What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Twisting Leaves

hamstring

Veteran
Ok, I don't want to be the boy who cried wolf. Little early to be jumping to conclusions but I am hyper-sensitive to this because of earlier problems.

Two strains from regular seed not femed- Blue Cookies & Chem Dawg 4
80/20 Happy Frog and reused Ocean forest with worm castings --no amendments.
600watt MH
72deg and 55% RH with lights on
70deg and 55% RH with lights off
Water PH at approx 6.0
12/22/2021 was when they all germinated 100% germ rate.

Twisting leaves: Its only two plants but its on both strains BC and CD4. The picture with the scissors are is where I also had a crispy spot and took a piece of the leaf to examine under the USB microscope. Those are the two close up pictures taken (front and back of the leaf). I wanted to make sure I didn't have any pest problems. No sign of any pests.

I am not sure the twisted leaf and crispy spot are related but they were both on one of the plants with the twisted leaf. I honestly don't think its a nute problem or it would be showing up in the other plants. Disease maybe, over reaction sure, but just wanted to get thoughts.

Almost forgot the solo cups have GG4 clones in them. Same medium, happy frog.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0857.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.4 KB ID:	18040761
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0861.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.5 KB ID:	18040762
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0862.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	18040763
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0859 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.6 KB ID:	18040764
Click image for larger version  Name:	S20220112_002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	18040765
Click image for larger version  Name:	S20220112_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	18040766

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
The twisted leaves can come from the genetics so i would not worry so much about them just keep a close eye on them for other nastys but if as you say scoped allready and seen nothing under scope maybes been too cautious which is a good idea its part of life good luck :good:

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yea the twisting leaves maybe genetic but also your soil looks quite dry and it can affect how the leaves grow and cause tissue damage.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
In a rich soil environment, the leaves will wave for a while until they mellow out. Nothing to worry about actually it means the plants are doing well and have plenty of nutes. Wow, I hadn't noticed all the wood in Happy Frog before now. Did you add another potting mix to the Happy Frog?😎

Brother Nature

Looks like they're just starting out and getting used to your mix. Otherwise they look happy. Some humans look gross and weird as babies, then grow into perfectly normal adults. Your soil does look very dry though.

hamstring

Veteran
Humidity is too low when the lights are on. I think 65% would be better than the 55% you have now. ;)
Small plants are affected more. Once the plants get bigger it won't matter as much.

Check the pic on this post and try to stay in the orange zone. :)

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...8#post10512838

Trout
Thanks for stopping have followed you for a while. I think you live in Maine. I was in the Navy and stationed in Cutler Maine. That was before electricity was discovered though. I agree most of the VAP chats want you at a higher RH. I have a humidifier in the room but even at full blast I can only get to 55%. I will continue to try and get RH up.

hamstring

Veteran
The twisted leaves can come from the genetics so i would not worry so much about them just keep a close eye on them for other nastys but if as you say scoped allready and seen nothing under scope maybes been too cautious which is a good idea its part of life good luck :good:

Darkside
Thanks I appreciate the advice. Yeah, everything changed for me when I had many issues with spider mites then white flies. I have become hyper-sensitive to any issues.

hamstring

Veteran
In a rich soil environment, the leaves will wave for a while until they mellow out. Nothing to worry about actually it means the plants are doing well and have plenty of nutes. Wow, I hadn't noticed all the wood in Happy Frog before now. Did you add another potting mix to the Happy Frog?😎

Creeper
You have been a great help in the past and I thank you. Great catch you are an astute dude brother.

What I did is a 80/20 mix of Happy Frog to used before Ocean forest along with worm castings. Not sure but that may be what you are seeing. I am aware that Ocean Forest is too hot for seedlings . I figured that since it was used it wouldn't be too hot and was a good way to reuse some soil. I feel like that is pretty much on point by looking at the color of the plants in general.

I had forgotten about the soil mix and made the change to the original post. Thanks again brother.

hamstring

Veteran
Yea the twisting leaves maybe genetic but also your soil looks quite dry and it can affect how the leaves grow and cause tissue damage.

GC
Thanks for offering the advice. Its a little dry but promise its damp a 1.5" below the soil. I have to water every couple of days. I could keep it wetter but since they are so young I didnt want to overwater. I may increase the moisture level.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
80/20 Happy Frog and reused Ocean forest with worm castings --no amendments.
Water PH at approx 6.0

There are 2 things going on:

1) Low pH

I would have added a tablespoon of magnesium lime per gallon. Also, the pH of the water should be 7.0, not 6.0 - especially considering no magnesium lime was added. The short internodal spacing also points to a lack of K takeup - low pH also locks out K.

2) The growroom

I like the chalk (antiseptic) on the wall, however the wood needs to be covered with plastic or chalked thoroughly. Also the floor needs to be cleaned, because all those leaves and pieces of soil are sources for fungi and bacteria.

The blotches on the leaves are either the low pH locking out mobile nutrients (N, P, K, Mg); or fungi/bacteria.

Also, you can give the plants something with a higher phosphorus content, to get the roots to grow, so it can feed more. For instance 200 PPM of a high P/K flowering nutrient and 50 PPM of epsom salt (MgSO4).

And a pH of at least 7.0.

hamstring

Veteran
There are 2 things going on:

1) Low pH

I would have added a tablespoon of magnesium lime per gallon. Also, the pH of the water should be 7.0, not 6.0 - especially considering no magnesium lime was added. The short internodal spacing also points to a lack of K takeup - low pH also locks out K.

2) The growroom

I like the chalk (antiseptic) on the wall, however the wood needs to be covered with plastic or chalked thoroughly. Also the floor needs to be cleaned, because all those leaves and pieces of soil are sources for fungi and bacteria.

The blotches on the leaves are either the low pH locking out mobile nutrients (N, P, K, Mg); or fungi/bacteria.

Also, you can give the plants something with a higher phosphorus content, to get the roots to grow, so it can feed more. For instance 200 PPM of a high P/K flowering nutrient and 50 PPM of epsom salt (MgSO4).

And a pH of at least 7.0.

Hey brother you are giving me way too much credit on the grow room. I live in the midwest US and its a limestone foundation of a home that is +100 years old. No way to stop bugs or creepy crawlers from getting in. Thats just white paint you are seeing on lime stone with a cement coating. Its constantly shedding off. Before starting this grow and after every harvest i spray the whole room with a bleach solution. 100% agree i need to do some cleaning. Oh, the plants are sitting on some open cell white insulation board. Floor would be to cold with out it.

Hey I appreciate the help and I hate the way the these messages come across so please dont take this the wrong. I just went through getting schooled on my PH here just about a month ago or so. Everyone said the PH needed to be around 6. My water was around 8 and run off was at 7ish. I was told this was the problem. I will heed your advice but let me take this slow before I start making too many changes.

I am worried about fungi and bacteria in fact it was my main worry. I have seen this before on a mother plant. The leafs would get crispy without really changing color at all. It was too weird to even bring up because I wasnt sure of all my other inputs/ environmental conditions to bring it up. I now have a good starting place so I will keep an eye out for more of this

Thank you and please keep the advice coming.

hamstring

Veteran
I'm in Canada. ;)

Sorry brother I must have the wrong handle I guess.

We used to drive to Canada, about 40 minutes from the base, to golf and party. The girls all called us Yanks. One time a buddy brought some hash back , which I had no idea about, we got pulled over at the border and searched. He hid it in between my back seats. They threw everything out of the car on the ground. Pulled all the golf clubs out of the bags. i dont know how it didnt get found. Oh to be 20yrs old again.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hey I appreciate the help and I hate the way the these messages come across so please dont take this the wrong. I just went through getting schooled on my PH here just about a month ago or so. Everyone said the PH needed to be around 6. My water was around 8 and run off was at 7ish. I was told this was the problem. I will heed your advice but let me take this slow before I start making too many changes.
I understand.

The thing is that the right pH differs from medium to medium.

Hydro: 5.5-5.8
Coco: 6.0
Organics: 7.0

In organics, the pH is intended to make life easy for aerobic microbes, which can survive in a pH from 6.0 to 8.0. At 7.0 for both the medium and the nutrient solution, you won't have to worry about pH swings.

This is made easier by adding a tablespoon of magnesium lime per gallon. Especially when a mix is based on peat, which is very acidic. The flowering nutrients are also acidic.

hamstring

Veteran
I understand.

The thing is that the right pH differs from medium to medium.

Hydro: 5.5-5.8
Coco: 6.0
Organics: 7.0

In organics, the pH is intended to make life easy for aerobic microbes, which can survive in a pH from 6.0 to 8.0. At 7.0 for both the medium and the nutrient solution, you won't have to worry about pH swings.

This is made easier by adding a tablespoon of magnesium lime per gallon. Especially when a mix is based on peat, which is very acidic. The flowering nutrients are also acidic.

I think I have some garden lime around so it hurt to top dress a tablespoon into the containers.

Thanks

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I think I have some garden lime around so it hurt to top dress a tablespoon into the containers.

Thanks

Usually you should do that when you're mixing the soil itself. Just adding it on top creates all kinds of complications, because it's unlikely to evenly distribute across the soil.

The best thing to do is mix it into the new mix when transplanting. And let it rest for a week, so the magnesium lime can mellow out/soak up water.

hamstring

Veteran
Usually you should do that when you're mixing the soil itself. Just adding it on top creates all kinds of complications, because it's unlikely to evenly distribute across the soil.

The best thing to do is mix it into the new mix when transplanting. And let it rest for a week, so the magnesium lime can mellow out/soak up water.

Thanks brother for chiming in. I busted out the bag of Espoma brand Garden Lime and was going to top dress a couple of plants to see if it would help I will hold off until transplant. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

The next transplant will be for flower into 5 gal containers of Ocean Forest with some worm castings. Does the same apply to ocean forest?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you need to raise humidity then if you have the space,,,a bucket or two of cold water and or some soaking wet towels,,,,,
Well away from any electrical points but it can help,,,,s2