins/Bayer_EN_Forbid.pdf
Or Google it.
One thing: Forbid is very expensive.

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent info, i have both Avid and Forbid so will go with Avid on these ladies.
What dose of Avid should i use?
I am going to wear a chemical splash suit, gloves, goggles and breathing protection when i spray. I am also going to be using a pump sprayer with a wand. Any other tips on safety or general use with these chemicals would be much appreciated.
Peace

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Excellent info, i have both Avid and Forbid so will go with Avid on these ladies.
I am going to wear a chemical splash suit, gloves, goggles and breathing protection when i spray. I am also going to be using a pump sprayer with a wand. Any other tips on safety or general use with these chemicals would be much appreciated.
Peace

Just make sure it's the properly rated respirator...you're good otherwise IMO

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Peace

1.2ml per gallon (3.8 liters) tops for both avid and forbid. no need to use more. forbid gets the eggs, avid does not.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
I thought the same thing about the BM's - that they might be like the modern Paraquat..

Moved to a different location. Tossed all but 14 plants. Used my AVID. Ran 1 light dep and 2 greenhouse grows on the property.

Started an indoor grow in an outbuilding.. 2 weeks into flower.

STILL GOT 'EM.

S

sanvanalona

I thought the same thing about the BM's - that they might be like the modern Paraquat..

Moved to a different location. Tossed all but 14 plants. Used my AVID. Ran 1 light dep and 2 greenhouse grows on the property.

STILL GOT 'EM.

Did you get the bm in the greenhouses or dep? Or was it isolated to the indoor? Any info is much appreciated

RetroGrow

Veteran

STILL GOT 'EM.

Yup. Even if you move, they can be in your clothes and other possessions. Not to mention that whitflies carry them, and they can just blow in the wind. They are so small that they literally blow in the wind, and can get on you or your dogs when you are outside at any time. Their preferred food is fruit, so if you live near any orchards, they will be there. Always use aspirin to mitigate their effects, and once you have had them in your location, almost impossible to get rid of. As I have mentioned before though, they can't tolerate heat, so if you have them in your garden, heat the room up to 120 degrees f and they will die, but plants aren't harmed. I have done this several times and can assure everyone that 120 degrees won't hurt your plants, at least not for an hour or so. Haven't tried longer than that, so don't know the limits of plants tolerance to heat. I think as long as they are well hydrated, they will be O.K.Have not tested longer than that. Basically, if you turn off all your fans/AC, and turn the lights on, temps should go over 110, then just add a space heater or two, depending on size of room, and you can hit 120 degrees. Actually, I believe 115 is enough to kill, them, but they are so evil I give them 120. Water dunks in hot water is what they do in commercial greenhouses/nurseries, but I have found that cannabis does not like to be dunked in hot water. But hot air is no problem for them. They are epidemic in Cali & Colorado now, because of so many growers/dispensaries. Also, once you've had them in your space, get predators. They really work, but don't expose them to the heat, because they will die from it too. If you live near fruit growing areas, they are always going to be around.

Last edited:

Lemmy

I've read for hours about the broads an I'm that everyone has posted ! These are by far the worst thing that I have ever had to deal with. I thought that it was TMV for years and had no problem with it. For whatever reason they decided to come to life and completely question my growing skills. I've been battling them for around a month now. I originally hit them with Avid and they laughed at me.. I think they are immune to it now. I have been using Forbid, Avid , Neem and just received Pylon in the mail. I still have them ! I cannot believe these mites.. I have a week left to flip and I'm hoping for the best. I can no longer super crop or top anymore due to celing height. I know every topic has been covered on this , but any final thoughts would be appreciated ..

medicalmj

Veteran
Have you had success ? I have thrown everything at them.

Is elimination worth $400 to you?

If so Pylon is the best miticide on the market. It's made for commercial greenhouses and it is safe for food crops. It is a translaminar making large rooms a cinch. You'll have to order online. $400 a pint, makes 300 gallons. Find someone to share it with. And don't use it more than a couple-three times per grow!

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Is elimination worth $400 to you?

If so Pylon is the best miticide on the market. It's made for commercial greenhouses and it is safe for food crops. It is a translaminar making large rooms a cinch. You'll have to order online. $400 a pint, makes 300 gallons. Find someone to share it with. And don't use it more than a couple-three times per grow!

He said he used Pylon a couple of posts back.
Not sure what kind of super Broad Mites he's got. Avid @ .75 mL/gal worked in one application for me. I did clean the entire room & treated everything. If Avid, Forbid & Pylon didnt do the trick for Lemmy I'd say it's time to chuck everything. Spend the next few months spraying grow room surfaces regularly with absurdly strong bleach solution, then release 1000s of N.Califorincus since they can live without prey for awhile. If the list of shit he's tried didnt do the trick, I'd bet my left eye brow that essiential oils aren't going to do the trick. I have to wonder how through his treatments were

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts