Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TanzanianMagic View Post
    I understand.

The thing is that the right pH differs from medium to medium.

Hydro: 5.5-5.8
    Coco: 6.0
    Organics: 7.0

In organics, the pH is intended to make life easy for aerobic microbes, which can survive in a pH from 6.0 to 8.0. At 7.0 for both the medium and the nutrient solution, you won't have to worry about pH swings.

This is made easier by adding a tablespoon of magnesium lime per gallon. Especially when a mix is based on peat, which is very acidic. The flowering nutrients are also acidic.
    I think I have some garden lime around so it hurt to top dress a tablespoon into the containers.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hamstring View Post

I think I have some garden lime around so it hurt to top dress a tablespoon into the containers.

Thanks
      Usually you should do that when you're mixing the soil itself. Just adding it on top creates all kinds of complications, because it's unlikely to evenly distribute across the soil.

The best thing to do is mix it into the new mix when transplanting. And let it rest for a week, so the magnesium lime can mellow out/soak up water.

Comment

Originally posted by TanzanianMagic View Post

Usually you should do that when you're mixing the soil itself. Just adding it on top creates all kinds of complications, because it's unlikely to evenly distribute across the soil.

The best thing to do is mix it into the new mix when transplanting. And let it rest for a week, so the magnesium lime can mellow out/soak up water.
        Thanks brother for chiming in. I busted out the bag of Espoma brand Garden Lime and was going to top dress a couple of plants to see if it would help I will hold off until transplant. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

The next transplant will be for flower into 5 gal containers of Ocean Forest with some worm castings. Does the same apply to ocean forest?

Comment

If you need to raise humidity then if you have the space,,,a bucket or two of cold water and or some soaking wet towels,,,,,
          Well away from any electrical points but it can help,,,,s2

Comment

I go though a routine here in the winter with hanging wet towels up when the lights come on.

Comment

Originally posted by 944s2 View Post
              If you need to raise humidity then if you have the space,,,a bucket or two of cold water and or some soaking wet towels,,,,,
              Well away from any electrical points but it can help,,,,s2
              Thanks for the advice I have added wet towels. I agree about keeping them away from the electrical. I wring my towel but it still drips a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Three Berries View Post
                I go though a routine here in the winter with hanging wet towels up when the lights come on.
                Thanks , it seems so obvious but I overlooked the idea. I have been hanging a towel in my small grow area.

Comment

You should have your grow set up running though a GFCI outlet or circuit breaker for the best electrical protection with water.

Comment

Originally posted by Three Berries View Post
                    You should have your grow set up running though a GFCI outlet or circuit breaker for the best electrical protection with water.
                    I do brother but thanks for the reminder.

Comment

I wanted to share something I found really interesting. If you look at the first pick you can see the bottom plant is a little darker green than the rest. I accidently bent this plant over and instead of staking it up I decided to try a little experiment. I used a small amount of ocean forest soil to mound around it to hold it up. I knew the ocean forest would act as a top dress.

I expected it would add some N along with other nutes. What came as a complete surprise is this if you look at the second pic you can see this plant has no side branching at all. All the other plants including the pic of the runt of the litter that is staked and tied up has side branches.

Really interesting me. You can see it is the same size as the other plants and has the same amount of nodes so it does not seem to behind the other plants. Why would a little top dress keep the plant from sending out side
                      branches?
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0876.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.9 KB ID:	18043621Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0872.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.6 KB ID:	18043622Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0871.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	18043623Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0875.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	18043624 to

Comment

Working...
                      X